Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

evilmiera posted:

As it should be. Once those services get out of the development-swamp that Steam was in during its early years there might be a reason to get the services other than "these companies forced it on us to play their games".

In defense of Origin, I just recently installed it to play Mass Effect 3 and it's improved a lot over the state it was in a year ago. It's behind Steam, sure, but it's at least making improvements.

UPlay, at least as a stand-alone service, still seems lovely, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

I don't care that the gift was redeemed, I just want to know what this gif is from.

Edit: VVVV No lie I would buy the poo poo out of a game that emulated insane Japanese game shows.

Hellburger99 fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jul 19, 2014

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

Technetium posted:

Also Mass Effect 3 is good.

ME3 multiplayer is still good and is still worth the $15 you'd have to pay to play it for a month on Xbox Live or whatever. Origin might not be as good as Steam, but it's a lot better than it was a year ago this time. The community still seems super active, too. I've been playing for the past week or so and I've never had trouble finding a full party.

Also, we will probably never see a collected edition of all the DLC. They never made one for ME2 and even the trilogy edition doesn't come with any of it. Bioware is making too much money selling it all separate for their Bioware funbucks.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

Technetium posted:

I actually had ME3 for 360 and kept thinking I should get it for PC just for multiplayer but had no idea how active the playerbase was. Legitimate thanks for this.

It's weird playing it with K+M instead of a controller, but you get used to it pretty fast. Or you can use Joy2Key if you have the patients to figure that poo poo out.

And add me on Origin: HellburgerSA.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

Technetium posted:

I dont have the cash for it right now but it goes on sale p often, I'll probably get it. Doesn't it have native controller support?

No, and there are some bizarre, rambling interviews with the devs explaining why (pretty much, they didn't want to). Honestly, though, it's not bad with K+M and you can rebind buttons in game.

Crappy Jack posted:

Nope, none of the Mass Effect games have any controller support on PC. Which is stupid as hell. Every time I get all pumped up to play through the series in glorious High Def, I stop myself when I realize that I can't do it just chilling out on my couch with a controller the way Shepard intended, even though Bioware very obviously has the data needed to put it in.

I thought ME2 had controller support for PC?

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

Phenotype posted:

What is the best game on Steam that is like Final Fantasy Tactics? I just played XCOM - thanks for the recommendation, by the way - but I'm in the mood for something more RPG-esque, something I can relax with after work and not worry about clicking things quickly.

I'll second the recommendation for Shadowrun Returns. The base campaign is a little too linear for some people, but I found it to be a pretty nice introduction to the setting. I'm currently running through the expansion and while I still like the base game, the expansion does improve upon it in virtually every way. They were on sale on the Humble Store recently, and they go on sale fairly often now.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"
How exactly am I supposed to download Defiance from Steam? There's no download or install button and the only buy options are for DLC.

Or am I better off not even playing it for free?

Edit: Actually, I found this: http://steamdb.info/app/224600/

It appears to be working. If it doesn't, I'll probably just play something else.

Hellburger99 fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 23, 2014

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

The Kins posted:

Hey! Remember how EA gave the "Ultimate Edition" of The Sims 2 away to everyone who owned some other digital version of the game?

Well now they're giving it away to everyone for free until the end of the month, presumably to stop people from bugging Origin support to add their decade old retail keys to their account.

To get it, crack open Origin and redeem the CD-key I-LOVE-THE-SIMS before 10AM PDT on July 31st.

Quoting this because this is a hell of a deal right here! And from what I can tell it's all 18 expansions, too!

Also chiming in to say that Origin is not that bad right now. It's another password to remember, but otherwise it's perfectly fine at what it does. Plus the free games every so often are a nice bonus.

Edit: If you actually want to play the Sims 2, you are a fool for not grabbing it on Origin for free. General EA fuckery aside, Origin isn't going to put viruses on your computer or anything and it's a good deal better than it was a year ago. And I'm saying this as someone who only uses it for Mass Effect 3 and now Sims 2.

Hellburger99 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 24, 2014

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

Crabtree posted:

I want to see this actually kill people and Ubisoft to desperately try to not act like they're profiting off someone's life.

