Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
Hi so I'm making this dumb game called Wyv and Keep, where you play as a pair of treasure hunters that solve a bunch of puzzles that are between them and a pile of treasure.

It looks like this:

We're getting ready to release it on Steam in the next couple of weeks, because we managed to somehow convince a bunch of people that our tripe was good enough to be sold alongside quality entertainment products such as Secret of the Magic Crystals and Farming Simulator, and so I've been hard at work playing warhammer trying to make the online multiplayer actually work properly and not be an embarrassing joke, because there's nothing quite like having 3 million people witness your failure at programming a videogame.

So anyway I need people to help break my lovely code. If you post in this thread I'll PM (or email) you a Steam code for Wyv and Keep, as long as you promise to post here and tell me why it sucks.
Or don't promise, whatever, i'll give you one anyway.

edit: game's released, no more freebies sorry goons. Thanks for helping!

Texmo fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Luisfe posted:

Will the Desura version get steam keys eventually? Just curious.

Yeah we're planning on having Steam parity for anyone who already owns it from somewhere else, so long as we can figure out how to actually give people a key.

edit: sent to everyone above

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

glomkettle posted:

Can I still play this game and call it bad if I don't have PMs?

Yeah but you'll have to figure out how I can give you a key without posting one here and having some lurker grab it before your eyes.
Some sort of electronic mail might work but I don't know of anything like that

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

ok sent, get that poo poo out of your post before your inbox is clogged up with penis pills

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I will test your game and share impressions/bugs! Does it have couch co-op?

yeah; either single-keyboard (best with re-binding P1's keys to Up Down Left Right) or two xbox controllers

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

nftyw posted:

Why is this image not in the OP?

e: Also for whatever reason steam is telling me that the product code is a duplicate?

1: Because I am a dumbass and broke the map editor and don't want to fix it until I can add steam workshop and stuff into it, and that website really does need an update doesn't it?

2: Because I am a dumbass and probably sent you the same code as I sent to someone else so hang on

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

glomkettle posted:

I'm only slightly disappointed by the lack of penis pill emails.

will get on that asap

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Running out of keys pretty fast here, and Steamworks is taking it's sweet time to generate more. There's like ten left, so anyone posts after that may have to wait a few hours or something.
nevermind, they're ready now

Texmo fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 19, 2014

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

nftyw posted:

Posting this in the hopes that I grow a brain right afterwards and solve it.

That usually happens to me when I ask for help with something, but in case it doesn't, players aren't crushed by boxes and you can push them over their heads.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Spiderdrake posted:

I'd love a key but I don't think I'd actually get anywhere to be of any use.

I like how it looks though, how does the coop work?

Well tough poo poo, you're getting one anyway.

Co-op is either local same-keyboard (or two controllers) drop in at any time, or online.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

AuxPriest posted:

Sure lets do it.

Who doesn't like dumb puzzle games??

Edit: Oh poo poo this is co-op? Is it possible to get two, would like to play it with my girlfriend.

yup, check your messages again

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Save Russian Jews posted:

Hitler was a not good man

http://www.clickhole.com/video/video-seems-silly-it-makes-good-point-264

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

voltron lion force posted:

I played the game for about an hour just now and I liked it. The art is well done and the sprites are cute and its cool how you get different dialog when you read the notes with either character. Still early, but the puzzles seem to be easing me in well enough. One thing is I got a stuck on 2-4 for a bit because I didn't get that bombs can also be used as platforms. I dunno maybe throw a note in there about that. Also, please switch the jump and swap character buttons as my finely honed gamer reflexes constantly make me press space to jump. I will probably play more tomorrow and give me further impressions. Thanks for the code btw.

Check the options menu, you can customize the keys.
Also, thanks for the feedback :)

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

blakelmenakle posted:

There seems to be an issue with the secret level in Earheart's Alcove (1-8). After beating the secret level (1-S), the next level number doesn't reset, so the game thinks I'm still in the secret level even with the new level loaded. When I restart the level, it takes me back to the secret level and when I beat the new level, it just reloads it from the beginning when I try to continue.

Hitting restart after entering the secret level brings me back to 1-8 after completing the secret level; hitting continue takes me to 1-9 after, but the bug occurs either way.

nftyw posted:

I had a weird bug where after dying in stage 1-S over and over and then finally completing it with as much loot as I could get away with, the next stage 1-9 was listed as 1-S and completing it just started the stage over again. I had to get out of there to the world map to make things better.

Dammit I thought I'd fixed that secret crap. Thanks for the heads up.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

nftyw posted:

Also it is kinda funny to see Wyv start going into his idle pose and have tears gushing from nowhere when Keep got speared. More of a small time graphical bug though.

