Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
City of Eridania

It's a beautiful morning in Eridania. It's bustling even at this early hour - everybody's getting ready for a busy day, including you!

Maybe it's the weather, maybe it's whimsy, maybe it's just pure random chance, but one thing's clear: today's the day you start your journey.

West Gate, Eridania

Traffic has thinned out on this side of town, comparatively speaking. That doesn't mean it's not busy around here.

The western gate of the city is probably a good thirty feet wide, high and arched above the edgeward road. A pod of inns lies inward of the tents, stalls and shops that serve the stream of travelers. This early in the morning, pretty much everyone's headed outward, whatever their reasons may be. Later, after noon, the first folks from outside the city will be arriving.

Dozens of ryuujin statues, of all shapes and sizes and styles, line the road, proffering a walking stick to anyone who may need it. You typically never see more than a couple of the roadside markers at a time, so it's a fairly auspicious place to start out on the road.

Provided, of course, you take the road. The City Council for Adventuring and Travel has thoughtfully posted a map of the westward area, and it looks like there are all kinds of places and things to see outside of the city!

Well, "thoughtfully." The map doesn't have a scale, or a key, or any descriptions, and what kind of metropolitan entity doesn't know what's geographically next door? Seriously, who made this thing, and who'd they make it for?

Still, bureaucratic weirdness aside, you have an open road and clear skies ahead of you. You can't ask for better conditions to start your journey into the unsomewhat known!

Recruit thread is here.

Rather than immediately mush you all together out on the road, I figured I'd give you an excuse to mingle and join up on your own. Maybe you all know each other, maybe you all reach for the same walking stick at once.

In any case, please put up your sheets along with your first post. Let's get going!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Capella Azure

Holding up her map as she hums tunefully outside of the City Council building, Capella turns it sideways, and then back again. Maybe there's some sort of secret? Certainly, the map couldn't be so bad. It's a test! A test to see if they're worthy to go... wherever the map shows.

Or, she could just ask for directions.

This starts the process of her bugging every passing body for information on this lake, or the name of this road, or what's this smudge by the curve in the road. It isn't very fruitful, but that just gets her to redouble her efforts.

Her annoyingly effusive efforts!

pre:
Capella Azure

Class: Minstrel
Type: Magic

STR: 4	DEX: 6	INT: 8	SPI: 6

HP: 8	MP: 16

Mastered Weapon: Light Blade (Accuracy: 15, Damage: 7)

Favorite Item: The old book of spells she learned from.

Skills
Well-Traveled
Knowledge of Tradition 16
Music 12

Abilities
Will
Spellbook
Seasonal Sorcerer: Spring

Inventory (45g)
Traveler's Clothes, Beautiful
Light Blade, Used
Walking Shoes, Used
Windbreaker
Basic Kit

Spells
Pure Crystal Light
Cure Touch

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Lynn Nacia

Good byes always seemed too quick for Lynn. She never knew the words to say. Neither did Peter or Karan for that matter. Her younger brother and sister waved good bye, like she had plenty of times for her parents. As usual Peter was tried not to care, and Karan just smiled as she gave a big hug. Ms. Arianna promised to look in on them every so often, so she knew they would be in good hands. Now she just needed to take care of herself.

Choki warked happily behind Lynn as she made her way to the City Council for Adventuring and Travel. Making it through the market was especially difficult as the chocobo wanted to look at (and eat) everything he smelled. But with a tight grip on Choki's leash, both made there way through.

"I'm pretty sure these maps aren't supposed to be useful, Capella, that's why they're free." Lynn said with a small laugh as she came up to Capella trying to figure out how the map worked. "It takes cartographers ages to get an accurate map, and they aren't cheap. A doodle like these at least tells you landmarks."

She stops Choki near one of the Ryuujin statues as she picks up the walking stick. As she lifts it up, Choki tries to peck at it. She sets it back, deciding she doesn't need the extra support if it's a nuisance to Choki. "I can't tell who is more excited for the journey, you or Choki. Although I can't help wonder where the others are."

(going with "we already know each other" to avoid awkward introductions)

pre:
Name: Lynn Nacia
Class: Noble
Type: Attack
Mastered Weapon: Polearm +1, Bow
Favorite Item: Pillow, which I've used ever since I was too little to remember.

