Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Zombie Samurai posted:

Yeah, Alan Wake owns but it's not a very scary game. Tense at best. It's like the Silent Hill version of Dead Space.

I had a different complaint about the pacing...all those woods hikes in the first few chapters got old real fast. I thought it picked up from the trailer park and stayed solid for the rest of the game. The different environments were enough for me to keep me going.

EDIT: It was also one of my favorite games to screenshot.

The Verizon Wireless ad at the end was really jarring. It shouldn't unlock an achievement and have someone lol-ing before the climax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Flameingblack posted:

I don't understand why Capcom are going so far away from every formula that works for them. But then again, megaman games. If they re-released Resident Evil 2 with the exact same controls as 4 it would sell like hell.

Same reason that everyone clamored for FF7 and Square Enix didn't do it. It's more profitable to release a rehash of the same game on a different platform rather than building another one. If they do release RE2 "HD" they'll just clean up the assets from the dual shock release and call it good.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/05/29/silent-hills-reportedly-an-xbox-one-exclusive

Rumors stirring that it'll be exclusive to Xbone and win10...kinda stupid if true, you're biggest hype built on one console and sell it on another

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

Mindblast posted:

Kholat is out and the reviews are interesting. Destructoid reads positive throughout, only ending with a lower score than you'd expect mainly due to there being zero reason to replay it. It runs on UE4 and looks really nice. Could be a good experience.

Kholat is about exploring a snowy mountainous region to discover what caused the deaths of nine russians who died on a mountain slope due to unknown reasons. Basically evidence suggested they cut themselves out of their tent in a panic and just ran off, only to be found dead hundreds of meters further. Save a few, who were found with a cracked skull and a missing tongue, no injuries were found on them.

This actual real event is the base for the game's story. You, narrated by Sean Bean, walk about with a map and compass to piece about what happened. I'm tempted to pull the trigger on this.

Honestly, watch someone play through it and you get the same experience.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

The Vosgian Beast posted:

HarshlyCritical is kind of amazing. He's filled the niche of "playing the new big horror games everyone is already playing, but acting like a goddamn normal person instead of a shrieking banshee attempting to amuse twelve year olds".

I like him for that, he's really awkward though sometimes with his humor. Watching him play these games though gives a genuine response and I love it when he calls out bs.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

Ekster posted:

How does it compare to Heavy Rain? I love the concept of HR but absolutely hate its story. If it's like a competently written Heavy Rain I'd be happy.

If you liked Cabin in the Woods with horror tropes, then you are in for a treat.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

Macaluso posted:

Isn't "Cabin in the Woods with horror tropes" just Cabin in the Woods?

Sorry, horror tropes x1000 without the unique twist.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i watched a full LP of it. it wears all its dumb slasher horror tropes on its sleeves without apology (including sexing reduces survivability, and kids being incredibly idiotic with decisions), and it doesn't have that Cabin in the Woods conceit of having to shout out how clever it is, which is a relief.

the story can be tighter, but it feels like they kept things in check and therefore it didn't reach the ridiculousness of David Cage's stuff. like there are some twists obv but it doesn't feel like it's cheating, or lying to the audience like HR's murderer reveal

so yeah the game is shallower than it lets on, the production value is top notch (the motion capture is amazing) and it's entertaining enough

I just wish it had more game play other than the whole modern "Choose your Own Adventure" Press X instead of turning to page 28 to find out what happens!

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

probably my biggest complaint about soma is the end Simon has no arc and should know that he's not going onto the ARC (heh) because he even saw the original Simon and (if you had a heart) killed him. I got real tense during the download bit and I thought he realized he was just ensuring a copy of himself lived on. I think the ending would've been a bit better had it been he's happy they got through but then the power starts going out and realizes he's lost his friend. that's just me though.

Spoilers for SOMA:

I am with you, the ending really is depressing that the only thing to survive of us is going to be this AI program of someone's memories the human race is completely wiped out and we only exist in a floating thumb drive. I like horror a lot but it really just is too melancholy to me in these stories that our existence doesn't move on, I'd be happier if it was something like genetic material rather than a copy of a copy of a personality.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't think they'll be able to get the rights to make a Silent Hill game, but I could see Kojima, Del Toro, and Ito all trying to band together again to make their own independent horror game.

Maybe without having Norman Reedus in it too would be fantastic.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

How is dark wood or door ways? Both look kinda neat but want a goon opinion so I can gift one to my brother

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

I rarely post in this thread but I wanted to point out a new game coming out on 9/20

Grave Chase:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/611630/Grave_Chase/

Seems to be a Zombies Ate My Neighbors Clone with an admiration for classic monsters based on the preview.