I should probably take this out, but I don't really want to, because funny.

Ryuga Death posted:

I'm playing the game with a 360 pad, but the controls for the keyboard show up for the tutorial tips. Is that normal?

Yes, and it's mostly because I'm lazy. That's something we really ought to have though, so will probably add it in sometime soon.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Klaus Kinski posted:

Is your game a good game to play drunk?

Probably not, unless you've got a buddy drinking with you and you can yell at each other for screwing up, but why not find out anyway?

Bieeardo posted:

I heard there was poop in this game.

There is, if you suck badly enough at a level you get a crap rating.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

nftyw posted:

Oh, it happened again. I beat 2-S by mistake and selected "restart" and it moved onto the next level while still thinking it's stage 2-S.

I think I've fixed this; just pushed an update to Steam, so either it'll show up on it's own in the next hour or so, or you can restart steam to get it now.
Of course, having done this, I'm sure I'll have just broken ten other things in the process, becuase 'pro' gramming.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Shlapintogan posted:

Played for a little bit. The game is very fun, but man, these time ratings are harsh. I feel like I'm speeding through levels and still end up with a silver or stone rating. I guess I'll have to try harder!

I did have to spend a bit of time remapping the controls because I found out that mapping something to a key that's already bound to something else doesn't swap the key, so say if you bind one character's movement to D, and the other character's movement is already bound to that, you'll end up moving both characters at the same time. It'd probably be a good idea to have the game check if a key is already bound, and if it is, swap it with the key you want to bind to an action so that you don't accidentally end up with multiple actions bound to one key. I'd also put all of the controls under one menu with headers to separate them so you can see all of your controls at once.

Haven't run into any bugs just yet, but if I run into that secret level bug, I'll post about it here.

That's a good point actually; I'll do something about that later on if I can figure out how to make it straightforward.
And you're right about the brutal par times, I think i'll have a word to Beau (our puzzle designer) about those.

nftyw posted:

Hmm maybe you should add some details in tutorial pages on some of these stages, maybe have that explorer dude write about his assistant who he uses to shove the box over. Also same with the dynamite in 2-4 since you use it in such a unorthodox way there.

You've got a point there, and while I'm opposed to taking the modern game rout and telling the player how to solve the puzzles (thereby removing all satisfaction), it's not immediately obvious that they can be used like that, so... we'll figure something out :)

Texmo fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 19, 2014

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Damascus404 posted:

I have absolutely no idea what this game is about or what it could be about but I sure do love me some free poo poo and needlessly nitpicking game design that was otherwise seen as a pretty good idea. Sign me the gently caress up.

Shiny Llama posted:

I will gladly let you know how potentially awful/greasy this thing you made is. Yes.

You two are gonna need to provide me some contact email address then because you haven't coughed up the :10bux: for PM's
edit: sent one to you, Damascus

Texmo fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 19, 2014

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

nftyw posted:

Yeah, its apparantly a bug with the secret level code. I presume he wants you to only have one go at the stage which is a horrible idea because they are harder than diamond-encrusted dinosaur poo poo.

No you're supposed to be able to retry them, I'm just a lovely coder (see OP) and so they do some bogus stuff sometimes always.

Texmo fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 19, 2014

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

duckfarts posted:

I think I have this from a bundle, does that have a steam key now? Otherwise I'd be happy to break your poo poo.

not yet, 'cause it's not officially released on steam yet, but since goons are cool they get to be in the secret club where I give them free stuff and they tell me it's horrible.
You'll eventually get another copy to play with a friend or something I guess.

Texmo fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 19, 2014

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Kaubocks posted:

Hey so I actually am currently doing QA for a living and wouldn't mind futzing around with your game for a bit. Some other friends of mine are also making a video game and I managed to break it so bad it wouldn't even launch anymore and it took a couple of days to fix. One of my buddies (who also did QA for a while) apparently already got a code from you so we'd be able to test out multiplayer!

The catch I am currently working a ton of overtime on my current project and probably would only have time for your game for a little bit during the weekends, if that's ok with you.

Make sure he's got a steam code - any of the versions elsewhere are heinously out of date because I'm a pro slacker. If he doesn't, I'll send you another one.
Also this is mostly a free-poo poo-for-goons thing, since lurking SA has provided me with many years of entertainment. Any bug reports are a bonus, so don't feel pressured or anything.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

NotALizardman posted:

Hm. I'll play your game and try to break it, sure.

gonna need some contact deets for that code
edit: too quick for me. sent.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

wuat posted:

i got to 1-2 before deciding the controls sucked and the main dude should be on wasd
also controlling two dudes seems like its a pain in the rear end sorry bye

you can change the controls to whatever but ok thanks for playing

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

wuat posted:

it seems really awkward by default especially if you're playing two person on the same computer
they pretty much have to be sitting on your lap with your arm woven under theirs to press the buttons at the same time (left control & shift)

The defaults used to be WSAD and Arrow Keys, and I still use those because they're easier to double-control with, but lots of people didn't like that for online/singleplayer.
I should probably make it more obvious that you can change the controls though, huh?

