Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
If characters in stories always made the best, most rational decisions, they would be dull, conflict-free stories. Irrationality is an inherent aspect of being human.

Yes there is a line between having something feel irrational in a naturalistic sense and lazy writing that comes across as incoherent, but I don't feel like this series has crossed that line yet. 12 himself points out that Lisa is an unplanned element and that he came up with this solution on the fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I think people are giving the FBI too much benefit if the doubt that they have public safety and integrity in mind with these activities. If anything I'm betting they are more concerned with shutting Sphinx up than anything else so they are entirely willing to put people's lives in danger. This is of course assuming that they are actually FBI at all and aren't the organization masquerading as it and pulling one over on the Japanese police.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I think in this case the ability of the director and story artists was able to overcome the somewhat meh scripting and characterization. The compositions, timing, backgrounds, and music style were all very intelligently used and worked towards a nice emotional catharsis at the end.

In terms of characters, Twelve and Shibazaki ended up being the closest thing to interesting (Nine's stoic silence was a detriment in that it didn't exactly feel much like "still waters run deep" than "I want to create the illusion of depth to a character I refuse to characterize"), and it's unfortunate that Lisa's humanity and helplessness were really just tools for the narrative redemption of the anti-heroes. Maybe if they had a few more episodes and less Five, they could have connected a few more dots in how she was able to influence the others through her own agency rather than just her being there and needing to be taken care of. Twelve literally spells it out for them in the end with his "nobody ever needed us before" speech.

Noitamina shows don't tend to have huge budgets, do they? Because I felt the visuals were pretty drat cinematic here. The animation wasn't as fluid as a film, but the richness and quality/detail of the main key drawings were top-notch.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Alder posted:

But 8/10 is my highest rating ever. I don't think I've ever given a 10/10 before because perfection is impossible :v:

Not even Paranoia Agent?

• Locked thread