Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The soundtrack playlist was struck down by copyright infringement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This week's episode was minty fresh!

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So, with episode 2 between the confirmation of zero fatalities last time thanks to the fire alarms off) and the placing of the cameras before setting off the bomb at the police station, these guys haven't killed anyone yet. A bit predictable, makes me think that if they kill anybody at all it won't be until they lure out whichever clandestine secret organization they want to get payback against to come looking for them.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
This episode felt kinda infodumpy compared to the first episode and Nine just casually strolling into a police station with a live bomb strains believability just a bit, but it's still really compelling and absolutely gorgeously directed. Watanabe is outdoing himself with this one.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

To me that was the most believable bit. If you look like you belong some where there's no reason for people to challenge you, especially in some low priority target like a local police station. They even had two of the cops talk about how they wanted some ramen, it's probably delivered there a lot.

More believable than people not knowing the riddle of sphinx or what thermite is anyway. Kind of irksome But I guess it was necessary set up.

Really liking this show so far.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Yeah, I'm willing to believe Nine got away with what he pulled simply due to the fact that no one ever really notices the noodle shop/delivery guy. Either way this show has been delivering in spades. Watanabe has definitely outdone himself.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
So I'm not the only one who thinks they were deliberately invoking some Ground Zero imagery there, right?

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

paragon1 posted:

So I'm not the only one who thinks they were deliberately invoking some Ground Zero imagery there, right?

They said on twitter or whatever that it wasn't deliberate, but I'm pretty sure that's a huge load.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

paragon1 posted:

dude it was hardly subtle

best part of the episode was dude drinking a 2 litre of coke at his desk

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
The soundtrack in this show is good

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Yeah, the soundtrack is what keeps this show together. I don't particularly care about the protagonists, and the characters on the law enforcement side are just bland, but just listening to the unnerving music in the background makes me want to see where this is going anyway.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The show is fine, and there was zero high-school crap in this episode but chickening away from having the protagonists kill people is pretty weak.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
The thing is, the show is already controversial. Showing mass corpses will only lead the show to be un-airable.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Monathin posted:

Yeah, I'm willing to believe Nine got away with what he pulled simply due to the fact that no one ever really notices the noodle shop/delivery guy. Either way this show has been delivering in spades. Watanabe has definitely outdone himself.

The first episode of the new Sherlock did a similar thing. The people you notice the least are the people you expect to see.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

SmokaDustbowl posted:

dude it was hardly subtle

best part of the episode was dude drinking a 2 litre of coke at his desk

Just making sure I haven't gone crazy. :v:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Of course the imagery evokes 9/11. The synopsis of this series evokes 9/11.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

The first episode of the new Sherlock did a similar thing. The people you notice the least are the people you expect to see.

This is usually true but is less convincing when it happens in a police station the day after a catastrophic terror attack. If ever there was a time for vigilance...

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Lestaki posted:

This is usually true but is less convincing when it happens in a police station the day after a catastrophic terror attack. If ever there was a time for vigilance...

But they had no reason to believe the station would be attacked.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Monathin posted:

It goes further. I hadn't even realised the numbers were 2-4-3.

The 9/11 imagery, the chunks of building standing upright, the plume of smoke and dust and debris falling and chasing those below, are absolutely deliberate.

doyle-san
Feb 25, 2001

"This changes nothing."
Australians can watch it on Madman's https://www.animelab.com (for free, holla)

Is this the Japanese V for Vendetta?

doyle-san fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 19, 2014

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

trucutru posted:

The show is fine, and there was zero high-school crap in this episode but chickening away from having the protagonists kill people is pretty weak.

I admit the idea of zero deaths to be forced to lower ratings but in a way I think it builds up tension because you can't be certain that the next attack will be the same.

paragon1 posted:

Yes...the opening scene is a direct reference to the events after 9/11. The newspapers ran many photos of the incident and I recall this similiar photo had quite a impact.

ViggyNash posted:

The soundtrack playlist was struck down by copyright infringement.

That's never stopped anyone before :v

IDK it was out already though usually they'll release it midway into the series.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

CCheshire posted:

I admit the idea of zero deaths to be forced to lower ratings but in a way I think it builds up tension because you can't be certain that the next attack will be the same.

Ratings play no role since this is the Noitamina timeslot at 12:50 am.
No kills most likely mean they intend to set up a bigger baddy.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Lurking Haro posted:

Hmm--I knew it was the Noitamina timeslot but I didn't know as a result ratings didn't count. The more you know~

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

CCheshire posted:

Hmm--I knew it was the Noitamina timeslot but I didn't know as a result ratings didn't count. The more you know~

Did you mean actually mean TV ratings or content ratings?
Even if it was TV ratings, the MCs killing people would rather increase complaints than lower TV ratings.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

CCheshire posted:

That's never stopped anyone before :v

IDK it was out already though usually they'll release it midway into the series.

Sure didn't stop me.

