Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Rulebook
Castaways Guide

What?

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is a purely cooperative game about a bunch of castaways newly shipwrecked on an island. Sometimes it's cursed, sometimes it's a B-Movie, sometimes it's just a great big volcano, but by and large it's the job of the players to work together in exploring their new home, coming up with inventions, foraging for food and slaughtering wild beasts, and in the end escaping with their lives. Punishingly hard, it's quite possible to get absolutely wrecked your first few times through the game, especially with the badly written rulebook that doesn't exactly help you understand your priorities - and yet, get past that learning curve and it's actually a great deal of fun.

House Rules
  • For the love of god, as players, skip the official rules and just read the Castaways Guide instead! It's much more readable, I'll be taking care of the bureaucracy anyway, and the only thing it really misses out on is the fact that if you can't pay for something, you will take a wound as a result. In all other respects it's a much better document.
  • I will not pause for Determination abilities - be prepared to yell in the thread either ahead of time or afterwards if you want me to use one. Alternatively, send in COs by PMs - but since this is a purely cooperative game PMs are not exactly necessary.
  • As a pure co-op game, editing your posts is a-okay.
  • Please bold your final actions, so I can find them.
  • As this game is rather tough, I do not mind audience posts suggesting strategies or courses of action. Please be careful not to quarterback the actual players too hard, though.
Recruiting

I'd like four players. PMs are not required but may be useful. I'd like people who can at least check in daily, though I realise that deciding what to do for every player each turn might take a while. When you sign up, please also list whether you know the game or not, and your character choices in order of preference.

Signups will close in about 24 hours from now, whereupon players will be decided by random draw and assigned characters in preference order.

Characters

Soldier: Good at fightin' stuff.
  • Tracking: Discard 2 Determination to look at the top card of the Hunting deck, and then replace it on the top or bottom.
  • Defense Plan: Discard 2 Determination to increase Palisade or Weapons level by 1.
  • Frenzy: Discard 3 Determination to temporarily increase Weapons level by 3 for one action. May be used after revealing the Hunting card.
  • The Hunt: Discard 4 Determination to place the top card from the Beast deck on the Hunting deck, without looking at it.
    Life: Max----X----X---Dead
    Invention: Spear (Knife, 1 Wood: +3 Weapon Level.)
Carpenter: Good at buildin' stuff.
  • Economical Construction: Discard 2 Determination to spend 1 less Wood during any Action.
  • Craftsmanship: Discard 2 Determination to reroll 1 Building die.
  • A New Idea: Discard 3 Determination to draw 5 new Invention cards, and choose 1 to keep.
  • Handy Man: Discard 3 Determinaion to get an additional man for one Building action.
    Life: Max----X---X--X---Dead
    Invention: Snare (Rope: Place a +1 Food Token on the Camp Tile.)
Cook: Good at gatherin' stuff.
  • Grandma's Recipe: Discard 2 Determination to heal 2 Health by eating one Food.
  • Searching Talent: Discard 2 Determination to reroll 1 Gathering die.
  • Stone Soup: Discard 3 Determination to get 1 Food.
  • Hooch: Discard 3 Determination to ignore 1 Rain, or convert a Snow into a Rain.
    Life: Max---X---X--X--X--Dead
    Invention: Fireplace (Fire: During the Night Phase, gain 2 Health per food spent instead of 1.)
Explorer: Good at explorin' stuff.
  • Child of Fortune: Discard 2 Determination to reroll an Exploration die.
  • Reconnaissance: Discard 2 Determination to draw 3 Island tiles from the stack and replace 1 on top and the others on the bottom.
  • Motivational Speech: Discard 3 Determination to raise Morale one level.
  • Scouting: Discard 3 Determination to draw 2 Discovery tokens and choose 1 to play.
    Life: Max-----X-----X-Dead
    Invention: Shortcut (Map: Place a Shortcut token on a tile adjacent to your camp. During Production, gain a Resource of your choice from that tile.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The Scenario: Castaways

You are castaways on a deserted island. It is the end of summer. You have to prepare for winter, find or build shelter, and raise a roof and palisade. It will be difficult to survive during the tough months of autumn and winter; prepare well before the rainy season comes. You also need to build a large enough stockpile of wood, to ensure that any passing ship can see the smoke when you ignite it and call for help...