HP: 16
MP: 8

STR: 6
DEX: 8
INT: 6
SPI: 4

Attack
Toughness: Max HP +4
Power: +1 to Combat checks (Accuracy + Damage)
Focus: Gain 1 more Mastered Weapon: (Bow)

Noble
Etiquette: DEX+INT to leave a positive impression on someone of high rank/status

Trivia: INT+INT to know detailed information about the things you see or hear.

Weapon Grace: (Polearm) becomes an additional Mastered Weapon. 
If already a Mastered Weapon, gain +1 bonus to Accuracy checks.

Weapons and Armor:

Polearm: Accuracy: DEX+STR +2, Damage: STR +2

Gear: 6/9 Carried

Beautiful Traveler's Clothes (100) 3 Size
Polearm (350) 3 Size

Bad Attitude Curious  Pack Animal Chocobo (350): 5/15 Carried
Wooden Chest (10) 5 Size; Contains 3/15
-- Sleeping Bag (50) 1 Size
-- Cute Pillow <3 (20) 1 Size
-- Utensils (10) 1 Size

102 gold

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 23, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Ossry Kalders

Ossry pats down Lucky's coat, feeds and waters him, makes him comfortable and then begins to load him with all his supplies. He takes his time to do it right, making certain he knows where everything is and that it is all balanced so as to make it as easy on Lucky as possible. Then he hefts his own backpack and walks Lucky out. It is a bit of a travel before they make it to the West Gate, and the many Ryuujin statues. But they take their time.

Eventually they show up and Ossry spots Lynn and Capella, he gives them a nod and a "hello" then goes about picking a walking stick for himself, giving Lucky a reassuring pat as he does so. He turns back to the others and adds, "did you wait long?"

pre:
Name: Ossry Kalders
Class: Farmer
Type: Technical
Mastered Weapon: Axe
Favorite Item: Battered Watering Can he was given as a boy.

HP: 16
MP: 8

STR: 8
DEX: 6
INT: 6
SPI: 4

Technical
Accurate: +1 when using Concentration.
Quick: +1 Initiative
Pocket: +3 Carry Capacity

Farmer
Robust: +1 bonus to Condition Check, everyday.  +3 bonus to Carrying Capacity.
Animal Owner: You can keep 2 more animals for a total of 3.
Side-Job: Use a single skill from another class with a -1 penalty.  Crating (food) selected, -1 included already.
Crafting (Food): STR+DEX-1 to make Food, half cost and requires a number of
 days equal to size of item

Weapons and Armor:

Axe: Accuracy: STR+STR -1, Damage: STR 

Gear: 11/17 Carried

Threadbare Traveler's Clothes (40) 3 Size
Axe (0) 3 Size

Capacity: 05/17

Father's Axe (Axe) 0g [3]

Threadbare Clothes (Uncool Traveling Clothes) 40g [3]

His mother's Care Package (Basic Kit)  150g [5] includes
- Handstiched Backback (40) 5 size; Contains 5/10
-- Sleeping Bag (50) 1 Size
-- Utensils (10) 1 Size
-- a full waterskin (30) 1 size 
-- rations x2 (20) 2 size

Lucky and the load (Party Kit) 800g 
- Pack Animal (500) ; Carries 10/15
-- Barrel (10) 5 Size; Contains 0/10 (can hold 15 days of water)
-- Wooden Chest (10) 5 Size; Contains 12/15
--- Repair Kit (100) 1 Size
--- Torches x3 (150) 3 Size
--- Firestarter kit (20) 1 Size
--- Soap (5) 1 Size
--- Washing set (15) 3 Size
--- Tent (120) 3 Size

10 Gold left for odds and ends

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff
Ilaria

Ilaria waves to the rest as she walks up with her ox in tow, "Hi everybody!" Her eye is drawn to the Ryuujin Statue, and she heads over to pick up a walking stick, giving the statue a respectful bow. She knows the Ryuujin are supposed to watch over travelers, so might as well start off on the right foot.

