Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Having just a premise is preferable, imo. Quake 1's premise is you're in a hosed up dimension guarded by insane zealots and it's epic as hell. Quake 4 is on a stupid alien planet and you have to stand around listening to tards talk forever and it's really badly paced and dull and the gameplay probably suffered from proportions of time and money spent on it as a result besides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

mabels big day posted:

Destiny is a giant fail because its for the xbox one, and no amount of alien story or grey blocks hitting each other will fix that

No but you see it's actually a great game because the lead platform is ps4 and

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Silver Striker posted:

but there is a story? i'm a little confused by your post

plus both of those weapon types you listed have drawbacks that keep them from being overly dominant. most of the kills in pvp come from the main weapons anyway

There is no loving motivation beyond the most barebones premise. "Aliens hate you, shoot them!"

And what's the sniper rifle's drawback? You can own everyone from a hundred yards away right from the start. This poo poo isn't balanced. I would've been ok with it if you didn't start out with ammo for it and you had to find some for your gun, but nope, have 7 shots for your thing that kills people in one hit. Go nuts.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Do I care any more about the marines in the stupid planet. No, their loving up my game with there mouths moving and making me stand in the room listen to it. There's enough to appreciate about Quake 1's setting without them forcing cutscenes on you. It's like Stalker. No one makes you listen to their story about the zone but the zone's really epic and it being there to appreciate rather than it being there to letterbox into a boring expositive cutscene makes it even more epic and probably didn't detract as much from the interactive part.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Wormskull posted:

Do I care any more about the marines in the stupid planet. No, their loving up my game with there mouths moving and making me stand in the room listen to it. There's enough to appreciate about Quake 1's setting without them forcing cutscenes on you. It's like Stalker. No one makes you listen to their story about the zone but the zone's really epic and it being there to appreciate rather than it being there to letterbox into a boring expositive cutscene makes it even more epic and probably didn't detract as much from the interactive part.

Setting is narrative, hope this helps

Like I'm sorry that apparently the only games you play that have any dialogue at all are bad games but that's easily rectified by not playing bad games and then getting over it when people like stuff you don't

Also fuckin lol at Quake 1 having any kind of setting at all

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

DoubleDonut posted:

I, too, would prefer if all games were about grey squares bumping into each other

sounds hot

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

the post was unironic primarily for this aspect of it

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

There is no loving motivation beyond the most barebones premise. "Aliens hate you, shoot them!"

And what's the sniper rifle's drawback? You can own everyone from a hundred yards away right from the start. This poo poo isn't balanced. I would've been ok with it if you didn't start out with ammo for it and you had to find some for your gun, but nope, have 7 shots for your thing that kills people in one hit. Go nuts.

well there's a lot of backstory about the traveler, how things got to where they are, etc. you're just thrown into the fray so you don't get a full sense of the universe but i don't see how it's different from something like halo where on the first level they dont sit you down and tell you everything in some big exposition dump. even in the beta you start to get hints of the a bigger story

for the sniper rifle it's a little hard to describe but it basically has a lens flare effect where if it's pointing at you its pretty noticeable. plus aside from the moon map (which sucks a lot for a bunch of reasons) there aren't really long lines of sight to capitalize on the sniper rifle. i haven't played around with it much so i don't know how the damage scaling works in terms of body shots vs head shots but i never really had any issue with snipers

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

Also fuckin lol at Quake 1 having any kind of setting at all

Did you ever notice the monsters in Quake 1 don't have eyes.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
basically what i'm hearing is that destiny sucks if you play it with other people so my solution is to not do that

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

matrix ripoff posted:

basically what i'm hearing is that destiny sucks if you play it with other people so my solution is to not do that

the co-op, especially the strike missions, is really cool and neat

pvp is a little iffy but a lot of the complaints are like "wtf... gear gives u an advantage in one of like 6 playlists?? wtf..... WTF..."

