Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soral
May 30, 2009

even after i shamefully hijacked mabels big days thread (please post in it because that fucker is bad at games and still isnt done yet http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3651133) im not loving done with this stupid idiot gimmick so post in here and you will become a pokemon who will either die a brutal death due to my own incompetence or die of neglect inside of a computer.

im playing heart gold this time, because two times the gyms two times the murdered imps. nuzlocke rules so only 1 pokemon per zone and fainting means death. i will be limiting pokecenter uses to 1 use per boss battle, otherwise i must rely on items to heal up my guys. also continuing from my last run, all pokemon trainers and items are scrambled.

Soral posted:

please feel free to use this thread as a general purpose pokemon thread.

Soral fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soral
May 30, 2009

our starter options this time around were starly, mudkip, and gastly, so of course i went with this radical dude to comply with hog butcher's request

Soral
May 30, 2009

the randomizer patch actually changes it so trade evolution and move evolution pokemon evolve when they level, instead

Soral
May 30, 2009

our rival is named jerry (a lovely knockoff of gary) and the randomizer gave him mudkip. i was kind of hoping he would pick starly so our first battle would have just been our guys struggling at each other until oneof them went down

the randomizer patch doesnt support giving you the national dex right away in heart gold, so we will see if the game does bad things to grapplejak due to this

silver alicorn i will save your name for an eevee-ish pokemon but please dont hold it against me if i just forget

Soral
May 30, 2009

really bummed out to say that it seems trainer names and teams are not randomized, although titles still are. not sure why this is the case

Soral
May 30, 2009

oh, trainers who give you their phone numbers are not randomized, whereas all other trainers are. this is pretty weird!

Soral
May 30, 2009

yes hello here are some new pokemon for you all. some of you fuckers have really long names. stop having really long names.

gym leader falkner biker jill and the rest of his gym members all had the exact same pokemon. wynaut. please note that wynaut does not learn any offensive moves until level 15, so all they could do is encore me over and over while Omally punched their stupid faces in over and over

Soral
May 30, 2009

right after i left the gym i got this dumb egg

post now if you want to reserve the egg, or else ill just name it whatever comes up next in the list whenever it hatches. also, did some side poo poo in alf ruins instead of beelining for the next area.

i solved a gimicky slider puzzle with the touch screen when the game dumped me in here and some npc gave me a thing to keep track of the different types of unown ive caught. so i figured that the randomizer didnt shuffle unown out of the area

welp.

silver alicorn gets named after this leafeon because theres no way on earth im going to get luckier than this and find an actual espeon to name after them. also i regret to inform everyone that BlackPhara the riolu is already dead. using him was inherently risky given that his only real means of attack was to use counter, and he just got nailed by an unlucky crit. rip, blackphara

Soral
May 30, 2009

you cant name the egg :-(

Soral
May 30, 2009

just a little epic meme for you poke fans out there ;-)

i did a lot of backtracking and stuff after i picked up the old rod to catch some more guys in water in areas i skipped catching pokemon in. we have 2 starter pokemon now and also ive spotted two more in areas ive already caught someone in. the randomizer has been really generous with those guys.

the new team rocket boss is a total pussy

!

welcome to the world, baby hole boy. also iggy i swear if u die before you become a jiggly puff to make that name work i will never forgive you. ill be doing the bug gym later on. knowing the randomizer, what used to be the easiest gym ever made will be full of like dragons or some bullshit.

Soral
May 30, 2009

fronz posted:

where's mine

youre on the list

yes

Soral
May 30, 2009

no update just yet so instead ill take this time to remind everyone that the randomizer patch is very good and you should use it even for non gimmick pokemon games. you can turn off the randomizing stuff and just keep in the catch em all mode stuff and the thing that makes it so haunters evolve into gengar at level 36 or w/e instead of through trading. its really good. please use it. it works with every pokemon game prior to x and y.

Soral
May 30, 2009

yeah, ok, whatever anthony

oh jesus loving christ. and i already caught a guy here too.

jerry is a total bitch and is fielding a gastly of his own (its poo poo compared to HogButcher, who is a pro gastly)

hello frank, i caught you in a heavy ball because youre a total lard rear end. also qnqnx is one step closer to becoming the best starter in all of pokemon. if you disagree you are wrong. the cosmic turtle owns. i decided i hosed around in side areas long enough and it was time to take on the azalea gym. in the vanilla game this gym was a complete and total piece of poo poo because its filled with bug pokemon who are defeated by a stiff breeze blowing by. let's see what the randomizer does to it!

:suicide:

actually it wasnt so bad. i fielded sharrrk the seel because i know that ice is strong against dragons!

seels are not ice type. also dragons are not weak against ice. it's a one way type disadvantage.

