Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I've seen some people being wrong about the d-pad on the last page so I'll try to enlighten you. If you play a fighting game long enough with both input methods, d-pad and analog stick it will be immediately obvious to you that the d-pad is much better overall and that alone shows already that it has some advantages over the stick, at least in that particular use. I would say that charging characters like Vega are much easier to be played on the d-pad, since their special moves are easier to perform, and while I feel like hadoukens and shouryukens are slightly better on the analog most of the other common moves are still better on the d-pad.
Double tapping on a direction to dash is a move that I'll say make it the most obvious that the d-pad have some advantages over the analog.
Also, while I'll agree that you should probably use a arcade stick to play fighting games, it doesn't defeat my point that the d-pad have advantages. I'll go as far as to say that any time you don't actually need analog input you'll be better with a d-pad.

I think all of this is because of the travel distance needed by the analog, also the lack of precision when you just want to point to 180 degree, not 180.42343 or 179.98384783 (making the character jump), that gets in the way in some scenarios.

program666 fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
risk of rain is a hot crock of poo poo for lots of reasons. I went to their website and it's apparently made in Game Maker, so I don't see why some talentless poo poo like me isn't making a vidcon as we speak

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Schnedwob posted:

risk of rain is a hot crock of poo poo for lots of reasons. I went to their website and it's apparently made in Game Maker, so I don't see why some talentless poo poo like me isn't making a vidcon as we speak

Did they unfuck the ladders yet

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Doctor Goat posted:

pso3 is really weird. it's worth playing. i don't know if it's good. i played it and i can't say.

the gameplay was nice but the game forced you to grind booster packs to get good decks. i went back to regular pso when i had to grind a lot for new cards. if im gonna grind, im gonna get a real lavis cannon instead of some lame-rear end card version of it

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

qnqnx posted:

Did they unfuck the ladders yet

I haven't played it since November but they haven't updated it so no, the ladders are still hosed, as is the framerate on the final level

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Buschmaki posted:

I woke up this morning and saw this. Please never disrespect the Gamecube or Super Mario Sunshine again with your bad opinions tia.

I've gone through 3 gamecubes. It's the laser that always goes first.

They're the cheapest console you can currently buy, and if it was popular the price would be higher.

It's even cheaper than the Dreamcast.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I had a Gamecube that I no joke accidentally launched out of a window and that thing kept on ticking, sorry you didn't respect your system and it died on you.

e: Holy poo poo, did you just insult Dreamcast too?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Buschmaki posted:

I had a Gamecube that I no joke accidentally launched out of a window and that thing kept on ticking, sorry you didn't respect your system and it died on you.

e: Holy poo poo, did you just insult Dreamcast too?

The laser burns out not because of abuse but from general wear and tear because the lens becomes worn out.

You can chuck it out a window and the lens won't be effected, but a few marathon gaming sessions will do more damage than dropping the entire system. The Wii suffers from the same problem, only it's way harder to replace because you have to open up the entire system to replace it.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

the cube owns and pso 3 was a fun novelty but im glad i never got into the grinding. it was pretty cool for a card game though. baten kaitos and the sequel were also fun games that were cool and involved cards

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

The Taint Reaper posted:

The laser burns out not because of abuse but from general wear and tear because the lens becomes worn out.

You can chuck it out a window and the lens won't be effected, but a few marathon gaming sessions will do more damage than dropping the entire system. The Wii suffers from the same problem, only it's way harder to replace because you have to open up the entire system to replace it.

lol if you don't softmod your wii and play from a usb harddisk

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
seriously though metroid 3 on the wii had the worst loading doors. not sure if its the game, the disk, or the wii's fault

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

lol if you don't just use Dolphin

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Widestancer posted:

lol if you don't just use Dolphin

eh... :effort:

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

I always liked the n64 controller because it gave me options. Want to play with a joystick? Go ahead. Want to use the d-pad exclusively? Go ahead.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Well, agreed, op

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

just use Dolphin on your gaming rig.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

P fuvked up that no one has posted the best and most accurate dpad ever imo

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

program666 posted:

I've seen some people being wrong about the d-pad on the last page so I'll try to enlighten you. If you play a fighting game long enough with both input methods, d-pad and analog stick it will be immediately obvious to you that the d-pad is much better overall and that alone shows already that it has some advantages over the stick, at least in that particular use. I would say that charging characters like Vega are much easier to be played on the d-pad, since their special moves are easier to perform, and while I feel like hadoukens and shouryukens are slightly better on the analog most of the other common moves are still better on the d-pad.
Double tapping on a direction to dash is a move that I'll say make it the most obvious that the d-pad have some advantages over the analog.
Also, while I'll agree that you should probably use a arcade stick to play fighting games, it doesn't defeat my point that the d-pad have advantages. I'll go as far as to say that any time you don't actually need analog input you'll be better with a d-pad.