Looks pretty interesting and I know I will pick it up on release.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

Would anyone recommend Evil Within 1? I've not really seen anyone say good or bad about it, so curious how it is.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

al-azad posted:

Having just finished Silent Hill 3 I've got the original trilogy down but I'm still confused over how these games work. General Silent Hill spoilers start here.

SH1 establishes a distinction between the real world and otherworld, that the nightmares of Alessa are causing the town to slip into the other dimension. SH2 establishes that everyone's vision of Silent Hill is unique to their own perception. So I guess I want to know how SH3 fits into it. It doesn't appear as if anyone is phased by Silent Hill other than the protagonists. They all feel something is off but even Vincent is surprised Heather sees the creatures as monsters. And given how weirdly violent Heather is I can't shake the feeling she's blasting away real people.

And I'm guessing that the otherworld shifting powers are focused on Alessa. No matter where she is she can twist her surroundings?

Heather is really killing just images shown to her by Silent Hill, unless it's the cultist enemies then yeah that's straight murder. The Cultists themselves see them more as heavenly beings or some variation thereof. Best way to sum it up is to use the line from Hellraiser by Pinhead: "Angels to some, demons to others."

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

The main thing that makes me think the Cultists don't see the horrors is Laura from SH2. She literally sees nothing going on in the town except maybe fog because she's pure. Her only interaction with anyone is the dickhead Eddie and James and she rightly thinks they're both idiots.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

Night10194 posted:

It's also Kaufmann's whole connection to things. He's their drug guy. He's a cultist, sure, but he doesn't believe in poo poo and was just trying to get rich/powerful and is pissed as all hell that he's stuck in a snowy hellscape full of monsters.

When I originally played it I didn't understand who the Hell the guy was but I missed the whole drug needed for the good ending. In fairness, I was nursing a horror boner for Lisa and thought Harry was an idiot for not going after that, but being a stupid kid, I also tried to learn how to play piano to get passed the piano puzzle in the school.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

Memnaelar posted:

I stopped Silent Hill right after 3 kind of let me down (it felt a little bit too much the retread of 1's territory and I just got bored of it at the time). But Evil Within has me nostalgic for my old horror roots and I've been mulling over some of the cheaper, later games in the series like Homecoming, Downpour, maybe Shattered Memories. I know none of them are "good" per se, but do any of them do anything interesting that might make them worth a pick-up down the line?

Downpour is decent, it tries the most to be like the original Silent Hills. Homecoming tries desperately to be Silent Hill 2+2 but with more combat!.... Shattered Memories would not be for you if you didn't like the retread of 1's territory, since it's really just SH1 again.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

A. Beaverhausen posted:

It's an altogether different sort of SH1 though, I really think Shattered Memories is worth a shot. Not to mention the characters were really well written.

It can be decent but when you figure out the queues for certain things the game becomes too obvious. The original poster seemed burned out on SH1 setting so it's why I didn't suggest he get it.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

Danaru posted:

Shattered Memories was also written by Sam Barlow who has his head shoved so far up his own rear end in a top hat that the game felt like a 16 year old waxing philosophic about complete nonsense that he thinks makes him sound smart, interspersed with monsters chasing you.

Like seriously I loved both SH4 and Homecoming so I'm not a purist or anything, but holy moley that game was more cringey than it was scary.

The IDEA of it is fantastic. A psychiatrist reads your responses and based on that the game changes, the implementation though, is something to be desired. Silent Hill has always been known for its unique monster designs but Shat Memz has one type of monster with tiny variations. If Team Silent got a hold of this and made it, it would've been fantastic. But sadly, gently caress Konami forever, since we'll only see Pyramid head from now on and as a guest character in other games. At this point, I'd really love to have known just what the gently caress Silent Hills would've been story-wise.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Don't fret, we might see him in pachinko machines!

And I died even more inside.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

Vakal posted:

Shattered Memories was originally supposed to be Silent Hill: Cold Heart and by looking a the original design pitch, was going to be much more ambitious than what we got with SM.

http://www.megabearsfan.net/post/2014/12/09/Silent-Hill-Cold-Heart-pitch.aspx

It certainly sounds better on paper than what we got.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

Team Silent is just sorta the umbrella term for whoever was working on SH 1-4 and wasn't really consistent between titles at all. I doubt that a new Team Silent in 2014 would have anyone that worked on SH 1-4.

