Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Welcome to the thread for the new show:

TERROR IN RESONANCE

Who's involved?

Terror in Resonance is a new show directed by :siren:Shinichirō Watanabe:siren: (Not to be confused with Nabeshin who directed Excel Saga) who has been responsible for bringing to us the also currently airing Space Dandy which everyone should also be watching. Other works include Kids on the Slope, Samurai Champloo and some small show you might probably not have heard of called Cowboy Bebop.

Instead of doing the completely random disconnected thing that Space Dandy has going for it. Watanabe is doing a story driven original work, so it could be good, maybe could be bad. Watanabe has an extremely good track record though, so it'll at the very least be something interesting.

Yoko Kanno is once again involved with the soundtrack for the show. This is nothing but a good thing, and if you want to hear the soundtrack, just park yourself down and take a listen HERE

Forums user "Pootybutt" had this to say about the soundtrack (as I haven't been able to give it a proper listen yet) "Think a heavier Darker than Black with dudes who sound a looooot like Sigur Ros(neat I guess!) and Coldplay(blugh) in there somewhere. Not all of it's fantastic, but as a huge Kanno nerd, it's worth checking out and it brings to the world one of her best vocal tracks in ages"

Finally, just to go and show how Watanabe is able to grab some great talent in and give his shows the talent it needs. REDLINE's Takeshi Koike was the animator for the show's ED. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gULDTrD2JjI (This will probably get taken down at some point. Hopefully not!)

THE SHOW

So far, there's not much we know about the plot so far. The show stars two teenage boys named Nine (who also goes by Arata Kokonoe) and Twelve (who also goes by Tōji Hisami) who are actually a terrorist group that calls themselves Sphinx. The end of the first episode finds themselves joined by a student that goes to their high school called Lisa Mishima. Why are they terrorist? What's their ultimate goal? That's all unknown and we'll have to watch to find out.

(Nine, Lisa, and Twelve)

WHERE IS IT AIRING?

The show is currently airing on the Funimation website, where there is new episodes Thursdays at 12:50 pm Eastern. This is only available for US AND CANADIAN VIEWERS ONLY and you must have a membership to view current episodes. Funimation also does use Hulu as a host for those within the USA, so you should also be able to find the episodes there (membership restrictions may apply)

Series Page

For those of you across the pond, Madman should have it licensed (not sure where they hold streams) for Australia & New Zealand, while it should be streaming on Wakanim.tv for those in the UK. If any of you want to provide proper links for where to get them from. Post them and I'll update the OP.

(For anything I forgot, or you think I need to update. PM or post and I will do my best to update the OP!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Rexides posted:

:geno: "You will either help us do Japanese 9/11, or we will kill you."

[...]

:geno: "You chose to become an accomplish. That was your own choice"

Was that a translation error, or did I just lose any interest in the main characters?

Funimation's translation of when he first talks to Lisa is "You have two options. You can either die where you are, or you can join us."

You could read it as them saying "we're going to kill you" but I think the more intended reading is "You won't be able to escape, and thus will die." It still is very much by their hands as they're the ones that planted the bombs, but it's not intended to be a threat that they're going to kill her, just an inevitability because they're terrorists and not going to stop their plan because she is still hanging around. She has no idea what she's holding at the time is a bomb either.

So yeah, while it looks painfully dumb that she had two options and one was die, or join terrorists in the interest of self preservation; Nine is setting up what I think may be an essential point for people asking a question later on which might be "Why does she choose to stick with them?" and it's because she choose to do so instead of become a victim. I think it's why the whole her being bullied thing is even a thing, it's to show that she willing choose to now become a "bully" instead of letting herself be a victim. I could be wrong too, and really we just have to wait and see.

It doesn't seem like there's much of a choice because one of the options is very extreme and very few would likely take it, but yeah, it's still a choice.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ViggyNash posted:

I think it was the other way around; she's being bullied into it, but more importantly she's complacently letting herself be bullied. Remember, the jump from the bridge was presented as a direct parallel to the pool that the girl bullies were telling her to jump into. She didn't do it then, but she was willing to do it now. It's not like she wants to be there, but when you're presented with that kind of Catch 22 what the hell are you supposed to choose? It's not like her dying would have accomplished anything either for herself or others.

Uh, except that her choice is going to make her a terrorist and thus is going to be responsible for her victimizing others, thus making her a bully? Remember that twelve actually does jump into the pool during that scene, and the girls then leave them alone. Why? Because Twelve willingly made a choice and when the girls couldn't victimize Lisa with it anymore they lost power. If Lisa had the same kind of attitude where she jumped in on her own free will, there's a good chance that the bullies would lose interest because there's no power dynamic anymore.

