Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
so I bought Black Flag but it was on uplay because i'm dumb. what DLC is worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Fart of Presto posted:

http://steamdb.info/search/?a=app&q=enemy+territory

Then use the standard command steam://install/appid on the demo and hope the files are still there.

I have no idea what this means.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Oh goddammit I got hit with that black flag save bug. Got up to unlocking the Jackdaw and boom turns out nothing saved since the opening. Ugh.

Don't suppose anyone has any saves in similar areas? Even a few areas ahead is fine, I've completed up to the pirate island you upgrade on xbox.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

The Kins posted:

Hey! Remember how EA gave the "Ultimate Edition" of The Sims 2 away to everyone who owned some other digital version of the game?

Well now they're giving it away to everyone for free until the end of the month, presumably to stop people from bugging Origin support to add their decade old retail keys to their account.

To get it, crack open Origin and redeem the CD-key I-LOVE-THE-SIMS before 10AM PDT on July 31st.

I swear I never quite got the hate for EA. Origin is actually a fantastic platform and giveaways like these are pretty nice.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Dominic White posted:

Origin has only just started to add support and features on par with Steam, and it took them a long, LONG time to reach that point. Back before EA rebranded it, it was a lovely little app called EA Downloader, and anything you bought through it had an expiry date. You could pay an extra $6 on top of your premium direct-from-publisher price for 'download insurance' so that you'd be able to access the game for another two years.

There has been so much wrong with Origin over the years. It's decent and unobtrusive enough now (although it's yet another password/login to remember), but it took a very long time to get to such a mediocre position.

Ow, okay that's bad. Still, coming into PC gaming recently (and not buying Sim City 4/Battlefield) I don't mind them overmuch.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

You could try the Long War mod for XCOM:EW, it's functionally a bigger expansion pack than EW was. I really like it so far, and LW has basically taken over the XCOM thread here.

Could I have a link to the thread? For the life of me I can't find it with search.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

I can say from my own personal and subjective experience that the entire game is amazing and at no point was any chapter a let-down. I'm at the last one now and while it sure is a lot of QTEs I'm still enjoying it. I've enjoyed it all enough to give the comic books a try despite knowing that it gets really "Pro-Israel" or something later in the series.

also super anti abortion

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

As for Niko, you're basically playing GTA with Eeyore as the main character.

Well this needs to be a mod as of now.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

My life is complete.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Orv posted:

Stop recommending Bound By Flame to people you goddamn animals! :argh:

It has the best rear end in a top hat protagonist though! Also I absolutely adore the look of the female Vulcan, even if her voice actress is absolutely atrocious.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Crabtree posted:

We're a week and 11 hours till Risen 3 comes out, and the english trailers and early German footage have got me stoked that PB learned everything they needed to from their previous mistakes. Multiple factions and crystal magic are back without sacrificing voodoo or pirates from the world, so they're not throwing the baby out with the bathwater again involving anything good from the last game. You can fight and piss off everyone and everything, regardless of how powerful you are at that point - as well as craft and customize more than any other gothic-like yet. You brew potions and liquors, craft items and other armaments, weave enchantments and even experiment with your own spell effects (with thankfully no encumbered or item limit in sight for you alchemical or loot kleptomaniacs). They seemed to have made sure every group has a little bit of something and not just HERE IS YOUR MELEE FIGHTERS CLUB/HERE ARE THE PEOPLE WHO ONLY USE RIFLES/etc. as apparently the Guardians, Voodoo Pirates and Demon Hunters have their own unique sword, long-range and sorcery styles for players to discover instead of gimping them into a single form of combat and armor. Of course, there are other unmentioned NPCs and factions existing that will teach you your god given right to thieving and other potentials skills, regardless of which "major" faction you side with.

