Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G07ugR9edds

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

GelatinSkeleton posted:

actually all anime sucks and is for pedophiles only, hth

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

FartRomancer.EXE posted:

its true, i have this avatar because i want to gently caress it. not because its a character i like from a show i like

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

13:30 - far shot of satsuki hanging in the cage
13:34 - shot of satsuki’s feet, ragged and hanging, Ragyo laughing. Panning up to Satsuki’s face until 13:43, without pausing to stare at her boobs like so many other animes
13:43 - close-up of Satsuki’s face (look of rage at 13:53)
13:54 - Looking at Ragyo talking to Satsuki
13:58 - medium-far shot of Satsuki, her body is darkened rather than well-lit. Ragyo gloating
14:11 - beginning of bad touch scene. The lighting of Ragyo is bright, the lighting on Satsuki is dark, guiding the eye to Ragyo, not Satsuki.
14:21 - Four second butt shot
14:25 - Close-up of a look of rage on Satsuki’s face
14:29 - Close-up of Ragyo’s face. Gloating.
14:36 - shot panning downwards from above Satuki’s face to her face. Seven seconds. No cleavage.
14:43 to 15:39 - Backstory.
15:40 - Far panning shot of cage.
15:56 - Butt slap.
15:57 - Shot of Ragyo and Satsuki’s face. This time, the lighting is on Satsuki.
16:03 - Closeup of Satsuki’s face into a close-up of Ragyo’s face. Still enraged / still gloating
16:09 - Shot of Satsuki’s legs from halfway down her thighs and panning downwards.
16:17 - Backwards shot of a bad touch sweeping down from Satsuki’s chest down to her behind.
16:28 - From Satsuki’s face into Ragyo’s face.
16:36 - Butt slap.
16:37 - Far shot of cage. Dark. More butt slaps and Ragyo emphasizing how much she wants Satsuki to hate her.
16:40 - Close up of faces. Butt slaps continue.
16:44 - Satsuki’s face, still mad. Still slapping. Maniacal laughter from Ragyo.
16:51 - End of the scene.

Let's recap -
lots of exposition
no lingering on boobs
lighting that deliberately de-emphasized Satsuki's body
lots of focus on the faces
fostering Satsuki's anger made a part of the conversation deliberately

If you think they spent a bunch of time on Satsuki's body you were paying attention to the wrong loving thing and you're using disgust to justify voyeurism. The scene wasn't fanservice. God drat.

I miss that thread, so much. :qq:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

FartRomancer.EXE posted:

one-punch man Is a good manga

One-punch man just might be the best manga there's ever been.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Sekkira posted:

Hellsing is Dracula vs Nazi robot vampires vs the KKK.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

holy poo poo what a bunch of fag nigglets

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Well you chose a very poor image to represent it :colbert:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-anabfAg06U

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Buschmaki posted:

I watched this as a kid and it was very confusing and scary.

Yeah I'm not really sure Paranoia Agent was geared towards children.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Community college sounds tough!!

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Lowtax posted:

I just tried to watch Jojo's Adventure and was bored to tears and turned it off and threw my computer out the window and moved to a different state

AND I AM NOT WATCHING MORE OF IT

You're supposed to watch the first 3 episodes. The three episode test is the patented quality litmus test for anime.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

COBRARocky posted:

kill la kill kill la killed anime

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Spacedad posted:

Getting people to check out original and interesting art/media is a bit like getting a little kid who doesn't want anything other than he's used to eating to try something different & exotic. Once they try it, they often find they like it.

The fact that you can see someone play and enjoy a game on youtube or twitch before you buy it - where you can't really do that for TV/movies - is something unique to the medium and it's resulted in a lot of surprise hits out of very original and interesting games. It doesn't require the effort of a demo, and a well-liked youtuber can often show off what makes a game worth playing rather better than playing a demo could. I personally think this is one of the biggest reasons why we've seen a huge boom of very original and creative content in the games industry now. It makes me wonder how the business model for animation could also evolve.

So what you're saying...is...that anime is good?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

quakster posted:

memes work exactly like genes and incest is really bad

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

anime......... is bad

Captain Invictus posted:

Counterpoint: anime is good

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I liked that anime movie about the guy who became a robot and fought other robots with a robot dog when I saw it in 1996 on Sci-Fi channel because it reminded me of Mega Man and Mega Man was dope as hell

Casshan Robot Hunter.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Is it related to that weird Japanese movie Casshan that was all CGI and in the end the human race becomes a God Asteroid

I dunno.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

hemale in pain posted:

that sounds loving sweet

It had the same animation style as the running man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaIM4OOZB_A

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Twitch posted:

I'm a pretty big Yoshiaki Kawajiri fan, but until today, whenever I heard that he was the director of The Running Man, I thought they meant the short from the Animatrix with the olympic sprinter.

edit: Going to give LOGH another try, I failed to get into it a couple years ago, but my tastes have changed since then.