Goals: Build the Fire item and the woodpile. You can place any number of wood on the pile at any time, but no more than one column per round. If it is the 10th, 11th or 12th turn and these conditions are met, the players win.

Turns: 12 Turns Total. On Turn 4, Rain starts. On Turn 7, Snow and Beast Attacks start.

Scenario Inventions:
  • Mast: (Rope, Wood, Fur: +3 Wood, only for the pile.)
  • Hatchet: (Mountain, Wood: +1 Wood Token on the camp tile.)
Woodpile:
-
--
---
----
-----

Starting Map:

Stelas fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 21, 2014

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
e: nvm, count me out.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 22, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'll give it a shot.

No previous experience, no preference for character.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I've played RC before so I'll sit on the sidelines for now and let others play as I'm sure this will fill. You can put me down for a sub slot in case though.

Good thread title. I was thinking a pbp of this would go well, glad to see someone taking a crack at it!

(The dog with 3 players is so much better than Friday)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Fellis posted:

I've played RC before so I'll sit on the sidelines for now and let others play as I'm sure this will fill. You can put me down for a sub slot in case though.

Will do. At the very, very least it'll be useful to have someone around both to give general advice to the players and to rules check me. Even after playing it a few times it's hard to tell if some of the stuff we do is houseruled or not.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

I may not be very good, but I'd really like to give it a shot. I have no experience with this game, other than the knowledge that it's super-hard. I'd like to be, in order, Explorer->Carpenter->Cook->Soldier.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
You're a DMing machine, Stelas. I'll be following this so I don't feel bad when I inevitably buy the game and then never play.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
You've convinced me Stelas, sign me up as someone with zero experience in this game (though I'm an avid board game player so picking it up shouldn't be hard. I'll watch a rules guide online)

Carpenter>Explorer>Cook>Soldier

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 22, 2014

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

##sign me up if there's still room. Never played before, Cook>Carpenter>Soldier>Explorer

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
Nice, another Stelas game. I'll be watching this too. I've played a few times, so I'm also curious about how you handle the rules. The game is quite good, but the rulebook is worse than most FFG ones.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I'll watching this. I think I had better not overload myself at this time. Looks really interesting (and hard as hell).

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

PRIMER

So to go with the Castaways Guide, here's the quickest guide to the game flow I can give.

Phase 1 - Event Phase

Cards are drawn from the event deck until a Threat card is drawn, and all cards drawn take effect. A Threat card may have text to resolve upon it, but most importantly it will have a work option on it, and this will be placed in the right-most of the two threat spaces, pushing any other cards to the left. Any threat card that is pushed off to the left because of this has its fallout text take effect.

As you go through the game, Building/Gathering/Exploration cards drawn may end up in this deck, balancing out an immediate effect with later consequences - e.g. some hasty building may end up giving you a Roof bonus right now, but there's every chance it might collapse later down the line.

Phase 2 - Morale Phase

Based upon the Morale Track position, the current leader gains or loses some Determination. Morale starts at 0 - on the first turn, the first player will not gain or lose any Determination. Losing Determination when you have none to lose will cost you Health instead!

Phase 3 - Production Phase

Players receive resources based on the tile the camp is currently on. At the start of the game, the Beach contains a Wood and a Food - so the group will have 1 Wood and 1 Food to use.

Phase 4 - Action Phase

Here, players decide how they are going to use their workers. By default, each player has 2 workers. They are not restricted in what they can do - the cook can attempt to build, for instance - but certain characters do have the option of paying Determination for rerolls on certain types of task. Workers on a task also do not have to come from the same player, but one player has to take responsibility for the action. The only restriction is that you have to contribute to building your character-specific invention.