I may be too much of a Gothic nerd and likely don't see what could go wrong as I got this for free, but I'll be sure to tell anyone who wants to know, in this thread and out, how Risen 3: Titan Lords turns out next Tuesday. :)

This looks kinda cool but also somewhat like a poor man's skyrim. As someone who's never played any of the Risen/Gothic games, this tempts me but doesn't sell me entirely. What am I looking at here?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

yo so everytime i start steam up it fails to recognize the steam library on my G:/ hard drive. i.e. not my C drive. I've tried opting in and out of the beta to no avail. If I try to install a game it tells me to select my steam library and detects everything fine, but it's totes annoying.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Palpek posted:

The swordplay is not effective especially against a group of enemies because that was the game telling you not to do that. Open combat in Disonored is fantastic as long as you're using the whole arsenal you're given and change your position instead of pushing the purposefully boring direct sword fights. It's not the game's fault that you have 2 full ui wheels of weapons and superpowers that you refuse to use.

Basically just watch the above linked video and all the other ones by that uploader and you'll get a handle on dishonored combat right quick.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Australia's minimum wage is 16.87 AUD which is about $15.70 USD. US mimimum wage in most states is less than half of that, that's a bit more than "slightly." I know Australians love bitching about their high prices, and it's to some degree warranted in cases like these where it's an entirely digital product, but it's a very unique situation that has nothing in common with the prices in developing countries.

Yeah but if you look at purchasing power it's close to 9.50 or so iirc. It's impressive but less than you'd think.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

So I bought Lichdom Battlemage, and while I love the voice acting the opening is aggressively awful visually. I'm fine with them avoiding 3D scenes and 2D images done well can be really nice, but holy poo poo the 2D scenes in the opening are literally sketches and are terrible. Please tell me there are plans to change this.

The rest is pretty awesome as far as I see though.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

You're playing an alpha (or a beta, Idk anymore,) they haven't rendered the cutscenes yet.

True! But I was under the impression full release was in a few days.

e: It's fine though. I love the game and it's a ton of fun so far, not to mention it's beautiful. I just thought i'd mention that.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 23, 2014

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Agent355 posted:

I'm looking for some good RPGs, preferrably of the turn based variety, something I can play while watching netflix. I've already played many of the more popular/recent ones but there have to be a good many I've yet to try.

Divinity Original Sin perhaps?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Orv posted:

Man, you know, Lords of the Fallen probably won't be what they're touting it as, but drat if it doesn't look nice.

You know this game really looks like a high budget version of Bound By Flame, which I loved (if only for the amazing soundtrack).

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I don't really notice the difference between 8 and 8.1 because I use startisback.

Heck I barely even notice the difference between windows 7 and windows 8 anymore, because startisback is just that useful. Though, to be honest, just download launchy and never use the start menu again.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

The bundle with the world's largest install size has finally arrived

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/fear-bundle/

Quick dumb question. Which FEAR do I actually install for FEAR 1? I've never played it and I have FEAR, Extraction Point, and Project Mandate all of which are 17(!!) gigs.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Just FEAR 1, which contains both expansions, which is why it's 17GB. Each install contains the whole thing. :downs:

Hahahaha oh wow. I get the install size joke now.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

HardDisk posted:

Does anyone else have problems running FEAR smoothly?

I run the benchmark thingy and it runs pretty fast, but when I actually play the game, it runs like crap.

This is also a question I have.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I don't really care about destiny I just want Halo 3 on PC

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Hack n Slash is fun but I'm godawful at puzzle games and can't even get to the first boss. Looks quite cool though.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Not to sound rude or anything, but could we use [timg] tags when posting massive images? Since I for one (dunno about anyone else here; probably a couple I guess) am trying to sneakily read through the Steam thread during quiet periods at work, but don't want to get busted with massive comics/whatever filling the screen, if possible!

Alright, I think you've all put me off getting Max Payne 3 - I think I might just buy MP2 and play through that again.
Actually, on the topic of Max Payne, how does the original compare to MP2? Since I've only played the second, although I enjoyed it quite a bit when I played through it ages ago, and wouldn't mind more of the same.

I, on the other hand, loved MP3. I found the story engaging and interesting and the gameplay was incredible. Outside the lovely literal final boss, I totally loved it.