RIP sharrrk.

the rest of the gym goes well. i backed out and did some grinding in ilex forest next door and wiped up with the help of Omally and HogButcher. heres where were at after this gym:

benched guys are Grapplejak the monferno, hole boy the grimer, HogButcher the gastly, qnqnx the grotle, Omally the hitmonchan and BoredDG the seadra

dead guys are BlackPhara the riolu and sharrrk the seel. im so sorry. current team:

eagle eyed sperglords out there may notice that Deki knows payday. lumineon should not be able to learn payday under any circumstances. i got payday in tm89, the reward that you get for beating the bug gym. tm89 normally teaches u-turn, a move that lumineon IS able to learn.

what this means is that which pokemon can use what tm is stored in the tm's number, not in the move it teaches, and the randomizer patch scrambles what move each tm teaches but not which pokemon can make use of it. i am eagerly looking forward to the moment that i teach charizard how to use hydro pump or some equally insane move/pokemon match up

Soral
May 30, 2009

sharrrk posted:

what the gently caress. dragons are totally weak against ice. what did you do to me.

edit: oh you mean ice types aren't resistant to dragons. nm sorry for failing you

yeah sorry i said that like a maroon. ice moves are super effective against dragons but dragon moves are not half damage against ice guys, unlike most other type matchups

also seel isnt even an ice type so even if it were true you still would have been murdered

e: seels evolved form is ice type

Soral
May 30, 2009

first person to not already have a guy named after them picks the pokemon and gets the name

Soral
May 30, 2009

whoops i forgot to make a post, heres a very quick one for you

i had never seen this pokemon before so i guessed it was a water type based on its appearance.

it was a psychic type.

im so sorry, frank. im so sorry.

i bought schlong the snake with my ill gotten gambling money. welcome to the team minrad, very soon you will be an hm bitch but before then i have some very big plans for you

i am about to provide catharsis to everyone who played pokemon gold or silver as a child

:getin: wheres your miltank now bicth??

Soral
May 30, 2009

yeah this seems about right. after opening this shortcut i doubled back and hosed around with the pokemon olympics

its all stupid gimmicky touch screen minigames and ill likely never play it again so a hearty congratulations to medalists fronz, Grapplejak, HogButcher and Minrad

lookin good seshoho

i found these fossils on the side of the road. first person that doesnt already have their name in the game gets to claim a fossil, second person gets the other one.

Soral
May 30, 2009

im really glad i picked up scyther and cubone because lately its been the all normal-type show

Soral
May 30, 2009

Hog Butcher posted:

wooo wooo i'm a ghost and i'm in the boxxxxx

if there are normal types i'm easy to levellll

actually youve been in my party for a while now, levelling you has been a total bitch because up until level 22 you had zero non ghost damaging moves

Soral
May 30, 2009

ok sure whatever bill

this is very much not an eevee

id like to point out that i literally have an entei in my party right now

hes still using this hogbutcher knockoff. speaking of whitch

fenrir is a dude which opens up a different evolution for him if anyone didnt know. ill be going for it because gardevoir is extremely popular and im a hipster with unique thoughts & opinions who thinks for themself

drat guys im in trouble here

drat guys. drat

this guy is the gym leader. hes kind of a shithead imo

:rip:

yeah ok whatever thanks a lot rear end in a top hat

also i didnt screenshot it but i found an old amber on the ground so first person to not ahve their name in who wants the amber can claim it

Soral
May 30, 2009

leafeon has been in my party a lot lately out of sheer determination on my part to actually use a pokemon like leafeon

Soral
May 30, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

Did soral "catch 'em all"? Is this the end of our intrepid heroes? Is a bidoof going to be the most important member of a team for the first time ever? These questions and more answered next time on "pokemon"

no no yes and god i hope not

this route is populated almost entirely by starter pokemon, the one exception being psyduck, who i caught

not included: a screenshot of NoSuchThin the psyduck dying in his third ever fight (i was holding down the fast forward button and the death scrolled past) this kind of bummed me out because i kinda like psyduck

these assholes are all talking about how there is a sick pokemon at the top of the tower but insist on standing around, doing nothing but hinder anyone who might try to climb the tower with battles with garbage pokemon go away chad

and then at the top of the tower is this shithead who refuses to gym battle you unless you literally cross an ocean to get some loving medicine for her stupid pokemon

also sid evolved twice

youve been on the list for a while now, your 6 names from the top

Coolguye posted:

Deki dying brings the body count up to what, 4?

were at 5 dead as of this post :(

Soral
May 30, 2009

also i would like to point out that we are 4 badges in out of 16 and 2 leagues and a final boss so like please chill out w/r/t being put in and also please keep posting names because at this rate i will run out of imps to put in

Soral
May 30, 2009

yea same

Soral
May 30, 2009

i backtracked here to catch a pokemon in this zone now that i can surf

holy poo poo

nasgate is now the most valuable pokemon i have ever seen, let alone caught

"the cumstains on my fursuit are part of the research."

you gently caress :argh:

well at least this happened. rip in peace boreddg but congrats fronz on becoming slightly cooler

Soral
May 30, 2009

yes

Soral
May 30, 2009

Seshoho Cian posted:

jesus gently caress
does the randomiser mess around with the shiny spawn rates or is it still the same

as i understand it, the randomizer does not touch the spawn rates of any pokemon, it simply changes which pokemon are put into which "slots" in a given area, depending on what options you selected when you patch the rom. while this may have the effect of increasing or decreasing the perceived spawn rates of specific pokemon by simply having more or fewer pokemon in the allotted slots for a given area, spawn rates are not actually effected, just the size of the pool you can draw from when entering a random encounter.

all of this spergy as gently caress information is worthless, however, as it means nothing when we talk about how frequently shinies show up, and also im using area 1:1 mapping which means the perceived spawn rates are identical in every area.