Most actions require a specific number of workers, but Crafting, Building and Exploration may have one or two workers assigned. If you only assign one worker, you roll dice to see whether you succeed, whether you take Health damage, and whether you have to draw an adventure card. Working fast is dangerous, but working slowly is likely to leave you short on resources and time.
  • Threat Cards (as noted) - assign workers to Threat cards to gain any benefit the card gives and resolve it before it is pushed off the threat track.
  • Hunting (2 workers) - as Beasts are revealed on the map, this deck populates. Killing a beast will reduce your health based upon your weapon level, possibly damage your weapons, and give you a large stock of food and furs.
  • Building (1 or 2 workers) - build a Shelter, a Roof, a Palisade, some Weapons, or an Invention. Multiple people can build different things in a single turn, provided the resources are available.
    • Shelter - Without a shelter, nights are especially harsh. Permanent once built. 4 Wood or 3 Fur.
    • Roof - Protects from bad weather. 4 Wood or 3 Fur per level.
    • Palisade - Protects from night attacks. 4 Wood or 3 Fur per level.
    • Weapons - Increases Weapon Level. 1 Wood per level.
    • Invention - Generally, gives access to both that invention and its effects. Basic inventions tend to have no effect but are prerequisites for others.
  • Gathering (1 or 2 workers) - select a resource on a tile adjacent to camp, and attempt to farm it. Success provides +1 of that resource. Multiple sources may be gathered in one turn, but only once per source.
  • Exploration (1 or 2 workers) - select a location on the map adjacent to camp, and attempt to reveal it. Success places the tile on the map and may reveal Beasts, Discovery tokens, resource sources and temporary Shelters. All basic inventions require you to find a terrain type as a prerequisite.
  • Arrange Camp (1 worker) - Gain +2 Determination, or push Morale up one level.
  • Rest (1 worker) - Recover 1 health.
At the end of the Action phase, all resources, tokens and inventions gained during it become available. You cannot build something with materials you've only just picked up that turn.

Phase 5 - Weather Phase

From turn 7 onwards, animals may attack: a dice is rolled, which may be no effect, -1 Food, -1 Palisade, or a Beast of strength 3. From turn 7 onwards, snow begins: for each snowcloud rolled, 1 Wood is discarded. From turn 4 onwards, rain begins: a dice is rolled, and the number of clouds is totalled and compared to the camp's Roof stat. For each point short, 1 Wood and 1 Food must be discarded. For each resource you're short, everyone will take 1 Health.

Phase 6 - Night Phase

Each player must eat a Food or take 2 Health. If the group have no Shelter, everyone takes 1 Health. If they wish, the group may choose to move their Camp to an adjacent tile, losing half (round down) of their Roof and Palisade levels. If they have been using a temporary Shelter on a tile, all Roof and Palisade is lost. Finally, if they have the option to, any leftover food may be used to heal up. Otherwise, all perishable Food is discarded.

Other Stuff

Determination abilities can be used once per ability per turn, whenever the player wishes. The only exception is that healing can only be done during the Night Phase.

The group have 2 Starting Items - these may be used at any time, but only have two uses total before they are removed from the game.

Generally speaking, when you cannot pay for an effect, you take one Health. If the effect required the loss of a Roof or Palisade, everyone takes the damage.

simple rite

Stelas fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 22, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

EMBARK

ActingPower is the Explorer and the first player!
CirclMastr is the Cook!
Morpheus is the Carpenter!
Jedit is the Soldier!

Your goal is to build a 15-wood stockpile in 5 columns, and the Fire, and stay alive until at least the 10th turn. If any one of you die, the players have lost.

TURN 1

Event Phase

Food Crates posted:

You notice food crates from your wreckage, scattered along the shore.

Expedition For Food: 1 worker - +1 Food. 2 workers - +1 Food, +1 Non-Perishable Food. Falloff Penalty: None.
Morale Phase - Morale is 0. No change.
Production Phase - 1 Wood and 1 Food is gained.

Action Phase

Status - Turn 1 posted:

Morale: 0
Weapon Level: 0
Shelter: No
Roof Level: 0
Palisade Level: 0
Hunting Deck: Empty
Current Player: ActingPower

Jedit - Soldier: Max----X----X---Dead - Determination: 0
Morpheus - Carpenter: Max----X---X--X---Dead - Determination: 0
CirclMastr - Cook: Max---X---X--X--X--Dead - Determination: 0
ActingPower - Explorer: Max-----X-----X-Dead - Determination: 0

Goals:

