Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Stelas posted:

So far...

- Cook gathers Food (From which tile? This can be important.)
- Cook and Explorer hunt (Who's going to be the primary? They will be the one getting hit.)
- Explorer explores the Treasure Map.
- Carpenter double-explores to the East. Bear in mind that this will cause a card to be drawn no matter what, because board explores come before card explores.

Waiting on the Soldier and a couple answers to questions.

Yeah, that seems all right. But if that's the case, then it should probably be me who's exploring. I have fewer Xs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'm at work. I'll try to figure out what my options are when I get home (about 4-5 hours from now) and get orders up in time for the turn to process tonight.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Jedit posted:

I'm at work. I'll try to figure out what my options are when I get home (about 4-5 hours from now) and get orders up in time for the turn to process tonight.

I'm on the same schedule - no rush. Listing things out like that is just as much for my sanity as the players'.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OK. If we do not need more food, I'll put both workers to building the Shelter. If we do, I'll put one on the Shelter and have the other gather on whichever explored tile the Cook doesn't take.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ActingPower posted:

Yeah, that seems all right. But if that's the case, then it should probably be me who's exploring. I have fewer Xs.

Fair enough, I'll switch jobs with you.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Jedit posted:

OK. If we do not need more food, I'll put both workers to building the Shelter. If we do, I'll put one on the Shelter and have the other gather on whichever explored tile the Cook doesn't take.

You can't designate anyone to build the Shelter this turn - you need to have the 3 Fur or 4 Wood available right now to be able to do it. Resources gained this turn don't enter your stock until the Action Phase is over.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Stelas posted:

So far...

- Cook gathers Food (From which tile? This can be important.)
- Cook and Explorer hunt (Who's going to be the primary? They will be the one getting hit.)

Gathering food from southeast hex. Supporting hunt, so Explorer is primary.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Stelas posted:

You can't designate anyone to build the Shelter this turn - you need to have the 3 Fur or 4 Wood available right now to be able to do it. Resources gained this turn don't enter your stock until the Action Phase is over.

Oh, right. We need Wood, then. How to gather it?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

You've got a gather point to the SE from where you are.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Jedit posted:

Oh, right. We need Wood, then. How to gather it?

Or Fur, which we would get by hunting.

Are you really so opposed to building the Map invention? Remember that we have 2 Food from last turn.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CirclMastr posted:

Are you really so opposed to building the Map invention? Remember that we have 2 Food from last turn.

No, I just didn't know how we were for food and we really should get the Shelter up soon.

Map is useful though, and it gets more useful the earlier we build it. So I'll assign both workers to build the Map.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TURN 2 CONT.

Resolve Phase

Threat: No-one is managing Threat Cards this turn.

Hunting: The Explorer Hunts, backed up by the Cook!

Bear posted:

6 Weapon Level. -1 Weapons after Battle. 5 Food. 2 Furs.
The Explorer takes 2 wounds. Weapons drop to 3. The group gain a ton of food and fur.

Way to start out big. The Explorer can choose to retroactively apply a shot of the Pistol to avoid all damage, but your weapons will still drop to 3.

Building: The Soldier builds a Map. The group gains one Explorer aide from now on.

Note that the aide cannot ever do something on its own - it must always back someone up, and only knows how to explore.

Gathering: The Cook gathers wood from the SE. (Success / No Wound / Adventure) One Wood is harvested.

Winter Is Coming posted:

While gathering resources, you can clearly see the animals around the island preparing for a cold winter.

Shuffle this card into the Event Deck.

Exploring: The Carpenter explores to the East, backed up by some Weapons. Though the success is automatic, the existence of the adventure token guarantees a card. The Carpenter reveals a Mountain with a Temporary Shelter, a Beast, a Wood Source, and a Mystery token.

Thorny Bush posted:

You've gotten scratched by thorny bushes; your arm burns beneath the skin in a worrying fashion. Without a cure, you might be in trouble.

Place a green token on your character's arm. Shuffle this card into the Event deck.
The Beast deck populates.
Token 1: A one-off Builder aide.

Exploring: The Explorer activates the Treasure Map. (Success / No Wound / Adventure)

Carcass posted:

You've come across a dead goat. On the one hand, it's useful supplies. On the other, you don't know why it's dead - the creature should have been in its prime.

