Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

On my kitchen wall at home is this lovely WD-40 original:

as well as a picture of LL Cool J and a stuffed Alf who is wearing an apron that says "Cookin With Alf"

Here at work it's a photo of this lovely duck I befriended in Amsterdam

ty manifisto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

My sister is 19 years younger than me and I live far away so I don't get to see her much, but a few years ago when she was 3 she drew me this picture and mailed it to me, so I had it framed:

I'm on the left, my fiance is on the right, and my little sister is in the middle. It's really faded because she drew it with crayola markers, but it still makes me smile. My 4-year-old brother has not sent me any art of note because he's kind of a butthead.

Lil Cunty
Oct 22, 2007

Twitter Warpath posted:

My sister is 19 years younger than me and I live far away so I don't get to see her much, but a few years ago when she was 3 she drew me this picture and mailed it to me, so I had it framed:

I'm on the left, my fiance is on the right, and my little sister is in the middle. It's really faded because she drew it with crayola markers, but it still makes me smile. My 4-year-old brother has not sent me any art of note because he's kind of a butthead.

this is really adorable

ty crap

ty landy

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Twitter Warpath posted:

who is that ghostly visage looming behind your family :ohdear:

ty manifisto

Lil Cunty
Oct 22, 2007

that's the sun obv

ty crap

ty landy

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

alnilam posted:

that's the cumulative ghost of all of our ancestors

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

alnilam posted:

that's the sun!!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Twitter Warpath posted:

that's the cumulative ghost of all of our ancestors

they look really happy :nsacloud:

ty manifisto

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
Does anyone know how to take a photograph of a framed picture/print/whatever that doesn't look like total poo poo because of the reflections in the glass? Every single picture I took of stuff on my walls looks like a hot mess.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

dogcrash truther posted:

Does anyone know how to take a photograph of a framed picture/print/whatever that doesn't look like total poo poo because of the reflections in the glass? Every single picture I took of stuff on my walls looks like a hot mess.

if you have a big camera use a polarizer, if not just spend eternity moving around trying to find a decent angle and/or turning off various lights

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

dogcrash truther posted:

don't use flash, if you can avoid it

ty manifisto

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
yeah html5 is better

Chef Shimi
Feb 27, 2013

Bwee posted:

yeah html5 is better

:gb2pos:

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
I rated this thread a 2 or a 3 by mistake because I am sick and my hands are dumb, I'm sorry everyone

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

SoundMonkey posted:

if you have a big camera use a polarizer, if not just spend eternity moving around trying to find a decent angle and/or turning off various lights

well poo poo. I guess I'm just gonna have pictures that look like a hot mess

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Half my photos have reflections. Just embrace it. :getin:

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
I just put mine on a table in a dark room and took a pic, thus the really dark kind of lovely tone

dogcrash truther posted:

Who'd you inherit it from and why did you keep it?

It was a wedding gift to my grandparents in the 30s sent from some of her relatives from B.C. along with a bunch of other antiques. I have an oriental rug in the same room that came in the same batch of wedding gifts. They are both easily 100 years old.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

My grand-dad on my dad's side was a lawyer for many years. Apart from doing corporate law, he also did pro-bono work for a lot of Portuguese, Spanish, and French artists. In appreciation for his work they would sometimes give him paintings and sketches and stuff like that. His house is full of them. When I was a kid, I loved this particular print by the Portuguese artist Joao Hogan. When I bought my own house, grandpa gave it to me. Since then, he's gotten Alzheimers pretty bad and when I've seen him, he thinks I'm my dad :| but this print always brings me back to being a kid wandering around in his house, which was full of extremely cool and tasteful stuff.

This here is a print by Jacques Tardi, maybe the greatest living French comics artist, signed by Tardi. My dad got it for me on a trip to France and I love it for a lot of different reasons. First, it's just a beautiful picture, but second, it reminds me of my dad, who's the smartest and most thoughtful person I've ever met. And his collection of Jacques Tardi comics (in french) along with a bunch of French art magazines from the 70s, were something I discovered when I was about 13 poking around in our basement and they melted my brain at the time. I love the dude's expression, and the single light in the tower, and the big dipper above.

This here's a print by a guy I know. He's cool, and it's nice to know cool talented people.

Chef Shimi
Feb 27, 2013

^good post and very cool thread. I just have some framed album covers my dad gave me :eng99:.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN
Apr 27, 2010

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

dogcrash truther posted:

My grand-dad on my dad's side was a lawyer for many years. Apart from doing corporate law, he also did pro-bono work for a lot of Portuguese, Spanish, and French artists. In appreciation for his work they would sometimes give him paintings and sketches and stuff like that. His house is full of them. When I was a kid, I loved this particular print by the Portuguese artist Joao Hogan. When I bought my own house, grandpa gave it to me. Since then, he's gotten Alzheimers pretty bad and when I've seen him, he thinks I'm my dad :| but this print always brings me back to being a kid wandering around in his house, which was full of extremely cool and tasteful stuff.