Fire: No
Woodpile: 0/15

-
--
---
----
-----

Available Resources:
  • 1 Wood, 1 Food
Usable Items:
  • Empty Bottle (2 uses left - +1 Weapon Level.)
  • Pistol (2 uses left - Temporarily gain +3 Weapon Level for one action.)
Threat Cards:
  • Expedition For Food: 1 worker - +1 Food. 2 workers - +1 Food, +1 Non-Perishable Food. Falloff Penalty: None.
  • Empty.
Inventions:
    Generic
  • Shovel: (Beach)
  • Bricks: (Hills - +1 Palisade.)
  • Cure: (Plains)
  • Dam: (River, 1 Wood - +2 Non-Perishable Food.)
  • Rope: (Plains)
  • Fire: (Mountains)
  • Knife: (Mountains - +1 Weapon Level.)
  • Map: (River - +1 Explorer worker.)
  • Pot: (Hills - Allows healing during Night Phase.)

Advanced
  • Bow: (Rope, Knife, 1 Wood - +3 Weapon Level.)
  • Pit: (Shovel, 1 Wood - During Production, roll Building Wound die. On a wound, +2 Food.)
  • Raft: (Rope, 2 Wood - +1 Gatherer worker or +1 Explorer worker.)
  • Sling: (1 Fur or 1 Wood - +2 Weapon Level.)
  • Furnace: (Brick - Ignore 1 Snow.)

Character-Specific (Character must contribute at least 1 worker, gains +2 Determination on success.)
  • Soldier - Spear: (Knife, 1 Wood - +3 Weapon Level.)
  • Carpenter - Snare: (Rope - +1 Food Token on camp tile.)
  • Chef - Fireplace: (Fire - Heal 2 health per Food in Night Phase.)
  • Explorer - Shortcut: (Map: Place a Shortcut token on a tile adjacent to your camp. During Production, gain a Resource of your choice from that tile.)

Scenario-Specific
  • Mast: (Rope, Wood, Fur - +3 Wood, only for the pile.)
  • Hatchet: (Mountain, Wood - +1 Wood Token on the camp tile.)

Everyone, decide where your two workers are going to go.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

As some advice to the players: you want to try to have a Shelter and a Roof level 1 by the end of turn 4, because otherwise rain will start to seriously sap your resources. Right now, your primary goal is food and exploration, immediately followed by wood and a shelter - or finding a temporary one to hole up in, if possible. Throw someone at the Salvage as hard as you can - you'll need it, and either some Gathering or some Determination on your Cook, to ensure no-one goes hungry this turn. Working towards permanent food increases such as the Pit or the Shortcut will be extremely important, shortly followed by the Hatchet.

Also, you might as well just double-tap the Empty Bottle now. There's no harm in having as many Weapons as you can.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 22, 2014

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So, tentatively, I'm going to Arrange Camp for a morale boost and get one use of that Empty Bottle...nothing finalized yet, but I think getting a steady flow of determination might be a good idea (also, giving a small buffer if we lose morale). Would it be a good idea to explore before we start building up a shelter?

Edit: Oh right, don't need a guy for the bottle, do you? Then how about one worker to Arrange Camp (Morale), one worker on Expedition for Food (another one would be pretty good)

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 22, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Would it be a good idea to explore before we start building up a shelter?

Yes. Bear in mind you need 4 Food a turn to feed everyone, and you can't gather from the same spot twice in a turn. Once those salvage crates are gone you're going to have to explore to find other food sources, and satisfy prereqs for inventions.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Tentatively I'm thinking of throwing one worker at Expedition for Food and the other at building the Pit. And there's no reason not to tap out the Empty Bottle.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

CirclMastr posted:

Tentatively I'm thinking of throwing one worker at Expedition for Food and the other at building the Pit. And there's no reason not to tap out the Empty Bottle.

You can't build the Pit yet - you haven't built the Shovel!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Stelas posted:

You can't build the Pit yet - you haven't built the Shovel!

Can the Shovel and the Pit both be built in one turn?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

CirclMastr posted:

Can the Shovel and the Pit both be built in one turn?

No - anything you build or gather during the action phase only comes into your available resources at the end of the phase.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Aaah! Why am I first? I have no idea what I'm doing... :( I guess, since I'm the explorer, I should go exploring, huh? Should I devote two pawns to that, or should I put one guy on the threat, or should I put two on the threat?