Read what I wrote before, yes what the hell are you supposed to do? It is an extremely lovely choice. You either die, or you become complicit in something incredibly heinous and against your morals. The point remains that even if it is a catch 22 where no matter the choice there is no good outcome, a choice is still being made. By still continuing to paint Lisa as a victim, you are ignoring what Nine is pointing out, that in the end she chose self-preservation and not become a victim of the situation. Would her dying have accomplished something? Who knows? There's not enough information, and it will simply be speculation on what could have happened. It could have enraged people at their actions that they killed a high school girl, especially if nobody else dies during it (doubtful, but they did seem to try and evacuate the building beforehand; it would be extremely hard to believe considering the size of damage).

We're working with limited information though. So I think another episode or 2 is needed to make any solid judgements.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Paracelsus posted:

1) Survive, 2) exit the circumstances as soon as possible, 3) at trial argue that you were acting under duress. She could reasonably have believed that the building was evacuated by that point, so what she was agreeing to would be more likely to be a property crime (even if a huge one) than mass murder.

Yeah, and a teenage girl is totally going to rationally think those options through in a matter of moments. You can formulate all the "well here's what she maybe could have done" situations, but A) if people always acted rationally in shows there would be a lot of really boring shows. B) The show made it pretty clear what she THOUGHT her choices were in that moment: She'd die, or she joins them.

So now we have to wait and see if the show explains more. Which it hopefully will. I'm not going to continue this because I think to reliably argue either side of the point we need to rely on character information we just don't have and more episodes will help formulate a stronger argument (or may debunk me completely).

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

duvel posted:

Also better be a good reason that Five let the bomb go off if she could access them anyway to let them know she found them? [/spoiler]

I'm pretty sure that's because she wants any sympathy their cause might have gained them go out the window for killing people. Right now the show has made a point to tell us they have gone out of their way to kill people, and most likely it's because they want to bring something to light in a very extreme way for some reason (Unknown why they have chosen that path). By setting them up for their bomb to actually go off and kill/hurt people, she is screwing up their objective and probably making sure that any light that maybe would have been shed on why the bombings might be connected gets overlooked because they're now killing innocent people. I suspect the show will reveal it to us more in depth next episode.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
New episode is up and I think it was really great. I know some goons have been saying the ending would be predictable, but I think they've done a great job of misdirection by making the "team-up" scene happen earlier then expected and not likely to happen again. The U.S I also think, is not quite clear cut as "the bad guys" as people think the show was making them out to be as well.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Redcrimson posted:

I don't get people's beef with this show. That was pretty much resplendent. It ended more or less exactly how I figured it would, but I was honestly surprised with how well the show was able to tie everything back to its individual threads in the end.

I get it, but at the same time I think that the show got way more flak than it deserved. It has it's faults for sure, five was a pretty meh character who wasn't nearly as well developed as she should have been for an antagonist to Nine and Twelve, and the beginning could have been a bit tighter, but all in all the show definitely is stronger than its faults.

I think Watanabe's name just gives off too high of expectations to things and so shows with his name attached just get hit with a higher level of scrutiny. It's not a 10/10 show by any means, but it's definitely head and shoulders above the tons of cookie cutter crap that's out there, and still has tons of merit on its own.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Alder posted:

Uh, not going to discuss about the questionable science going on w/everyone looking up into the sky during the explosion as it's been covered already.

Almost forgot how once again USA shows up again to remind us who the real villain is :v:

Here's the funny thing though The USA aren't the "real" villains. The show certainly can lead you to believe that, but they aren't. Nine and Twelve were the "villains" the whole time who wanted a spotlight shone on them and they did terrible things to do it. Five was technically the real villain here, and the shooting at the end was to cover up poo poo she did, which the USA guy kept saying the whole time she went overboard. I think the show did a good job of passing blame onto every character and group, and didn't portray the US as some snidely whiplash thing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ViggyNash posted:

Nothing's perfect, therefore nothing deserves a perfect score. There's only that which is so near perfect it seems flawless, which is what I reserve my 9.5's for.

This is super dumb. 10/10 doesn't have to mean perfection, it just has to mean that despite any kind of flaw, it overcame them and show/book/album/whatever it is, is outstanding among the top its class.

I'll give My Anime List credit on one thing (and really only one), and that is that 10/10 isn't titled as "Perfect" and instead they've used "Masterpiece" instead (still perhaps a bit too high wording, but doesn't have a connotation that Perfect does)

• Locked thread