Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Hi I am in this game now. I will read it tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Hi guys I have to go shopping and then see GotG but I will catch up sometime this evening I promise.

Also f u Rarity.

I would vote for you but maybe I will read the thread and find out you are a mod confirmed cop or something.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Okay I have returned from Guardians of the Galaxy (good movie) and have caught up with the Awful Survivor shenanigans (stupid poo poo) and it is now time to read this thread.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
So I'm just going to post as I'm going, sorry if these points are no longer relevant.

Ixtlilton posted:

We're pretty much blind guessing on the risk/reward here, so I'm going to assign values here and sperg out for a second to help figure out which one I'd prefer. I'm estimating some odds here, if you disagree let me know.

So we've go option 1, which I'm assigning a value of 3 to the scum team for.
Option 2 which I'm assigning a value of 2 for.
And option 3 which I'm assigning a value of 1 for.

If town is correct I'm going to go ahead and give it a value of 3 for town, 0 otherwise, because I don't think TT would make it so that the penalties of choosing meetings would outweigh the benefit to town of choosing correctly, because otherwise scum would never pick it.

If I were scum I would estimate that town would pick option 1 60% of the time and option 2 40% of the time, making the values for their decision-making process like this:

3-3*.6=1.2

2-3*.4=0.8

1-3*0=1

From these highly speculative calculations it would appear that scum's best choice is still payphones. However, from the OP it can be gleaned that perhaps more information is gained from the higher level options with a correct, and changing the calculation to reflect this puts payphones on par with cellphones. However, it is important to note that with these stupid meaningless numbers the disadvantage for choosing meetings is minimal and provides an extra value outside of mechanics: town is wrong no matter what if they choose safe options, and you get people who look bad no matter what, and there's doubt about the people on the other side no matter what.

And that's a lot of words that don't mean much and aren't really helping me decide which one I'd prefer. Flavor-wise I feel like we'd be remiss if we didn't choose the one we feel like scum is most likely to choose which is probably payphones, but cellphones is still the safest option and if we chose payphones and they chose cellphones I'd feel really dumb.

What the gently caress is this?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I like this post

Little Mac posted:

I'm not trying to steer necessarily, but I wanted to open discussion on the main game mechanic with my thoughts: were I scum, I'd always pick cellphones on the off chance we'd get a huge advantage. I mean, we have a 1/3 chance of guessing correctly while they have a 2/3 chance of us guessing incorrectly. With the odds like that, why not go for the gold?

I don't like this post

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Also I want to address this - I don't disagree with that in the slightest - the mechanic will basically ensure more serious play early on, and thus better reads throughout D1. I

If you read through my games I basically think D1 is a crapshoot as well (which people think is scummy for some reason) unless somebody fucks up hardcore but less so this game because of the mechanic. So I'm not saying don't discuss the mechanic - just that in my notes everything in D1 is a loving crapshoot. After the first day is when you see how people respond to a good or bad read with better result/things to go off of.

But I was sort of alluding to, in my post, that the cellphone/payphone discussion/votes being the big factor didn't have to start so early - it could've started at any point - and that it's at least a little interesting it started early. Naturally I felt like I personally, would come to my decision later on in the day.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

CapitalistPig posted:

I played Survivor like I play mario party, a series of disconnected mini games that I am firmly mediocre at.

Mario Party is bullshit. Also Ecco's fanfic is annoying.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

I'm in agreement with this line of thinking. It looks like a bunch of the quiet people are still newbies so I can see them wanting to hang back and figure out what's going on but Opop's just refusing to make opinions.

##vote Opopanax

Ixtlilton posted:

Because not forcing opinions is totally a scum tell, you see.

This comes after a perfectly reasonable vote by Rarity against quiet Opop. I don't necessarily mind quiet Opop on D1, but faulting someone for making a vote out of it seems very scummy to me.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Little Mac posted:

I'm out right now and posting via phone. Should be able to be back in time for deadline to reread Are, but honestly, he seems scummy to me in every game we've ever been in together.

I agree with this. Ardulac is seriously like BN levels of scummy. It's truly a gift.

Ardulac posted:

I'm back now. The case on me is bad, but if everyone will at least post meaningful thoughts on it then I can die happy. I take issue with the idea that I'm anti-fun. I just don't think Ecco's gimmick is fun or indicative of effort play or anything else that I value in Mafia play. Obviously there isn't much agreement with me on that point.

