Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

quote:

For a long time, we were at war with The Jackals. Now, finally, we’ve driven them off, and we’re left with this: a year of relative peace. One quiet year, with which to build our community up and learn again how to work together. Come Winter, the Frost Shepherds will arrive and we might not survive the encounter. This is when the game will end. But we don’t know about that yet. What we know is that right now, in this moment, there is an opportunity to build something.

Welcome to the quiet year, a map based community building game taking place after an apocalypse. Each turn represents a week, with a card drawn to produce an event. The player who’s turn it is then choses the event and what it means for the community – good or bad. The players are trying to tell a story, with ups and downs, rather than just working to improve the situation of their town. Everything we do will be represented on the map, which will change as our settlement does.

The game is available here

What makes AQY interesting is the fact that discussion is limited – players can only communicate is set ways. At the start of the game, free discussion is allowed to decide the basic setting of the game, but once the game starts, the players may only speak to each other during a discussion – and then it is limited to a shot, one or two sentence long statement. The only other contact is deciding on how long projects should take.
So, how else do player communicate? If another player does something you don’t agree with, then you can take a contempt token. While this does not do anything mechanically, it does show how much a player feels valued in the game.
I will be running this game, but all that means is that I’ll be the guy with the deck of cards made up and the rulebook, I will also be a player – depending on how many people are interested, we can have more than one game running at a time.
The Map will be a 1000 pixel square, which we will mspaint/photoshop over. Ability to draw is not needed, although I can always replace parts of the map with better symbols if people want.

Game Setup
Want to join? Just make a post here. To begin with, we need to decide on the basic setting for our colony, which will be 60-80 people strong.
After that, we will each add a detail to the map – a lighthouse, cave or something like that
Once we have all done that, we shall each add a resource to the map. Once all resources are added, one will be decided as abundant, the rest shall be scarce.

Turn Sequence

The turn sequence is as follows :

1) Draw a card
2) Reduce project dice
3) Take an action

Actions are :

1) Hold a discussion – The active player will make a statement or ask a question (1-2 sentences) all other players will then respond in turn with a 1-2 sentence reply.
2) Discover something new – maybe good, maybe bad, draw whatever you have discovered on the map
3) Start a project - projects are ways of improving the situation, the group will then decide how long the project will take in weeks.

For the game I am running
I think the settlement should be located in the bombed out ruins of a city. The next three people to post can join the game and add their own ideas.

Please do not comment on this game or any other games if you are not playing in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
I think our community should be a tribe of migrants running from the Jackals and the rigors of the post-war world, recently settled in this place where we hope to find safety and a home.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Our community lived somewhere else once, but we activated a bad machine and had to flee the area. Not all of us survived. We still have part of that machine and keep it partly as a reminder and partly as hope we can make a new good machine one day.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Our community is welcome to outsiders, as long as they seem trustworthy. This has been both good and bad in the past, but we stick by it anyway.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Right, I've added ruins to represent the city, Road and tents to show migrants, the welcome sign to show people we are happy to meet new people. The tracked/funnel thing represents the part of the machine we have brought with us.

I have added a dark and brooding remains of a skyscraper, taller than the rest.

Next up, we each define a resource. (but remember we decide their scarcity after all resources have been built.

I am choosing building materials.

If you want to edit you suggestion on the map, feel free BTW, I just did this so we would have something to look at.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I choose morale. (If people don't like abstract resources I am very willing to change this.)

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

I pick iron. The ruins are full of it, after all- why not put it back to use?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
I choose potable water. A lot of water makes people sick. They lose their hair and die younger than they should. But we have a supply of good water.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

So We have:
Building Materials
Morale
Iron
Potable water

I think Morale or Water should be our abundant resource, as a scarcity of both means this community is up against it.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I vote for water. But morale is also a good choice.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I vote water. Having a source of clean water would be key to a community's success.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

I say morale. Morale can sustain a man through thirst. The opposite is not always true.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Sorry for the delay! I've been busy for the last day.

I'm going to side with Water So this is what we have -

Abundant Water
Scarce Morale
Scarce Building Materials
Scarce Iron.

Turn Order
Gau <-
ibntumart
K Prime
Grey Hunter

The first card is.... The 5 of Hearts!

Gau choose one of the following and answer it, then take an action.

quote:

There is a disquieting legend about this place. What is it?
or...
Alarming weather patterns destroy something. How and what?

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

It is obvious that people used to prosper here; we can read it in the soil, the artifacts, the buildings. Even after the Fall, this place was a sanctuary for the last remnants of civilization as the countryside and other cities descended into anarchy and barbarism. Then suddenly, they were gone. No one knows why or how, but seemingly overnight, the entire population just disappeared. We found a journal of one citizen of this ancient society. It gives few clues as to what happened. The last week is completely missing (having been torn out) and the last entry is a single sentence:

"It is so dark, and they will not let us escape."

