Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Chiming in to say that Splinter Cell: Blacklist is a great game, you can stealth through like the early SC games or go balls out murderer Conviction style (if you're awesome :colbert:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

lechunnel posted:

Splinter Cell: Blacklist is $7.50 on Humble Store now, and $17 for the Deluxe Edition on GetGames.

Does the extra $10 net you anything particularly worthwhile?

2 DLC that goes on sale for $1.50 a piece

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Jade Empire did kind of suck. I played it for an hour or so and never went back. Conversely I loved the poo poo out KOTOR. Usually it ends up being tiny little things that make people decide whether they like a game or not.

The combat in Jade Empire is so loving horrible and has aged even worse. I bought it and thought I'd dust it off but Christ it's just awful. Keyboard and mouse or controller, made no difference.

Conversely the combat in KoTOR isn't something to write home about but at least it's still playable.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

hahaha oh my god

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Accordion Man posted:

Or the one female PC that's called "Feminist Whore" in the game files. Real charmers, dose guys.

Also for people interested in Soul Suspect, its still 10 bucks cheaper over on Humble Store.

Jesus are you serious?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Firefall was just plain loving boring in open beta and it's currency system was just stupid. How they didn't get somebody new in and ask "hey, is this too needlessly complex?" is beyond me

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Awesome! posted:

they are giving you something for free. take it or don't. whining about it makes you look like a baby

I'll take it, it is a great classic game. But honestly it's not like it's really impressive or anything.

"Oh man, Wing Commander 3 for FREE!? Got to get me that."

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I'm always amazed at how F2P is often "literally vastly more expensive than non-F2P if you want the same features."

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I paid $5 for the game and the season pass.

(It's not worth even that)

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I have 57 games on my wishlist because I never buy games at full price. So I do order them based on how much I "want" them (newer games up top usually) while the list allows me quickly see if any of them are on sale and for how cheap.

Hope that helps some people understand what a larger wishlist could be used for.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Drifter posted:

If I'm only going to play one Splinter Cell, should I play Blacklist or Conviction?

I already played Chaos Theory, so don't be a dork and suggest that because that's not one of the options.

If you have both I say play Conviction first as Blacklist has better gameplay and you probably won't want to turn back to Conviction afterwards. And, if you don't like the combat focused Conviction, just skip it to Blacklist where you don't need to use it!

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I never found Claptrap funny in BL1. I'm ~2 hrs into 2 and he is just as unfunny as before.

Handsome Jack has given me a couple of chuckles though

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

Just got Fist Puncher with that Adult Swim Humble Bundle and while I love the game to death I cannot loving beat the cultists on the subway. By leveling up the Beekeeper I've gotten to the final boss with 45 seconds or so to spare but then it all comes grinding to a halt and I waste all 45 seconds just trying to get the boss's health down to just under half.

At this rate I'll have Beekeeper's stats completely maxed out, probably still won't be able to beat it. I just want to finish the game, I've cleared all the map south of the subway but I can't get any further :(

Beat it first try with Dr. Karate.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Glad to see that, when the dust settles, people are sticking up for Blacklist as a good game because it really is.

If there ever was a case of a designer really addressing gameplay issues and giving people what they want after changing it Blacklist would be it.

That story though, good god

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Ddraig posted:

I know Operation Flashpoint Red River/Dragon Rising are pretty terrible as OF games.. but how are they if you were to assume they were nothing to do with Flashpoint at all? Are they any fun? Worth the cheap price?

No. They're only good if you get 4 friends together and co-op, and even then it's still using clunky as gently caress GFWL.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

Because Revelations isn't very good and AC3 is outright bad while Black Flag is fantastic?

Whoa, AC3 is actually pretty good.

I remember reading how poo poo and buggy it was but it's been patched the poo poo out of now so a lot of the bugs (and reading some old patch notes it's comical how bad of a state the game released in) have been fixed.

If you've ever wanted to be Hawkeye from Last of the Mohicans where you go running, full tilt, into about a dozen dudes and just go balls out whirling tomahawk then it rules. Honestly the combat system is the best they've ever done (smoother than AC4).

Story is about as dumb as any other AC game (and really falls apart in places where you can tell they cut scenes out and jumbled a bunch of poo poo together).