Returning to more practical matters, she asks Capella, "Does the map at least estimate how many days it will take? We should make sure we have enough food. There's a stall around here with some really great smoked jerky." She glances at her ox and pats its head, "Don't worry, I'm sure it's not ox meat. Maybe." The ox just snorts.

pre:

Name: Ilaria
Class: Merchant
Type: Magic
Mastered Weapon: Bow
Favorite Item: Mysterious Necklace

HP: 4/8
MP: 16

STR: 4
DEX: 6
INT: 8
SPI: 6

Magic
Will: Max MP +4
Spellbook: 2 Incantation Spells per level
-Arrow Compass
-Shooting Star
Seasonal Sorcerer: Acquire Seasonal magic: Winter

Merchant
Negotiate: Negotiation Check (SPI + INT) gets +1
Animal Owner: Keep 2 more animals for a total of 3
Trader: Buy and sell items at better prices when trading in bulk

Inventory: (5/7)
120 gold

Equipped:
Traveler's Clothes
Walking stick

Large Backpack (holding 10/10) size 5:
-- Sleeping Bag size 1
-- Utensils size 1
-- Waterskin size 1 (holding 1/1 water)
-- Rations size 1 x2
-- Quill Pen size 1 
-- Leather Notebook size 1
-- Umbrella size 3

Pack Animal -- Ox (Holding 2/15)
-- 2 rations

Ergonomix fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 23, 2014

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Your travel time will depend on where you go and how you do it.

If you take the road straight to Verde Town, spoilers, I will throw a bunch of weird happenings in your way so it's not just a series of travel checks.

There are rumors of a whole tunnel civilization to the west of the road, and there's all kind of stuff in the forest. Who knows what's up to the northwest? Literally. Nobody has a good idea. Which is kind of weird, given this massive city not a few days away.

As far as food goes, you do have a farmer with you. He probably knows what's safe to eat and what isn't if you need to live off the land. There's also a village maaaaybe a day out along the road. Plus, you know, anyone else you run into along the way.

Plus rations are cheap if you don't mind a few worms every now and then!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Capella Azure

Pointing at the map, Capella says to Lynn. "Well, that's why I'm asking questions! May as well try as long as I'm waiting for..." She looks over to Ossry. "... there you are! Not long, not too long, anyway!" Taking up a walking stick, she rests it over her shoulders, bowing to the statue with a flourish.

She holds out that same map, though, tapping it. "So, where are we going?" She points to the map. "We could go north around the lake, I bet there's a shortcut! Or maybe we can find a way across the lake!", she offers as a starting bit, looking with a wide smile to the others.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Twenty-four hours to make a decision, otherwise we're going north of the lake.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Lynn Nacia

"Well, if they have a ferry on the lake, then it's worth checking in to." Lynn said with a smile. "At the very least it's close so we hopefully won't get too lost."

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff
Ilaria

Ilaria ducks back into the conversation after picking up some rations from a nearby vendor. "Oh yeah, let's go check out the lake. Maybe we could go fishing? Oh, or swimming!" She peers at the map, "And I think that's supposed to be a building next to it, maybe a small village? We could stop in there. Oh, and I went ahead and picked up some food. We should have enough for two days, and the road is well traveled enough I'm sure there will be places to pick up more along the way."

Bought 2 rations for 20 gold, so we have a total of 8 between the four of us.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Onward!

After some thinking and some squinting at the map, consensus is reached. You round up all your stuff and your beasts and make your way through the gate.

The land to Eridania's southwest is for the most part pleasant territory. It's a warm, sunny day, but there's enough breeze to keep it from utterly blasting you. The dusty road stretches out before you, meandering through some gentle, grass-covered hills that shimmer in the soft winds.

At the top of a hill, you can make out the faint discoloration of the lake on the horizon. You should make it there in about a day, provided nothing bad happens.

Onward, to adventure!

Alright, to the lake.

First order of business: Condition checks. That's rolling STR + SPI, plus any crazy-rear end bonuses you might already have for such a thing. The full condition rules are on page 44 of the preview PDF.

Next, your travel check. Topography is Grassland, and the weather is about as perfect as you could hope for, so your difficult is only six. Roll STR + DEX.

Provided you don't get lost. Capella keeps touching the map, so ARB, you need to make an INT + INT roll. One person can help you if they so desire.