I will add a more recent ruin on the outskirts of the city, built after the Fall.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Turn Order
Gau
ibntumart <-
K Prime
Grey Hunter

King of Hearts

quote:

A young boy starts digging in the ground, and
discovers something unexpected. What is it?
or...
An old man confesses to past crimes
and atrocities. What has he done?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
One of Philippa's boys found a strange coffin digging where buildings used to be. The front and sides were clear as glass, though much harder, and two people lay within, arms and legs entwined. Their dark skin had visibly blue veins throughout and faintly glowing wires ran from their spines to the back of the coffin. The coffin would not open.

Action: Start a project
Explore the ruins. We need to know what other mysteries lie in our ruined city. Proposing 4 weeks as the length.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, four weeks sounds about right.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Gau, K-prime, you have to agree on the build time as well, then we can move on.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Four weeks sounds reasonable to me if it's in detail.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I also concur.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Turn Order
Gau
ibntumart
K Prime <-
Grey Hunter

K Prime

Ace of Hearts

quote:

What group has the highest status in the community? What must people do to gain inclusion in this group?
or...
Are there distinct family units in the community? If so, what family structures are common?

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

The greatest amongst us are the Heart-Keepers. They hear the secrets of all the people, in order to prevent tragedy before it begins. What is told to them is kept silent. They act, and all try to guess why, and they say nothing.

A Heart-Keeper student proves their worth by being told the story of the secret of Ming, a question to which there is no answer. They dwell upon it for a week, and bring their answer to the Heart-Keepers. Some are turned away. The rest become the next.

Discussion:

Morale is low. What can be done to rally our people?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Surely a proper building for the Heart Keepers is needed. We should build the Heart Temple.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
We need new blood. Instead of merely welcoming strangers, we should take the initiative and seek out potential additions to our community.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Can I play? This looks like fun

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Well, this is for four players, but it depends on if Gau is going to add to the discussion or not.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I agree that morale is low, but think we need a dream that our entire community can get behind to improve our feelings as a group.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Six of Hearts

I choose

quote:

How old are the eldest members of the community? What special needs do they have?

The oldest people are in their seventies, the radiation and bioweapons from the war have left them frail and in constant need of medical care.

Action - discover something new. A light sees to be coming from the top of the tall tower.

Turn Order
Gau <-
ibntumart
K Prime
Grey Hunter

Eight of Hearts

quote:

An old piece of machinery is discovered, broken but perhaps repairable. What is it? What would it be useful for?
or...
An old piece of machinery is discovered, cursed and dangerous. How does the community destroy it?

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

A storm exposes a twisted mound of metal below a nearby cliff - the Ates of Ameri. Everyone who goes near the Ates immediately becomes sick, and most of the party that discovered it are dead. Several of the strongest people in the community spend most of a week digging a cut underneath the precipice until it collapses and covers the Ates.

Action: Start a Project
We send out a ranging party to search for refugees in the badlands. They are equipped for three weeks of travel. (Sugested Length: 3)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, 3 weeks for looking for survivors sounds about right.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I agree: 3 weeks sounds about right.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

I would say 2, in case of emergencies. That way they have extra in case things go wrong.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Most people said 3, so we will go for that.

Turn Order
Gau
ibntumart <-
K Prime
Grey Hunter

Jack of Hearts

quote:

You see a good omen. What is it?
or...
You see a bad omen. What is it?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Late one night the a terrible noise wakes the entire community. Sirens blast on and off for the better part of an hour, punctuated by nervous voices yelling and crying. No one can find the source or understand the speakers' language.

:siren: Project Completed :siren:
Sweeping through the old buildings nets the community a lot of metal, plastic, and wood debris that can be broken down and reused. For now, we have an abundance of building materials.

Action: Discover Something New
While playing in the brown grass outside the town's limits, Tara's girl came across a strange, shiny metal rod sticking up through the dirt. A few community members helped dig it up, revealing a two meter arm and claw of steel.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Turn Order
Gau
ibntumart
K Prime <-
Grey Hunter

quote:

What important and basic tools does the community lack?
or...
Where are you storing your food? Why is this a risky place to store things?

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

We store the food on the second floor of one of the abandoned buildings, which keeps it safe from petty scavengers. Unfortunately, because of that same safety it is hard for us to reach it, and the stairs grow more fragile each day.

Action: Start a new project

We should turn that metal claw into a welcoming symbol to rally us around. That will probably take about 2 weeks.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Two weeks sounds fine.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Agree.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Agreed.

Me - Nine of Hearts I Choose

quote:

A charismatic young girl tries to tempt many into sinful or dangerous activity. Why does she do this? How does the community respond?

Carol is fascinated by the corpse found with the glowing blue wires. She quickly convinces a group of people into holding nightly vigils at the grave site. The community ignores their strange behavior for now.

Action - Hold a discussion - What should we do about the people worshiping the strange body?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Maybe the lack of any spiritual focus is why morale never seems high and why the younger community members are so eager to latch onto things as gods.

• Locked thread