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

wuat posted:

I didn't realize you could until you told me because there's no settings page on the main menu and didn't pay attention enough to look at the escape menu.

Yeah thanks for calling me on that, I'm gonna do something to make it more obvious.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Okay there's a new build up on Steam; I've added in xbox button prompts and some stuff telling you about changing controls in the pause menu, thanks for the suggestions.

Also, yeah, the secret levels are intended to be insane hard challenge levels. Whether or not this is a good idea I don't know, but it's something.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I would definitely put Options on the main menu, even if you don't want anything but the control-changing in there. Can't speak for anyone else, but it's usually the first thing I do when I open a new game.

Gonna do this, because you're right and it's a good idea and i'm just lazy. It'll take a while to do though so probably won't see it today.

StriderVM posted:

Although I do not intentionally break games, I tend to take notice of odd things happening in games and will report if something wierd happens, intentional or not. So I would appreciate a copy of some sort to test out.

Also sadly, I do not have PM as well. :(

gonna need an email or something then dude

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Unlucky7 posted:

Forgive me if this is minor at best, but there is an early game tutorial message that comes up that instructs you on how to restart if stuck. It first tells you to press start, but afterwords there is no message (That I have seen) that appears to instruct to select restart. Anyone who has ever played a game would know how to do this implicitly, yes, but it jumped out at me.

Good point; small oversight there. I've changed the text to say more or less "open menu and choose restart to try again". Cheers!

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Just figure I should post and say that I am still handing these out, just busy doing bug fixings and periodically checking the thread.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Jordan7hm posted:

I'd like to give it a shot and post back with results.

Online multiplayer is broke but I assume local works?

Online multiplayer -should- work, i've been doing a lot of fixins there.
So, in other words, it will probably fail spectacularly if anyone so much as sneezes on it.

Heatwizard posted:

On 3-6 I had the girl pick up the journal page, and she had an extended discussion with herself; both sets of dialogue bubbles pointed to her, whilst the guy frantically flailed and changed expression in the background.

In a game that begins and ends at the ability to push blocks, and pushing a block incorrectly can kill you, I feel like there should be a dedicated 'push block' button instead of the 'gently graze the side and condemn yourself to restarting' method.

Interesting about 3-6, I'll look into that - thanks!

I kinda feel that having to press a button every time you push something would make the game really cumbersome to play.
There's a good half-second you need to be shoving a box before it'll move, which I figured was enough leeway :shrug:

edit: okay I am going to sleep now, I'll fulfill any new code requests after I wake up.

Texmo fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 19, 2014

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

ok I'm awake again, and sent out keys to (I think) everyone in who's posted so far.

Thanks for the bug reports guys; I've noted them all down and gonna do what I can about 'em.
Has anyone been trying the online multiplayer at all?

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Thanks! You sent me two, do you want one back or should I post it here or something?

I will do my best to break your game

Looks like I just sent the same key twice, so keep it I'd say

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Papercut posted:

2-7 doesn't require any pixel perfect jumping. Here's my solution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkC_1K9BC4I

Skip about 20 seconds in if you don't want to see me die carelessly.

You're not actually supposed to be able to push boxes from on someone's head ._.

but, if you pushed that one that landed on wyv's head to the left, you could concievably drop another one down to put on the button :parrot:

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

nftyw posted:

I'm not sure how the multiplayer online thingy is supposed to work. Is it something you're still warhammering out the details with for the Steamworks version or whatever?

Naw, you just go into online and start a game with someone else if there's anyone around. Steamworks is for the map editor, where there'll be cloud saving/sharing of maps.
Most likely you'd have to organize a game with someone, and although there is text chat, something like skype or ventrilo is a much better tool for arguing with your partner and calling them a moron.

Texmo fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jul 20, 2014

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

craig588 posted:

The new patch fixed the full screen issue I was having.

Glad to hear it :)

RedLobster posted:

I attempt to start the game from steam and it completely freezes steam up and I can't quit the program through processes because it doesn't show up there.

Uh, poo poo, that's pretty not-good. Could you check the game's folder and if there's an error.log then PM me its' contents?