Depending on how your travel goes, you may make it into town, and thus you may not want to use the camping rules if you feel like you can drop the cash on an inn stay. 'course, you might also be cheap.

Animals shouldn't need any special care; the ground around here is fertile enough to let them forage.

Feel free to tell us about your individual travel experiences.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Lynn Nacia

Condition: Str + Spi: 1d6+1d4 5
Travelling: Str + Dex: 1d6+1d8 11

Lynn holds back a light yawn as they exit the city. She's never been much of a morning person, but with Choki's saddlebags loaded up there at least isn't much she needs to carry. Still, once her legs are moving she falls into a rhythm pretty quickly. She took plenty of walks around the city before, this wasn't much different. And the wilderness so serene and quiet that Choki's warks with every step aren't as annoying as they normally are.

At the top of the hill, she notices Capella still struggling with the map a little bit. She pointed to the lake, and the barely visible path that went around it. "We're still going the right way. That's definitely the same lake as the one on the map."

Direction Assist: Int + Int: 1d6+1d6 6

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Ossry Kalders

Ossry is already loaded up, and between himself and Lucky pretty well loaded down. So he just taps the ground a few times with his walking stick, nods, and follows the others along the path the map apparently leads them. He hasn't looked at the map yet so he doesn't know if the others are actually leading the correct way.

He keeps an eye out on the land they are passing through, inspecting the plants that grow nearby, and occasionally stopping a moment to bend over and inspect the earth they are passing over. He tries to compare it to his home, and evaluate its suitability for farming. Not that he will be stopping so soon to actually open his own farm.

Condition: Str + Spi: 1d8+1d4+1 4 ridiculous, well at least I can't get a 2.
Travelling: Str + Dex: 1d8+1d6 7

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff
Ilaria

Condition: Str + Spi: 1d4+1d6 2
Oh dear. I'll take the [High: 4] status effect, decreasing my INT to 6 for now.
Travel: Str + Dex: 1d4+1d6 4
This is just a really bad day. Even with +1 from the walking stick it's only 5. My HP is halved to 4.

Having spent most of her life in the city, Ilaria finds herself distracted by the scenery of the open road. She suddenly notices that she's dropped behind her other companions and tries to make a short sprint to catch up. However, she misses the rock sticking up out of the road and catches her foot on it, sending her down to the ground roughly. She pushes herself up with the walking stick and does her best to brush herself off without looking like a fool. She starts walking again, leaning on the walking stick a bit more.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

ARB?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Capella Azure

Capella may want to learn how to pace herself; jogging ahead and then back to the ground and looking around; she's a little weary quickly into the journey, but seems at least to be denying that fact as best she can. Still, she's got a sharp eye for landmarks, stopping every so often to add something new to to map.

Consulting with Lynn, she points to it. "You're sure? The shape looks a little more like a potato from here..." She seems reassured, at least, and then rests her walking stick over her shoulders. "I hope we find some fruit on the way! I should have packed some. Next place, I'm getting fruit!

Capella's condition roll is 5!
Travel check is 7!
Map check is 11!

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 17, 2014

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

On the Road

You make good time on your journey, although it's in spite of the odds. Capella and Lynn get along alright, and Ossry struggles along like a good farmer always does, but poor Ilaria may as well have stayed in bed today. She's tripping and stumbling and panting most of the way down the road. Occasionally she has to latch onto someone's sleeve or the back of their shirt to stay pointed in the right direction.

Uh, she looks kind of loopy, actually. It's a good thing you've arrived at...

Town - Lockyer

...as the sun starts to drop from the sky. Lockyer is on the shores of the basin lake - it's basically a big shallow spot in the plateau that just accumulated water over a long, long time. Like, dragon timescales. Lockyer hasn't been here the whole time. It started as a waystation on the way to the Southern World Tree and just kind of started blobbing together.

Perhaps a hundred souls call this place home, including the old folks and the kids. It's kind of pastoral, sitting on the lakeshore on one side and the sea of grass on the other, even if it is a bit muddy. Most folks do business with the travelers on the road, although there's a good bunch of them that harvest the freshwater crustaceans in the lake and even a few that work to maintain the road itself.