Fully aware, there is no real way of knowing what made everything click the right way for those games, let alone get everyone in the same room with a decent budget to strike fire again. Much like the dream team of Enix and Square that created Chrono Trigger, right time, right place.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

I still don't get why Slenderman turned into a spooky chase monster, he was just a creepy figure you'd put out of focus and in the back of pictures and it worked.

Because people can't do Lovecraftian nightmare horror monsters as well as BOOGA BOOGA mans.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

So when Agony comes out at the end of the month, can someone just spoil the hell out of it for me? I just want to know what happens and really don't feel like spending money on what looks like a body horror walk thru hell simulator.

That said, Scorn looks good.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

Crabtree posted:

Wait, which one is which?

Scorn is the thing that looks like a little bit 2006 Prey mixed with Hellblade while Agony's the shameful 2018 equivilent of DOOM?

Agony is the one where hell is full of nudes, that all want a big rear end demon woman to sex on them.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'll do it.

God bless you. I get the feeling it's going to be the second layer of Hell from Dante's Inferno game spread out over several hours.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

MarkVega posted:

There's this kickass fixed camera horror game with quite genuine psx asthetics in the making called Paracusia.

I played it and had lots of fun with it. Really felt like a lost Ps1 game, and gets quite unnerving, even when you wield a weapon. Warning, there's tankcontrols. (No sweat for cool people).

Theres a demo available on Itch.io.

This actually looks pretty drat amazing. It has that late 90's grundgy vibe that horror games in general in that era seem to be teeming with.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I'd bet money that Agony is one of Those Games that thinks it's a lot more intelligent than it really is and it'll release and be completely mediocre and bland and vapid. Also, what with how much succubus tiddy we have seen so far, there better be a SHITLOAD of big swingin demon dick to even it out. I want equality in my depraved hellbeast naughty bits, dammit.

Game is entirely this. Good graphics, but stupid story.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

Some of the stuff they wanted to add would probably make the game have an AO rating which is a death sentence for your title because most shops and stores (Steam included) won't stock AO rated titles.

So basically they censored it themselves.

If anyone wanted to see the deleted poo poo they reuploaded it to Dropbox:

:nws:https://www.dropbox.com/s/v7oxs1g2ko09z3b/Agony%20-%20Deleted%20Scenes.mp4?dl=0:nws:

if you don't want to click but want to know what was removed:
- Killing children
- rear end giggle (it looks like jello)
- Succubus rape scene
- Pregnant demon scene or something?
- Scene where you bang a demon who then she stabs her abdomen and pulls a demon out of her vagina.

God almighty, loving Edge Lord x10 here.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

What even is the plot of Agony

Take the 2nd layer of Hell from EA's Dante's Inferno -- remove combat, make it a lovely-held together semi-puzzle corridor game. Also you have no memory and want to gently caress a wax woman, so you are most likely some dude from Montana that died being choked out by his real doll.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

rudecyrus posted:

From what I've seen and read, We Happy Few has a good game at its nucleus, but it's brought down by the half-assed survival gameplay, a lack of focus, and a lot of bugs.

I watched one guy on Twitch play and all he did was beat the gently caress out of everyone with a shovel and bypassed a lot of content. It didn't seem very engaging beyond that. Really funny though.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

Since the Dead by Daylight thread is dead. I thought it may interest some that there are leaks that have occurred that may interest everyone here, the new licensed survivor, spoilers for name and link to leak:

Ash Williams

https://gamerant.com/dead-by-daylight-ash-evil-dead-leak

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

I played the Medium today as well. My system isn't the most optimized, but I can play about the equivalent of what a Xbox One X would run for the most part if not better. Medium I can run at Ultra settings at 30 FPS and low running at 60-90 until the split screen gimmick. Game takes HUGE pulls from old school, fixed camera angles, tank controls, etc, setting it in '99 was a nice touch to add to it. I got frustrated in the first few hours dealing with some of the items not popping because I've been babied by the last decade of pointing everything out, but when I literally ran right by one thing and it didn't trigger cause the camera didn't shift, in a huge area, sucked. The shifting gimmick I feel could've been a lot better had it not been split screen, I know why it's there, but from all I've seen it makes the whole game for everyone dip in performance, and really, you only need to be paying attention to one side of it when the shift occurs so there's not really a point.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

SkeletonHero posted:

Kind of hard to, what with Tony Jay being dead and all.