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

quake 1's setting was the result of hastily remaking a medieval fantasy game into a futuristic shooter

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

quake 1's setting was the result of hastily remaking a medieval fantasy game into a futuristic shooter

It's still severely badass and cool enough to see and consider without them having to fly a camera through the Cthon map and make him do a dance or something for 45 seconds.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

SunAndSpring posted:

well beta's over. fun for free, but I doubt I'll buy a game where there's no loving story or plot to be found beyond "Shoot space aliens. They hate you for no reason." At least Halo told me what the gently caress was going on with the Covenant and why they nuked humans all the loving time.

You can't give away the antagonists' "motivation" right off the top! This is going to be a 10 year undertaking, gotta save all those juicy story bits for the second and third games. Maybe drop a game changing fact about The Traveler a mobile-only spinoff to drive sales ("The Traveler's real name is F'rank.")

The beta was pretty good, I'll buy it when it is $30 like a month after launch. Also I hope they rewrite a few of Dinklage's lines so he doesn't end half his sentences with "...in centuries!" I get it, guys, humanity has been on the ropes for a while. The Cosmodrome has been abandoned for centuries, the ship I found hasn't been spaceworthy in centuries, the Traveler hasn't moved in centuries, etc. etc.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I think I would like story in videogames if exactly 100% of it wasn't below Marvel's 3rd class writers quality.
The fact that the only time a important character dies in a JRPG it turns into one of the greater examples of great videogame narrative says a lot about the medium overall writing, of course you know I'm talking about the fact that AERIS DIES! here

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The only time I was emotionally effected by a video game, other than when Aeris Dies, was when I talked to Strelok in CoP and he seemed really downtrodden and exhausted.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Time and money spent writing some lovely rear end story for a game would have been better spent making the gameplay better and that's why I always say to fire the writers.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

qnqnx posted:

Time and money spent writing some lovely rear end story for a game would have been better spent making the gameplay better and that's why I always say to fire the writers.

As everyone knows, the bigger your budget, the better the game. That's why I only play games from EA, Ubisoft, and Activision.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

As everyone knows, the bigger your budget, the better the game. That's why I only play games from EA, Ubisoft, and Activision.

I assume he's referring to the proportions of time and money spent, as well as what the focuses probably imply about the development overall.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Wormskull posted:

I assume he's referring to the proportions of time and money spent, as well as what the focuses probably imply about the development overall.

How does the proportion change it? If you spend more money on graphics it's not gonna make the gameplay worse. You can sit there and moan about how they're spending money on stuff you don't like but if you have poo poo game design it's not gonna matter how much money you throw at the problem because you'll just have more levels for your poo poo game.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I got really sad at the end of Nier. That was about it though for games ever making me feel anything around sadness.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Anyone that ever read a book prays every night, with tears in their eyes, for videogame studios to stop trying to write stories for their videogames. It's the narrative equivalent of baby mass-killing.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Basically yes. A simple premise and a lovingly crafted story that could make a decent book have the same impact in gameplay, and gameplay is what matters in a videogame.
This ignoring cases where the gameplay is mangled to fit in a story.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

There's also Time Costs, and just because it might be bad doesn't mean it will be. Not to mention if the game is bad already the only thing making you suffer a dumbass story will do is make it worse.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I don't really know where the discussion of bad poo poo even came up. If it's bad already then who gives a poo poo. If it's good, or if it might have been better had they balanced their priorities differently, is when it matters.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

qnqnx posted:

Basically yes. A simple premise and a lovingly crafted story that could make a decent book have the same impact in gameplay, and gameplay is what matters in a videogame.
This ignoring cases where the gameplay is mangled to fit in a story.

That's some great objective opinions there. Please tell me more about how I should enjoy games and what matters in them to me, because I need someone with a pokemon avatar to do that for me.

Wormskull posted:

There's also Time Costs, and just because it might be bad doesn't mean it will be. Not to mention if the game is bad already the only thing making you suffer a dumbass story will do is make it worse.