It seems that the case was entirely him objecting to reading Ecco's posts because they were a pain in the rear end to read, but they are a pain in the rear end to read.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Fast Luck posted:

Oh, I didn't realize he was one of the new ones!

##unvote

Gotta find someone else to vote, though.

This is the worst way to say this ever. I don't know if FL is wording it like this just because he's new but this reads as he doesn't actually care if he finds the right one to vote, just that he should vote for someone new.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Oh my god there's still so many more pages. I'm taking a break.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Okay I will start reading this again. I will make it through this thread tonight I swear I will.

Also for reals Mario Party is bullshit. Oh hey I won every single minigame except the one that was worth ALL THE COINS so nope, no minigame star. Oh hey this person used a candy on every single turn and there just happens to be a candy star! Oh hey here's a star for landing on a bunch of blue spaces because that totally has to do with skill!

And then my star lead at the end of the game goes to nothing when all the bullshit stars are given out.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Hurt posted:

Just yell at folks and be a huge jerk. Trust me, it's the way to be a big hit.

I will do my best to be a jerk in Sam's absence.

CapitalistPig posted:

##vote ip

##intercept payphones

What the gently caress is this? Are you just doing whatever Ecco the fanfic writer says?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Asiina posted:

Hi I am in this game now. I will read it tomorrow.

This is a good post.

I'm almost there!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Ixtlilton posted:

I flavorcopped you you idiot.

What, what is this?

How is this an obvious thing you did Ixt?

Also why would flavourcop matter in the least when roles are randomized to flavour?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Ixtlilton posted:

I prompted you for your flavor because I knew your flavor and it was scummy. Wooooooooooosh.

Again, flavour is random.

This is poo poo that was known and was brought up on the same page

DuckHuntDog posted:

The OP says character names and roles are randomized and not related to events on the show, so claiming your flavor (and not role) should not be an issue. I don't get how that constitutes a "goof" unless you have something to hide.

What are you even doing?

Opopanax posted:

Uuuuuhhhh ##vote Burgandy Sure looks like you done hosed up

Opop please read the game occasionally tia.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Oh my god that was stupid, but I made it.

Okay so I don't know what the count is but ##intercept: cellphones.

I also probably would have shot Opop, I don't blame KingB. Opop had contributed less than nothing both days.

Based on the whole exchange afterwards I think Ixt is town but an idiot and Meds is town but an rear end in a top hat.

Ecco's fanfic is annoying. CPig's empty voting is baffling.

But honestly it's DBD who I want to vote for because he makes posts with a lot of words that say absolutely nothing, and then when one of the newer people calls him out on saying nothing he comes back with "kid this is how I've always played I'm not changing now."

I don't buy it.

##vote DBD

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Seriously though Asiina, statements like that make me want to vote you as much as I wanted to vote Rarity out of semi-OMGUS since I'm not over here going "look at this fuckin' playstyle, I refuse to get involved".

Except by saying that you get involved by self-defense that is what you're saying. You have to be able to offer up opinions before people case you or else we'd all just be sitting here with our thumbs up our asses.

quote:

You are basically rehashing an argument that holds even less weight now since I had not played defensive since then and have been involved to an extent that seems certainly more than "nothing" which I'd still like you to explain, preferentially compared to your posts.

I explained myself to Somb and he understood - I just stopped the back and forth with Rarity since it just seemed like she had a problem with my playstyle rather than anything else (all of the content, something/nothing/activity quips were all opinions that I felt towards her as well D1) and as a whole were strange to me since basically 5 people voted while there were like 15 people scrounging a vote up with a few hours to go with zero to little actual good discussion towards a legit candidate.

You keep coming back to this in your other arguments and now you're using it with me, that because you've posted a lot of words compared to others that somehow none of us can criticize your content. Your only posts either in support or against someone that isn't yourself is Rarity (which you admitted was semi-OMGUS and was mostly part of your defense), Dugong (which when I wrote my original vote basically amounted to "hey guys Dugong is being hedgy let's kill him....guys?" You've since fleshed that out, so I'll give credit), and Little Mac just briefly last night. Big wordy posts don't mean anything if they aren't giving opinions at the same time. Defense of yourself isn't going to be as useful if you die as your opinions on others. That's why we give opinions on others, so you can look back and find connections.

quote:

Which is why I don't get your method of "catching up". There's a lot to look at when there's a scum flip and you can see possible defenses or bussing between people - you just read the back and forth discussion, exaggerated my defense with "kid this is how I've always played I'm not changing now." and then echoed opinions that in my eyes at least, didn't warrant itself in the first place.

