Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
furthermore please refrain from implying that winning a grammy is indicative of anything meaningful in rap, tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
yeah, reddit, paragons of social justice where Young Thug did an IAMA about being a rapper and one of the most popular questions was "how old are you and what crimes have you committed"

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
you just genuinely used the term hipster drivel

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

pliable posted:

"If it doesn't sound like radiohead, then it's poo poo" - Pitchfork

holy hell you're dumber than I previously thought

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

temple posted:

Love Below was a mess of an album.

Hardly. No, it wasn't the Outkast rap album to answer all fans' needs but it was an interesting, if self-indulgent, glimpse into the world of music that André would make if unfettered from the Dungeon Family expectations. The main difference for me between Love Below and TPAB is that Love Below seemed to have a certain level of tongue-in-cheek-ness to it; I didn't get the feeling that André thought he was penning an opus to the institution of love. There was too much humor for something like that. Calling it a mess of an album may be applicable depending on how you chose to receive the content, production, and artistic choices but if you truly believe that I think you're looking at it from the wrong angle.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

alansmithee posted:

I'm not quite sure Andre 3k had that level of self-awareness.

Either way I'm fine with it. If he was being 100% genuine with those skits and songs I can enjoy them with the same state of mind that allows me to be a gigantic Morrissey fan- appreciate the emotion that allowed them to make such over-the-top music and consider the hyperbolic nature as exaggeration for the sake of emphasis. See also; Prince.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
since he's been brought up a couple times in the last few pages I just wanted to remind everyone that rapper Childish Gambino created his stage name via a Wu-Tang Clan name generator.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It's because it's 80 minutes and the majority of that runtime isn't very interesting. Plus it has some stupid rear end rhymes (along with some good ones) and laughably bad tracks like that "dick ain't free" track and the one with the Tupac interview.

god drat I know you have a bad rep for being hilariously out of touch with how normal people process and evaluate things but honestly expecting that music critics should fall in line with your (typically terrible) opinions takes your cluelessness to another level

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
radiohead and daft punk comparisons

really glad to see NMD is breaking out of their normal frames of reference on this one

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

RAM had way more songs that held up upon repeat listens than TPAB does, though :colbert:

it's been out for 3 days you clod

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Harley C posted:

New death grips has leaked, now please go cop it and argue badly for 5 pages.

and if you live in the same town as RM please stay off the roads for the next 5 days

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
nice fakepost, this young man knows everything there is to know about lamb burgers

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

thathonkey posted:

Im not going to poo poo on it just because of my subjective problems with the music. I like kdot he's cool and good in my book.

this thread is amazing

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

HorseRenoir posted:

Bronson leaked and it's really good so far

I heard there's an interlude therefor I deem it unlistenable trash. 9.1/10

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
I know a lot of people have criticized Kendrick for coming off as too try-hard-y with the funk angle but I'll be damned if Bronson hasn't done a surprisingly good job of adopting (OR APPROPRIATING?!?!?!?!?!?!) the blues/rock sound for a lot of the tracks off Mr. Wonderful. Turns out Easy Rider wasn't just a one-off throwback production and I'm glad.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

thathonkey posted:

The 2000s (aughts) were a poo poo period for music and pretty much everything in general it's not even worth thinking anout

Yo, we already have established that you have bad opinions, you don't need to keep trying to convince us.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

keevo posted:

This is all I know.

i refuse to believe this is anything beyond a tumblr joke

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Polo-Rican posted:

Bronson did Baby Blue on Letterman last night... sounds way better than the album version (especially the last note)

didn't bodyslam paul shaffer off the stage, 2/5, subpar bronson performance imo

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

alansmithee posted:

As an aside, because I know it was one of the burning questions you had but Young Thug on his recent single explicitly says he's not gay so you can rest easy that he's no longer straddling the lines and has planted his sexual flag firmly in "no homo" territory.

that's too bad

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

RBX posted:

I can't even ironically respect an open homothug

that's too bad

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
wow, marginalized and unfairly persecuted minorities in MY rap music? not if I have anything to say about it!

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
perhaps you only hear people taking him seriously "on the internet" because you have surrounded yourself with equally bigoted pieces of poo poo who should never be taken seriously in any regard. just a thought.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
mods pls rename thread "Yo! NMD Raps- Mumbling trash saying a bunch of nothing trying hard to be cool"

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Eh what are those views on ? The Internet. Check mate nerds.

oh gently caress

tbh this is pretty special because i don't know that I've ever seen someone be accused of being a bigot only to respond by doubling down on their bigotry.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

homosexuals can't reproduce. young thug is the beginning of the end for humanity. it was a nice run but this queer rapper is going to bring down the whole house

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
guys

absolutely nothing that young thug does should ever be confused with down-low culture

the entire point of down-low is being closeted to the point where nobody knows that you're gay or bi. how the hell is this such a difficult concept for you to grasp.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
gee, don't want to let the world know that I'm secretly gay

**tweets about smoking penises**

whoops!!

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
someone pls get young thug to dress up as david bowie next halloween

or actually next week works for me too. and every week after that

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
hahahaha jk jk, thug has way better style than bowie ever did so nvrmind

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

temple posted:

edit:
I think all people want from thugga is for him to say "I'm different. I'm doing weird poo poo".

no, actually what I really want is for him to say "I'm gay"

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Robert Analog posted:

This isn't really what anyone is talking about but I would be uncomfortable listening to a gay rapper explicitly rap about sex.

so don't listen to them. that's fine. what wouldn't be fine would be getting on a soapbox and telling everyone about how that rapper is detrimental to society/hip-hop because of their lifestyle.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

thathonkey posted:

Not the same thing obviously but the "black rap community" did do a total 180 on eating pussy over like a 10 yr or less period so i imagine the same thing will probably happen with other "rap taboos" such as homosexuality for example :shrug:

hahahahahaha you gotta be kidding me

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
remember back in the 80s when people were beat within inches of their lives (or in some cases to death) for eating pussy. wow that was some really crazy times.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

temple posted:

If thugga wants to be the mouth kissing, blouse wearing type of rapper, no one really cares.

actually you're dead wrong and there are many very large communities that would be incredibly benefitted by a prominent black musician coming out of the closet but I think you have a tough time recognizing or acknowledging that because A. you don't belong to them and B. can't speak as an authority to it on the internet

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

temple posted:

I doubt there is an audience for go-go influenced hiphop at all. Even Def Jam tried back in the day.

I feel like go-go influences/drums will perpetually be a sound that you'll hear pop up once every few years for a big single, will have a bunch of heads on the internet download the entire Rare Essence catalogue, then fade back into regional obscurity again. And that's a drat shame because it's some of the most fun & energetic music music of the last few decades, doubly so when you consider the live performance aspects.

Despite not being a "true" go-go sample if there were more music like this being made/popularized on a national scale I'd be a much happier person;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfjF4eCxIvg

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

rear end Catchcum posted:

Is weird al respected as a rapper at all?

lmao

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

I AM BRAWW posted:

Young Thugg is actually a Homosexual

cool

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.