Ilaria is still struggling, so you might want to consider actually sleeping indoors tonight. There's a hostel on the southern edge of town, and a substantially nicer inn closer to the center of things with stuff like actual beds, warm food, and even a place to stow your animals.

What do you do?

Where you pick to sleep will determine what happens next.

The hostel is 5g a night and counts as Squalor lodgings, plus there's a food cart selling suspicious-lookin' crayfish dishes (read: Disgusting food). The nicer inn is 20g for a room that'd take all of you, and serves hot meals at 3g a plate. And of course you can just make a camping check and burn some rations. You can fill up your water containers at the town well for free.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Capella Azure

Definitely worn and tired, but healthily so, Capella turns about to look at the others. "Hmmm..." Swinging over, she goes to put a arm around Ilaria. "You look like you could use an inn! Actually, let's all go to the inn!", she says excitedly, hovering near the crayfish and wrinkling her nose, turning it up at that notion of creepy crawly consumables.

Walking backwards, she puts her hands together as if in prayer. "C'monn. Inn!"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Ossry Kalders

Ossry also gives the crayfish a look. He is not impressed. He looks at the nearby hostel and feels he would be better off sleeping in the wild. But Ilaria needs rest in a room. He isn't happy at the cost of the nicer inn, but it will have to do. He nods and fallows Capella as she leads Ilaria toward the inn.

"Yeah we should get some proper rest while we can."

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff
Ilaria

Ilaria blinks and looks at Capella. "In? In where? In there? Oh, the inn!" She shakes her head. "Sorry, guys, I'm kind of out of it. I guess I underestimated the trip. But yeah, an inn sounds nice. I can put up the money for the room; I brought some extra with me." She sighs. "I was looking forward to camping, too, but we can do that tomorrow."

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Lynn Nacia

Lynn looked down at her coin purse nervously. Although her parents left behind plenty of money, she still had to be frugal and not haphazardly spend it around. But spending their first night on the road would be better in a bed rather than, well, on the road. Ilaria definitely needed it. Even if the whole town did reek of crayfish.

"Alright, you guys find the stables for the animals, I'll book us a room. We can split the cost later."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sorry, internet went out at home all weekend and damned if I was going to phonepost an update.

Day One, Evening

The Krustacy Inn is Lockyer's fancier temporary housing emporium. It's got stables and dry rooms and the smell isn't too bad in here. The Krustacys are an older family, having lived in Lockyer in its earlier days as more of a hitching post and wide spot in the road, and they've run accommodations for itinerant individuals like yourselves ever since.

So, while the building is on the older side, it's the warm, lived-in kind of old. The plaster walls in your room are etched with the names and dates of hundreds of travelers like yourselves, scratched in various states of sobriety over the years. You're not going to get much privacy, but the beds are clean and the room is warm.

Ambling back downstairs takes you into the common room. A large pot of the local crayfish, dashed with some kind of hot spices and mixed with some vegetation, boils in the fireplace. A portly gentleman, who you presume is Mr. Krustacy, is behind the counter, mostly ladling out another kind of crayfish stew to guests as they come up for their portion.

There are a good number of other travelers here tonight, although most folks from out of town avoid sitting next to the hearth. A bunch of them are currently looking at a board that occupies most of the southern wall, over which hangs the motto "SUGE CAPITEM." It's a bunch of jobs people have posted for the travelers. Hey, you're a traveler!

Some of the listings don't look too arduous.

There's a mail delivery headed...huh. West of here, past the end of the road, past the lake, and near the big fissure in the earth marked on your map. You didn't think anyone lived out there. Still, it'd be a day or two out of your way, and the listing promises BIG BIG PAYOFFS!!!, so that's something.

Another person, a cart merchant, wants someone to teach his son the art of swordplay, since he is under the impression that's a prerequisite for gentlemanliness. It'll take a while, but room and board are supposedly supplied as part of your compensation.

And of course, built into the job board itself is a notice from the Krustacys that they are always looking for more hands to grab, shuck and boil, whatever that entails. Pay is 15g a day.

Day Two, Morning

A new day drops on you like a friend's gambling marker: mostly full of promise. You now know exactly who in your group snores. Good news! You can no longer notice the smell of crayfish. This may be because it is now suffused into the very Platonic nature of your being, although leaving town would be a good way to test that.

