Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Could someone help me figure out what my job is called?

I come from a Windows background basically doing standard system admin stuff, and also specializing in Configuration Manager. We're an internal hosting provider for the organization, so basically someone asks for a server/database/storage and we provision it and manage the OS level, and they're able to install their apps on it and such. A lot of this is automated, driven by a lot of Google Forms and a lot of PowerShell running in Azure Automation. Last year for Ignite I needed business cards so I put "Cloud & Automation Engineer" on them as my title, and I was in the process of forming and leading an "Automation/DevOps" team, but the pandemic shook everything up for us and so that's on hold. Nevertheless, I got my grubby little hands in things like our code and artifact storage, and our chef infrastructure, which is the kind of thing I was hoping the new team to take care of. Basically be an enablement group, that runs the tools that everyone else needs to deliver and manage services and applications, as well as be a center of excellence type group that eats our own dog food, so we'd be building out things using tools and patterns that we want others to emulate.

I work a lot with Azure DevOps, specifically building pipeline templates that other groups can use. I love building internal tools, and hopefully soon I'll be able to build out some REST APIs for our internal services. I put Cloud in my title but most of our actual infrastructure is on-prem, not yet cloud, though we're rapidly trying to move into the cloud. I don't have any experience with tools like Terraform just because we don't have a use case for them right now (though I have some ideas for my internal tools and hope to get to know Terraform better). We're getting a lot of support at work for training right now, so I'm working on getting an AZ-400 (Microsoft Certified: DevOps Engineer Expert) certification. Since we're basically a service provider, we don't run any applications, we're just providing infrastructure for others to use. I started life over 10 years ago as a Solaris and then Linux admin, so I've got a pretty broad array of knowledge.

I'm not really in need of a new job, but I like to keep my eye out, and I'm just having trouble figuring out what I'd even be looking for. Would Automation Engineer find me things that are relevant? I find myself drawn to the worlds of SRE, devrel, and dev advocate, at least internally, but I think something like SRE might be the only of those three that I'd be interested in branching out into more formally.

Help me goons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

FISHMANPET posted:

Could someone help me figure out what my job is called?

I come from a Windows background basically doing standard system admin stuff, and also specializing in Configuration Manager. We're an internal hosting provider for the organization, so basically someone asks for a server/database/storage and we provision it and manage the OS level, and they're able to install their apps on it and such. A lot of this is automated, driven by a lot of Google Forms and a lot of PowerShell running in Azure Automation. Last year for Ignite I needed business cards so I put "Cloud & Automation Engineer" on them as my title, and I was in the process of forming and leading an "Automation/DevOps" team, but the pandemic shook everything up for us and so that's on hold. Nevertheless, I got my grubby little hands in things like our code and artifact storage, and our chef infrastructure, which is the kind of thing I was hoping the new team to take care of. Basically be an enablement group, that runs the tools that everyone else needs to deliver and manage services and applications, as well as be a center of excellence type group that eats our own dog food, so we'd be building out things using tools and patterns that we want others to emulate.

I work a lot with Azure DevOps, specifically building pipeline templates that other groups can use. I love building internal tools, and hopefully soon I'll be able to build out some REST APIs for our internal services. I put Cloud in my title but most of our actual infrastructure is on-prem, not yet cloud, though we're rapidly trying to move into the cloud. I don't have any experience with tools like Terraform just because we don't have a use case for them right now (though I have some ideas for my internal tools and hope to get to know Terraform better). We're getting a lot of support at work for training right now, so I'm working on getting an AZ-400 (Microsoft Certified: DevOps Engineer Expert) certification. Since we're basically a service provider, we don't run any applications, we're just providing infrastructure for others to use. I started life over 10 years ago as a Solaris and then Linux admin, so I've got a pretty broad array of knowledge.

I'm not really in need of a new job, but I like to keep my eye out, and I'm just having trouble figuring out what I'd even be looking for. Would Automation Engineer find me things that are relevant? I find myself drawn to the worlds of SRE, devrel, and dev advocate, at least internally, but I think something like SRE might be the only of those three that I'd be interested in branching out into more formally.

Help me goons?

