Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've been asked by dev teams to "turn down the latency of the internet connection" so yeah I'd say a network-focused job is going to be fine until you hit retirement age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Tighten up the CN in OU Users

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Thanks Ants posted:

I've been asked by dev teams to "turn down the latency of the internet connection" so yeah I'd say a network-focused job is going to be fine until you hit retirement age

Dear IT, please figure out how to defy the laws of physics. TIA

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I once had a VIP tell me to call up T-Mobile and have them move a satellite closer to his house so he would get better reception.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

In my youth I was at a VP's house setting up his home office and he said that he would offer me a cup of coffee but he's going to drink it all.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

This reminds me of when I worked at an ISP and marketing asked how fast our packets travel in miles per hour so they could put big numbers in an ad. That was an all-timer, I thought our lead network engineer was going to have a stroke.

“Technically the speed of light I guess? But that is NOT how this works and has no bearing on customer performan—“

“Hot drat, the speed of light?!? Say no more, we’re printing the mailers”

closes laptop, heads directly to the bar

They put a pic of a stealth bomber on it and the speed of light in mph. I really wish I had kept a copy.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 11, 2022

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

GreenNight posted:

At my job one of our programmers wasn't getting his work done so my boss asked me to take him out of all mailing lists and disable his email so he has no distractions other than working on his projects.

drat, pretty sweet reward for not doing your work

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

He is a much better fixer of issues than getter doner of projects.

Just working on tickets would be a much better job for him.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I quit my toxic job, took a month off to go golfing and figure out my life and have just landed a new position in the public sector! :toot:

Don't let lovely companies boss you around, no job is worth your mental and physical health

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's so great to hear. Good for you!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
been a slow day so i've been "reading documentation" ie posting

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Internet Explorer posted:

That's so great to hear. Good for you!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

:yotj: Escaping the MSP rebadging disaster. hosed myself on negotiating but I'm still coming out slightly ahead. 100% remote and a tiny pay raise. I'll see how long I can string along the old job before I really need to eject. For now? Enjoy Hawaii in a few weeks before starting this new one.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Can i mention that Service Now is the most gawdawful piece of poo poo software out there for incident and change management? Terrible UI. All their focus has gone into great reporting for middle management drones and awful tools for us slobs who have to use it.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

MustardFacial posted:

I quit my toxic job, took a month off to go golfing and figure out my life and have just landed a new position in the public sector! :toot:

Don't let lovely companies boss you around, no job is worth your mental and physical health

You’re a badass, I am closing in on another year where I swore I’d hit the range and get back out on the course and Ive only played nine of the most cursed holes I’ve ever played

Cimber posted:

Can i mention that Service Now is the most gawdawful piece of poo poo software out there for incident and change management? Terrible UI. All their focus has gone into great reporting for middle management drones and awful tools for us slobs who have to use it.

It realllllyyyyyyy sucks rear end

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

George H.W. oval office posted:

:yotj: Escaping the MSP rebadging disaster. hosed myself on negotiating but I'm still coming out slightly ahead. 100% remote and a tiny pay raise. I'll see how long I can string along the old job before I really need to eject. For now? Enjoy Hawaii in a few weeks before starting this new one.

*bangs on desk*

YOTJ! YOTJ! YOTJ!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

tokin opposition posted:

been a slow day so i've been "reading documentation" ie posting

I call this external collaboration with industry peers to keep abreast of developments in the Information Technology industry.

aka poo poo posting in this thread with ya'll

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Cimber posted:

Ugh its sooooo bad for that. The only thing I've liked ServiceNow for in asset tracking, and ticketing. At least when I've worked with it before it seemed to handle both of those things well.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm not defending SNOW at all... but like any big enterprise software it's only as good as the people that implement it and the resources you give it. We have a massive team of people for SNOW and pretty much everything in IT runs through it. It does it's job and I think it's pretty cool how everything is integrated, and it integrates with with other tools like Password Safe.

