Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-sEj3d_HVE

NY punchline rappers will always be NY punchline rappers, but they're still fun to listen to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
Some more Killer Mike hype

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz9uQ6ehujg

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

thathonkey posted:

i dont know but hustling and selling drugs wouldnt take up all of your time so you could develop your rap abilities on the side and eventually, if you have the right combination of talent and luck, build your name up by getting local gigs etc and then get noticed by somebody with enough industry connections to get you a deal
Or skip the industry entirely and build your own independent label with drug money like Jay, Dame, and Biggs.

Honestly in the age of social media it's as simple as uploading something to the internet. Chief Keef wasn't actively pursuing a deal, he was just a kid on house arrest making music videos for fun with his goons.

A lot of these guys just rap for fun and it takes someone to intervene to get them to focus solely on making money with rap. I know T.I. personally oversaw keeping Doe B away from the hood and 50 Cent did the same with Kidd Kidd to the point he went into his own pocket to move him out of New Orleans.

I wish I could find it, but Young Chris had a really interesting interview about the transition. Being signed to a major label, being considered "put on" as a rapper, but not having any rap money to show for because of delays with label bullshit and waiting on your advance to clear. So he's stuck still hustling in Philly, but the next week he might be in the studio with Beans and Jay.

vanbags fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 18, 2015

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
I have two odd requests.

1) What is the Bones song that samples Celly Cel's "It's Goin' Down"

2) Someone linked a low budget video by some unknown dirty south dudes awhile back with some guy singing off key about "the south" on the hook. It was in the same vein as "Cold in the D", but better.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
I just can't stop listening to this.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I'm not a big Fab fan, but some of these are pretty drat fierce.
When you say you're not a big Fab fan I'm assuming you've already explored mixtape Fab? The There Is No Competition and Soul Tape series are something special, as well as his old DJ Clue stuff.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
Meek should just be thankful he got a song from Drake rather than Joe Budden.

I thought it was a perfect response from Drake though. Straight from the school of Hov. Also Nicki isn't letting Meek respond so give up any hope for a continuation of this.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
It doesn't really matter how embarrassing or awkward Drake is. The fact is he has major influence and weight in not only rap culture, but the industry. He's received countless co-signs from the established rappers/"legends" that matter and he's the go to guy for a feature if you want to advance your career.

By pointing all of that out in the track, Meek's inevitable outcome is a loss. He didn't spaz out with bars, but he doesn't have to. Drake will be Drake and Meek should honestly reconsider his ploy for stardom.

I mean this is the guy who was slapped in the face by Diddy and shortly after released the highest selling digital album of the year in the form of a mixtape that sounded like throwaways left on the studio floor. His image is incapable of being damaged.

vanbags fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 27, 2015

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

gohmak posted:

Damage is done. Drake has writers that pen entire verses for his hit songs. That may not matter to you but it does to many.

gohmak posted:

So does Diddy, and Dr. Dre but nobody considers them lyricists. He can be a hit maker all he wants but the conversation of top new school rappers will be between J. Cole and Kendrick Lamar. Drake is disqualified and relegated to just another pop music act.
I can assure you Drake's next album will continue to be the highest selling rap album of the year and he will continue to be the dominant "new" rapper that every other up and coming artist will be compared to or expected to feature with.

He's not making anyone's "top 5 lyricists" list, sure, but he wasn't on that list even before he had an alleged ghostwriter. That's why no one cares.

I mean a reference track to "10 Bands", are you serious? Have you actually listened to the lyrics of "10 Bands"?

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
If we're really assuming Drake can't write then all I want to know is who wrote his verses on "Stay Schemin", "Lord Knows", "5am in Toronto", and "6pm in New York" because I want to hear that guy's mixtape.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Besson posted:

Beefs are boring just listen to records and admire the art and stop playing TMZ with rappers.
Rap beefs have been ingrained in the culture since its inception.

I'd rather continue having moments like this in this beautiful culture I love.

vanbags fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 30, 2015

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

temple posted:

I'm still trying to figure out Meek's angle. Why diss Drake? Why attack him for having ghost writers? A lot of rappers have ghost writers and probably have reference tracks of their verses floating around. I've never seen someone set up a trap and jump in it themselves.
Meek is insecure and Drake may or may not have had sex with Nicki Minaj.