This here is a print by Jacques Tardi, maybe the greatest living French comics artist, signed by Tardi. My dad got it for me on a trip to France and I love it for a lot of different reasons. First, it's just a beautiful picture, but second, it reminds me of my dad, who's the smartest and most thoughtful person I've ever met. And his collection of Jacques Tardi comics (in french) along with a bunch of French art magazines from the 70s, were something I discovered when I was about 13 poking around in our basement and they melted my brain at the time. I love the dude's expression, and the single light in the tower, and the big dipper above.

This here's a print by a guy I know. He's cool, and it's nice to know cool talented people.

nice

Lil Cunty
Oct 22, 2007

dogcrash truther posted:

these are all rad. re: the last one, is your friend a pen and ink illustrator? i cant tell what the medium is but i really like the style

ty crap

ty landy

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

I love this picture. got it as a gift and not sure who the artist is.

this is the only painting I've ever even attempted. my ex was a phenomenal painter and helped me create it. I'm very proud since I have always sucked at anything art. found the "plant" to match it at a garage sale the same week I made it.

I made these 8bit images a few years ago and have them hanging above my desk.

this is not technically on my wall, but it's one of my favorites. I won it in an eBay auction for $1, and I would be lying if I said Sir Charles isn't my personal hero. some olive oil spilled on him creating a tear down his eye.

this is a metal inlay print I found out next to someone's trash in college. it was in rough shape then, and I spent close to a week cleaning, gluing, and framing the sob. it's hard to see, but it's very detailed.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014
good on you, restoring that last one. looks dang neat-o.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
i have a few random things but the stuff i think folks would like the most are

baby bo-pepper's giant wall sized yellow submarine

and

the painting i commissioned a few years ago from this guy as a gift for my then future wife (it's us together and a monster is there and we're all happy)

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

BYOB Rachel posted:

i have a few random things but the stuff i think folks would like the most are

baby bo-pepper's giant wall sized yellow submarine

and

the painting i commissioned a few years ago from this guy as a gift for my then future wife (it's us together and a monster is there and we're all happy)

woah. these are both awsome! I'm jealous of the yellow submarine.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
I have this above my bed so I can appreciate the giants every night before i fall asleep:

my friend made it for me while experimenting with the "flowers composing a larger image" motif.

I also have a picture of the 2002 world series team piling onto each other after they clinched a world series spot and some of the art i made in my elementary school art class up in the living room but they arent that cool.

beer pal
Mar 30, 2010

heres a couple prints i bought on sa mart a few years ago

i put some record inserts in ikea frames for some cheapo art hack

drawn by the hosts of my fave radio show

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

someone in my gf's apartment building was throwing this away, frame and all

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Rusty Staub posted:

someone in my gf's apartment building was throwing this away, frame and all

thats fr*ckin cool

bwatts
May 28, 2013

living in student accomodations, i'm always somewhat wary of hanging any artwork up - who knows when i might get kicked out, for smoking weed in my room (y'all can feel me on that one right?) with that said, here's something i think will intrigue those of you who are more interested in art:

"Man ?"

it's a very emotional piece, based on what other people have said to me about it, and it's very personal.i would be willing to answer any questions, but please note the space between man and the question mark, as it's an integral part of the work itself. thanks!

FakeBlood
Oct 23, 2008

Alive and kicking.

dogcrash truther posted:

pics or it didn't happen

im sorry for keeping you waiting heres the two

yood

microsoft flight simulator

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

is that a spitfire?

FakeBlood
Oct 23, 2008

Alive and kicking.

Piso Mojado posted:

is that a spitfire?

i think so. i got it from a condemned house that was about to be demolished and there was all kinds of cool ww2 books and pics in it and i took this home and hung it up i think its a spitfire

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN
Apr 27, 2010

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Piso Mojado posted:

is that a spitfire?

yes

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

it's cool

FakeBlood
Oct 23, 2008

Alive and kicking.
thank you :)

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

i made this in second (i think?) grade and now it hangs in our bathroom

as you can see there's a lot going on here. the center of the picture is dominated by the angry octopus grabbing for a small fish, who cries out for assistance. fortunately for this fish, the octopus is being attacked from below by a scuba diver wielding a knife in one hand and a rock in the other. meanwhile a school of larger fish swim by above, the slowest of their group struggling to keep up. the sea is many colors because it's tropical, and the sting ray and brain coral are based off images i saw in zoobooks. the sun is in the picture because it's a rule in kids art that the sky has to have a sun, even if there's hardly any sky.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

we have some other art but this is my favorite in the whole place

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

pig slut lisa posted:

i made this in second (i think?) grade and now it hangs in our bathroom

as you can see there's a lot going on here. the center of the picture is dominated by the angry octopus grabbing for a small fish, who cries out for assistance. fortunately for this fish, the octopus is being attacked from below by a scuba diver wielding a knife in one hand and a rock in the other. meanwhile a school of larger fish swim by above, the slowest of their group struggling to keep up. the sea is many colors because it's tropical, and the sting ray and brain coral are based off images i saw in zoobooks. the sun is in the picture because it's a rule in kids art that the sky has to have a sun, even if there's hardly any sky.

That owns extremely hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Shimi
Feb 27, 2013

the octopus looks like an angry dad from a comic strip

• Locked thread