Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
New Kendrick is called "To Pimp a Butterfly". Tracklisting:

quote:

01 Wesley’s Theory
02 For Free? (Interlude)
03 King Kunta
04 Institutionalized
05 These Walls
06 U
07 Alright
08 For Sale? (Interlude)
09 Momma
10 Hood Politics
11 How Much A Dollar Cost
12 Complexion
13 The Blacker The Berry
14 You Ain’t Gotta Lie (Momma Said)
15 I
16 Mortal Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really like it but it's definitely pretty self-indulgent, especially the end where he uses old radio interviews with Tupac to construct a fictional conversation with him. The reasons for the indulgence are expressed pretty clearly throughout, though; he's clearly struggled with how to direct his fame in a positive way and he wants to send a message to black kids and end the cycle of violence etc. Plus there's a ton of great verses, the new 'i' is a thousand times better and contrasts nicely with 'u' ('The Blacker the Berry' also works better in context), 'King Kunta' is fun as hell, and 'How Much a Dollar Cost' is a masterpiece. Might be a GKMC killer for me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
music is so layered, it sounds 3d

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
because the internet is pretty sick

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Previous Jesus posted:

I don't like the beginning or the hook but I really really like the second half of u. I still listen to Wesley's Theory, King Kunta, u, Hood Politics, and the Blacker the Berry a lot.

These and i are the only ones I really listen to now. I was pretty shocked at how quickly the rest faded for me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
who would win in a fight, big sean or childish gambino

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Insanely Sikh posted:

Before I forget, Flying Lotus, Doom and Shabazz Palaces are at O2 Brixton (London) on Friday 1 May. Think there are still tickets going

oh poo poo thanks, picked one up

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

go see FlyLo if you can, it was great.

he dropped Q, Kendrick, Snoop, Dre, Captain Murphy. Loads of good hip-hop stuff.

He also brought out Thundercat for a lot of tracks. I know a lot of people around here don't like him but I'm a fan so it was cool

My show is tonight, cool to hear Thundercat shows up too. I have no idea what to expect from pretty much anyone on the bill.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gently caress, was meant to have DOOM tonight but he's stuck in Central America or something. Replaced with Jay Electronica, so it's nowhere near a total bust, but man :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
this seems like the right place to talk about how terrible lil dicky is. someone linked me to his song with snoop and.....gently caress. he is the worst soft nerdy white rapper ever in that he actually seems to genuinely believe he is the FIRST soft nerdy rapper ever, and that he's going to change the game because he doesn't talk about "the typical rap stuff". this poo poo is loving embarrassing. gambino was getting laughed at for the same thing four years ao.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Love the new Weeknd, at least until the last 4 tracks where it sorta drops off. Shouldn't really be in this thread at all because it is almost full pop now. "In the Night" is incredible.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
RTJ3 is the only other rap album I was looking forward to this year. Hopefully Views will be good but I'm pretty down on Drake atm after Summer Sixteen/his awful verse on Work.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

the_american_dream posted:

Yea I dont like Thug at all outside of hooks but gently caress is he wasted. I honestly cant really pick out what part is him

he wishes his dick had gopro

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I guess you could be kidding but nah that's definitely Thugger

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I AM BRAWW posted:

99% sure that was Kanye West

ok so if i'm wrong and that section is kanye then i guess i don't know where thug is either. the line "we only makin the hiiiiiiighliiiiiights" could be him

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That Thug song with Freddie Gibbs and one of the A$AP guys is pretty great

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I AM BRAWW posted:

What other tracks are similar to Watch The Throne (more specifically Gotta Have It) where two rappers just play hot potato with their lines during their bars, not going verse for verse like usual features?

This happens every so often on RTJ2, but nowhere near enough. I hope 3 has a lot more of it actually because I really enjoy it too

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
angels and the r kelly track are gone from chance's soundcloud

what could it mean

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can't get into Vince Staples at all. I don't know why. Even on the Earl tracks when I can see that he's talented etc it's like ehhhhhhh. His voice might just annoy me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's good to hear because gently caress was he awful

He has a verse on a Fall Out Boy song where he actually goes "yeah I'm a dick girl - addicted to you"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wish Untitled 3 had the coda from the original version

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

temple posted:

Kendrick lamar did something so I can say gently caress TPAB again.

um mate i don't think you understand tpab is important and has lots of black sounds????????????

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
guys you just don't get it he says a woman's name but she's actually the devil, and this homeless man is god

and michael jackson is 100% innocent simply because he wrote billie jean

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
surprised weeknd has a new album out so fast. new song's okay but super loving generic for a daft punk production

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
House of Balloons is still Abel's best work by a country mile imo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
knew if i intermittently popped into this thread enough times i'd find some oh-so-trendy RTJ hate, shame i missed the brunt of it 3 pages back though

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hells yeah Atlanta is great so far. Second episode set a benchmark that will be hard to top tho.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I definitely don't get a sense of Earn being the smartest character. Like at all

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pertplus, a lot of those are just being the straight man in a comedy. If anything it's less arrogant cause he's giving all the funniest lines to other characters. But some of your examples are totally wrong - I felt the show made it seem like Van totally deserved to be taken out for a nice meal, and that him not being able to afford it was a criticism of him for being dirt-broke and not of her for daring to want to go on a date or whatever.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pertplus posted:

I actually like the show, I just think Earn is written to be the "smart guy". Which is a fine quality for a TV show character, but an annoying one for a musician. I didn't really expect it to be a controversial take, it seems pretty obvious to me he's supposed to be playing a clever guy finding his way out of an unfortunate situation but I don't like his music so maybe my perception is biased.

New TI is good

The constant use of "genius" made it seem like you were being harsher than you were I think. The character's definitely meant to be clever, just not a total genius or above everyone else.

Shame to hear about Cudi :( maybe spending half a year on Comedy Bang Bang drove him insane

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
really doe is the perfect illusion of rap tbh

as in like "why isn't this song better with all these amazing people working on it"

earl verse is best part

e: of the 3 tracks on apple music i'm only really feeling 'when it rains'

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 26, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
obviously it's max b, fresh from the joint

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Still never been able to get into Future :( the one song i like by him is low life and he's COMPLETELY overshadowed by weeknd

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Sep 26, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Listened to a fair amount of 56 Nights and just don't dig it yeah. The production is undeniably great but I mostly listen to rap for flow and skill with putting lines together etc and you can't exactly say that's his forte

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I went back to relisten to March Madness and yeah ok I can't really say anything against that one. Not for me but undeniably rad

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
AE has screeching of the year

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Read the post saying Danny has good form right as I was listening to

"Old nigga came in this bitch with a new gun
Clip lookin like a fuckin mile long"

from Pneumonia. talk about bad timing cause that's one of the jankiest lines of the year re delivery haha

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've never listened to XXX. Are there any tracks like Gremlins. I like Gremlins

Actually that same question but in general. Songs like Gremlins, go

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know this thread moves quick but I'm laughing at how AE was almost completely dropped from discussion so soon after so many people were saying it had like the best production of all time and poo poo

I know it'll make lists at the end of the year tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It took me a long time of hearing the name "Yung Lean" for me to realise he was actually some fuckin lily-white little boy from Scandinavia. How was he not beaten to death the second he stepped foot onto American soil.