Of course it doesn't look as good as AC4 and if you try playing the ship combat after AC4 you'll find it garbage.

But even so, it's worth giving it a shot!

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Got some extra Steam keys from some bundles. Just say what you take, thanks.

Jack Orlando: Director's Cut
http://store.steampowered.com/app/253960/
Steam key: 950Z6-GIHQK-DGFLP

Lost Civilization
http://store.steampowered.com/app/264580/
http://www.indiegala.com/game?game_id=560a7f5c798711e498a4834ef21dbb44

Power Up
http://store.steampowered.com/app/312640/
http://www.indiegala.com/game?game_id=8cc85140798711e4928bcbf9b17d4968

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Got some extra keys with a bundle.

PixelJunk Shooter Steam Key: E8RQC-ZPK8R-AIBTN
PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate Steam Key: LE9GY-9WC6T-BJXH4

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Couple of free Steam keys

Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves Steam Key: MDY7L-IR0W9-VGWRA
Fly'N Steam Key: XA4Y9-6MRM5-H4ITK

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

bamhand posted:

How is Ghost Recon? And is any of the DLC worth it for single player?

It's a fun enough third person shooter. It's kind of like Rainbow Six Vegas but in third person. I got it for something like $10 with the completely worthless season pass (I think it gives you like 2 SP guns but 5 MP maps that no one plays). It's $5 now so I'd say watch a bit of gameplay and if it looks like you'd be interested go for it, it's $5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DBoJJjFiH4

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Palpek posted:

I just came to post that you can kill cats in AC: Rogue.

EDIT: I guess make it dogs too now.

Man I would've bought Rogue so quick during the Ubisoft sale.

If it was on sale.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Update on Resident Evil Revelations 2: Raid mode features the return of my favorite gun in the entire series. You probably should play Revelations 2.

edit: I am glad to see that this gun is still totally fuckin retarded, I love it. The recoil on it basically makes you point directly upward after you fire it but boy does it put holes in some zombies.

THE COMPENSATOR .500

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Hrvstmn31 posted:

Shadows of Mordor any good? All I remember is people talking poo poo about it when it first came out?

If you like Assassin's Creed combined with Batman: Arkham Asylum combat system (including both games' love for a bunch of collectible bullshit some people hate) then you'll like it.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

HELLDIVERS(tm) is pretty god drat fun and the only game I have paid asking price for in the past 3 years.

Worth it.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Is Far Cry Primal not a full game or something?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Mad Max, though really a mostly alright open world game (due to how repetitive a lot of the game is to unlock stuff), has a loving great ending.

100% hell bent on murder revenge (really justice revenge considering how evil the guys you kill are). Having the kid voice over when Max just goes full rage was really well done. A lot of games are great and end mediocrely. Mad Max was getting tiresome but holy poo poo it ended well.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Freak Futanari posted:

I kinda wish they'd have put FFXI in the box instead of FFXIV.

No, you really don't

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Being in a hospital is super lovely and boring; imagine being a kid with cancer in the hospital for loving months.

Yeah a Wii and Zelda won't save your life but gently caress you can bet it's a quality of life saver with the poor kid going through chemo.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 24, 2015

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

This looks so bad.

There is a gun called the P.M.S. apparently. I swear 3D Realms' must have a corporate culture dead set on not moving past the mid-1990's "haha sexism is pretty funny right guys?"

I mean, gently caress it, sometimes jokes based on the sexes can be funny if they're well crafted, sure. But calling a gun a P.M.S. is sexist while also being completely unoriginal but also a "joke" that was never really all that funny to begin with when it was "acceptable", and really was played out 20 years ago.

It's more the idea that the dev team genuinely thinks that they're being clever or something with that acronym that bugs me than anything else. The word of P.M.S. literally being the sole joke and punch line? In 2015? Really? Do they have a gun called the F.A.R.T. that fires smelly wind blast that sounds like farts at bad guys too?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Not that games have to be super realistic but you can slowly putter while using the sniper rifle but you can't expect to be driving with speed and use it.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Republic Commando: Yay or nay?