I will readily admit though that not many companies are going to dedicate these kinds of resources to it, and I still have complaints about it. I feel it gets a bad wrap sometimes though.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

i am a moron posted:

I also don’t consider any part of k8s to be networking so if you’re having issue with scaling or whatever I don’t personally consider that the network and it would probably wind up being the devs problems because that happens and like you said they need retry logic

Network is very much a part of k8s

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Yea I don’t think so. It’s not traditionally what people refer to as networking, once it reaches an ingress controller that’s a k8s problem whether it’s related directly to the idea of packets moving from point A to point B or not

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

i've evolved beyond networks, i exist entirely in the cloud now

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

i am a moron posted:

Yea I don’t think so. It’s not traditionally what people refer to as networking, once it reaches an ingress controller that’s a k8s problem whether it’s related directly to the idea of packets moving from point A to point B or not

I mean, I’d push back on this because there’s everything the AWS CNI is doing. Would you not call that networking too?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

i am a moron posted:

You’re a badass, I am closing in on another year where I swore I’d hit the range and get back out on the course and Ive only played nine of the most cursed holes I’ve ever played

I talked about this a bit in the golf thread but I took a lesson at the very beginning of my month off (wanted to correct an attack angle issue on my irons) and it threw my swing off so much I've had to go to the range every single day since then to get back to hitting the distances and shot shapes I was able to before. On the plus side, my consistency has gotten better and I rarely hit it thin anymore.

i am a moron posted:

Overlay networks are still networks and deserve the same love and respect.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

i am a moron posted:

but you can specify where those packets go via k8s cni? So it's still networking.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Otherwise it's sparkling TCP

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Otherwise it's sparkling TCP

I could tell you a joke about UDP but i wouldn't care if you got it.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

jaegerx posted:

but you can specify where those packets go via k8s cni? So it's still networking.

The Iron Rose posted:

I mean, I’d push back on this because there’s everything the AWS CNI is doing. Would you not call that networking too?

Azure has the same concept so I’m familiar but it’s still part of the service at a really abstracted level beyond, like, typical route/switch. And I dunno, maybe if I thought about it more I’d agree. But I’d be more inclined to see that as part of k8s itself. It’s L7 but I’ve never looked at an app gateway or a load balancer and been like oh yea, I need to call net eng.

This is all just my opinion and I seem to be democratically incorrect so idk. I’m more of a platform person and I was thinking about it from a ‘would I blame the network’ perspective if it was hitting a service successfully and then having issues. I’ve very very rarely seen packet loss in the integration chain in terms of, say, a switch dropping packets or something dying in a vnet randomly.

MustardFacial posted:

I talked about this a bit in the golf thread but I took a lesson at the very beginning of my month off (wanted to correct an attack angle issue on my irons) and it threw my swing off so much I've had to go to the range every single day since then to get back to hitting the distances and shot shapes I was able to before. On the plus side, my consistency has gotten better and I rarely hit it thin anymore.

Jealous.

quote:

Overlay networks are still networks and deserve the same love and respect.

I bet these other folks don’t golf. I might take your word for it.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Cimber posted:

:golfclap:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

It might not even be L7 exclusively just ignore me I don’t know poo poo about kubernetes. If it’s sitting in a public cloud I still wouldn’t bet on it being networking issues strictly speaking

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

i am a moron posted:

It might not even be L7 exclusively just ignore me I don’t know poo poo about kubernetes. If it’s sitting in a public cloud I still wouldn’t bet on it being networking issues strictly speaking

You know you can restrict namespaces from talking to each other in basic k8s networking right?

Also DNS, k8s loves dns. Is dns networking?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Hell no DNS isn’t networking (in my opinion)

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

You don’t even need DNS for a network to work. We could just be using IP addresses. Think about that

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Everything is networking according to the end user, the developers, the sysadmins, the dbas, and my boss

Kubernetes is just orchestrated iptables. It's networking.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Sockets are networking, so everything on my machine is networking to each other.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Every time a bit flips that's networking

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Cimber posted:

Would you like to hear a TCP joke?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Networking is going to the bar. Whatever it is y’all are doing I want no part of it.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

George H.W. oval office posted:

Networking is going to the bar. Whatever it is y’all are doing I want no part of it.

You’d just be the guy by the plant sipping on 1 beer. That’s not networking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Agrikk posted:

I'd say yes, but I know I'm gonna just get a timeout error because I didn't respond in a timely manner.