I very much doubt they'll take the winner high enough to be in that much danger. The contest is to play "on Everest", not "at the peak of Everest."

This contest is still dumb as poo poo, though.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

Dementropy posted:

Not entirely Steam related, but I was just cleaning out my spam folder and received an email from Bioware which linked to this video.

The video led to a sparse (and crappy) site.

Does anyone know about an upcoming game called either Nightmare or You've Been Chosen? I can't see Bioware pulling off survival horror, so I'm guessing it has to be something more than just that. Than again - Bioware. It could very well be overpriced survival horror with the option of being able to romance Slenderman party members.

Apparently it's something called Shadow Realms: http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/dragon_age_inquisition/news/bioware_teasing_new_ip_reveal_for_gamescom.html

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

Tezzeract posted:

It's a good free substitute - the wave based combat is passable. But yeah ME3 multiplayer is in a league of its own.

Warframe was far too floaty for my liking, but I think it was still in "beta" or "EA" or whatever the last time I tried it. The best replacement for ME3 multiplayer out there is this

Seriously, Origin isn't that awful and you can just run the shortcut through Steam if you absolutely need to have everything go through Steam. And it seems to go on sale on Origin/Greenman Games often for like $5, and you can't tell me ME3 multiplayer ain't worth $5.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

homewrecker posted:

Are there any good First/Third Person Shooters that have really unique and interesting enemy designs? I started playing XCOM - The Bureau and while it seems okay so far, it makes me sad that we ended up with the same kind of humanoid enemies from the other XCOM games as opposed to getting what they showed off in the 2010 version of the game when it was more of a horror FPS (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdVb4UnqO7A ).

Deadspace 1 & 2 are both really good and have excellent monster design (only played 10 mins of 3 so I can't really comment on it).

I'll echo Drifter that Binary Domain is pretty drat cool, but Doom 3 hasn't aged very well, especially if you're looking for a "Doom-style" game; it's more of a scary version of Half-Life than a run-and-gun FPS.

It also looks ugly as sin, even with the BFG edition "upgrade".

Oh, it's not a shooter, but Zeno Clash is a first person brawler that has some really imaginative character/setting design.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

MGN001 posted:

Are there any games like MGR, DMC, or Bayonetta that you guys recommend?

The combat's not nearly as deep and it only takes about 4-5 hours to beat, but Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death is pretty good.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

Lowness 72 posted:

I don't get it.

Also Heavy Metal is a great movie. I found the sequel in a truck stop in the middle of Arizona but haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

You should keep it that way. Remember Heavy Metal as the awesome film that it was and never let Heavy Metal 2 sully your memories.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

PantsBandit posted:

So I did the very beginning of Binary Domain tonight. My only real comment so far is that it seems like the mic picks up every little noise. I constantly hear Bo go "What? Huh? Can't talk right now!" even though I turned the threshold way up. I'm using a headset btw. Not sure what that's about.

It is a feature that would be awesome if it weren't, sadly, broken. Fortunately, it's more of an immerse feature than a necessary one. Just turn it off and give button-based commands the old fashioned way and enjoy.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

Orv posted:

So if you've played Sacred 2, or any ARPG really, think about what defines the experiences of that genre for you. Randomized, awesome loot. A character progression system through both loot and skill upgrades. Many different play experiences with each of the different classes in a game. A fair amount of (within a somewhat linear framework) exploratory freedom.

Now remove all of that.

Man, even Dungeon Siege 3 had those things. I mean they were all terribly boring, but at least they were there!

Edit: Apparently I missed a whole page of other people also slagging on DS3 and now I feel late to the party and a little bad for Dungeon Siege 3. :ohdear:

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

nodadchad posted:

I am really enjoying Zombies Monsters Robots. Co-op action games are one of my favorite types and the only online multiplayer I can get into. It is very similar to games like God Mode, Gears of War (same dev team) and Warframe. I have not played the PvP yet and doubt I ever will but the PvE is super robust with four very distinct modes.

The movement is a little clunkier than most modern games but it is part of the mechanics. People are bitching about the weapon rental system, but honestly it doesn't bother me. You make enough Gold completing missions and objectives to keep a steady arsenal. The costumes and other flair items that can be purchased with real money are ridiculously overpriced though.

