Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I made this thread so that people could post pictures of what they have hanging on their wall, and maybe a share a story behind it. You don't have to be a particularly sophisticated art goon to know what you like (or to talk about it) so my hope is that everyone feels welcome in this thread. Feel free to just post pictures with the stories if the stories don't interest you; you're still welcome to share!

I've picked three things from my own home. Please excuse the image quality and I haven't worked out how to stop getting reflections of myself in the glass so enjoy some vague shots of me.

---

I bought this about five years ago. I like it because it has a bit of depth to its texture. I like it as a reminder to 'go outside' and 'see the world' and I think of the white part as my safe, comfortable home and the colours as the outside world whether different sights, cities, countries, whatever. I'm sure many goons are introverted on some level, myself included, and I remember thinking that I hadn't taken a proper overseas holiday in five years and I was missing out on seeing so many amazing things outside my house. So that's why I bought it.

This was painted by an artist as a practice attempt before some other 'final' painting of a Snowman. The finished product was bigger, had some colour, and the snowman seemed to have lost some of his sadness. Personally, I think the sadness is the most interesting part of the concept because it's so at odds with the idea of a snowman. Sometimes it makes me think about depression. Most of us would know someone who has suffered depression before, and even the happiest person can hide inner turmoil. I like it because I like it, but I also like that it reminds me to be the best friend that I can be to my friends, and to always be genuine and make sure people are OK.

And, on an even more dour note, I have this painting. Not something I would choose to hang in my living room, or even something I want to see every day really, but a really moving piece to me. The corpse looks exactly the same as the image I have in my head of my father, when I went to say goodbye to him in a funeral parlour after he passed from cancer. No one else in my family felt up to it so I went alone. And he just looked like this long emaciated object, not quite a person anymore. Yeah, sucks.

But what particularly stunned me when I saw this painting was the 'muscle man' in the background. The artist obviously intended it as a simple contrast to the corpse, but it had a meaning that was much more personal to me. Several years ago, my father (a 'famous doctor' - but probably just to other doctors) had a portrait done by an unrelated artist, and commissioned by someone else (his workplace or something, I don't recall). And, while I didn't particularly like that older portrait, it too had a 'muscle man' in the background. So it was almost as this second artist was doing a very specific "10 Years Later" portrait of my own father.

----

Your turn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Hi Mills!

It's not hanging on my walls at the moment, because I'm painting said walls tomorrow when I wake up, but I'm proud of this lovely "art" thing I made many years ago.

It is a visualization of the player pin logo from a video game called The World Ends With You. In the game, your attacks are done by equipping and using "pins" so I thought it was appropriate to make a recreation of it using pushpins. I converted the actual in-game image into something that would fit onto an available size of corkboard, then got the pins and went to work. It took a long time - not because of the actual pushpin part, but because I couldn't find black pins anywhere. Every black pin on that canvas was spraypainted in my basement.

It's nerdy and silly, but I made it and it works with my black furniture. I have my own office now, so I'm allowed to put up whatever I want! :shobon:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Those are all really cool. Unfortunately, my landlord isn't big on anything getting put on the walls and I never feel safe about using those 'stick on' hangers.

I've had this little thing for a few years now (back when Mass Effect wasn't a disaster and Bioware could do no wrong), but I've never had a place where I can hang it. One day.

The only other things I can put on my wall are a series of limited run art prints by concept artist Rolf Mohr (my grandmother loved the Amiga games he did work on, so). That and my two degrees. They all just sit in my closet. Whenever I see good art, I don't buy it because my closet's full enough as it is!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

This is in my kitchen:

Not a huge story here, but my brother painted this with me in mind, knowing that I like landscapes. It is one of his characters with a world on his head.

Looking at it makes me happy. Apologies for the quality of lighting/pictures.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
I don't have anything super fancy but I do like what I have on my walls. :sun:

This is a print version of an image that I also purchased on a coffee mug from this etsy shop. When I ordered it the shop owner wrote me a little thank you because it was one of the first things they'd sold. I love their art style! I might have to grab another print sometime soon. I gave the mug as a gift to a friend of mine so this makes me think of her. I've always looked up to her and aspired to live my life more like she does-- to be more carefree and assertive.