What did you get up to last night, and where are you headed?

So, you can pick a job if you so desire, or you can get right back on the road. Regardless, tell us what you dorks did last night. Condition checks regardless.

E: more betterer latin

grassy gnoll fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 21, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Ossry Kalders

Ossry spends the evening savoring the crayfish dish, trying to ascertain what the various ingredients used were and things like that. At one point he heads down to see if he can watch the cooking of the dish, or at least learn a little about the Krustacys' cooking.

The next day he checks the board and then looks to the others when they arrive. "Well should we head out? Perhaps stopping to deliver the letter. Or should we stay for a few days and do some work? I could probably do some shucking, not sure if any of you can teach someone the sword."

Condition: Str + Spi: 1d8+1d4+1 8

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

24 hour deadline, guys.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Lynn Nacia
110 --> 102 Gold

Lynn shook her head. "My mother taught me to use the glaive I have now, since I wasn't very good with the sword. Personally I'd like to move on and away from the crayfish. If we want to deliver the letter while we're at it, that sounds fine."

She stood for a moment in thought looking at the job board, then turned to Ossry. "What's shucking?"

EDIT: Forgot this, Condition: Str + Spi: 1d6+1d4 3 Lynn did not sleep very well last night, too much crayfish.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 23, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Ossry Kalders

Ossry turns to Lynn and responds. "Well it could be referencing removing the husks of corn, or removing the meat of an oyster from its shell, but under the situation I am going to assume it is removing the meat of the crayfish from its hard exterior before it is cooked."

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff
Ilaria

Condition: Str + Spi: 1d4+1d6 5
Whew, out of the woods. Since my condition is higher than 4, my High effect goes away.
Also spending 8 gold for my share of the room and for the food. If somebody wants me to cover theirs, let me know.

Ilaria spends the evening devouring the spicy soup. Maybe a little too much, because her tongue is still complaining from the spice the next morning. She joins the others at the job board. "I'd like to deliver the letter. We can check out that fissure and maybe those 'BIG BIG PAYOFFS' will actually pay off. I'll pass on the shucking. If we were totally broke, the pay is okay... but I have a feeling we're all, uh, looking for something that isn't here, so we should move on."

She looks a little embarrassed as she adds, "Also, do you think I could take the map this time? Not that Capella didn't do a great job, I just felt kind of useless yesterday so it would be nice to do something. I've actually got a spell that would help, too."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Ergo, make that travel roll.

ARB doesn't meet the deadline, Capella's condition roll comes up (4; 1) 5.

That's a majority vote to deliver the letter. While I'm doing the bookkeeping, Mr. Krustacy is your contact point. He hands you a small (size 1) satchel full of mail for your task. Do you examine any of it?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Capella Azure

Looking at the map with wide eyes, and then to Ilaria, Capella reluctantly hands the map over. "Take good care of it.", she says softly, as if handing over a puppy or kitten. She doesn't look like she slept that well. Probably too excited to continue on to bright, crawfish-free destinations.

Looking to the satchel, though, she raises her hand. "Ooo, can I carry it?" Mind, she doesn't see any harm at looking on the outside of the packages. Maybe shaking a box a little and wondering!... maybe she shouldn't carry the mail, after all.

When can I devise songs? The description of the music ability isn't too clear on what the timing of it is like, or if I can just declare it anytime, or what?

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff
Ilaria

Travel: Str + Dex: 1d4+1d6 9
Casting Arrow Compass: INT + SPI: 1d8+1d6 7 (+1 to direction check)
Direction Check: INT + INT: 1d8+1d8+1 10

I realized after rolling I forgot to ask, what's the Topography + Weather look like for today?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Day Two - Westward!

Topo is flat and calm, as yesterday. I'll let you know if stuff gets weirder.

Ilaria is really good at navigating, as it turns out. She takes the group back up the road by the lake - suddenly the guys dragging boxes and nets out of the lake make sense.

The funny thing about finding a giant hole in the ground is that you can't see it coming, on account of that whole not-sticking-up-above-the-ground thing. Still, Ilaria's got you headed right to it, but most importantly, not in it.