The game has a internal clan system if anyone is up for some slaughtering add me -> http://steamcommunity.com/id/bottled_water/

Fair warning, there are some major ping issues at the moment. For me, this has just meant an occasional 1 minute stretch where I am jumping all over the place. Developers have acknowledged and rectifying the problem. Hopefully soon. Other than that matchmaking has been very smooth and I have not had any trouble getting into a game.

I've been looking for a PC game with something similar to GoW co-op for years. I'm kind of sick of all these zombie titles, but I'll give this a shot at least and see if I can get past it's seemingly "lol so wacky" marketing. The price is right, at least.

Edit: Does it have controller support at all?

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

Drifter posted:

Blackguards is an absolutely awful game. Boring Boring Boring, bad bad bad. The writing is terrible and gameplay pretty basic. I wouldn't buy it if it's the only reason to get the 6$ tier.

Well poo poo, of course I read this afterwards. Oh well, I mostly grabbed it so I can send Euro Truck to my wife.

revdrkevind posted:

Diablo 2? Halo 2/3?

The whole "pay more for the real ending" thing has been around for a long time. I agree it hasn't seen a rebirth into the microtransactions world proper, but it would not really be new.

I'll see you on Halo 2/3, but Diablo 2's ending had an actual final boss and closed out the story of Diablo's journey to free his brothers.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"
Oh man what am I going to do with all these Insurgency keys? https://www.humblebundle.com/?gift=84c8KFMheRc2u6Yx

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

Devil Wears Wings posted:

SH4 may be my favorite of the series but it's seriously flawed in parts. Definitely worth a play though. Too bad Shattered Memories is confined to the Wii of all things.

Homecoming is just poo poo and I haven't really paid attention to Downpour.

Shattered Memories was on PS2, also (and the PSP, I think), but it did play the best on Wii just because of the wiimote=flashlight/cellphone gimmick.

Shattered Memories is probably not a "good game", but I found it to be really atmospheric and I really enjoyed my time with it.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

Rookersh posted:

Haha, thanks to all those who decided to come check out my Dungeon of the Endless stream.

Stupid loving ignore Stele, I was SO CLOSE to unlocking Elise. And I had so much wit between her/Max, I could have gotten that run far had I found a runner. Auuugh, next time I guess.

I only watched a bit, but you got me interested in it. Was it already on sale along with Endless Legend, or is 33% as low as it's been/going to go this sale?

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

Asmodai_00 posted:

Are you talking about the Long War mod? It's that good?

Personally I don't like Long War that much. I enjoy the new customization options and the map variations and the ability to retake lost countries, but the new classes and weapons feel too bloated to me, like they just there so you can perfectly min/max everything. That's really cool for people who like that, but I thought the base game and expansion were just complex enough for my liking.

Rookersh posted:

It was already on sale for a whole bunch cheaper the day before the sale, and then again when Endless Legend went on sale.

It may come back for the end of day repeat sale though? Either way, I'll probably start streaming runs over the next few days just to get people to check it out and get some ( terrible bad ) Easy strategies. I can reliably hit floor 8-10 on Too Easy now, so I'm basically banging my head against the Easy wall, trying to get a run mobilized and moving forward. So far my biggest bane seems to be those ignore steles, as I build my runs around heavy firepower/chokepoints with runners drawing everything back into a killzone. Becomes a bit of a problem when the enemy mobs ignore the killzone and just wander through it though. :v:

I'd be down for setting up some goon runs on my days off if anyone is interested. I'll ease people in with Too Easy and move up from there when people get a few more heroes under their belts. Only problem is multiplayer doesn't have saves yet, so as the host I'll need to stick around for the whole thing ( other people can drop out when their hero dies/they need to go to work and the rest of us can take over for them. But on those first 3-4 floors they can grab a few new heroes for their game and unlock them. ). So yeah, days off runs only. If we do end up getting 4 interested people at a time, it'll keep people from getting new heroes, but it'll still be useful to show people good strategies they can take forward into their single player games, even with the basic hero setup.