Flowers! This doesn't really have a story to go with it beyond I saw it at Ikea and it was pink and had flowers on it.

This is a Korean painted woodblock from a stationary brand called "iswas." It translates to "Don't worry, things will turn out ok!" which is a saying that served me well both in graduate school and beyond. I look at it to remind me not to worry too much. I also have one that says "You're so pretty~" but that is more for fun than anything.

This is my boyfriend's collection of Megaman prints. I got him the middle one for his birthday to complete the stage select screen. Also from esty.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I have this in the post -

and this one already on the wall -

Both by john baizley.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I'm getting a poster of Edward Hopper's Nighthawks framed.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?

wood fired stoneware

porcelain

in my office
2nd piece is huge, photo doesnt really do it justice... wood mounting board is almost 5 feet long

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

My mother in law is a photographer who decided to try her hand at painting and surprised us with some portraits of our dogs

I like them

Lucavi
May 12, 2002

cubicle gangster posted:

I have this in the post -

and this one already on the wall -

Both by john baizley.

Hello Baizley-buddy

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Loving the posts so far! Here's three more from me (again, with bad photographs with too much light or too little light :().

This is just something small that was done by a friend's girlfriend. Nothing particularly special but I liked the double concept of a girl's face and a fish swimming in water (the eye is the fish, the bubbles are water I guess) and I wanted to support my friend. I couldn't get a good photo because it's hanging in a sunroom with lots of windows so there are lots of reflections - oops.

This is Australian aboriginal artwork. I can't remember what its supposed to represent - I just really liked the colours. They're a little more vibrant than the photo would suggest.

This is just a photograph of a beach in Australia near to where I live. It just reminds me of home!

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

It's me

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I had this portrait of Brent Spiner and LeVar Burton commissioned, delivered yesterday. I think the official title is "Data and Geordi".

It's acrylic on panel, resin coated (so it's shiny like glass). The visor is metallic-colored so it shines pretty good from behind the resin and shows off the brush strokes that are all over it but only really visible on the metallic stripes. The artist (Troy Gua) does a whole series of these concepts printed for market, but the commissioned one he painted. It's awesome and I love it.

With Troy "for scale":

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
It's framed but I don't feel like taking a picture of it. It's above my toilet

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

, as well as a bunch of classic images of Audrey.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I've been into photography lately so I've purchased a few 'big boy' photos that I find interesting in the general area of "What does it mean to be an Australian?" as I think a lot of people in our country suffer from this identity crisis as our physical and cultural landscape shifts.

---

This photo is from a series of seven titled Majority Rules. Honestly, it was my least favourite of the seven, but the only one unsold - so if you like this photo, consider googling the rest. These photos explore the theme of our Indigenous population who are relatively 'invisible' in our society, probably in the same way that Native Americans are in the US. I think a lot of Australians feel uncomfortable and unsettled about Australia's relationship with and treatment of these people, but it's often not a public conversation.

This photo is a self-portrait where the artist is carrying a net full of black balloons. The image is a reference to the black balloons that were tied to the letterboxes of Muslim families and their supporters in the recent 'stop the mosque' protests in Bendigo, although I think there is a second interpretation in that the artist's religion has become a burden because of the way others treat it. Personally, I consider this behaviour to be on par with pinning yellow stars to Jews so I'm amazed this kind of thing happens in a so-called civilised and educated country in 2014. It speaks to Australia's (irrational?) discomfort with this religion and struggles with grasping the results of multiculturalism.

This photo is from a series that juxtaposes the burqa against Australian environments, provoking questions of whether it belongs (again going to the themes of multiculturalism in Australia), and at times trying to hint at the burqa's own beauty. I chose this particular photo because I like the strong contrast between the blue cloth and the red dirt, and for me it conjures images of patience and resilience in a harsh foreign environment.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Those are the things on my wall around my computer,
A hot air balloons thing my girlfriend made out of yarn or something.
A Speed Racer thing I got when I was like 16
and a Watchmen thing I got at a convention for 5 dollars.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

These are the things leaning against the walls in my apartment because I don't want to put holes in the walls and am lazy.