I was catching up because I just replaced in and I wanted to show my opinions on things that had happened. Especially since the guy I was replacing in for hadn't said a word. I'm not going to write a huge post (like I'm doing now) on every single thing because I know that most of them happened days ago so nobody cares. But I think it's valuable not to have a big D1 black hole for me so I commented on things that stuck out for me as I was going through.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Ixtlilton posted:

Please Asiina, tell me more about how I shouldn't have used my role to get reactions from people and scum hunt :allears:

Honestly Meds said basically anything I'd be able to say on the subject. I think he's completely right about how you played this, but I'm not going to hash it all up again just to have an identical argument.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

I voted payphones on a gut instinct and didn't see any significant reason to change my vote before it was hammered. I'm sure I would have changed my vote if it mattered but you probably don't care! Actually you probably do, since you keep saying we shouldn't let discussion of the intercepts drive us but you have on multiple occasions brought conversation back to them. You're really aggressive and that seems kinda scummy to me!

This doesn't seem like gut instinct to me:

IcePhoenix posted:

Hi guys, I was out all day (though I managed to make a post from work) and just spent some time catching up on the thread, and wanted to weigh in on the intercepts (and I absolutely feel that they are worth talking about) by talking about opportunity cost.

A couple important things we should keep in mind is that if we guess right then we get "Valuable Information," though we don't know what that entails. It depends on how powerful Taste wants to make it. It could be the scum discussing a target for the next night (which would clear someone as town), for instance. It could also just be some sort of clue that needs decoding. Maybe the information we get is dependent on what method they're using. The other important thing is figuring out what the disadvantages could be. Unlimited communication when using cellphones seems likely. Limited communication with payphones, maybe they can only speak through PMs or something. And holding them to a meeting may just mean that they get a small window of time to discuss their next move and no communication outside that is allowed.

So what does opportunity cost have to do with that? Probability says that we have a 1/3 chance of catching them each day by guessing randomly. Or if we decide that holding them to a meeting is victory enough, and anything else is a bonus, we could vote between cellphones and payphones and hope the 50% chance of catching it will dissuade them from doing anything but meetings. The final option, as has already been discussed, is of course to just decide to deny them access to cellphones outright, because the ability to run at "full strength" is too dangerous.

Personally, I prefer to go with one of the first two options, because in the case of the first I think the chance of learning something is much greater than never learning anything, and in the case of the second it really seems like Taste wants to make meetings a "worst case scenario" for the scum. In the "always cellphone" option I don't see how that helps the town, as it doesn't seem like using payphones will be much of a hindrance at all, and the scum will know that it's safe to use them.

Also aggressiveness doesn't necessarily mean scumminess. If that was true there's a whole bunch of people who play mafia who would never get beyond Day 1. Honestly though, this is Ice's second game and he was barely in his first one because of a stupid plan that got him killed, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt a little here.

IcePhoenix posted:

also because I forgot (sorry Rarity): gently caress

This is weird and something I don't get though. Why is he apologizing to you for this?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Oh, I skipped over everything that happened before confirmation posts started coming in, so I must have missed that. Makes sense now.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

The last couple days of modding Awful Survivor: ADTRW have been incredibly lovely. When I tried posting more earlier in this thread I started getting attacked for trying to help in the wrong way. When I tried justifying it I was attacked for being "too defensive." I just threw up my hands because I'm going to get lynched for everything I try to do. If I vote for someone else I'm being scummy because I'm trying to move the target off of me. If I do nothing I'm being scummy because I'm silent, and if I try and counter-argue I'm scummy for defending myself. I figured my best option to maybe play this game was to just keep my mouth shut and hope a case for someone else came up.

For now I'm just going to ##vote: Fast Luck because his case on me is retarded and it's going to get me killed on day 2 again. I capitalized Valuable Information because Taste allcapsed it in the OP.

I am pretty sure I made literally this exact same post in my third game.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Ixtlilton posted:

Were you town? Fast Luck looks pretty town to me from his connection post, and IcePhoenix's sentiment is pretty scummy there.

