Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Very solid show today. Wasn't expecting much but it was mostly all good. Plus we got a concert after it finished!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Goto vs MiSu gonna rule.

Going to have to catch up on night 2 before then. Any match suggestions for those not wanting to watch an entire card?

Tomohiro Ishii v Satoshi Kojima - A BLOCK
Yuji Nagata v Tomoaki Honma - A BLOCK
Shinsuke Nakamura v Davey Boy Smith, Jr. - A BLOCK
AJ Styles v Toru Yano - B BLOCK
Togi Makabe v Karl Anderson - B BLOCK

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
In addition to those I liked Yujiro/Goto and Archer/Naito and thought Nakamura/DBS Jr. was kinda snoozey. Really everything was at least decent though.

edit: Oh and Okada/Tenzan is the most glaring omission there. MOTN imo although I missed the opener.

edit2: And Tana/Gallows was good too. gently caress it just watch the whole show.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 23, 2014

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

The top three matches were Ishii vs Kojima, Honma vs Nagata and Okada vs. Tenzan so I would start there.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
I think Day 1's best matches were better than anything on Day 2, but Day 2 had a better batting average. Not a single boring match on the show.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I bet he didn't buy a DVD either.

Piece of poo poo :rant:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

dsriggs posted:

Piece of poo poo :rant:

I was hoping YTR would sell the match by crawling out, still selling the DVD to the crowd.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I was hoping YTR would sell the match by crawling out, still selling the DVD to the crowd.

He crawled with it, but then gave it to a fan :)

Also wow 6am for this show on Friday? Eugh I dont know about catching that one live.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
Okada/Makabe, Goto/Suzuki and Tanahashi/Kojima should be really good, DBS jr./Shibata I'm hopeful for, and maybe Ishii/Benjamin can be a standout performance for Shelton, cause so far (and in NJPW in general) he's just kinda eh.

Think I'm gonna miss this one live again though, 10/11am starts were way better when I didn't have to do things :(

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Watching G-1 night 2, is this the first G-1 show in a while where they went back to cutting sound out entirely during certain entrances? I thought they'd gotten pretty good about playing different music over the feed.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Dunbar posted:

Watching G-1 night 2, is this the first G-1 show in a while where they went back to cutting sound out entirely during certain entrances? I thought they'd gotten pretty good about playing different music over the feed.

It's because it aired on Samurai TV. They don't dub it when it airs on there.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
just started night 2 and Kojima v Ishii might have taken years off of each person's life but it was awesome.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

just started night 2 and Kojima v Ishii might have taken years off of each person's life but it was awesome.

This is how I feel about every Ishii match I've seen.

Mr Muggy
Mar 30, 2010

I'm just gonna do this for about two minutes, okay?
Tomohiro Ishii is negative 75 years old if that is the case.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mr Muggy posted:

Tomohiro Ishii is negative 75 years old if that is the case.

The Curious Case of Tomohiro Ishii

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Meltzer really loved Night 1. Fale/Ishii ***1/2, Tenzan/Anderson ***1/4, Kojima/Nagata ***1/2, Naito/Takahashi ***1/2, Goto/Makabe ***3/4, Tanahashi/Honma ****1/4, Shibata/Nakamura ****1/2, Styles/Okada ****1/2. I'm guessing everyone who watched that show within 24 hours of watching Battleground felt pretty much the same way. Nothing from night 2.

Said there are still tickets left for the Osaka show, not many, but most of the other shows are advanced sellouts. It sounds like the Seibu Dome show will be considered a success if they sell at least 20,000 tickets and no one really expects it to sell out.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Dunbar posted:

Meltzer really loved Night 1. Fale/Ishii ***1/2, Tenzan/Anderson ***1/4, Kojima/Nagata ***1/2, Naito/Takahashi ***1/2, Goto/Makabe ***3/4, Tanahashi/Honma ****1/4, Shibata/Nakamura ****1/2, Styles/Okada ****1/2. I'm guessing everyone who watched that show within 24 hours of watching Battleground felt pretty much the same way. Nothing from night 2.

Said there are still tickets left for the Osaka show, not many, but most of the other shows are advanced sellouts. It sounds like the Seibu Dome show will be considered a success if they sell at least 20,000 tickets and no one really expects it to sell out.

I actually liked Shibata/Nakamura better than Okada/Styles, but other than that I'm in full agreement with him.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I thought Okada / Styles was incredible, Styles is my favourite wrestler these days

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I thought both of them had better matches on day 2 :shrug:

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

hm . . . no..

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

So Okada/AJ Styles wasn't for the title? I'm confused.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

coconono posted:

So Okada/AJ Styles wasn't for the title? I'm confused.

it was the first round in the G-1 Climax Tournament.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

John Cena posted:

it was the first round in the G-1 Climax Tournament.