I'll probably write up a strategy post if enough people end up getting the game/are interested in such a thing.

e: e: and i'm off to work! that was a lot of fun, although it made me realize too easy is a bit too easy for me now. i have 3 high wit heroes, a bunch of wit boosting items, and almost everything unlocked at this point. outside of a really bad level layout, i'm not sure anything going forward can hurt me. either way, i'll be jumping back in at the end of the day to finish it off.

I think I might grab it now anyway. I'd rather have it to play on my time off than wait until it (maybe) goes on sale again just to save $2. Is the crystal version worth it for the extra character and dungeon mode?

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

Riso posted:

I dont care how good Origin is, I want to avoid a stupid Steam->Origin->Steam loop like Uplay does.

I got Burnout in some bundle, and I don't remember having to install Origin to play it. You have to make an EA account if you want something or other, but you can skip it without it affecting the game in any noticeable way.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'd say PC so you can get rid of the loving letterboxing and get it running in 60fps.

I'd say PS4 because who in the gently caress has 4 gigs of video card RAM?!

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, I absolutely loved SoM and I'd recommend it in a heartbeat (especially at under $30), but this is entirely true. The game is pretty easy on the whole and you don't get to see the really interesting stuff unless you purposefully limit yourself and make it happen. The coolest things that happened in my game mostly happened because I put myself in ridiculous situations where I had to run, or because I purposefully let an Orc that I liked get away a bunch of times. Even high-level captains never get all that scary.

To anyone interested in Shadow of Mordor: Shadow of Mordor really shines if you just play it as an orc politics simulator and pit orcs against each other constantly. I found the story to be surprisingly alright, considering all the trailers made it look like it was going to take a huge dump on the source material, but the story itself is better seen as a distraction to orc murder/promotion.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

bowmore posted:

Best Co-Op Games?

Orcs Must Die 2 if you don't already have it. I think it was a flash sale earlier, so it should be a daily soon.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

Justin_Brett posted:

I already beat the game on easy, it's not like I had any choice.

Now I'm just trying to maybe unlock the other variant of the Kestrel, but oops, the achievements for that are luck-based too. I had a pretty good run going, or at least I thought, and then guys with three shields showed up when I didn't have a piercing weapon.

I should probably just stop playing the game, but everyone says it's so good, and I haven't even seen 10 percent of the ships and stuff.

I only play on easy. Are you constantly pausing? Because you should. If you want, you can watch me stream it and I can show you a few pointers, but if you're getting frustrated, probably best to put it on the shelf for a while. Just remember that they game isn't necessarily intended to be beaten every single time.

Add me if you haven't already: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hellburger99/

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

The Steak Justice posted:

I've never played Baldur's Gate. Should I spend the money on Divinity not knowing if I'm going to like it at all, or just go the safer route of Dragonfall being a lot cheaper?

e: I'm not implying that they're similar or anything those are just what I'm torn between right now.

I say grab Dragonfall now and wait for Divinity to drop even lower.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

Speedball posted:

Gunpoint is five bucks.

Someone sell me on it.

There's a demo on Steam (or at least used to be) so you can try it out for yourself.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

tithin posted:

So is Darkest Dungeon a dungeon crawler like Etrian Odyssey, or otherwise?

Difficulty-wise I'd say it's quite a bit like Etrian Odyseey. You don't have to build your own map, but they hero recruitment is very similar and heals (while not as useless as I originally thought) are downplayed a lot compared to other party-based RPGs. Watch some videos and if it looks like your thing grab it. And if you're on the fence, wait a little bit because it's in EA for ~6 more months.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

Drifter posted:

But is the music at least good again?

Very much so.

And I like HLM2 more and more as I play it, though the Hawaii flashback levels are complete bullshit.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

New Concept Hole posted:

Spec Ops: The Line is the the most well-made video game expression of those essays I had to write in high school about subjects I didn't give a poo poo about, so I'd write them as contrary and smug as possible because I thought I was so clever for subverting their expectations about what they expected the essay to say.

Those essays were all terrible and I was embarrassed when I discovered them later on.

Swap out "Spec Ops" for "Bioshock Infinite" and I'd agree with every word here.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

Shima Honnou posted:

Isn't the blue woman supposed to be like the her race version of a teenager or whatever, but in a mature body? I can't remember anymore.