That's my primary concern, but I'd also like to help with inventing eventually. Not this turn, it seems to me, but for the future.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Alright, new tentative plan: 1 worker to exploration for food, 1 worker to arrange camp for 2 Determination.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

ActingPower posted:

Aaah! Why am I first? I have no idea what I'm doing... :( I guess, since I'm the explorer, I should go exploring, huh? Should I devote two pawns to that, or should I put one guy on the threat, or should I put two on the threat?

That's my primary concern, but I'd also like to help with inventing eventually. Not this turn, it seems to me, but for the future.

We need some exploration, hopefully so we can either hunt or find a natural shelter.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

CirclMastr posted:

Alright, new tentative plan: 1 worker to exploration for food, 1 worker to arrange camp for 2 Determination.

Are you supporting me, then, or are you paving your own way? Because if you're supporting me, I'll send my other guy to the threat.

EDIT: Oh, while we're on the subject, do I place both of my guys at once (either in 1 place or 2), or just one at a time?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

ActingPower posted:

Are you supporting me, then, or are you paving your own way? Because if you're supporting me, I'll send my other guy to the threat.

EDIT: Oh, while we're on the subject, do I place both of my guys at once (either in 1 place or 2), or just one at a time?

I'm supporting Morpheus, "Exploration for Food" is the threat. Don't worry about the threat.

You place both workers at the same time, on either the same task or different ones. I think you should be exploring the map.

EDIT: Ugh, it's Expedition for Food, not Exploration. No wonder it's causing confusion, it's my own drat fault.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ActingPower posted:

Sorry, I just realised this wasn't actually very clear - everyone allocates their workers at the same time, working together if they wish, then the actions resolve in the order in the primer. The only reason 'first player' matters is to determine who receives Determination in the appropriate phase.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

CirclMastr posted:

I'm supporting Morpheus, "Exploration for Food" is the threat. Don't worry about the threat.

You place both workers at the same time, on either the same task or different ones. I think you should be exploring the map.

EDIT: Ugh, it's Expedition for Food, not Exploration. No wonder it's causing confusion, it's my own drat fault.

Ah, okay. My mistake. I was confused. :downs:
So... both pawns for exploring, then? I guess I don't really have anything else to do at the moment.
FAKE EDIT: All right, I usually tend to play it safe in games like this. #Two to Explore the Northeast Hex, please.

EDIT:

Stelas posted:

Sorry, I just realised this wasn't actually very clear - everyone allocates their workers at the same time, working together if they wish, then the actions resolve in the order in the primer. The only reason 'first player' matters is to determine who receives Determination in the appropriate phase.

That's what I thought. I'll stand by my move, though, at least until someone yells at me for it being stupid. :ohdear:

ActingPower fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 22, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Summing up at the moment, we've got...

- ActingPower with 2 explorers on the NW-most hex
- 2 workers on the threat card Exploring for Food
- 1 worker arranging camp for Morale
- 1 worker arranging camp for determination for the Cook

Also, if you're wondering about the dice distribution for when you use one worker rather than two...

Gathering is very safe and reliable, Exploring's likely to succeed but very likely to give you a card, Building is surprisingly dangerous. You'd think making a shovel would be easy.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Stelas posted:

Building is surprisingly dangerous. You'd think making a shovel would be easy.

Tell that to this guy:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Arrange camp action gets that player (not first player) 2 determination AND pushes morale up by one, not OR.

Also this may not be obvious, but a lot of the basic inventions in your tech tree rely on you finding a certain terrain type. For instance you can't get rope till you find some grasslands and you can't get the hatchet till you find some mountains. Exploring now is very important for possibly building inventions next turn.

Your starting trinkets are also very hunting oriented, so you want to explore to get some animal cards out so you can hunt them for large amounts of food and furs.

Fellis fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 22, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Fellis posted:

Arrange camp action gets that player (not first player) 2 determination AND pushes morale up by one, not OR.

Not when you have 4 players - you replace the bit on the board with an overlay, it's just not in my graphics pack.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Stelas posted:

Not when you have 4 players - you replace the bit on the board with an overlay, it's just not in my graphics pack.

Ah, I never played with 4 people before. Good to know.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I can't make head nor tail of the Castaways Guide. Is there anything vital we still need, or should I just explore?

