Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I'm suing you for the three minutes of life you took from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

La Flame released a free album and it's good.

EDIT: T.I.'s verse on Quintana Pt.2 is goddamn great. T.I. has been on it all loving year.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 19, 2014

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

thathonkey posted:

Sorry if this was posted already but a friend just sent me this mixtape from a guy called MICK JENKINS. I had never heard of him before, but so far this is awesome and the production is right up my alley (lots of jazz influence, sample-heavy etc.):

https://soundcloud.com/mickjenkinsmusic/sets/the-waters

ninjaedit: I guess he is related to Pro Era somehow based on the producers and features listed ?

I've found the Water[s] to be my favorite album of the year so far. Trees and Truths is really good also. There's maybe one track that I'd skip on The Water[s], but otherwise it's great throughout which helps, because repeat listenings are required when you're talking about Mick Jenkins.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Dexo posted:

Hmm, Just got a job offer making around twice what I'm making now, What are some of the best come up tracks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMFKle5zRgk

"I call that ballin"

EDIT: Also, a Wimme Nah remix because it is good.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 29, 2014

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Baram posted:

This Jeezy album is fire. Serious TM101 vibes from it.

"Beez Like" is so loving infectious and Boosie's verse on it is gold.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Jet Life's Organized Crime mixtape is out. Pretty decent upon first listen, and "It's Over With" still knocks.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

temple posted:

LOL @ people not recognizing the Isley Brothers. In the hiphop thread.

Dude, most of the posters here are young white kids.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Khagan posted:

So i created a soundcloud commute playlist which could use a few more songs. Currently it has the following:

Run The Jewels - Oh My Darling
Deniro Farrar & Denzel Curry - Bow Down
Rustie feat. Danny Brown - Attak
Big K.R.I.T. - Mt Olympus

Thanks in advance.

Curren$y - 10 Gs Remix
Pizzle - Doubts
King Los - OD
King Los feat. Pizzle - Yellow Tape
Mick Jenkins - Black Sheep

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 25, 2014

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Calling it a more or less follow-up to Cosmogramma is quite apt. It is pretty much a return to form of the FlyLo stuff that made me a believer a few years back. It has a nice balance between meditative chill and "get the gently caress out of my way on the freeway". It also has a little more soul to it, which fills that avant R&B niche I gravitate towards when in a haze. He also threw a little Captain Murphy in there to cover more bases. Quite a solid album, I'd say.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

A bunch of my friends swear by Logic, but I keep hearing a low rent J Cole. I'm also cautiously pessimistic of the direction his sound is going

EDIT: This is a pretty new video he released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSD-oq9krRs

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 14, 2014

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Paperwork is alright, but Hustle Gang's "G.D.O.D 2" has better everything.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

temple posted:

If overrated has a meaning, then R.A.P. Music and Run the Jewels are probably the most overrated rap albums of the post 00s. I can't think of any recent albums less deserving of the praise people heaped upon them.

Aren't you a Childish Gambino stan or something?

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

That new Lupe track is really good.

http://youtu.be/01MMgG7bYBE

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

My top albums:

Cocaine Pinata
Body High
Clivia Demo
Oxymoron
The Water[s]
PRhyme
Seen it All
Rich Nigga Timeline
Monster
Run the Jewels 2 - Edited this in, because I don't know why the gently caress this wasn't here already.

Honorables:

Days Before the Rodeo
36 Seasons
OG Maco EP
Under Pressure
LAW 3: Now or Never
IVRY EP
Ferg Forever
Lox - 2nd and 3rd Trinity Sermons

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 12, 2014

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Cobra Commander posted:

drat I'm the only one that has oxymoron in my top albums of the year. I listened to it on the way to work for about half of this year.

I posted it in mine for the very same reason, as a matter of fact.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

thathonkey posted:

It's pretty funny that someone is trying to use Community as a means of getting people into Donglover's horrible rapping. Now that I think about it, I keep hearing from people that he is funny and a good actor but I've never seen any proof of either of these things in any shape or form.

You're completely right. Comedy is objective.

thathonkey posted:

Did Donald Glover even write for Community? By all means, show me something funny that he has written or some standup or something.
"Show me a thing that I may or may not laugh at, for I am the barometer of humor."

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 14, 2014

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Starlito's "Black Sheep Don't Grin" album just came out, and it is really good. I knew I should've waited to make my AOTY list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8y3SHFvziE

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 15, 2014

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

He was right about Taylor Swift not deserving a grammy.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Weird of him to go off about it at the VMAs then.