DECIDE: Either discard this card, or get 2 Food and 1 Fur and shuffle this card into the Event Deck.
The Explorer gets to draw 2 Treasures too:

Gold! (Treasure) posted:

You spot an unobtrusive chest hidden in the shadows, covered by mud and leaves as a rudimentary camoflage. You come closer and open it - it's full of gold coins!

Unfortunately, gold is of no use on the island.
Womp womp.

Herbal Mixture (Treasure) posted:

Strange taste, strange effect. But you make do with what you can, on the island.

Keep this card. Discard it to look at the top card of the Event deck during any Phase.

Organizing: No-one is organizing camp.

Resting: No-one is resting.

Pending Actions:
- Explorer: Use the Pistol to save two wounds?
- Explorer: Keep the goat, or burn its corpse? At the end of the phase you will have 3 Fur and 7 Food.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You'd think finding gold would at least raise Morale.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Stelas posted:

Pending Actions:
- Explorer: Use the Pistol to save two wounds?
- Explorer: Keep the goat, or burn its corpse? At the end of the phase you will have 3 Fur and 7 Food.
-If there was any time to use the Pistol, it be against a 6-Strength Bear, don't you all think so?
-What do we think is up with this goat? It was poisoned? It got attacked by a T. rex? It's infected with an alien virus? How bad do you think the problem could be, and how badly do we need the Food and Fur?
EDIT: Also, the new hex is perfect for our new camp. I vote to move there posthaste.

ActingPower fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 27, 2014

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Stelas posted:

Thorny Bush posted:
You've gotten scratched by thorny bushes; your arm burns beneath the skin in a worrying fashion. Without a cure, you might be in trouble.

Place a green token on your character's arm. Shuffle this card into the Event deck.

I'm down with Stelas' house rules of not revealing the bottom of adventure cards, but you guys are new players and have no idea what this is. Whenever you see one of these you have an injury, and if/when the card gets drawn from the event deck the injury messes you up somehow, here it is probably some sort of poison. There is usually a way to mitigate these cards, generally by researching Cure or Pot or something else before it fires. Just FYI

Same with this

quote:

Carcass posted:
You've come across a dead goat. On the one hand, it's useful supplies. On the other, you don't know why it's dead - the creature should have been in its prime.

DECIDE: Either discard this card, or get 2 Food and 1 Fur and shuffle this card into the Event Deck.

You'll get some benefit now of food and fur, but later on down the line you will draw this card and it'll hit you with something else, like reduced actions. Also these cards all say "and draw another event card after this" so you can get a whole chain of nasty things all at once if you keep doing them.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Fellis posted:

I'm down with Stelas' house rules of not revealing the bottom of adventure cards, but you guys are new players and have no idea what this is.
Thanks for the warning, Fellis. I know one of the rules says, "Adventure cards are pretty much always bad," so I had figured that we didn't want them going into the deck. Since the brush card says "Without a cure," odds are it's the Cure we have to discover to prevent it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Fellis posted:

I'm down with Stelas' house rules of not revealing the bottom of adventure cards, but you guys are new players and have no idea what this is.

In my defence, I did explain that... somewhere amidst the huge pile of rules. I'm also rewording the rather sparse narrative text to make things a little clearer.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Stelas posted:

In my defence, I did explain that... somewhere amidst the huge pile of rules. I'm also rewording the rather sparse narrative text to make things a little clearer.

Oh yeah I'm sure you did, I just vividly remember how daunting this game was to figure out the first time and I had a copy sitting in front of me instead of doing it pbp. Just trying to fill in the gaps from the veteran, not-gm perspective.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

We've got a Temp Shelter, enough Fur to build a permanent one, and 7 Food. We don't need a mysteriously dead goat.

Also use that Pistol, it's what it's for.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CirclMastr posted:

We've got a Temp Shelter, enough Fur to build a permanent one, and 7 Food. We don't need a mysteriously dead goat.

Agreed on both counts.

Am I right in thinking that the aide effectively allows us to double-work an Explore action with one worker?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Jedit posted:

Am I right in thinking that the aide effectively allows us to double-work an Explore action with one worker?

Exactly right. They count as workers, but they can't do a job on their own and that one can't do anything but explore.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

CirclMastr posted:

All right. Make it so, number one. And by number one, I mean Stelas. :v:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TURN 2 CONT.

Resolve Phase: The Goat is thrown away, ne'er to be seen again. The Pistol is used, and the Explorer saves his 2 Wounds. All resources become available.

Weather Phase: There is no weather this turn.

Night Phase: 4 Food is eaten, and the Camp moves East into some temporary shelter. No one goes hungry or cold tonight.