Soral
May 30, 2009

Soral posted:

as i understand it, the randomizer does not touch the spawn rates of any pokemon, it simply changes which pokemon are put into which "slots" in a given area, depending on what options you selected when you patch the rom. while this may have the effect of increasing or decreasing the perceived spawn rates of specific pokemon by simply having more or fewer pokemon in the allotted slots for a given area, spawn rates are not actually effected, just the size of the pool you can draw from when entering a random encounter.

all of this spergy as gently caress information is worthless, however, as it means nothing when we talk about how frequently shinies show up, and also im using area 1:1 mapping which means the perceived spawn rates are identical in every area.

:goonsay:

Soral
May 30, 2009

Pikachu posted:

god drat

oh hey somehow you managed to not get on my list so ill stick you right at the top to make up for making you wait to show up :shobon:

Soral
May 30, 2009

Pikachu posted:

I'm the lopunny

oh cool namechange

Soral
May 30, 2009

hello heres more caught pokemen and more beaten gyms

i have a concerning amount of bug types at this point. if i lose a bunch of dudes and have to rely on these bug guys im probably hosed

this fat gently caress has dragon types, much like the sperglord in the bug gym. im convinced that this means all the kanto gyms will also be dragon type and ill get my poo poo rocked

no deaths (surprisingly) but i had to use like 2 dozen lemonades to keep my guys from dying

yawn. this annoying shithead that had us do her grocery shopping for her had grass types and was totally dunked by our shiny ho-oh. it always bugged me that the steel-type gym gave out the mineral badge, that sounds more like something a rock type gym would give out

fauxgateau will either move on to do great things or get ruined

Soral
May 30, 2009

Fandyien posted:

ed: wait this appears to have a single purpose and is not a general pokemon thread

please feel free to use this thread as a general purpose pokemon thread.

Fandyien posted:

thanks bro. is an electric type a good counter to water?

go-to water type counters are electric and grass type

Soral
May 30, 2009

i should point out that grass types are doubly strong against water (they are resistant to water while also doing double damage) while electric types only do double damage

Soral
May 30, 2009

Soral
May 30, 2009

yes hello i played some more but i bumped into a game ending bug w/r/t the red gyarados thing so tomorrow i will try out a couple things to see if i can bypass it

Soral
May 30, 2009

qnqnx posted:

GIS it do it do it do it do it

scalded schlong posted:

its pokemon number is 34 so include that in the search

Soral
May 30, 2009

red gyarados is a pretty good shiny, im glad its the one they give you for free

oh.

youll notice that garchomp doesnt appear to be shiny here even though the red gyarados is scripted to be. the randomizer actually does correctly place a shiny pokemon in this encounter, the problem is shiny garchomp is a piece of poo poo and is basically impossible to tell apart from regular garchomp:

also, rip in peace to pikachu. i tried really hard to make you useful since lopunny is kind of not great :(

HogButcher continues to be my go-to capture guy

oh. no red scale.

yep, no red scale. ~FOR THOSE NOT IN THE KNOW~, the randomizer has robbed us of the exp share by not giving us the red scale. bummer. also, i posted earlier that i found a game breaking bug here. a quest trigger never fired leaving me stuck at this point in the game because a stairwell to the next area never opened. i played and replayed this part trying to find a way past it until i gave up and did this

:filez:

i found a tm containing sacred flame (ho-ohs signature move) and it was teachable to FauxGateau so i gave it to him :getin:

video viddy is a cutie

who the gently caress are you

this is the first lady rocket ive found so far and she has distinguished herself by having the most annoying loving pokemon on earth. paralyze + confuse is the WORST

i dont know who you are dude. actually this joke is stupid and im gay for making it. we technically never met lance because of that broken quest trigger i bypassed earlier.

team rocket has really gone downhill since giovanni left. also we get a double battle with lance on our team so we get a nice good look at his gay cape

yeah ok whatever lance. lance saying the machine is broken and deciding to leave triggered earlier than it should have because of the randomizer here. i figured i may as well kill the two remaining "electrodes" for the xp

god DAMNIT SELFDESTRUCT :argh:

also now im haunted by the ghost of lance

Soral
May 30, 2009

scalded schlong posted:

is schlong the snake still living in a box

yes. i consider letting him out of the box every time i move around my party members tho

Soral
May 30, 2009

im considering not fielding schlong the defiantly spitting anaconda ever because at this rate all the frequent posters in this thread will be dead :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soral
May 30, 2009

i hope it was worth the wait wormskull

my schlong is bigger than ever

the ice gym is full of literally rear end faced skunk pokemen

pictured: me beating up an old man and stealing his jewelry

:smug:

gently caress :(

• Locked thread