Devops

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

There was some good DevOps automation and orchestration chat in the last couple pages. Work is willing to pay and give me time for training and/or certs.

Can anyone recommend resources (books, CBTs, cert prep courses, whatever) for DevOps stuff? Terraform, Kubernetes, and AWS centric please. Labbing stuff out is of course an excellent way to go, but hey, they're paying, and if it gets me a leg up, why not?

I've got a couple basic-rear end Terraform projects under my belt and the org is moving to Kubernetes but I have no experience. Plenty of EC2 autoscaling projects but no experience with containers.

Please and thank you.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

stevewm posted:

Possibly... though the software isn't really complex at all. It's a straight .NET app running over RemoteApp with a MS SQL database. The "cloud" version is exactly this as well. They have you setup a IPSec VPN to their data center and then give you a RDP file to run to access it. 99.9% of our support tickets are either verified bugs or us just not knowing how to do things. Its extremely rare for there to be a problem traced back to being on-premise.

I feel their cloud ambitions are more revenue driven than anything. We already pay near 6 figures in ongoing support a year. The cloud option has you continue to pay this plus the additional cloud fees. For our size the cloud fees amount to 6 figures. It makes sense for a smaller company... but at our size and the amount of money they want, we could upgrade/replace our entire server infrastructure that runs this software every other year! It just doesn't make fiscal sense to go with their cloud option.

It wouldn't take a horrific amount of work for them to tweak their application to work with Azure SQL and move to a web UI that can run on web app instances, and that job should have started 5+ years ago. As it is they've built something that is time consuming to deploy and maintain and consumes the most expensive resources that it's possible to buy from platforms like Azure and AWS.

It also isn't anywhere close to being 'cloud' but that's an argument for another day.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

skipdogg posted:

jaegerx, you're local to me and can probably figure out where the potential job is at... if you have any opinion or feedback about the place I'd appreciate it.

While I can't speak for how it is now, they're still saddled with tons of debt but it's not like it's going anywhere and there are lots of places to go inside it. Getting to be multicloud is pretty cool and will only help you in the future.

I say do it, just ignore the first week bullshit that will make you loving cringe so hard.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

So perhaps folks with more Azure experience than me can assist, I've got a new client that is using some sort of WVD/RDS setup in Azure.

They have a Windows 10 machine running in Azure as well as an application server, folks connect to the win10 machine via Remote Desktop from their computers, and do their thing.

When I just setup a new user, I added her to all the same groups as the user she is taking over for but when I try to find the collection via RD it says she's not assigned to anything and the Tenant shows as unknown.

When I look in azure there's no host/application pools setup and nothing I can find that even shows any sort of WVD/RDS setup based on what various MS KBs show; is there something I'm missing? I haven't yet logged into their tenant via PS and will try that next, would it be possible some of this is setup/viewable only via PS?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I did the counter-offer tango and wrangled an extra $5k

Have officially accepted pending background check which can take up to 3 weeks.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

MF_James posted:

So perhaps folks with more Azure experience than me can assist, I've got a new client that is using some sort of WVD/RDS setup in Azure.

They have a Windows 10 machine running in Azure as well as an application server, folks connect to the win10 machine via Remote Desktop from their computers, and do their thing.

When I just setup a new user, I added her to all the same groups as the user she is taking over for but when I try to find the collection via RD it says she's not assigned to anything and the Tenant shows as unknown.

When I look in azure there's no host/application pools setup and nothing I can find that even shows any sort of WVD/RDS setup based on what various MS KBs show; is there something I'm missing? I haven't yet logged into their tenant via PS and will try that next, would it be possible some of this is setup/viewable only via PS?

Are they actually using the Azure WVD product? If so, then yes, at least there were some stuff that can only be done/viewed through PS

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

jaegerx posted:

While I can't speak for how it is now, they're still saddled with tons of debt but it's not like it's going anywhere and there are lots of places to go inside it. Getting to be multicloud is pretty cool and will only help you in the future.

I say do it, just ignore the first week bullshit that will make you loving cringe so hard.

Oh it's not Rackspace. It's the big four letter insurance company....