Decisions:
- Are you placing any wood on the pile this turn? You have 3 spare at the moment, with 1 to come next Production Phase.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 27, 2014

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Stelas posted:

- Are you placing any wood on the pile this turn? You have 3 spare at the moment, with 1 to come next Production Phase.

We should probably put some on, at least. We have a Mountain tile now, so we can also get Fire. We don't want to get rid of all of our surplus, though; we should probably save some for a rainy day (perfect metaphor, eh?). Then 2, perhaps?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
You have to start on the left (i.e. the one wood column)and work your way right, and can only do one stack per turn, per the FAQ. Also, it's something that happens after Production but before Action phase, so you don't have to allocate actions to it.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

malkav11 posted:

You have to start on the left (i.e. the one wood column)and work your way right, and can only do one stack per turn, per the FAQ. Also, it's something that happens after Production but before Action phase, so you don't have to allocate actions to it.

Ah, okay then. So, 1 for now.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

If the other players are okay with that, I've got the next turn ready to go.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Fine by me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CirclMastr posted:

Fine by me.

Yep, sounds good.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Fellis posted:

Just trying to fill in the gaps from the veteran, not-gm perspective.

Yeah, no worries! Sorry if it came off otherwise.

I've got the turn ready to go when I get back from work.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Sorry about lack of posting, was at a cottage, all caught up now - so, do I have some sort of wound token that's going to screw me pretty hard when the card comes back around in the deck? Maaaaybe we should look into the cure or similar next turn.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TURN 3

Reminder: The rains begin at the end of Turn 4! You will soon need a Roof over your heads. Morpheus becomes the Current Player.

Event Phase: A card is drawn.

Threat Card - Culled Area posted:

Predators have cleared the area away. It will be difficult to find much of anything with the ground in this state.

This round, you get no Food during the Production Phase. Place an Adventure icon on the Gathering deck - during the next Gather, a card is guaranteed.

Threat:

Plentiful Hunting: 1 worker, 2 Weapon levels - Discard this card and get 2 Food. Falloff Penalty: Nothing happens.
Predators in the Woods is shunted down the threat track.

Morale Phase: The Carpenter gets 1 Determination.
Production Phase: 1 Wood is harvested, and placed on the Stockpile.

Action Phase

Status - Turn 3 Action Phase posted:

Morale: +1
Weapon Level: 3
Shelter: Temporary
Roof Level: 0
Palisade Level: 0
Hunting Deck: 1
Current Player: Morpheus

Jedit - Soldier: Max-|--X----X---Dead - Determination: 1
Morpheus - Carpenter: Max|---X---X--X---Dead - Determination: 1 - Green Arm
CirclMastr - Cook: Max|--X---X--X--X--Dead - Determination: 2
ActingPower - Explorer: Max|----X-----X-Dead - Determination: 0

Goals:

Fire: No
Woodpile: 1/15

-
--
---
----
----X

Current Effects:
  • Exploration: First exploration per round, Weapons must be at least 1 or the character takes a Wound.
  • Gathering: The next Gather must draw an Adventure Card.
Available Resources:
  • 3 Fur, 3 Wood, 3 Non-Perishable Food
  • 1 Explorer aide per turn
  • Tokens:
    • Pot -> +1 Morale Level
    • A one-use Builder aide
  • Treasures:
    • Boxes: All Food is Non-Perishable.
    • Herbal Mixture: Discard to look at the top card of the Event deck.
Starting Items:
  • Pistol (1 use left - Temporarily gain +3 Weapon Level for one action.)
Threat Cards:
  • Plentiful Hunting: 1 worker, 2 Weapon levels - Discard this card and gain +2 Food. Falloff Penalty: Nothing happens.
  • Urgent - Tracking A Predator: 1 worker, 1 Weapon level - Gain 1 Determination and discard the Beast icon. Falloff Penalty: Discard the Beast icon and everyone takes 1 Wound.
Inventions:
    Generic
  • Shovel: (Beach)
  • Bricks: (Hills - +1 Palisade.)
  • Cure: (Plains)
  • Dam: (River, 1 Wood - +2 Non-Perishable Food.)
  • Rope: (Plains)
  • Fire: (Mountains)
  • Knife: (Mountains - +1 Weapon Level.)
  • Map: +1 Explorer worker.
  • Pot: (Hills - Allows healing during Night Phase.)