Lurking Haro posted:

Maybe not a bigger baddie, but it's too deliberate not to have an important role in the plot.

musouka
Apr 24, 2009

Lurking Haro posted:

Traditionally, ratings were important to that slot. In a post-AnoHana Noitamina, who really knows?

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008

doyle-san posted:

Australians can watch it on Madman's https://www.animelab.com (for free, holla)

Is this the Japanese V for Vendetta?

Akumetsu is closer to V for Vendetta, but whacky.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lurking Haro posted:

Yeah, these are probably heroic terrorists that are doing it for a "justifiable" reason, whatever that may be (please, let is not be Japanese nationalism).

The thing that amused me about this chapter is that the answer to the Sphinx riddle would be posted on that same youtube video approximately 0.4 seconds after it was uploaded. And yet everybody went to look for physical books, of all things, to do their research. This has to be one of those generational gaps things (how old is the writer?).

In any case, the show is gorgeous so I'll see it just for that.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I could totally believe that terrorists would get away with a bombing because the Japanese police don't know that Google is a thing.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Well they did more or less research it, and came up with an answer, and got an investigation and a search warrant out. They chose to portray it in that way, because it's more dramatic and if you're going to exposit you may as well have people converse about it than have it all scroll down a screen. And random youtuber "Fartlord McTavish" is not going to be a valuable member of the cast.

It's just that their research was wrong, because they saw it as 4-2-3. I also heard it as 4-2-3. The moral of the story is, let go of your preconceptions, and listen extremely carefully.

Regarding no deaths in the first bombing, there's no reason to think this will continue. 9/12 try to minimise, but don't really want to avoid casualties. People still got injured, and the fact no one died could simply mean they got lucky. The second bombing hit a police station, there was no one directly in the room, but the blast took out more than just that room, and plenty of debris fell on the bystanders below. If no one died or had a serious injury after this episode, then the show can be classed as silly.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Phobophilia posted:

Regarding no deaths in the first bombing, there's no reason to think this will continue. 9/12 try to minimise, but don't really want to avoid casualties. People still got injured, and the fact no one died could simply mean they got lucky. The second bombing hit a police station, there was no one directly in the room, but the blast took out more than just that room, and plenty of debris fell on the bystanders below. If no one died or had a serious injury after this episode, then the show can be classed as silly.

Nobody is going to die of have a serious injury from that. The idea is that the terrorboys knew that the police would misinterpret their riddle and send everybody to the wrong location, which would empty the police station and minimize the damage.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That makes no sense, just because you're sending most of your line officers and detectives to a location doesn't mean there won't be people at home base doing up paperwork or co-ordinating activities.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Phobophilia posted:

That makes no sense, just because you're sending most of your line officers and detectives to a location doesn't mean there won't be people at home base doing up paperwork or co-ordinating activities.

We will have to wait until next episode. My money is on another miraculous no-casualty attack.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Lurking Haro posted:

Did you mean actually mean TV ratings or content ratings?
Even if it was TV ratings, the MCs killing people would rather increase complaints than lower TV ratings.

Content ratings, I guess.

trucutru posted:

The thing that amused me about this chapter is that the answer to the Sphinx riddle would be posted on that same youtube video approximately 0.4 seconds after it was uploaded. And yet everybody went to look for physical books, of all things, to do their research. This has to be one of those generational gaps things (how old is the writer?).

Eh, well when was the last time YT comments were sincerely helpful opposed to insulting/irrelevant? At least they didn't pull out a phone book and a physical map of the town to find out the code...

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha
I'm actually pretty concerned that it's going to go into some post-Fukushima Japan anti-nuclear sentiments because of the whole incident with stealing the Plutonium and such. Who knows.

I'm pretty sure that the focus is going to be a lot more on the former detective as a main character than the kids. It's giving me some serious Paranoia Agent vibes, which isn't bad in the slightest.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Gotta say, Nine seemed to be a lot more into his role in the warning video this time around.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
UK note: Series is here, and is also available to download to own (for about £1.34 per episode if you buy 12 of the site currency at once, which will be good for six episodes). However, they're late getting episode two up. Free streaming is available for four weeks after the episode go live, afterwards it's going to cost money which you might as well buy the download.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Phobophilia posted:

And random youtuber "Fartlord McTavish" is not going to be a valuable member of the cast.

It'd be pretty great if he was though. bishie boy terror plots foiled by random youtuber.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

"Terror in Resonance"?? Did they misspell "Residence"? That would at least make more sense, though that makes it sound like a dark comedy.

Anyway looks good, I'll watch the first episode tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Ccs posted:

"Terror in Resonance"?? Did they misspell "Residence"? That would at least make more sense, though that makes it sound like a dark comedy.

Anyway looks good, I'll watch the first episode tonight.

maybe the terror is resonating from a singular point and each subsequent act of terror, while different from the others (in maybe act or simply people), comes from that center point

• Locked thread