That's literally all it boils down to.

All this poo poo about ghostwriters and not tweeting about album releases is irrelevant. Meek is that dude who keeps tabs on how many male friends his girlfriend adds on facebook.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
That was the harshest donkey of the day I've heard in awhile. Meek didn't deserve that. Okay, maybe he did, but let that man live. He's suffered enough.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
MediaTakeOut is about as reliable as a Funk Master Flex exclusive.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
Best part of this whole thing is I started listening to Ar-Ab again minus the Rolls Royce Wraith

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

RBX posted:

Dipset came out with a mixtape called American dream the other day. It has 30 tracks
Yeah, just don't expect many actual Dipset tracks on it. It's more like a Dipset associates mixtape.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
Dark Lo sounds exactly like Ransom

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

alansmithee posted:

Reminder that Puffy smacked him around and he didn't do anything (and, outside of my theory that Puffy had Big killed, Puffy's always been more on the "soft" end of the rap scale). If he lets a dude lay hands on him without even defend himself, you think he's gonna retaliate when someone pees on him a bit?
Since when has Puffy been "soft"? I mean aside from getting extorted by Haitian Jack, but name anyone in rap especially from the 90s who wasn't getting extorted at some point in their career.

And honestly people have wildly unrealistic expectations when it comes to celebrities and physical confrontations. Both of these guys are surrounded by paid security at all times who legally carry guns. You let something petty like that get out of hand and you're risking lives. Remember Busta Rhymes and Israel Ramirez? Is that the criteria for proving you're not a pushover?

But anyway, were Drake and Puffy supposed to lock themselves in a room for 30 seconds and shoot a fair one? Was that your honest expectation?

vanbags fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 4, 2015

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

alansmithee posted:

All those security with guns didn't stop Puff from solo slapboxing Drake.

And I'm not talking about what's sensible, or logical. You're 100% right. But dudes who are supposed to be "hard" aren't necessarily the most logical when it comes to stuff like that. And if you gonna let someone slap you around 1 on 1 with no problems, you're probably not gonna start throwing if someone pees on your shoes a bit.

And w/r/t Puffy being "soft"-the stuff I always heard was that dude runs his mouth when he got bodyguards and poo poo, but whenever he's around "real" dudes he shuts up quick. But this is all rumor and internet stuff so it's obviously not the most accurate.
I don't really want to spend too many words derailing this thread by speculating on who's "real" because that is cornball poo poo, but there's a lot of interesting stuff I would strongly recommend you look into regarding Puffy. He might not be your idea of "hard" in the sense of Gucci Mane squaring up with random dudes in the middle of a mall, but he's well connected and his father Melvin Combs was in business with Frank Lucas and PeeWee Kirkland, who Pusha T famously reminded us was a "legend in two games." His childhood friend and later "bodyguard" Wolf was gunned down for trying to kill Big Meech of all people. And I'm sure you're already familiar with his association with C Gutta and D Roc. The Southside Crips used to run security for him and Biggie when they went out west.

He's well connected and very wealthy, which makes him "hard" enough that I wouldn't gently caress with him over a petty slap to the face, but that's just me.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Yeah I don't really care what he says it is, it's not his album. It's a soundtrack compilation album with Dre's name on it. Which I guess gets him off the hook for being compared to the Chronic's because it's really nothing *special*
Every Dre album is a compilation album. This album is no different than The Chronic or 2001.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I'm still surprised how much better Compton is than anything we heard from detox. Released or leaked.
Why surprised? I think if Detox had been up to par we would've had it a few years ago.