I've never actually been scum. I can't find the post right now but I remember feeling this "everything I do is wrong!" feeling that was super frustrating.

Ice, you've had 4 votes on you and I don't think they were all at the same time. It takes 10 to lynch. Just cause you get cased or get a few votes doesn't mean you are automatically doomed. However if you do clam up and hope people stop looking your way that absolutely will get you killed and also is a not very good thing to do because it stalls out the game. People will come at you for different reasons. While one person may be convinced that you are scum because you are silent a different person will think you're scum because you are playing defensive, but by being defensive you've convinced the first person that you're town. You can't please everyone and there will always be people who think you are scum no matter what you do, but until they convince everybody else of the same then who gives a poo poo what their opinion is. Sorry for the mafia moming, but if you want to keep playing you need to push through that feeling and :justpost:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Ixtlilton posted:

Were you town? Fast Luck looks pretty town to me from his connection post, and IcePhoenix's sentiment is pretty scummy there.

Rarity posted:

Ok yeah, I recognise this feeling completely. Ice is town.

##vote Deadbeat Dad

Case in point.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Ixtlilton posted:

You seem to be forgetting the half of D1 in April Fools Mafia you were scum before Baka Emperor killed you, and the 3/4 of D1 you were scum in Meinberg's game before you replaced out.

Meinberg's game was more two 3P groups who could recruit neutrals into them. It was a mafialike so I don't count it. Also I replaced out D1.

And I don't count April Fools because I was in it for like 3 hours before I got killed by my own loving stupid poo poo of a scumbro.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Deadbeat Dad posted:

It's less my scumdar going off and more of I want them to elaborate on why they don't like this post, otherwise it could just be made as a google document of taking mental notes to themselves - it doesn't add anything if there is nothing with it.

Also I responded to you earlier in the game saying my D1 defensive play is how I read people on their content/tone etc when responding to me and you had a huge problem with it. "This is literally how mafia works"

It adds up when people start dying, either me or the people I'm talking about. Keeping your opinions to yourself is in no way helpful for after you flip. I don't play under the illusion that I'll make it to the last day.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Deadbeat Dad posted:

I
AM
saying
you
didn't elaborate on your opinions

You are keeping opinions to yourself. Saying 'I like this' or 'I don't like this' are statements and not your opinions on the players on why you liked or didn't like the post. I'm saying you can go more in depth or have actual back and forth discussions like this for people to look back on if you didn't make it to the last day and flipped town.

I'm doing that now. I'm not going to go back and do that for stuff that happened day 1 because it's all over with at this point, but I'm not going to remain completely silent on everything that happened.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I am very pleased with my vote and don't see it changing.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
So Day 2 has been a shitshow. My vote stays. See you morons Day 3.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Question him for what? It was a gut shot. Nothing I say to him would have made him softclaim unless I was like I have a gun and will shoot you and even then I'm not sure I'd believe a "wire fixer" claim.

That's a pretty good thing to say.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm here, I ain't movin'

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Deadbeat Dad posted:

At least my voters are loyal.

I'll never leave you :glomp:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah, the reason I actually jumped onto DBD for a split second is because I'm really not sure how killing a townie and then outing an inventor suddenly cleared him of suspicion. MEDS said he made the most town post of the day, but then MEDS himself had been leading in votes just hours earlier until he self-claimed. That said, "two shot hider" seems pretty specific for a fake claim.

MEDS, DBD, what's your flavor?

I don't really feel strongly about CPig or Magnus but voted for them almost as "none of the above" options. Magnus, because he said he had reread Ice, then said he hadn't read Ice yet, and because he hasn't offered much, and CPig just as an alternative to Ice.

Him having the gun has nothing to do with him being town or scum.

Also hider is an easy thing to fake claim because you can't really prove it one way or another other than to say "I totally didn't hide tonight :smug:" and that covers your bases. It's not the craziest role in the world.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Still here, still not moving.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Hahaha what

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

You're going to need more monocles.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Rarity you break my heart.

##vote Rarity

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Dead people can't talk.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
We still can though.

Rarity how could you do this to me?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
You're playing Extreme Ways right now aren't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Why didn't you post this earlier.

I would never have been against you.

Real talk.

• Locked thread