Advanced
  • Bow: (Rope, Knife, 1 Wood - +3 Weapon Level.)
  • Pit: (Shovel, 1 Wood - During Production, roll Building Wound die. On a wound, +2 Food.)
  • Raft: (Rope, 2 Wood - +1 Gatherer worker or +1 Explorer worker.)
  • Sling: (1 Fur or 1 Wood - +2 Weapon Level.)
  • Furnace: (Brick - Ignore 1 Snow.)

Character-Specific (Character must contribute at least 1 worker, gains +2 Determination on success.)
  • Soldier - Spear: (Knife, 1 Wood - +3 Weapon Level.)
  • Carpenter - Snare: (Rope - +1 Food Token on camp tile.)
  • Chef - Fireplace: (Fire - Heal 2 health per Food in Night Phase.)
  • Explorer - Shortcut: (Map - Place a Shortcut token on a tile adjacent to your camp. During Production, gain a Resource of your choice from that tile.)

Scenario-Specific
  • Mast: (Rope, Wood, Fur - +3 Wood, only for the pile.)
  • Hatchet: (Mountain, Wood - +1 Wood Token on the camp tile.)

Everyone, decide your actions. Remember you have an Explorer aide at your disposal.

Some notes: Temporary Shelter can have Roof and Palisade set up for it, but you'll lose them entirely if you move camp before building something more permanent. The Mystery Token provides a one-off Builder aide. Finally, threat cards only take effect if they are actively shunted off - if you were to complete Plentiful Hunting, the new threat card would take its place and not push Tracking a Predator off.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 28, 2014

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Well, I propose building a roof over our heads, and continue searching for some plains, as I'd like to get a Cure invention for this most-definitely-infected arm of mine. Might be a good idea to make an invention this turn, too, though I'm not sure which one.

Anyway, unless someone objects, I'm going to do the following:

Build roof (using one pawn and the one-use builder token, consuming three fur)
Threat management - Tracking a predator - one pawn.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

I'd like to explore, and since we've got the extra dude, I only need one guy on that. So how else can I help? Support a cure, fire, or the permanent shelter? Help with the gathering?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

We can't build the Cure, but we need the Fire. I also think we should build the Hatchet.

You should explore the hex directly east of us first, I'd say.

So here's what I'm thinking:
Morpheus's actions stand
I gather Food with 1 pawn, and support building the Fire with 1 pawn.
ActingPower explores to the east with 1 pawn and support from explorer pawn, and builds Fire with 1 pawn.
Jedit double-builds Hatchet.

How does that sound to everyone?

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

CirclMastr posted:

We can't build the Cure, but we need the Fire. I also think we should build the Hatchet.

You should explore the hex directly east of us first, I'd say.

So here's what I'm thinking:
Morpheus's actions stand
I gather Food with 1 pawn, and support building the Fire with 1 pawn.
ActingPower explores to the east with 1 pawn and support from explorer pawn, and builds Fire with 1 pawn.
Jedit double-builds Hatchet.

How does that sound to everyone?

I was gonna say support the gathering instead, but I remembered that building is more dangerous. (Not to mention we're already guaranteed a Gathering card.) Yeah, that should be decent. We don't have anybody going hunting, though. I guess that's not that big a deal?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

ActingPower posted:

I was gonna say support the gathering instead, but I remembered that building is more dangerous. (Not to mention we're already guaranteed a Gathering card.) Yeah, that should be decent. We don't have anybody going hunting, though. I guess that's not that big a deal?

Well, we'll get one food from CirclMastr (I really need to build that snare), which will bring us up to 4, which will sustain us this round. Any food we do gather is non-perishable though, so that doesn't hurt. Would probably be better to get that threat card for two food rather than hunt right now, if we do want some munchies.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm just waiting on input from Jedit as to whether he's okay with that course of action, or what he'd like to do instead.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Morpheus posted:

Well, we'll get one food from CirclMastr (I really need to build that snare), which will bring us up to 4, which will sustain us this round. Any food we do gather is non-perishable though, so that doesn't hurt. Would probably be better to get that threat card for two food rather than hunt right now, if we do want some munchies.

Are they any guarantees as to what we get from hunting? Or is it a "might be awesome, might be crappy" type deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ActingPower posted:

Are they any guarantees as to what we get from hunting? Or is it a "might be awesome, might be crappy" type deal?

You will almost always get some food, I think the range is 2-6. You may get 1-3 Furs, I think? The Bear is pretty much the biggest and baddest thing in the deck as far as I can remember.

• Locked thread