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MF_James posted:

You need to find out if this setup is session hosts, brokers and gateways deployed as VMs into Azure, or if the Windows Virtual Desktop product is being used. The URL of the gateway should give that part away.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

skipdogg posted:

Oh it's not Rackspace. It's the big four letter insurance company....

Oh, i only know a few people there. 1 of them seems to like it. It's a huge place though so you'll be able to easily move around there.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Ants posted:

You need to find out if this setup is session hosts, brokers and gateways deployed as VMs into Azure, or if the Windows Virtual Desktop product is being used. The URL of the gateway should give that part away.

It's definitely WVD then, that's what is listed in the gateway URL, I guess it's powershell only then because I don't see anything listed in the portal for WVD, like if I look at the various pools (application/host) there's nothing listed and it wants me to create some.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MF_James posted:

It's definitely WVD then, that's what is listed in the gateway URL, I guess it's powershell only then because I don't see anything listed in the portal for WVD, like if I look at the various pools (application/host) there's nothing listed and it wants me to create some.

Before they officially launched WVD it was done in a non-Resource Manager way. Like others have said, it's mostly PowerShell and the commands are different. Check for older documentation that references that. Not sure if an upgrade to WVD is in the cards, but if so I would move them over to the newer WVD.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

The Fool posted:

I did the counter-offer tango and wrangled an extra $5k

Have officially accepted pending background check which can take up to 3 weeks.

hell yeah

What was your phrasing in the counter offer

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Methanar posted:

hell yeah

What was your phrasing in the counter offer

quote:

Hello,

I am very excited about the offer, however, when reviewing the benefits package I noticed that the 401k match is lower than what I currently receive, and the insurance deductible is higher. I am also concerned about being able to find in-network providers for health care since Anthem does not list Alaska in its provider locator tool.

Would it be possible to increase my base salary to $120000 to compensate for these items?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

MF_James posted:

If it's the old, non-ARM WVD environment, you can't use groups for user management. You have to get the PowerShell WVD module (that works in PS5.1, and I think doesn't work in PS7) for essentially all management. Aside from the VM itself, you can't manage any of the WVD stuff from Azure Portal.

Depending on the size of the environment, userbase, and how much customization is necessary for the Win10 WVD hosts, you probably want to begin migrating folks to the ARM/Portal-managed WVD options, because management is just better overall.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
We're finding the weirdest issue, our internal unbound DNS servers are making suspicious DNS queries with themselves as the source. We have port mirroring on the network cards, and the unbound logs/zeek logs/iptables logs all go to splunk so we're able to correlate that the unbound UID is initiating the queries without an incoming query coming from another instance or user. I would think it's compromised, but we have crowdstrike on the instance, and the east-west traffic is protected by palo altos and we only see these weird DNS queries.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Company is offering up a free flu shot, manager sent out an email asking who wanted it. Some dunce cap reply-all'd to it with a big "NO" and thats the highlight of my career so far

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Cross posting this from a secret thread nobody here wants to read

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tetramin posted:

Oh my god I wish we could make this the thread title

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Going to post the same answer here that I posted there:

This is when you pay an msp whatever they want to get you up and running and sue the poo poo out of the former employee.

And call the cops.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I'm pretty sure you go to jail for that in the US.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tetramin posted:

and this is why your offboarding procedure is DURING the exit interview not after.

edit: Question: Where do employee liability for poo poo they do as an employee start? My company had issues with employee's accidentally'ing our Hypervisors before we basically bit the bullet and removed their ability to RM -RF, in a more draconic system could the company take them to court and win for fuckin' up? is it degree of fuckin' up that matters?

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 2, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Tetramin posted:

Novell.local would be a funny domain name...20 years ago

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you told me I would be troubleshooting DST issues on clients in the year 2020, I would have chosen another career path.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Defenestrategy posted:

and this is why your offboarding procedure is DURING the exit interview not after.

edit: Question: Where do employee liability for poo poo they do as an employee start? My company had issues with employee's accidentally'ing our Hypervisors before we basically bit the bullet and removed their ability to RM -RF, in a more draconic system could the company take them to court and win for fuckin' up? is it degree of fuckin' up that matters?