Phenotype posted:

Here are my impressions from booting this thing up:

:words:

I'm definitely going to let those two know that their names are dumb. Probably won't change the difficulty though; it gets hard enough to compensate later on, don't worry. Also, the music should have changed once you get to world 2?

Thanks (still) for the impressions, I'm not posting tons, but I am following and reading stuff; this stuff is really helpful :)

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Okay, dished out codes to all posters ( edit: except for the two of you who posted inbetween when I loaded the thread and when I sent out keys, who now also should have one ) and noted the bugs - thanks everyone, keep 'em coming!
Let me know if I've missed anyone.

We've settled on August 1st as our release date, so I'll be handing out codes to goons that want them until then.

Texmo fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 22, 2014

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

These are good advice! Can't promise I'll get to all of them, but I've made a note of this stuff, thank you!

Delizin posted:

Okay, finished my first play session. Made it to somewhere in zone 5 I think. Past all the lava and stuff. The game was fun and challenging at times. However I did manage to break it after quitting and trying to continue from my savegame. I was sent back to level 2-1 and ended up with this:

If you want I can email you the save file or something.

Some other things I can nitpick about :

- Typo in female dialog when reading the note on level 4-2. Weild instead of Wield.
- Game locked up on me when I tried changing the controls using an xbox controller. Had to alt-f4 to close it down and reopen it.

Overall you did not do a bad job. It kind of reminded me of Lost Vikings.

Oh crap, that's... quite bad, really.
You can edit your save file to hack your way back to where you were, though also checking save.sav.old might be an idea.
I think perhaps saving games in a separate thread is a bad idea and I'm going to stop doing it.
Did you quit through the menu, or just hit X to close the game? That might have something to do with it (although it shouldn't), and would be helpful to know.
Really sorry about that, and incredibly glad you caught it - you may have saved thousands from the same fate :)

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Griefor posted:

When first booting it up the main menu cursor was at continue, which was not disabled so I chose that and kept mashing confirm to get into the game. I later found out that this somehow started me at level 2-1. I had some trouble figuring out 2-4, first because I didn't know what I could do with a bomb (no jumping and your guy is 2 squares tall, so you can't fit through 1 square holes). It took me a while to figure out that you can use a character holding a bomb as a 2 square plateau to push blocks over, that wasn't clear to me - and you can't really play around to much with a character holding a bomb because if you leave them for more than a few seconds they explode.

Also, with the bombs being used up and the drop that cannot be climbed back up it seems you really have to plan your solution ahead from the beginning, I usually don't plan that rigorously and it's kind of annoying if you know what you have to do from previous runs, execute it, but then find out you have to start over because you dropped both characters where you were supposed to keep one on the top level. I guess sometimes this is because an extra guy could help you skip a part of the puzzle and to make you split up, but if that is not the case for a level I'd prefer being able to climb back up.

And I'll echo the Lost Vikings vibe, moving both characters into positions where they can work together to solve a puzzle is something that I don't recall doing in a game since Lost Vikings.

whooops, it looks like I have done a stupid (again), ran the .exe from the steam build folder so it uploaded the save game I had in there.
Deleted that, thanks for spotting that!
It does seem a lot of people are having trouble with that particular walk-over-the-bomb puzzle though, might be something we can do to communicate that they can be walked over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The bonus level with the bouncy springs has some serious desync issues -- also, possibly related, the bombs at the top of the map sometimes go off by themselves. (Assuming that isn't just the result of the desync itself, I mean.)

edit: Actually we've been desyncing all night, it might just be one/both of our connections.

Could you describe a bit more about what you mean by a desync? Like if it happens with boxes being in the wrong position, existing for one person but not the other, the game not restarting/etc for one person?

nftyw posted:

Oof, I loaded up the game after not playing for awhile and it no longer had my old save. No problem, just sped through the levels until I reached the first stage where you have to cut the rope holding up some crates, I jumped on there, hit control and crashed to desktop. :ohdear:

That, I have never encountered - could you PM me the error.log? I've tried getting this to happen and haven't succeeded.

dragoat posted:

We tried it a few more times and found that even if we timed it verbally with each other I would push it onto his head and he would immediately drop down as if the block disappeared. Then I got a "waiting for partner" text, and shortly after that "partner has quit" just got overlaid without the first disappearing as shown

More or less because Crappy Netcode, which i'm working on this weekend again. Who needs a life anyway? :D

And yeah the save-being-deleted was due to me being a dumbass and playing the copy in the upload-to-steam folder, which caused it to create a save file, which Steam then uploaded and overwrote onto everyone elses and I'm really sorry about being such a moron. You can edit your save file to skip levels you've already beaten, or just run through the existing ones real fast and get good scores, idk.

• Locked thread