Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Imagining the potential audience this show has in girls who treat the Columbine shooters like teen idols just makes me giggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't think you're supposed to like the main characters.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i hope terrorist-senpai notices me

You can't seriously be planning to kill all those people, baka!!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This week's episode was minty fresh!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Of course the imagery evokes 9/11. The synopsis of this series evokes 9/11.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so that was about as satisfying as the show has been since the first episode. I'm not sure if it's going to end up being the classic it has the ingredients to be, but it's still good to see the bishi terrorists actually dealing with something out of their control.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Condiv posted:

Ugh the english in this episode is killing me

It's amazing and I want it in every anime.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I just watched all six episodes that are out today today. Show started off strong but got dumb pretty quick. Who the gently caress is letting this madwoman set bombs in an airport? Who the gently caress is actually doing it? This makes no Goddamn sense.

Don't get me wrong, I've no doubt that a lot of shady poo poo goes down in our (American) intelligence services, but blowing up allies' airports seems a bit beyond the pale.

I was willing to suspend disbelief for highschool terrorists (anime, after all), but this strains that disbelief past the breaking point.

You know who this is believable to? Conspiracy theorists. This is set in a world where Bush did 9/11.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Too much rapey gay, not enough terrorist brotherhood gay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

I like how this episode addressed how Five is so much less natural and more 'anime' a character than the rest of the cast. The Athena Project was designed to dehumanise its subjects, turning them into tools for the government (the names are a bit of a clue), and whilst Nine and Twelve managed to retain some of their humanity by escaping, Five ended up as the sole completed model. I wouldn't be surprised if that weird pseudo-schoolgirl outfit was designed by a corporation to make her more marketable or something.

I think this is definitely what they were going for, and it was clear from the first episode that Nine and Twelve were from some weird anime universe that the rest of the cast wasn't. I wouldn't call them particularly great anime characters, but they were competently put together. I was looking forward to Five coming from the same kind of place, but she feels totally off and not in a good way. She's supposed to be smart and dangerous but also frail and feminine, but the writer seems unable to make that work in a way that doesn't completely cancel each other out. I could buy that she has the FBI under her control if the FBI was as anime as she was and goofily subservient, but they seem to be playing it so straight that her antics just don't make sense.

As for Twelve, his turn into something more human doesn't really make any sense, and ruins that kind of devilish tone that made him fun to watch in the first place. However, the romantic bomb disarmament on a ferris wheel, despite being totally loving stupid, was hugely convincing in and of itself. This show is so weird in that it can pull off stuff like that, but then gently caress up so many big picture ideas.

• Locked thread