Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

The one thing I really wished the Steam update would have had would be touch support for scrolling up and down pages on a touch screen. Having to touch the scroll bar and drag it down every time is pretty unintuitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If I only plan on playing one Rollercoaster Tycoon game, which should it be? Leaning towards 3 right now since it looks the prettiest.

3 is probably the last good rollercoaster building game ever.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I should mention that I am not particularly interested in building the coasters. While that is cool, it is not the main appeal. I'm looking mainly for the management aspect, trying to relive the Bullfrog glorly days of Sim Theme Park, only with a game that doesn't look like a butt.

Well luckily 3 is the last good one of those, too. Just don't get any of those rollercoaster making "games" that are on steam

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I will probably never categorize my Steam games beyond favorites / nonfavorites because of how Steam would always delete them the next time you signed in anyway.
Obviously finding stuff is really drat difficult

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Do I just own too many games by now or is this sale really lacking in comparison to some of the ones a few years ago? Seems a lot more conservative towards crazy discounts for new games like old sales seemed to have.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Breadallelogram posted:

People have been saying this for the entire 3 years that I've been paying attention to steam sales.

So you weren't checking them when they were decent, ok

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Is Cities XL worth getting? Apparently they're working on a Cities XXL but I'm in the mood for citybuilding stuff. Better to hold off?

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

Got one of them in an earlier sale and they're garbage. Just get sim city 4 and a mod pack if you don't have it already

Yeah it's usually my go-to game for stuff like this but I wanted to try something new :sigh: that's disappointing.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Wait and see if Tropico or ANNO comes around again if you want another city builder. ANNO 2070 and 1404 in particular are great for eye candy and being more relaxed sims.

Never tried ANNO but I have Tropico 4 and love that, was just after some 'serious' city building stuff for now. I'll check out ANNO if it goes on sale again

Good Citizen posted:

If you're looking for a different city builder than SC4 then Tropico 5 is probably the next best go-to

drat, I figured enough people play these kinds of games for them to be a little more popular. I'll grab Tropico 5 if it goes on sale for a reasonable amount I suppose.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

We are all eagerly awaiting the second coming of citybuilders in the Citybound thread. Unfortunately the most recent Sim City killed the genre and seemed to have made people think that city builder games will flop even with a big name behind it like Sim City.

Yeah, I bought that and tried so hard to like it. You'd figure people would be lining up to try and take over Sim City as THE citybuilding game but apparently not.

Harminoff posted:

Is there not a thread for garys mod at all? I picked it up and the game modes seem fun but would rather play with some decent people.

While it is a very fun and creative game, most of that has been long dead in favor of children yelling into mics about minecraft and do nothing but roleplay now. Building stuff in single player is probably recommended now.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Authorman posted:

Banished is a real good option that hasn't been mentioned yet. Hits the right balance between hair-raising management sim and chill city builder. Just don't look up stuff on it, the economy is real easy to bust open if you know how to do it.

I tried this and couldn't get into it at all, felt like you needed a guide or FAQ with you at all times to even play the game for more than an hour. This was an older version, though.

Think it's just going to be waiting for Cities XXL or Skylines or something, thanks for the suggestions though goons

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Torchlight II and Saints Row IV Game of the Century, yay or nay?

Torchlight I is generally thought of as the best but II is good and there's a lot of mods that make add some depth. Saints row is the standard monkey cheese xD open-world thing, try out 3 if you haven't already.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Anyone tried out Door Kickers? I like SWAT 4 and Frozen Synapse but I don't want to get burned, obviously

e: What about Xenonauts? It's a toss up between the two

StabMasterArson fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 1, 2014

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Croccers posted:

How's Tabletop Simulator coming along these days? Has it progressed past only really able to play TCG/LCGs with it? Mousetrap-like things would be cool but miniature games beyond Warhammer would be excellent.

It certainly is possible as it is currently, there always seems to be people working on special dice and ripping / making models etc. Devs are really great too, adding stuff like ruler lines for measuring. Of course, most TCGs work perfectly.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Just a heads up, apparently Cities XXL is the exact same game as Cities XL, running on one core and all.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Please nobody buy Vulture for Nethack.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/341390/

Seems like a poo poo tileset, as well, but I loving hate iso in a top-down roguelike, it just feels so weird.

Yeah, for a graphics pack the art is actually really inconsistent and half of the enemies and player sprites are just ripped from GIS.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Smoremaster posted:

Having never played any of the Sniper Elite games, would it be better to pick up 2 or 3? I'm itching to headshot some nazis.