Usually it’s a matter of intent. Even in extreme cases you can go pretty far by accusing the company of lovely training. Look at the Hawaii missile early warning system guy.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

If you told me I would be troubleshooting DST issues on clients in the year 2020, I would have chosen another career path.

As someone who just took the sec+ there where two questions I remember on it which was basically "dst has hosed your kerberos server, how troubleshoot?"

So apparently its still relevent

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Defenestrategy posted:

As someone who just took the sec+ there where two questions I remember on it which was basically "dst has hosed your kerberos server, how troubleshoot?"

So apparently its still relevent

Our issue is Azure AD Hybrid joined devices. They still get their NTP from domain controllers, and it doesn't seem like that is configurable. We've had some Win10 laptops fail to update for DST. We've had some Win10 laptops properly update for DST, only to later check the CMOS clock and set their time incorrect (+1 hour, like it's not DST). We've had some laptops handle it just fine. If they connect to the VPN, things work just fine. Apparently there is very little you can do with Intune related to DST, time, time zones, or NTP. Fantastic.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Deploy always-on vpn so you can still talk to your dc’s

This is literally our solution for ntp and password change issues.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, that would certainly make life easier. We've really been trying to avoid it.

The more and more I have to deal with this poo poo the more and more I just want to move to a new small business that has nothing so I can just implement standard Azure AD Join instead of Hybrid. It's such a kludge.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yeah, it feels really bad to be spinning up a full vpn solution just to handle DC communication to clients.

And for a full 60% of my users that is literally all it would be.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
It could be worse. your boss could be wasting public money on a load balancer for an always on VPN server that doesn't hit over 600 connections because he heard third hand info that 'always on VPN servers stop working at 1000 users' despite literally all the googleable information saying otherwise, while you just have to sit there and be okay with it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I had some really dumb issue a year ago when I was deploying Windows 10 devices where they weren't picking up the timezone automatically but also wouldn't let users (non-admin) change the timezones themselves. Ended up setting the timezone with a Powershell script as a dirty workaround but would be good to know what that problem was.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Cross-posting from the small admin thread but I'm doing some *very* unofficial marketing research on IT professionals purchasing pipelines.

When you are purchasing an IT solution - let's say PAM solutions from someone like Bomgar, CyberArk, or Thycotic - do animated videos on websites help you actually get informed or make a decision? Are they something you can pass to your boss to help explain why you need something? If they aren't needed do you have a preferred way of getting info about a product from a website?

Just wondering as I do some of this work and often wonder how effective it is.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BonoMan posted:

do animated videos on websites help you actually get informed or make a decision? Are they something you can pass to your boss to help explain why you need something?

Nope, never. I prefer to read a whitepaper or something similar. Videos are the worst.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You can have videos, but if you don't have useful readable content, I'm going to skip over your product fast.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Videos are for non-technical people to make them feel good/think they know what the $product$ does, white-paper for the guys that need to implement/actually understand what $product$ does/doesn't do.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nope, never. I prefer to read a whitepaper or something similar. Videos are the worst.

The Fool posted:

You can have videos, but if you don't have useful readable content, I'm going to skip over your product fast.

MF_James posted:

Videos are for non-technical people to make them feel good/think they know what the $product$ does, white-paper for the guys that need to implement/actually understand what $product$ does/doesn't do.

Good stuff thanks (and the other thread is delivering as well).

I'm always interested in who the videos are for. I mean this specific client def has demos and whitepages... but when you first go to a product page. The animated explainer is front and center. And they aren't cheap to produce - so, while I don't want to take money out of my own pocket, they are a loyal client and I'd like to help refine their approach if it best suits them.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So, last question, but I'm going to pivot a second. If a client insisted on creating something a bit flashy for marketing purposes... would you prefer an animated explainer video or this type of animated infographic webpage: https://lucidworks.com/darkdata/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BonoMan posted:

So, last question, but I'm going to pivot a second. If a client insisted on creating something a bit flashy for marketing purposes... would you prefer an animated explainer video or this type of animated infographic webpage: https://lucidworks.com/darkdata/

It's slick/pretty, but still useless to technical people. Give me a whitepaper. It's the same category as videos for me.