Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

DoubleDonut posted:

Sure. I'm not arguing that games have such great stories or that every game should be concerned about having a strong narrative, I'm just arguing that saying FIRE ALL GAMES WRITERS NO WRITING IN GAMES ONLY RAW GAME MECHANICS MATTERS is loving retarded.
Actually I do believe that almost completely, my favorite games are either without a story or the story matters very little to me. Like monster hunter, dwarf fortress, X3, disgaea, mana khemia. If you look at mana khemia for example, a JRPG that has a fuckload of story, I would just skip through all that poo poo but I would spend countless hours in the laboratory trying to dominate the alchemy mechanics.
I would agree that story is somewhat important for the setting to some extent, (mana khemia could just as well be a futuristic dystopia or even have some abstract setting where every character is a simple geometry form), most of the time it just gets in the way, rarely contributing or staying on the background of the gameplay as it should. A rare example of the story staying mostly out of the way would be the first portal for example. A example of the story actually contributing would be Dwarf Fortress, where ancient history can have some actual effect on gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Liquid Penguins posted:

60fps n64 games still look good almost 20 years later (f zero x)

uhhhhhhhhhhhh

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Hope you guys like paying $60 for sub-10 hour games and endless DLC!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/07/28/bungies-destiny-might-be-smaller-than-everyone-thinks/

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

i hope thats wrong because i have pretty high expectations after the beta. it's unclear how much endgame content there will be, too.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Halo 1 was such a simplistic game, by today's standards it would be considered "barebones" or "low on features" or whatever. Even though it completely changed the FPS genre, and people still play it to this day. How hard is it to make a game people enjoy as much as the original Halo?

They've got millions upon millions of dollars and the Destiny Beta was like... everything about it was Halo with a different coat of paint. They put Dinklage inside a tiny robot that looks and acts just like Guilty Spark. I mean seriously

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i will pay any price to have peter dinklage be my personal r2d2

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Silver Striker posted:

i hope thats wrong because i have pretty high expectations after the beta. it's unclear how much endgame content there will be, too.

well the guy who wrote the article got a reply from bungie

quote:

“Oh, hello.

Destiny’s pretty big. It’s the biggest game we’ve ever made, by far, and we’re sort of known for making games you can play for months, years, and even decades if you’re a little bit…dedicated.

With Destiny, we’re looking to exceed what we’ve done before, not just in terms of scale – the Moon is our smallest destination – but in terms of scope and breadth of activities. That’s true for day one, as you expect, but it also means we want Destiny to have super long legs.

If we’re fortunate enough to have you playing months after launch, you still find lots of compelling stuff to do. That will manifest itself in a myriad of ways, from straight up content to cool activities we’ve yet to show off.

We think we did a decent job supporting Halo, post launch, but we were only ever able to cater to the competitive set. That left a lot of players out in the cold. That made a lot of the team grumpy. We wanted to do better. So, Destiny is philosophically built support every type of player, and all modes with ongoing activities and events. We look at it quite a bit like television programming, as opposed to a singular film, as we had in the past. We think it’s gonna be pretty great, but we wanted to test out a bunch of our new stuff with Beta, to make sure we could flip knobs and levers live, reacting and responding with lots (and, ho boy, did we see LOTS) of players online and playing.

Beta was water wings. Level 8 is nothing. You barely scratched the surface, and it seems like some folks had fun with what was there.

If you did, good news. More soon.”

so take that as you will im gonna choose to be optimistic because honestly i have the money to burn

if you dont maybe wait to buy it till people have their hands on and can say words

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

SunAndSpring posted:

like those one motherfuckers who made that one game the Order 18something something. They think 30fps is "cinematic". Bitch am I in a loving cinema when I'm playing your gay game.

theyre the same idiots that said story and visuals are more important than the actual gameplay in the order 1886 so they're stupid fuckers

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/464912/previews/hands-on-and-interview-the-order-1886s-e3-demo-showcases-style-over-substance/

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

arent the guys behind the order basically upset that theyre making a game and not a movie

i have basically 0 interest in that game because it looks like gears of war but somehow more boring

i thought the premise was interesting tho

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

gears of qte

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Silver Striker posted:

arent the guys behind the order basically upset that theyre making a game and not a movie

they make games, "there's no way around it"

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

closeted republican posted:

theyre the same idiots that said story and visuals are more important than the actual gameplay in the order 1886 so they're stupid fuckers

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/464912/previews/hands-on-and-interview-the-order-1886s-e3-demo-showcases-style-over-substance/

I watched a trailer of it and thought it looked really cool so I'm really disappointed that the devs are retards and this game will invariably suck.

I hope that one day we can move past game directors that are actually failed movie directors.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

hubris.height posted:

well the guy who wrote the article got a reply from bungie

so take that as you will im gonna choose to be optimistic because honestly i have the money to burn

if you dont maybe wait to buy it till people have their hands on and can say words

their response confirms the article is true

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

the best bit is that there is a 100% chance the story will loving blow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Ekster posted:

I watched a trailer of it and thought it looked really cool so I'm really disappointed that the devs are retards and this game will invariably suck.

I hope that one day we can move past game directors that are actually failed movie directors.

yeah same. it looked really neat during the reveal trailer but it turns out the devs are wannabe movie directors with their heads up their asses instead of wanting to actually make a game

also games that are thinly-veiled movies like last of us sell like gangbusters so they aint gonna go away anytime soon

• Locked thread