Makes more sense. I lost my poo poo when Okada pinned AJ.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

coconono posted:

Makes more sense. I lost my poo poo when Okada pinned AJ.

Plus, that counter of the Styles Clash into the tombstone was rad as poo poo.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Tomorrow's card has a late start of 6:00 AM EDT. No way am I going to be able to see all of it before I leave for work.

quote:

NJPW, 7/25/14 (Samurai! TV/iPPV)
Yamagata Sports Center

1. G1 Climax - Block A: Tomoaki Honma vs. Doc Gallows
2. G1 Climax - Block B: Lance Archer vs. Karl Anderson
3. G1 Climax - Block B: Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Yujiro Takahashi
4. G1 Climax - Block A: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Shelton Benjamin
5. G1 Climax - Block B: Tetsuya Naito vs. Toru Yano
6. G1 Climax - Block A: Katsuyori Shibata vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr.
7. G1 Climax - Block A: Yuji Nagata vs. Bad Luck Fale
8. G1 Climax - Block B: Hirooki Goto vs. Minoru Suzuki
9. G1 Climax - Block A: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Satoshi Kojima
10. G1 Climax - Block B: Togi Makabe vs. Kazuchika Okada

Nakamura and Styles are off, but the second half still looks solid. Saturday's card headlined by Tanahashi vs. Shibata looks a lot bigger on paper so I'd recommend loving up your sleep schedules for that one if you can only pull it off once this weekend.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 24, 2014

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.
Bad Luck Fale is slowly rising up my list of favourite hosses. Dude just gives no fucks.

Gallows did the big scary gaijin schtick really well against Shelton on night one. Needs to get sweatproof makeup though.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

For me a lot of these matches are my first exposure to a lot of Japanese guys outside of Okada, Tanahashi, Nakamura, and Ishii. So every match has been really fun so far.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I'm glad I'm not working tomorrow so I can watch Tanahashi and Shibata try to work through 15 year old problems by punching each other in the jaw.

The next few shows should be amazing.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

Tomorrow's show is probably the weakest show in the tournament in terms of "must see" matches but it's still very solid and I get up at 6 AM on weekdays anyway so it's perfect to watch.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I'm glad I'm not working tomorrow so I can watch Tanahashi and Shibata try to work through 15 year old problems by punching each other in the jaw.

That's on Saturdays show!

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

Bard Maddox posted:

Tomorrow's show is probably the weakest show in the tournament in terms of "must see" matches but it's still very solid and I get up at 6 AM on weekdays anyway so it's perfect to watch.

I think Day 2 had a worse card on paper, and even that managed to deliver.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Meltzer on the podcast today was 100% right worrying about Ishii lasting for the entire tournament. After watching the first two nights I was desperately hoping he's booked in a few short jobbing matches because there's no way he can do 9 matches like the first two, even spread out over more time than last year and with a night off.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I don't have a side in their backstage squabble but Tanahashi has yet to make me swoon so go Shibata!

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Bard Maddox posted:

That's on Saturdays show!

I'm the worst about these sort of schedules :ohdear:. The top three matches from day 3 should be really good and I'm interested in seeing what Nagata can get out of Fale. Nagata's another one of those guys whose having an inconspicuous 2014 and he really beat the crap out of Honma like Honma owed him some money.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Finished night 2. Another very good show. Weird pacing in that it sort of seemed to peak with Okada/Tenzan and the final two matches were flat. Ishii/Kojima and Nagata/Honma were the best matches as everyone else has said, but Nakamura/Smith Jr was awfully drat good too. Smith Jr. is really good at playing the powerful gaijin heel and I always like him in singles matches in New Japan.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I still don't get what everyone sees in Okada/Tenzan that makes it better than Anderson/Makabe.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yeah, Shinsuke's my favorite wrestler right now so I'm biased but he's now had two pretty good matches with DBS Jr.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

I Before E posted:

I still don't get what everyone sees in Okada/Tenzan that makes it better than Anderson/Makabe.

People are expecting dog poo poo matches from Tenzan based on last years G1 and other matches.

Dunbar posted:

Meltzer on the podcast today was 100% right worrying about Ishii lasting for the entire tournament. After watching the first two nights I was desperately hoping he's booked in a few short jobbing matches because there's no way he can do 9 matches like the first two, even spread out over more time than last year and with a night off.

One thing about Ishii is that he is scary good at selling.

Overmayor
Jul 25, 2014

Dunbar posted:

Don't cry for Ishii. He's indestructible.

Speaking of which, did anyone else flip out when Ishii tried turning things around during the machine gun chops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

And we are live!

These 5:30 and 6am shows are the only ones I have a prayer of watching live. Hopefully the first half of this card overachieves because it doesn't look great on paper.

• Locked thread