Well, I meant VMAs then. Whatever.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I thought we were talking about Azealia Banks

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

All this talk about Asian rappers, and no mention of Towkio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J10do4rsPv8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwj389ssZd4

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Echoing the sentiment for the new Lupe. There might be two tracks at most that I would skip. The production is great all around.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Who stole Temple's kufi?

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

im late on this but future beast mode is flawless. didnt know it was all zaytoven beats too :worship:
Yeah, it's a lot better than Monster.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

My thoughts on TPAB:

Loving you is complicaaaa-ated.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

RAM had way more songs that held up upon repeat listens than TPAB does, though :colbert:

I can only think of like three songs from RAM. There's at least five great songs off of TPaB I can list from the top of my head.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I'm black

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

HorseRenoir posted:

R.A.P. Music is still better than both RTJ albums

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

thathonkey posted:

Id rather hang out with drake than kendrick

To ask him what it's like to get bitchslapped by Diddy?

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Good to know that I have something to look forward to before GTA V unlocks on the PC. I'm feeling the production on that "loving Young" track too.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 9, 2015

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I've been sleeping on Future for too long. Beast mode and 56 nights are loving good

Yes.

That Audio Push tape is the loving poo poo, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Pi1IpYedc

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

thathonkey posted:

Odd future has and will always suck. Honestly cant believe so many people bought into their hype and genuinely seemed to likeany of their "artists" with the huge exception of frank ocean who is literally the only talented member of the whole group (by the longest shot possible). He makes the tolerating of all the other OF garbage members ive had to endure over the years completely worth it at least.

Odd Future is pretty important, actually. Before Tyler, I don't think mainstream America knew that black rappers could be anything but pious hypocrites. I've also noticed a slew of young black skaters, and an overall more creative/individualistic approach to hip hop since Odd Future came into existence. That isn't to say that this all didn't exist before OF, simply that this was brought to the forefront, thanks in no small part to them.

To say that Frank Ocean is the only talented member is ridiculous. There's Syd tha Kid/The Internet, The Jet Age of Tomorrow, Domo Genesis, and Mike G (I guess, he hasn't released anything in forever).

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 29, 2015

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Name another black atheist rapper that isn't Greydon Square or maybe Hodgy Beats?

thathonkey posted:

I think you are greatly overstating their importance and influence. I honestly don't think they changed anything about hiphop (for better or worse) but maybe im just bitter, cynical, and old.

I'm not saying that they're super influential or anything like that. I'm simply saying that they're portraying a different aspect of black culture that rarely gets any spotlight. Whether or not that was intentional on their part is irrelevant, because we're having this discussion now. Maybe I went a bit overboard with the creativity part or whatever.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 29, 2015

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

thathonkey posted:

Mark my words in 10 maybe even 5 years nobody is going to remember who Odd Future even is. They may be remembered for their gimmick comedy efforts and having some Adult Swim affiliations but their music is largely terrible. Theyre a joke and theyll be remembered as such. Their 15 mins are long since over, cept for frankie oceana, whose album i cant wait for

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

The fact that you could possibly care or notice odd future dudes are or not atheists says a lot about you, them and their fans.

40 lbs to freedom posted:

dude me either i cant loving STAND all these black pious hypocrites in my rap music *doesnt eat vegetables at family dinner, does kick flip, yells at mom*

What in the actual gently caress are these? Arguments?

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

acksplode posted:

What logical fallacies would you say they are employing

Knowing what piety and hypocrisy are would help, for starters. "gently caress bitches, get money, sell drugs, and then go to church on Sunday and apologize for all of that."

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

acksplode posted:

How excited would you be if Richard Dawkins dropped a mixtape

Let's be honest: It'd be loving amazing.

I sense that this thread is going into something bigger than we'd all care to get into, (it's all my fault, really), so I'm bowing out before more stupid piles atop.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 30, 2015

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Wezlar posted:

I'm going to be honest I don't care either way here about atheist rap but either you're the one who doesn't know what hypocrisy is or you do know what it means and you think that understanding the consequences of your actions makes you a hypocrite

And the later is so stupid that I have to think it's the former.
Wait, what? I'm confused. So if I truly believe something is wrong (as ordained by a deity or whatever), and I do it (and continue to do it) anyway, as long as I feel bad about it enough I'm not a hypocrite?

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

the_american_dream posted:

Should I limit all of my entertainment to those who I deem arent hypocrites

Do exactly as I say, and everything will be fine. I am being seriousnot.

You know what's better than this stupid loving argument?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw6ImnuqJIA

This song.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

40 lbs to freedom posted:

dont take this the wrong way but are you literally a child or is it just your general understanding of the world around you and the ideas and people that inhabit it that makes it seem like that

Oh, I get it-- you think I judge musicians based on what they say/do in their music. No, I just do it based on what they truly believe, music nonwithstanding.