The real crime is having Simon Templeman voicing background characters in WoW. He's literally a vampire NPC for an Inn. Blizz knew what they were doing, and it's still sad.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

Well, completed The Medium and my thoughts gonna do some spoilers:

The game is a love letter to Silent Hill, yes, you have Akira Yamaoka doing music, and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn comes back for vocals. Presentation is absolutely beautiful even though the gimmick of the game causes most systems to chug.

Combat:
There's really not any, if you come into this expecting to play a game like Silent Hill you'll be disappointed, there's one enemy and you have very little interaction, they generally catch you, you're dead

Puzzles:
I spoiler combat because details give away the game, but puzzles here are ultra simplistic, you find a part, you don't really back track all that much and most puzzles are confined to the room you find items in.

Story:
It's ok, I guess? There's not much here in the way of layers, it's presented in a straight forward format and if you don't know something, chances are, you'll find out before the end of the game.

The ending though?

So to keep the monster from escaping, even though it's shown it can be everywhere, and interact with the real world, it has to possess the main character, and for the ending to be left ambiguous of who is shot is just really dumb, unless
its opening up for DLC but it seems highly unlikely.

Overall: It's an ok game, there's nothing new here, it's got cool fixed camera angles, and it'd been fine in the era it harkens back to. It tries REALLY hard to be a new Silent Hill game without being Silent Hill, and IMO it falls flat. Do we really know what makes a Silent Hill game anymore? We are slightly blinded by nostalgia and reverence, when the last game to even come close by the very same team that made Silent Hill was nearly 20 years ago. I would HIGHLY say don't pay full price for this, I got this part of Game Pass and I was annoyed with a bunch of issues with the game and the ending that would've really sunk this hard had I paid full price.

If you want something with a few jump scares and looks really good, but not much more beneath the surface, give it a shot for the cheap, or part of Xbox Game Pass.

Edit: Sorry if I ramble a bit, not exactly a writer.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

The issue imo with The Medium's atmosphere is that any danger that you might be in is all smoke and mirrors. It becomes very clear early on that

A) You cannot fight without the very limited Light power up, which means that you will always have access to it when you need it, so resource management is nonexistent.

B) The majority of things that can kill you like the bugs are just abnormally stabby locked doors with the key being Light

C) The chase scene has the one part where the monster teleports and comes directly at you when you have no way to dodge without knowing in advance, so it sets the expectation that you'll just die and restart for monster sections

The key part of games that it is trying to crib is that they do the puzzles and the dangerous oppressive atmosphere simultaneously. But not only did Bloober team not do that, it made the fact that they weren't doing that a major part of the design of the game.

Exactly this. The game had a great set up but after the first encounter with the monster, you really lose any tension.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

lol what, most anyone that likes or talks about SH could tell you 1-2-3-4 for the easy points, Homecoming because of the most well known "It's bad"-s SH, Downpour because it's sometimes divisive but also gets a lot of griping or apologetics, fewer people might name Origins and Book of Memories but even those have their talk, ShatMemz often gets talked about for having neat ideas in a kind of hacky package and griping about "I looked at these things and the game decided I was a sex fiend" and similar. What in the world are you talking about.

I think the big takeaway from Silent Hill now, is that people want the Japanese prospective on horror. Since Homecoming it's been farmed out to Western developers and hasn't felt the same ever since to most people. It's funny to me, that the developers that try to ape the Silent Hill style, are all Western, I am racking my brain thinking of some Japanese developers that come up with a similar style and they are either non-existent or they just do ok and I am unfamiliar with them.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

I can call it just ok because of game pass, but I feel bad for those that paid full price for Medium.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

Tired Moritz posted:

Silent 2 remake legit looks kinda bad. They really just point at the camera and said "look James is suicidal and guilty". Okay, thanks I thought that was supposed to be a twist

Yes, that's his whole schtick is he's only in that town because his wife contacted him that she's in that town, he comes across as a good man that loves his wife so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

I'm not excited about Bloober after Medium, I am glad I played it on gamepass but still felt ripped off.

I won't lie this is the first game presentation in a while that I'm honestly optimistic, all of them looked good but Bloober is gonna do some bullshit I just know it, either way I'm buying like 4-5 games and probably a statue.

Maybe Silent Hill related but what happened to that weird multiplayer monster horror game that has regular people morphing into cronenberg monsters? Wasn't it being developed by other members of Team Silent/Siren devs?

Edit: Also, drat, you really don't need to release Silent Hill 2 remake and the movie in the same year that redoes that game.

Diabetic fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 20, 2022