Why are you playing bad games?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

DoubleDonut posted:

How does the proportion change it? If you spend more money on graphics it's not gonna make the gameplay worse. You can sit there and moan about how they're spending money on stuff you don't like but if you have poo poo game design it's not gonna matter how much money you throw at the problem because you'll just have more levels for your poo poo game.

I think the main problem is that the big studios don't even try to make better game mechanics anymore, just use some set of mechanics that exist since forever, streamline them for the imbecile and then put some hollywood wannabe bullshit on top, just like they did The Last of Us and got more than two loving hundred game of the year or some poo poo.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

program666 posted:

I think the main problem is that the big studios don't even try to make better game mechanics anymore, just use some set of mechanics that exist since forever, streamline them for the imbecile and then put some hollywood wannabe bullshit on top, just like they did The Last of Us and got more than two loving hundred game of the year or some poo poo.

That's just "triple A" games in general. Unless you want to tell me that Call of Duty's problem is that they spend too much time on story, I guess.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

DoubleDonut posted:

That's some great objective opinions there. Please tell me more about how I should enjoy games and what matters in them to me, because I need someone with a pokemon avatar to do that for me.

Why are you playing bad games?

Please do tell us which games you think are "good"

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

qnqnx posted:

Please do tell us which games you think are "good"

King of Dragon Pass.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Call of Duty and Last of Us mechanics aren't dumb because the mechanics have been around forever so much as the mechanics are made to support the stories that they put so much emphasis on. And they're making stories more conducive to passive consumption than to interactivity.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Wormskull posted:

Call of Duty and Last of Us mechanics aren't dumb because the mechanics have been around forever so much as the mechanics are made to support the stories that they put so much emphasis on. And they're making stories more conducive to passive consumption than to interactivity.

Sure. I'm not arguing that games have such great stories or that every game should be concerned about having a strong narrative, I'm just arguing that saying FIRE ALL GAMES WRITERS NO WRITING IN GAMES ONLY RAW GAME MECHANICS MATTERS is loving retarded.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

Sure. I'm not arguing that games have such great stories or that every game should be concerned about having a strong narrative, I'm just arguing that saying FIRE ALL GAMES WRITERS NO WRITING IN GAMES ONLY RAW GAME MECHANICS MATTERS is loving retarded.

For me that was mostly just exaggerating since storygamers are tards.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Wormskull posted:

Let's just agree that Destiny is almost definitely gonna be a bad game for a lot of reasons.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The least of which is that you don't immediately know more than that the aliens hate you.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

DoubleDonut posted:

King of Dragon Pass.

Acceptable answer.

Wormskull posted:

Agreed. And I was being at least partially unironic.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
not making your game 60 fps is a good way to make it look like dog poo poo on release and even moreso in the future

60fps n64 games still look good almost 20 years later (f zero x)

Liquid Penguins fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 28, 2014

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Liquid Penguins posted:

not making your game 60 fps is a good way to make it look like dog poo poo on release and even moreso in the future

60fps n64 games still look good almost 20 years later

*Laughs at your naivety. Do you even know anything about Human eyes... Lmfao... loving nerds.*

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

zen death robot posted:

there were 60fps n64 games?

I think Mischief Makers and F Zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

DoubleDonut posted:

Actually I do believe that almost completely, my favorite games are either without a story or the story matters very little to me. Like monster hunter, dwarf fortress, X3, disgaea, mana khemia. If you look at mana khemia for example, a JRPG that has a fuckload of story, I would just skip through all that poo poo but I would spend countless hours in the laboratory trying to dominate the alchemy mechanics.
I would agree that story is somewhat important for the setting to some extent, (mana khemia could just as well be a futuristic dystopia or even have some abstract setting where every character is a simple geometry form), most of the time it just gets in the way, rarely contributing or staying on the background of the gameplay as it should. A rare example of the story staying mostly out of the way would be the first portal for example. A example of the story actually contributing would be Dwarf Fortress, where ancient history can have some actual effect on gameplay.

• Locked thread