She's like 150 years old but that's like 17 in her people's years and she's never been away from home or been attracted to anyone before but she's hot for her commanding officer (you).

So yeah, anime as gently caress.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

Jolo posted:

If another Batman game is ever developed, I wonder if that developer will remember that Batman had an enemy named the Joker and feature him in their new Batman game. Maybe they could put the Joker in the opening credits to alleviate the player's fears that he might not be in the game at any point.

The Joker is actually really good in the new game and really the only part of the story that's worth a drat. It's really the only part of the story that makes sense, and that's even considering it feels like it was added near the end of production.

Fake Edit: Almost forgot, The Riddler is equally amazing.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

prussian advisor posted:

Is Plague Inc more or less feature-complete at this point, the singleplayer at least? The game seems extremely popular and well-reviewed, there's hordes of mods and guides up, it has over a hundred achievements and playing cards, and seems to have been in Early Access for more than a year and a half. I've wanted to play it for a really long time but I don't like playing incomplete games.

Don't know about the Steam version, but the iOS version was $1 and all the microtransactions just gave you all the diseases from the get-go instead of unlocking them as you played. Oh and I think there were some challenge mode DLC options, but nothing that you really needed to have. Unless they completely botched the Steam release, I thought the iOS version was a drat good game and a steal at $1.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

spudsbuckley posted:

I'm not reading every single post but the couple of times i have seen it mentioned it's been "Gee shucks, pity about the awful servers. Oh well, let me write paragraph upon paragraph to tell you about a thing i did that could be achieved in any number of other open world games. Also, here's a terrible fan theory to make an excuse for a lovely game mechanic that someone brought up earlier"

I like the MGS series and played and enjoyed all the other games and really liked Ground Zeros because of the tight focus due to there being a relatively small well-crafted area to work in.

Phantom Pain is just a bloated, repetitive, tour-de-force in shonky game design.

Not sure what part of MGS is shonky game design aside from all the clearly tacked-on multiplay/microtransaction/daily reward bullshit that I'm sure was forced on them by Konami. Most of the criticisms of gameplay I'm seeing on line are outrage that it isn't just "walk down this 5 minute hallway to trigger an hour long cutscene about technobabble" like MGS4 was.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

Edmond Dantes posted:

You mean also play Shadow of Mordor, also known as Orc Politics Simulator 2015.

Shadow of Mordor is a great game, even if you ignore the story and just run around building up badass orcs to fight against you/themselves. The story isn't even that bad, and is actually more respectful to the source material than the awful Hobbit films.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

-Blackadder- posted:

I never got around to playing any of the STALKER games. How are they? The last one, Priayapat got the best reviews on Steam, I'm not a completionist so can I just play that or is there a reason to get all three?

Priayapat is the most user friendly, but I found Shadow to have the most interesting story and mods added in most of Priayapat's quality of life features. I think all three are worth playing through in order, but then again I also only paid like $2 for Clear Sky (and yeah, it is the weakest of the three).

I say go with Shadow, and if you like it, grab the others next Steam sale.

Oh, and be sure to grab Shadow of Chernobyl Complete 2009 (or something like that) mod. It repairs a lot of broken content, makes it look nicer than the vanilla release, doesn't "ruin" any of the story, etc. It's good for a first-time player.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

sauer kraut posted:

Which of the 4 DoW1 games do you need to install? For singleplayer campaigns only.
The bundle vomited stuff like Dark Crusade, Soulstorm and Winter Assault over my account, and I'm :confused:

Dark Crusade is what you want. It's a Risk-esque campaign where you choose a race and try to wipe out all the other armies. DoW and Winter Assault are more your traditional StarCraft linear campaigns and I never touched Soulstorm because I heard that it was garbage, even if you like the Dark Eldar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"
In case anyone else has been waiting like me, Wolfenstein The New Order is at 85% off on GreenMan Gaming right now, with a bonus code that brings it down to $7 and some change. I missed the last big sale and all the current Doom reboot hype has me wanting to play an old-school shooter. I've heard great things about it, but I figure even if it's crap I can't go wrong at the cost of a cheeseburger. Looks like Rocket League and Metro 2033 Redux are also part of the sale at 40% and 75% off, respectively.

• Locked thread