Gameplay is pretty dated (obviously) but if you can get around that it's pretty good.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I don't like range classes in basically any game ever. Torchlight 2 was a huge letdown after enjoying the first.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

That one was pretty super, man.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Guy Mann posted:

That said, a lot of the appeal of EDF is that it's a budget series and if they really are releasing it as a full-priced title on Steam that seems like a huge misstep.

Considering new games are selling for what? $79.99 now? $49.99 is a budget game.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

For what it's worth I never really cared for mindless shooters but played the apparently lovely PC release with a buddy who played the console games.

It was a lot of fun getting ludicrous weapons and if it clicks for you then you'll like it enough that the grind won't seem like a grind because you like shooting the poo poo out of alien bugs.

If you don't like it then there's no point in it really because you're playing the game to get weapons to play the game more.

I'd say watch some videos and if you have some bros to play with then it's probably worth it.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I never liked a Elder Scrolls game until I bought Skyrim.

I thought Skyrim sucked too.

Then I installed around 125 mods to change how the combat worked a bit, how the level up system and skills worked almost completely, and shitloads of new weapons and armour that didn't look retarded past steel. Oh and some ENBs and lots of graphic mods. Very few quest tweaks though (barring fixing broken ones with USLEEP).

I've thrown in over 130 hours into Skyrim before I finally beat it. I think the "this is a great game" comes from it's mod-ability and core lore you can build on as well as general story. In terms of specifics like dialog and gameplay it's kind of "eh" but with the modding I can cater it completely to my tastes until I go "gently caress yeah this is exactly what I want and it's single player so how I modify my enjoyment affects literally no one else."

I can't think of many other AAA games released nowadays that allow such modding freedom. Mostly you get tex-mod poo poo which is a pain in the rear end hassle or cheat engine poo poo that is a buggy mess. Skyrim's mod community seems pretty good with amid Organizer and LOOT, plus bug-fixing patches where the work is done for you (Arthmoor's loving autistic "artistic" door meltdown aside).

I wouldn't bother with Skyrim as an unmodded game at release but, as I said, after over 100 mods I have a game I want to play so take from that what you will.

Welp that's my contribution to the Bethesda binary garbage fire of a discussion we have going on.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

Thing is, most good games don't tend to need dozens of mods to make them fun.
Also, what core lore? "Dragons are Bad"?

That's why I was specific about how I found Skyrim to be great. Somebody else playing "my Skyrim" might think it sucked but I thought playing the vanilla Skyrim that most people played and enjoyed sucked so here we are.

Well the setting with essentially Vikings vs Romans and elves and dragons with a long-standing history. Also look at this guy saying all dragons are bad come on man.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

$1 Humble Bundle you get games + DNF
$2 Humble Bundle you get games - DNF

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Azhais posted:

I made the decision long ago to boycott ubisoft until uplay dies (so probably forever). It seems to serve no purpose other than to prevent legitimate buyers from playing their games. It's really quite sad that their DRM system has made it far easier to :filez: their games than to get them running after buying them

The sad part is that this isn't even hyperbole in some cases. I bought Ghost Recon Future Soldier and couldn't get past uPlay. My friend pirated and had no problems.

Took me about 1.5-2hours of troubleshooting to get my legal purchase to work.

uPlay has gotten NOT AS AWFUL but it still isn't actually good.

And to be clear I'm not a Steam fanboy or anything. EA's Origin (while still not as good as Steam) was poo poo but now I'm fine using it with confidence. uPlay is still a goofy pain the the rear end I would be happy to do without.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

Uplay is really hit or miss, judging from the stories that crop up in the thread. My account is actually older than Uplay itself and the worst thing it's ever done to me was dump a patch into a default folder instead of the actual game install. The fact that their servers near-reliably tank every time their games go on sale is dumb, though.

That's my personal experience too. Most games it's a hassle because of extra DRM but whatever, it works in that I can open the game.

loving Ghost Recon though, just a massive hassle. Then there's the fact I've had to reinstall it troubleshooting probably a dozen times or so at least.

The best I can say is that when it's at it's best it's only a minor inconvenience. I never buy Ubisoft games at launch anymore because of uPlay until I know whether or not Ubisoft poo poo the launch bed for their latest release (hint: they always do).

• Locked thread