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Jedit posted:

I can't make head nor tail of the Castaways Guide. Is there anything vital we still need, or should I just explore?

That would probably be good. We always need more stuff. Alternatively, you could do some more arranging of camp, or you could try to make the shovel. Maybe other stuff?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Jedit posted:

Try the primer I wrote upthread. Right now, your main options - largely due to lack of space - basically fall down to 'explore a hex' and/or 'grab some wood/food from the camp tile'.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 23, 2014

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I would suggest one worker to explore a hex and one to gather food; if you'd rather double-explore to guarantee success, I'm going to change my Arrange Camp worker to Gather Food, otherwise we won't hit the four food we need to not starve.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CirclMastr posted:

I would suggest one worker to explore a hex and one to gather food; if you'd rather double-explore to guarantee success, I'm going to change my Arrange Camp worker to Gather Food, otherwise we won't hit the four food we need to not starve.

Yeah, that's what I was asking: are we going to starve?

OK, let's risk a card.

Worker 1: Gather food
Worker 2: Explore SE hex

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

So, pending changes:

- Jedit: 1 worker - explore to the SE.
- Jedit: 1 worker - gather Food on Camp.
- ActingPower: 2 workers - explore to the NE.
- 2 workers on the threat card Exploring for Food.
- 1 worker arranging camp for Morale.
- 1 worker arranging camp for determination for the Cook.
- Double-tap the Empty Bottle.

Barring any changes, I'll run the turn when I get back from work tonight.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TURN 1 CONT.

Resolve Phase

The Empty Bottle is used twice, bringing Weapon Level to 2.

Threat Card Expedition For Food has two workers assigned; +1 Food, +1 Non-Perishable Food. The card is discarded.

No-one is Hunting.

No-one is Building.

Soldier scavenges around Camp for Food! (Dice: Success/Wound/Adventure) Soldier takes a Wound, gains +1 Food, and draws a card:

Shortage posted:

Already, the fish along the beach are becoming scarcer. It looks like it's the last time you'll be here.

Take one additional cube of the resource you are gathering, then cover the source to indicate it is exhausted.
Soldier gets another +1 Food, and the Food source exhausts.

This is one of the ways you'll be forced to move camp. Eventually, some of your sources are going to run out, requiring you to explore deeper into the island.

Explorer explores to the NE with a guaranteed success, revealing a River with a Beast, a Food source and 3 Mystery Tokens. The Hunting deck is populated.
Token 1: Treasure
Token 2: If Pot has been made -> Morale Boost
Token 3: Lower Weapon by 1 -> 1 Fur, 1 Food

Mystery tokens are gained when exploring, and through a few other effects. At the end of the phase, if they are resources, you immediately get them. If they are anything else, then they become consumables you can use at any time if you have or pay the prereqs. Treasure allows you to pick up Mystery cards from the deck until you find one of the relevant type - very handy, and no real reason to put off using it once you get it at the end of the phase.

Soldier explores to the SE. (Success/Adventure) Soldier reveals some Hills with a Wood source, a Food source, and 1 Mystery Token. He draws a card:

Secret Cave posted:

Hidden deep in a thicket of bushes, you find a secret cave. What could be in there?

DECIDE: Discard this card OR draw 3 Mystery cards, resolving only 1 Trap or Beast and up to 2 Treasure, then shuffle this card into the Event deck.
Token 1: +1 Weapon Level

Situations like this are one of the ways that the Event deck can be populated by things that aren't Events. Two Treasure cards is pretty awesome - but who knows what the card will have in store for you later? Ostensibly speaking you should get to know what the potential repercussions are... but in a format like this I find that it's more thematic to do it blind.

Regarding drawing from the Mystery deck: the idea is that you draw until you encounter a card type that matches one of the ones you're looking for. You have to resolve one card - and after each card, you decide whether you want to keep going or stop. If you get lucky and draw 2 Treasure cards before ever drawing a Trap or Beast, you get away scot-free!

Cook arranges Camp and gains 2 Determination.
Carpenter arranges Camp and increases Morale to +1.

Pending Actions

Soldier: Take the deal? If so, let me know if you want to stop at 1 Treasure or go for 2. Obviously, if you draw a Trap first you'll get the whole lot because you'll be out of negative repercussions.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 23, 2014

• Locked thread