Probably too late on this but 3 added a load of weird stealth mechanics that you were screwed if you ignored and is a much different game because of it. Sniper Elite 2 also has stealth mechanics but nothing as far fetched as some of the stuff 3 has you do. 2 is a really fun game all the way to the end, whereas I preordered 3 and only ended up playing 2 or 3 levels.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Innerguard posted:

Jagged Alliance : Flashback is on sale. Can anyone weigh in on an opinion with this, for a fan of JA2?

I might sound a bit sour since I Kickstarted that thing at full price...
It shouldn't have been released, it's held together by string and tape. Even as an Xcom clone it's really dull and everything feels half-done. There's apparently this one guy, Shanga, who is making mods to make it feel like an actual finished game that's a pretty slow turnover.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

http://store.steampowered.com/app/344630/
:shepicide:

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Why do they bother calling it a school it's obviously a harem

It's gotta be as creepy as possible to appeal to the Steam userbase

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I convinced my friend to get Skylines and he played it for like an hour and hasn't touched it since :( I think he likes citybuilders he just mentioned that it was way more confusing than Simcity

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What? The only way its more complex than Sim City 3000 or 4 is that traffic is a bit more realistically modeled.

As mentioned earlier it's probably something to do with the fact they get a few hours to play videogames with per week and they don't really want to have to figure out the game before playing it

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

CJacobs posted:

So, Resident Evil 6 turned out to be unbelievably disappointing, but I have to ask, how is Revelations 2? 40 bucks is not that bad and I got paid today so I wouldn't mind throwing some money at it if it's at LEAST RE5 levels of quality. Plus it's got Barry and Barry is the absolute most important part of Resident Evil on the whole.

If you thought Resi 6 was disappointing and boring then Revelations 2 might actually kill you.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Palpek posted:

Some documentary about indie game developers is coming out on Steam today: GameLoading: Rise of the Indies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw7pt6hC23w

The trailer makes it look a bit too "indie games are making a difference in the world irl" self back-patting but might be an interesting watch anyways.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

So, 'poor titles' like those that get greenlit everyday, and 'hastily-financed' like kickstarter games?

:tinfoil:

The people complaining about the movie thing in the Steam discussions are the same people who buy every visual novel

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

The Kins posted:

The not-a-mod version of Black Mesa Source is now in Early Access for $20. Multiplayer, extra polish, map workshop and still no goddamn Xen.

Haha, what?

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Free version of Black Mesa has just been removed from their website.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Give it time, removing stuff from moddb can take a while.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Only just found this site. Pretty cool but depressing too: http://steamcharts.com/

More people are playing Condition Zero than either Evolve or The Crew :stare:

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Home Improvisation is really good

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Just put in my first steam refund request...for all the games I bought on the summer sale. Just don't have the time and could use the money for other stuff. Interested to see if the refund for games I bought 15 days ago gets accepted or not.

Doesn't the refund go into your Steam account? Either way that money is spent on Steam only

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Xander77 posted:

I may have ranted about this before, but:

Obsidian games (for instance) are infamous for their bugginess. Part of it is just a reputation that nothing can be done about (Fallout 3 and NV were about equally buggy, but only one fit the narrative and thus was dwelled upon). Another part has to do with deadlines and lack of staff, both are which are fairly hard to overcome. There's a reason why they can't "just" fix that issue.

Meanwhile, Betsheda is know for its lovely lovely writing. And that can be fixed... by hiring someone to actually write your game, instead of assembling your plot using generic fantasy elements madlibs. Why not just fix the problem?

Because people were preordering collectors editions before even seeing gameplay videos, they aren't really in a rush to spend time and money actually making it halfway decent :v:

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I was fully prepared to 100% Dying Light until I saw the lovely ending

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

havenwaters posted:

Also Psycho Mantis.

Check the top right corner around the 3 minute 55 seconds mark.

The musical sting at 3:30 sounds a LOT like Psycho Mantis' theme too

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

should I get ARK despite owning rust and dayz?

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I got a code with my GPU for either rear end creed or rainbow six, any of those worth playing of should I sell it?

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I'm very glad that I got Siege free with my GPU and didn't pay actual money for it.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Stanley Parable creator William Pugh's new game is out, and it's very good and had me laughin a lot, plus it's free http://store.steampowered.com/app/409160/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

WickedHate posted:

RN5DF-D0ER5-VRLLI

Thanks!!

• Locked thread