I'd still love to hear some of the stuff he scrapped, but it'll probably never see the light of day until he's dead and someone wants some of that posthumous paper, not that any of his heirs will ever need it.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
Why is it 2015 and the concept of an "industry plant" is still tossed around? That's some 90s poo poo.

but I think Meek's problems keep piling up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYiK1vSrEAE

vanbags fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 8, 2015

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Tremendous Taste posted:

lol that guy sucks
Was still harder than Meek's song

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxqgN9SwfxI

Not the greatest P verse, but I love him over that beat.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

chime_on posted:

I know this was from ages ago, but how many songs on The Chronic are just Dre? I think maybe one? I remember my brother being pissed off about all the features on it when he first bought it in 92.
Just one. Honestly The Chronic could have easily been released as a Dogg Pound Gangstas album.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
Need Mos Def on that SMACK stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Odg03v4DhE

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

rip

bodied by a singin nigga drat.....
I feel like that plea was more aimed at Ar-Ab and the goons from Philly than Drake.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Robert Analog posted:

No I'm pretty sure Champagne Papi was about to catch a body
Well he did warn us on his "Stay Schemin" verse

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

ruddiger posted:

Fuckboy is really old slang. I remember hearing the term in the 80s in relation to dudes who get raped and turned into punks in prison. I'm sure there may be other originations of the word, but I guarantee its older than you think.

Just because it's overtly popular now doesn't mean it's a recent invention. It reminds me of the time some clown was interviewing Snoop and commending him on inventing a new form of language with the izzle speak. That shits been around. Do your homework.
I'm pretty sure it originated from Jamaican dancehall like everything else in hip-hop.

The author credits Cam'ron for introducing it to the public, but I've always associated it more with southern rappers. Has the author of that article ever listened to Master P or Pimp C?

vanbags fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 22, 2015

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
can someone identify this synth? sounds way too familiar, but either way it's too hot to be wasted on Tinashe and Young Thug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5wY1bQn2A0

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

GET MONEY posted:

wow that's going to annoy me. i feel like it's from like early 2000s thug love poo poo but i can't pinpoint it
it's been driving me crazy

unfortunately it's a lovely song so not enough people care about it for google to turn up anything

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
Sometimes I feel like I shouldn't still be hearing gang banging records in 2015

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
Jadakiss and Joe Budden both releasing albums on Friday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3KKr2BvkGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWTVhXY-vs

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

RBX posted:

He played snippets of every song on his podcast and talked about making each one.
He played the entirety of "Love, I'm Good" which easily sounded like one of the best songs he's ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVPTsrJZhbE

Pretty decent interview where he talks about his career and lack of self-marketing.

vanbags fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 14, 2015

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
I know everyone hates Joe Budden because he's a cornball when he's not rapping, but All Love Lost is really good.

"Love, I'm Good", "Immortal", and "Man Down" are stand out tracks if anyone feels like checking it out on Spotify. I'm happy to see Budden finally splurged on some decent production.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

RBX posted:

Joe's album is second only to Kendrick to me and even then it's a toss up between the two. Haven't had time to listen to Game's album or the Kiss tape yet.
I have it second as well, but only to Lupe. Tetsuo & Youth is still my favorite album of the year.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

The Trap posted:

For those of you who are old enough, what was the reaction when Dre dropped the Aftermath compilation? I have been releasing to it over the weekend and I think it's loving incredible. Dre and the Aftermath family are so adept at combining vicious lyrics, with dope beats to create hard hitting music. I can't wait till the next Aftermath project.
What does "releasing to it" mean in this context

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
Does anyone here listen to the Joe Budden podcast? He dedicated an entire podcast to analyzing Views and it devolved into an hour long conspiracy theory with him literally screaming about how Jay-Z and the industry are out to destroy Drake, who happens to be the only remaining hero who can save hip-hop from itself if only Drake could realize his true potential and calling.

It's truly worth the listen.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Dodecalypse posted:

this is a good radio song but oh my god i cannot listen to 10 minutes of it
The version I keep on my playlist is just the Meek Mill, Fabolous, and Jadakiss verses.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

HorseRenoir posted:

I can't even fathom being excited about a Jay Z feature in the year 2016
did you even listen to "Seen It All"? when Jay actually raps about dope he's as polished as ever

anyway, I thought Jay killed his verse. the google bit was the only corny part to me, but I thought the "drat Daniel" line was actually creative. yeah, it's a meme, but he turned it into a punchline that fit in with the theme of his verse. it was nowhere near the level of half the corny punchlines that Kanye or Drake tries to pass off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
https://twitter.com/TomiLahren/status/737814927893663744