No, that's the guy who made Aeon flux and Reign: The Conquerer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHyF4ZljapI

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

:barf:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Hobohemian posted:

I don't care you loving loser.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

gently caress the ROW posted:

after that guys lengthy reply i bit the bullet and watch episode 4 of kill la kill - the anime that makes you gay. There's a great scene about 2 minutes in where the anime mom's tits are just jiggling away while she's washing the suit. The other characters also jiggle their titties, sometimes as a laugh, sometimes seriously. Later the suit has sexual pleasures from being ironed

Well that's my review of kill la kill

I'm impressed, thank you.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Melchior posted:

i wasnt talking to you

Could you point out which posters you're talking about, in that case?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Machai posted:

probably the guy he quoted?

That guy doesn't post in ADTRW. :shrug: He talks about anime alot, but mostly in Cinema Discussio.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Fandyien posted:

human being type a lotta words

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

gently caress the ROW posted:

you can't trick me into watching more kill la kill Hbomberguy. Fool me twice, shame on you... a fool watches anime while the barn doors closed

Hey, if you made it through episode 4 I'm counting it as a win for anime.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Melchior posted:

this is all you really needed to post, bro

:xd:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Melchior posted:

its okay to have higher standards for what you want to watch. no big deal.

critical analysis of anime seems like something that would be offered as a liberal arts elective at a community college. the KLK thread was full of people reading way too much into themes. i dont know, i'm just someone who can enjoy something for what it is, rather than having to justify watching something by overexplaining it. not that you are doing that, but the people you were making fun of were.

Yeah but the KLK thread was also full of people like me who liked to post nice fan art. :colbert:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

WeeabooJudas posted:

I thought 4chan started when all the really weird posters on ADTRW defected.

It had something to do with Raspberry Haven, a P2P client people in ADTRW were using to share anime, I don't really know any more about the story than that.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Davelord Cheeto posted:

even tho the blue hair chick and the black and red hair chick are deece sexy anime babes the hottest anime babe of all time for my money is still lum iinvader because she's retro and retro is not only sexy but also cool + i've seen a rash of frumpy fat mexicans from daly city with the ryuko hair and it's bad news.

It's because of the hair products, maybe in a few years Ryuko hair will look nicer.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Hbomberguy posted:

On the subject of Ureseu yatsura or however you spell it, here's the British Dub. It's amazing, and a real thing. It was broadcast on actual television. Holy poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRcxz1MSPd0

A lot of good posts recently. To respond to one in particular:

I don't think so. I have a very specific stance on art, namely that there's no such thing as depth. Basically anything can be subject to critical analysis and result in something interesting - of course, you have to enjoy the show first, but remember that watching a show is analysing it. Everything you watch is a chance to inspect why you enjoy a particular thing or react in a certain way. I use KLK as a touchstone for this because it's 'not deep' in all the 'obvious' ways. There are tits in it, et cetera. I did also enjoy the show's writing and of course, as an Imaishi show, there's a lot of good imagery in there - a lot of Imaishi's works deal with how you respond to the media around you. TTGL has a lot of scenes that are about how the characters are perceived by others, especially on tv screens. In the middle of the show, the characters invent television and suddenly society starts eating itself. In KLK a lot of time is spent on characters 'watching the fights' on a television. The show is talking about media and how it affects people. This idea appears in a lot of media, because guess what, media has a stake in it. Not everything is 'secretly deep' 'meta' or whateverthefuck people call it. It's just that stuff made by people tends to be about the stuff in people's lives. It's not difficult and I'm sure you see what I'm getting at. Google Marshall McLuhan.

But all that said, my main point is a disagreement with the idea that there are a few 'deep animes' that are good and all the others are schlock. They're all equally schlock, but some of them have figured out how to mask themselves in the right kind of signifiers that make them seem inherently deeper. I'm more critical of things like Madoka and Eva for this reason - people go into them willing to enjoy them or see 'more depth' more than others, and it annoys me that they miss out on the simpler things in other similar shows. I don't think KLK is secretly deep, I think basically everything has a level on which it can be understood. The folks at Trigger quit cushy jobs at Gainax to work hand-to-mouth on projects they care about. It's not that hard to try giving them some credit. A lot of people do feel awkward watching KLK because they can't dispel the specter of their parents seeing tits and telling them to go to their room. I don't think I'm one of those people, though.

[Side Note: Understanding MLP and its wider-than-average appeal is arguably pretty important. The show is no less or more 'deep' than any other, but an even cursory glance at the show's content and its audience shows that it's because the show is capital-o Optimistic in just about every way possible, and this attracts people to it in a world of cynicism, irony and postmodern bullshit. That doesn't necessarily make the show good, don't get me wrong. A lot of movies and shows are well-liked for the same reasons, and I'm including KLK and its predecessor shows in this somewhat. Gunbuster and Diebuster are very similar shows to KLK when it comes down to it - it's a formulaic plot that plays out in fast-forward, then gets overturned by the Human Spirit and 'goes off the rails' in a very purposeful way that destroys the established cynicism. Diebuster ends as both an affirmation of the mecha genre and an admonition, concluding that your robots can be as 'epic', big in scale or realistic or well-animated as you like but it doesn't mean poo poo if there ain't no relatable human conflict in there.]

oh and Fandyien, in order to decide what's worth reading and what isn't, you have to watch it and read it. There's no alternative.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

macky2dope posted:

why is this therad so logn

Al Cowens posted:

<- see avatar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Hobohemian posted:

Can you stop being a total loving bitch for like 5 seconds?

• Locked thread