I have three things in my room, the first which is an oil on masonite by a dude named R. L. Jenks that's on the floor next to my bed. There's another part of it that I gave to a friend who's a goon a couple years ago and I hope he still has it or I will be upset.

The second is a clipper ship that sits next to my computer whose frame I need to do something with to make the wood look better, but it's still cool.

The third is a painting signed "Acosta" of a coastal view with a ship in the background which is on top of my dresser.

In my living room I also have three items. The first is a painting signed by Susan Bolt which I think is really neat and was super cheap at an estate sale because of a minor crack in the lower right corner of the glass.

The second is a sword I got from a friend when I was 16. It is a brick.

Finally, the last item is a wooden mask which I know very little about, but I went to an art thing with my mom and felt the need to buy something that was wooden because the awesome Black Forest wooden bear thing was out of my price range.

Kmlkmljkl
Sep 21, 2014

AT NIGHT I GET SO LONELY I JERK IT FURIOUSLY TO THE SIMS
It's not really on a wall but I guess it still counts:

We've had these for as long as I can remember.

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012
Found couple of gems from the local red cross fleemarket.

That Horse owl wooden thingy isnt on the wall yet, cause it has a signature on the back and i'm trying to find out more about it first

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I bought this~

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Just a Fish posted:

Found couple of gems from the local red cross fleemarket.

"Made in (I think, it's an abbreviation)
Novo-Cmoliko

05 Nov 1995

B.G."

Something like that? The script is old fashioned so it's hard to make out the name of the city. It's definitely a city name and a date though. The "B. G." is probably your artist's initials.

mutata fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 21, 2015

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

hey all, we're going on a vacation!

landy.
Jan 20, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
A certificate of rank for judo and my associates. I plan on upgrading when I get higher rank and a bachelors.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

most of the things on my wall are dumb posters that i put up so itd look less empty. im pretty fond of this though:

its from a souvenir shop in china. its supposedly a kite but i doubt it can actually fly

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

TWIST FIST posted:

most of the things on my wall are dumb posters that i put up so itd look less empty. im pretty fond of this though:

its from a souvenir shop in china. its supposedly a kite but i doubt it can actually fly

That's cool

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

cubicle gangster posted:

Both by john baizley.

this guy owns

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://instagram.com/mutatedjellyfish/
https://www.artstation.com/mutatedjellyfish

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005

this is Art

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

lol

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

Aishlinn posted:

, as well as a bunch of classic images of Audrey.

this is awesome!

Qwerinty
Jul 20, 2006

by zen death robot
Holy poo poo, who gave us this incredible thread? I'd just empty quote nearly the entire thread, but goddamn, the watermelon and the first images in the OP (really good doors btw), goddamn. I have nothing on my walls currently, but I'd like a copy of Scott Mutter's Escalators.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs
It looks better in a frame, hung on a wall of deepest periwinkle next to an open window in my apartment (plants too)

Very good thread btw op

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Areola Grande fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 23, 2015

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs
:shobon:

Lil Cunty
Oct 22, 2007

omg

is this real. omg aaaaaaaaa this thread rules look at all this cool poo poo

Beat. posted:

porcelain

this in particular is blowing my face off

here's some stuff I have

I made this! with wood and also nails. and chicken wire. It's where all my costume jewelry lives

it's the elephant corner. toot toot

a very talented artist friend painted this bevy of beautiful ladies

my favorite wall, I painted it last month

I have piles more stuff on my walls but those are some things im really proud of

ty crap

ty landy

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Hello friends. You guys have some cool poo poo on your walls unlike those stuffy CC types (although I did like the porcelain shelf). I really like the wall in the previous post!!

Lil Cunty
Oct 22, 2007

thanks you mills for this cool thread

ty crap

ty landy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Qwerinty posted:

Holy poo poo, who gave us this incredible thread?

your IKs are cool and good and have good and cool ideas

• Locked thread