I think all of this is because of the travel distance needed by the analog, also the lack of precision when you just want to point to 180 degree, not 180.42343 or 179.98384783 (making the character jump), that gets in the way in some scenarios.

Fighting games are stupid

surc
Aug 17, 2004

program666 posted:

surc posted:

What, are you playing fighting games? You shouldn't be using a controller. You should be using an x-arcade, or one of those crazy expensive fighting pads. Man up and learn 2 game, son. Get your loving priorities straight in how you input. Then we can talk.

lol @ "It's better because it's easier". Play with skill, nub.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

LaTex Fetish posted:

I always liked the n64 controller because it gave me options. Want to play with a joystick? Go ahead. Want to use the d-pad exclusively? Go ahead.

n64 is the perfect controller for me, as a man with three hands

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

field balm posted:

I respect the PS d-pad.

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

field balm posted:

Is it better than the DS1/2/3/4?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Pikachu posted:

Is it better than the DS1/2/3/4?

its a lil stiffer and requires some calluses but good luck hitting a diagonal by accident. I don't think i've used the 4 thoug.

I will not deny that the 360 controller rules if u need analog though. I have the ps1 and 360 in matching clear plastic (the most nostalgic plastic) depending on games.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Frankly op it pales in comparison to the austere desgn of the gameby colot

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

shut up abotu gumby colon

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

field balm posted:

its a lil stiffer and requires some calluses but good luck hitting a diagonal by accident. I don't think i've used the 4 thoug.

I will not deny that the 360 controller rules if u need analog though. I have the ps1 and 360 in matching clear plastic (the most nostalgic plastic) depending on games.

Yeah, I have a wired 360 pad for my PC, it's comfy as heck; only beaten by the ds4 in that regard IMHO

It's useless for emulation though

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

program666 posted:

unrelated but I tried using the DS4 for risk of rain yesterday and it seems that the way the game maps the d-pad don't allow for diagonals. If you press up and left at the same time it doesn't do anything for example. LOL CHUCKLEFIST IS FULL OF loving FAIL LOL. They are a bit hacky aren't they?

chucklefucks are terrible at details. they put controller support in their game but still require mouse navigation for lots of important menus (like when you die and want to respawn)

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

zen death robot posted:

Edit: also you cry about the DS4 cramping your mutant hands, so who are you to judge anyone??

How :psyduck:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In this forum is it a rule you have to put Edit: when you make a edit or is that just a habit from other forums.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Wormskull posted:

In this forum is it a rule you have to put Edit: when you make a edit or is that just a habit from other forums.

be a rebel don't do that poo poo

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ekster posted:

be a rebel don't do that poo poo

I never did but I see a lot of people doing it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I'm just trying not to get in trouble.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Wormskull posted:

I never did but I see a lot of people doing it.

Personally, I'm just kind of neurotic.

zen death robot posted:

Using the right tool for the job is the mark of a skilled professional. Noobs will have unwieldy, complicated tools that make things harder and less efficient.

Noob.

Edit: also you cry about the DS4 cramping your mutant hands, so who are you to judge anyone??

Right tool for the job in a competitive environment is the designed-for controller to keep everything on a standard imo, which for fighting games is generally the arcade sticks sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
Also hey it's not my fault Sony doesn't account for gigantism of the hands when they do usability testing.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Does the DS4 have factory drivers yet? Or at least stable ones? Been looking at getting one for my PC needs.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

zen death robot posted:

Please don't make fun of surc's hands.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

DLTN posted:

who owned one of these babies

it looks like it's transforming from one controller to another. it's like reading those animorphs books and looking at the bottom corner to see the kid mid-transition into a termite.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

used one of these for the longest time. was awesome for motocross madness 2.
never used the gamecube controller but i dont like the look of it.

DS4 is loving ace tho and if you get DSTOOL then it works flawlessly.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Video Viddy Games posted:

used one of these for the longest time. was awesome for motocross madness 2.
never used the gamecube controller but i dont like the look of it.

DS4 is loving ace tho and if you get DSTOOL then it works flawlessly.

Was this the sidewinder or am I thinking of something else

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
that is the sidewinder yes! it even had triggers.

there was an earlier sidewinder that was like a banana (the original ds3 design) and that sidewinder was six axis enabled. it was terrible for game playing though or doing anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Video Viddy Games posted:

that is the sidewinder yes! it even had triggers.

there was an earlier sidewinder that was like a banana (the original ds3 design) and that sidewinder was six axis enabled. it was terrible for game playing though or doing anything

The Sidewinder replaced my Gravis Game Pad and I enjoyed it greatly

How about this did anyone ever rock one of these guys

I didn't use the NES version much and ended up trading it to a friend for his copy of Kirby's Adventure but I DID make good use of the SNES version here

I hosed Sagat up many many many times with this thing

• Locked thread