Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Mukaikubo posted:

You know what would be awesome? If I had known before buying during a sale that I would have to sign up for some sketchy third party service with my e-mail address to be able to play at all! Welp, I was jonesing for something like Aerobiz, but looks like I'm not playing Airline Tycoon II after all since I'm not desperate enough to want even more stupid spam in my life.

You know, I have a separate email account I keep specifically for public use. Open it once in a while to click a verification link or something, and then who cares if it gets filled up with spam in the meantime.

I used to use my edu account as a strictly private one, but it ended up becoming a spam target somehow. I'm pretty sure it was my university that sold it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Why on earth isn't Mass Effect 3 on Steam? I actually thought it hadn't been ported to PC at all until just now.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Palladium posted:

Because EA like Capcom hates money.

I guess this answers my next question, which is "Why can I get Street Fighter and not Marvel vs Capcom?"

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

What is the best game on Steam that is like Final Fantasy Tactics? I just played XCOM - thanks for the recommendation, by the way - but I'm in the mood for something more RPG-esque, something I can relax with after work and not worry about clicking things quickly.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Are there any discounts going for Divinity Original Sin? I was asking about Final Fantasy Tactics-like games last night, but Divinity is looking really good from what I've seen. Don't really want to pay full price ($50? The DLC seems important judging by the Divinity thread title) when I already have a dozen Summer Sale games I haven't touched.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Thanks for that -- I now have it downloading courtesy of the other SA Mart Steam game seller (hiddenmovement wasn't on). I don't think the Russian keys are kosher for SA, though. I remember hearing something about how it's arbitrage(?) and if not exactly illegal, then pretty close.

You guys suggested Divinity and Shadowrun last night when I was asking about Final Fantasy Tactics clones, though. I guess I'm set for a while with Divinity, but are there any good FFT-style RPGs that have come out in the last few years? I tend to compare Divinity more to Baldur's Gate, which is turn-based strategy, I suppose, but wrapped up in the WRPG exploration package. I'm thinking more of "Here is a battle, now tinker with your men, now here is another battle." The closest I've played in the last few years was The Banner Saga, but that game was kinda meh. Totally worth buying, though, if only because it had fantastic illustrations and worldbuilding, and it's the sort of indie game where you can tell a ton of their cash went into actually building the engine, and so the game isn't as fleshed out as you'd like. But you can tell that, if they can afford to make another game to reuse the engine on, it'll be fantastic -- there's a ton of potential there if they could spend the majority of their budget on working on the actual game.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Testekill posted:

Haven't they set it up so that SFIV shows up as USF IV while not putting in any of the improvements?

How does this even work? Can you play against someone with an actual version of Ultra? And if so, whose rules do you use??

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This is absolutely not the case. Very little starcraft style micromanagement is required. You aren't controlling individual soldiers, managing health values, managing base building while in combat, scouting, and so on. APM means almost nothing. It's all about large scale tactics. You can pause whenever, too. I think there's a miscommunication here, because the TW series doesn't have much micromanagement at all. If the game feels overwhelming, just take it more slowly. You're probably overthinking things and aren't using the pause button.

I would say that Shogun 2 is probably the easiest to get into.

Is Shogun 2 or Fall of the Samurai better for a first-time player? It looks like Fall of the Samurai is a standalone expansion, which often means the old game's skeleton with more polish and features.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Sober posted:

They are vastly different even though they use the same map. Shogun 2 is spears/horses/bows/swords whereas Fall of the Samurai is Victorian-era armies with guns and cannons. At the battle level they engage differently, though on the campaign level they are probably similar in that regard.

I guess what I was really after is which one is the better game? In addition to Shogun 2 on sale at Humble, Fall of the Samurai is on sale directly on Steam.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Tempted to get the Groupees bundle for 5 bucks, but really the only game I'm interested in is Consortium, which seemed really interesting, if unpolished, when we had a short-lived thread here for a while. Eschalon looks okay too, but I'm put off by the fact that it's apparently the final part of a trilogy I'll probably never have time to play.

And wow, what on earth are these Little Big Adventure games? I watched the trailer, which usually presents the game in the best possible light, and it has no gameplay, just entirely holy gently caress cringeworthy bad 3D animation from 1997. Like not even funny-bad, but literally 16-year-old's-school-project bad. If you can't get a good animator, don't just take a halfhearted stab at it yourself. Just do comic-book cutscenes, or have a narrator, or literally anything else.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Breadallelogram posted:

Why does this game that came out in 1997 look like it's from 1997?

Wow, now that I wiki it, it actually came out in 1997. I'd be more embarrassed if I wasn't so impressed I nailed the year so precisely. I was even thinking "People probably woulda been impressed by this back in the day." I really only watched half the trailer on the Groupees page before I posted.

Still, what the heck is it, and why do people in here talk about it without cracking up?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Ddraig posted:

In Sonic 3 you will find a barrel. This immovable object is defeated by pressing and holding down.

Generations of nerds never, ever got past this because they lacked the basic faculties to think "Why don't I try all the buttons here and see if anything works?'

There are stories of people repeatedly jumping in time to force the barrel down etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRpHwR-Gi94

This one isn't quite fair because of the way the barrel reacts to an incorrect strategy -- you jump on the thing, it sinks down. You jump up higher, it sinks down further when you land. I remember it felt like if we just got the timing or the jump height down, the barrel would fall down far enough to get to the next part of the stage. Why would you try pressing other buttons when you're presented with what seems like a jumping puzzle?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I just bothered taking a look at mine for the first time ever last night, and I spent fifteen minutes to put everything on the Market last night for a penny under usual price, and I woke up this morning to a free $2.70 that I converted into FTL. Here's looking forward to another free indie game in a couple years.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Out of curiosity, how can opening a png file allow someone to access your steam account or PC?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Hey Steam folks! What's the cheapest way to get a Fallout 4 key that will let me preload on Steam and play as soon as it unlocks? Sorry if this is getting asked a lot, but I didnt see anything on the last few pages.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

ShadowMar posted:

bethesda isn't going to give a poo poo about their games unless someone else can deliver the same kind of open world experience with complete modding support; without the bugs, terrible writing or lack of depth and also causes an impact on their sales.

This. I enjoyed the poo poo out of Fallout 4 -- took a week off of work because I can't afford a real vacation anyway, and just slammed like 60-70 hours until it was done. But every single place you look, you see something that could have been done better; bugs everywhere, quests that are all "go here and kill these guys" with no real choice to make, a building and settlement system that was missing a ridiculous amount of essential features... But the game was still a ton of fun to play, even though some better writing and another 6 months of dev time and QA work could have made it completely amazing in every way. But no one's making THAT game, and Bethesda realizes they don't have to bust their balls to try to make THAT game when their 75% effort titles are still best-in-class.

Like, if you're in the desert, why bother working up an irrigation system when they'll make you rich for coming around once in a while with a bucket of water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Not a whole lot of Inside chat in the last five pages or so. I picked this up last night based on the perfect reviews it's gotten, and it has yet to grab me. I've just gone through a few puzzles involving getting the little submarine past a barrier -- does it pick up any from here? The atmosphere is pretty good, but the gameplay is pretty simplistic, and while it's been vaguely creepy so far, I'm not blown away like everyone else seems to be. Seems like a fairly generic platformer/puzzler with a neat style.

How far am I from the end, by the way? I spent an hour and a half on it so far, so I might as well finish up, since I heard it was a fairly short game.

• Locked thread