The fissure is maybe a half-day's travel long as the crow flies, but it's jagged like broken glass. And deep! Very deep. Deeper than a hole in the ground should be. It's twilight now, so it's pretty much impossible to see the bottom, but drat that thing's deep. Warm air flows out of it, gentle and clean.

Funnily enough, there are tracks leading northeast and southwest from the fissure. Some cart wheels headed to northeast and some kind of big animal tracks headed southwest. None of it is headed in the direction of Eridania, which is a faint glow on the evening horizon.

What do you do?

Investigation and general nosiness if you want, otherwise make yourselves a camping check.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Capella Azure

Capella carries the packages anyway. Nothing is ruined; she's nosy but responsible. So there's that! Of course, her pace is a little sluggish. She'll blame the packages, despite having asked to carry them, but doesn't fuss more than that.

Rolling out her sleeping bag at the end of the day, she stops to take a look at the odd tracks for a little bit, but then sets to helping with the fire and food. She's actually a good coordinator as she hums, working to try and make sure everything's in order. She's traveled a lot, and it shows. "So, what are you all looking for out here?", she ventures over the campfire.

Going to snag the Camping Check because... I may have the best roll and I'm first to it! 7, oof! Well, somebody can assist if they like.

Also going to make a Knowledge of Tradition check to try and ID the animal tracks. That's 8!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Capella takes a look at the tracks. They're big, bipedal, four toes and a thumb-toe on the back. Could be a couple of things, but if you had to take a stab based on the terrain, it's a rock eater.

'course, rock eaters traditionally don't come above ground. So that's unusual.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Lynn Nacia

Travelling: Str + Dex: 1d6+1d8 9

(Sorry I haven't posted in a while, past few days have been really busy.)

Feeling exhausted and nauseated from the constant crayfish smell, Lynn mostly leans on Choki for the walk there and manages to make it to the fissure without the chocobo eating her hair. When the group calls a rest for the night, Lynn is quick to pull out her pillow to try and sleep, but eyes the fissure warily. "I remember my father saying something about this, I think he wanted to do research here? Oh what was it he wanted to do..."

Trivia: Int + Int: 1d6+1d6 7
(For reference, her father is a mage, should that flavor the result any)

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Lynn's father was attempting to discover the bottom of the giant fissure. The idea was that either A) proving the thing was truly bottomless would be valuable from an academic perspective, or B) something that deep and hard to get to must have something valuable at the bottom of it. Alas, their expedition never reached the bottom, and he moved on to other pursuits.

Anybody have anything else they want to do, or shall we kick over to the next day?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Gonna say unless I hear otherwise in the next 24 hour period, that's the end of the day.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Day 3

Morning arrives! A fresh new chance to... find whoever these letters belong to, mostly. Actually, that's a good question. Who the hell lives out here, anyway? The land beyond the fissure is pretty much untraveled, or at least by anyone who's shared with folks in your culture.

So, no travel check unless you feel the need to go large amounts of Elsewhere. You still have the weird mail on your hands. What do you do?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Capella Azure

"Well, the tracks look like they came from a rock eater. Don't know what it's doing out here, but glad none of us are rocks.", Capella muses near the edge of camp as the others get ready, and then holds up the package. "Let's do a delivery!", she calls out, holding up the package with both hands. She gives it a very light shake, still obviously trying to determine the content. "I want to see what's inside, c'mon, c'mon!"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Since nobody else said anything...

Capella

Capella acts before anyone can stop her and pops open the bundle. It's a bunch of letters.

It's a bunch of blank letters. They're all devoid of any addressee, and most of them are empty inside. The letter on the top of the bundle is the only one with any information in or on it.

The top letter was sealed with green wax, pressed with a kind of stick-figure dragon sigil on it. There is actually writing inside this letter, but it's in some kind of picky, scratchy language that is definitely not the common tongue of the land. It's signed with a hand-drawn version of the symbol pressed into the seal.

Well then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Capella Azure

Capella stares, eyes wide, as the package pops open. She didn't mean to do that, but all that shaking was bound to knock something loose sooner or later. "I... um... uh...", she manages lamely, though her eyes pour over them as she tries to re-seal the box. "... we could come up with a more exciting story as to how this came open.", she offers pleadingly to the group, her purple-eyes gleaming like saucers.

• Locked thread