Just use a trainer for unlimited bullettime.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Stuntman posted:

What's the consensus on Always Sometimes Monsters? It looks interesting, but the reviews are a bit split on it.

Probably fine if you're not a speed reader. If you are you'll find that the text moves waaaay too slowly with no option to speed it up and in an all text game that's just unacceptable. It was to the point were I'd alt-tab out if I could without the game losing focus because I was reading for two seconds, waiting for 4. Reading for 2, waiting for 4. I'm sure it's a very good story though.

E: wow this is pages late hahah

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 17, 2014

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Rookersh posted:

Little bit more info came out about Final Fantasy XV at TGS.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/heres-the-final-fantasy-xv-tgs-trailer/2300-9468/

As someone who hasn't really enjoyed the series for awhile, I'll actually buy this when it comes to PC? It looks like the four protagonists are also just sick of/confused by the Final Fantasy storyshit, and looks more like a roadtrip through what Japan thinks America is. Also no Nomura for the art design, so everything looks somewhat normal which is fine by me.

It looks like it's Final Fantasy for people who hate Final Fantasy, which makes me interested in it.

This looks hella cool but I'm very disappointed blondie is a dude.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

The Game of Thrones game was actually good yeah?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat the gently caress just happened to steam

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Ragequit posted:

With goon hyperbole I am sure it will be, but I think it looks pretty fun! They even got Wil Wheaton, Adrianne Curry, Terrell Owens, and Dwayne Richard (dude who scored the most Gauntlet points ever in the world) together for a blind run through and it looked like a good time.

You can't just say this and not link it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

To get out of this conversation.

I liked dragon age 2 and repeating corridors aside thought it was legitimately quite good.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

So what, I need a steam+ sub before steam support isn't poo poo?

Sorry, what's steam+?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I actually quite liked Dragon Age 2, if only because I really liked the voice actress for FemHawke. I also liked the story, and the gameplay was... mediocre at best. Frankly it was aggressively bad for a triple A game, but I liked the plot enough to finish the game. So long as I didn't look too closely at it at any rate.

DA:O, by comparison, was so aggressively boring that it took a half dozen times to finish it, and then even only because I really wanted to play DA2. Better gameplay, sure, but God I hate having a silent protagonist. Hate it hate it hate it, especially in a modern RPG.

E: Oh gently caress it's a new page I'm dead.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Goddammit. I was just about to post saying I've never had a problem with uplay when I launched black flag and sat on the loading screen forever. Quit out with alt-f4, tried to relaunch the game, just get a black screen after the intro movies.

Ughhhh.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Yo is GetGamesGo legit? They're selling Far Cry 4 + AC Unity together for 90 bucks, and I have to say it's pretty tempting for both.

http://www.getgamesgo.com/product/far-cry-4-assassins-creed-unity-bundle

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yes, GetGamesGo is run by Eurogamer.

Sweet.

Unfortunately I can't purchase from there with a Canadian Card. Goddammit.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Ragequit posted:

Oh boy I can't wait to play "School Shooting, The Game" in 2015:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrX7G-1xPLs

Well that was legit nauseating.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I'm not into dudes but AC: Revelations Ezio is actually crazy attractive and tbh one of the main reasons I'm suffering through it coming from Black Flag.

Like seriously. Crazy, crazy attractive italian dude. Just wish he didn't speak in cutscenes. Or at all, for that matter.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Palpek posted:

AC: Revelations is a good game though, I would understand if you were suffering through AC3 because of being crazy about Connor or something but Rev is a worthy sequel to Bro.

Honestly I even missed some of those bombs in Blackflag, not all mind you because bomb crafting was way too complicated and unnecessary but they could have left like 3 types of different purpose ones in the series.

It's fine, but the opening was a slog and there's something about the game that just feels ~last gen~ to me in a way that Black Flag and even assassin's creed 3 do not.

Dunno why I feel this now when I didn't playing assassin's creed 2 on the xbox when it came out, but I'm shallow in that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Ok Alien Isolation is really cool and atmospheric as gently caress and I haven't even seen the titular beast.

• Locked thread