Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Every switch maker should copy Junos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Thanks Ants posted:

HP/Aruba can mean
- ProVision (Procurve OS)
- Comware (3com/H3C acquisition)
- ArubaOS

I've only worked with the ProCurve line. It's very similar to IOS, but the way you tag VLANs to ports is backwards compared to Cisco - you put ports in VLANs in one system, and you tag VLANs onto ports in another. I can't remember which is which, I just press tab until it makes sense again.

Have a look at https://hpepress.hpe.com/product/ArubaOS-Switch+Comware+and+Cisco+IOS+CLI+Reference+Guide-PDF-18113

Between this and the fact a trunk means something VERY DIFFERENT from one to the other, I never got used to ProCurve either.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

YOLOsubmarine posted:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

This would actually be fine by me.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ChubbyThePhat posted:

This would actually be fine by me.

Yeah this

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sickening posted:

The vlanning is so dumb on that hardware that I want to throw it all in the dumpster.

Brocade does the same poo poo with editing the VLAN definition to add ports as tagged or untagged members. I've been working with it for almost 3 years now and it still seems backward and wrong.

It's pretty low on the Top 1000 Reasons Brocade poo poo Sucks list, but it's on there.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Ah poo poo a second offer has hit the inbox. I think I might take it. Slightly shorter drive (10-15 minutes) on a commute I was dreading (30-45 minimum) and an actual 401k with 5% matching after a year is big in my eyes. 7k less pay but I think I'd be happier long term. Supposedly bonuses and profit sharing.

Rescinding an accepted offer is going to suck.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Docjowles posted:

Brocade does the same poo poo with editing the VLAN definition to add ports as tagged or untagged members. I've been working with it for almost 3 years now and it still seems backward and wrong.

It's pretty low on the Top 1000 Reasons Brocade poo poo Sucks list, but it's on there.

Yeah this, also their trunk ports aren't the same as Cisco, they call Cisco trunk ports something different.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't think there's a concept of a switchport mode on a ProCurve - if you tag stuff onto the port then it's a trunk. If you want a port to have every VLAN tagged including VLANs added in the future then I am not sure that's possible like it is with IOS.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

stevewm posted:

I meant work with other phones as far as SIP goes. I've not tried to do any configuration with another one. BTW, You can add support for the GXP17xx series easily.. Under ZeroConfig, go to the Model Updates tab, find the GXP17xx model you want and click the download button in the Options column.
Holy gently caress I feel like an idiot, I didn't notice that list paged. :doh:

quote:

I've not messed directly with any of the Grandstream config files, only used ZeroConfig. Have you messed with P codes yet? They let you customize every single setting via ZC without having to manually edit config files.
Basically their config files are made up entirely of P codes, which is why I think they're insane.

code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!-- GXW42XX XML Provisioning Configuration -->
<gs_provision version="1">
<mac>DEADBEEFF00D</mac>
	<config version="2">
		<P855>0</P855>
		<P730>0</P730>
		<P694>97</P694>
		<P4877>5060</P4877>
		<P21669>5060</P21669>
		<P21544>1</P21544>
		<P24601>16</P24601>
		<P731>1</P731>
		<P695>0</P695>
		<P856>200</P856>
		<P4878>5060</P4878>
		<P570>20</P570>
		<P21545>1</P21545>
		<P21384>1</P21384>
		<P21420>1</P21420>
That's the first few lines of an XML config file exported from a Grandstream device, in this case a GXW4232.

This is a couple of lines from a config exported from a Yealink device, in this case my T46S:

code:
account.1.100rel_enable = 1
account.1.auth_name = <snip>
account.1.cid_source_ppi = 1
account.1.codec.12.enable = 0
account.1.codec.12.priority = 0
account.1.codec.12.rtpmap = 3
account.1.codec.g729.priority = 3
account.1.display_name = <snip>
account.1.enable = 1
account.1.hoteling.user_id = 0
account.1.label = <snip>
account.1.nat.rport = 1
Basically every phone I've ever used has used either a straightforward var = value format like that or reasonably named XML elements for their config, except Grandstream who does their nonsense.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't think there's a concept of a switchport mode on a ProCurve - if you tag stuff onto the port then it's a trunk. If you want a port to have every VLAN tagged including VLANs added in the future then I am not sure that's possible like it is with IOS.

Sort of this; it's when you untag a port that it becomes a trunk. If you actually make a "trunk" you've just created an LACP group (etherchannel on Cisco I think?). As for tagging every VLAN, I think you just have to add it manually every time you add a new one; I'm not 100% sure of this though.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Sort of this; it's when you untag a port that it becomes a trunk. If you actually make a "trunk" you've just created an LACP group (etherchannel on Cisco I think?). As for tagging every VLAN, I think you just have to add it manually every time you add a new one; I'm not 100% sure of this though.

An HP trunk group can either be an LACP link aggregate (shows as Dyn) or a statically defined LAG where the switch on each side just assumes the other is properly configured and load balances (shows as Trk). The second option is equivalent to a Cisco port channel with the mode set to on. The first is a Cisco port channel with the mode set to active or passive.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

An HP trunk group can either be an LACP link aggregate (shows as Dyn) or a statically defined LAG where the switch on each side just assumes the other is properly configured and load balances (shows as Trk). The second option is equivalent to a Cisco port channel with the mode set to on. The first is a Cisco port channel with the mode set to active or passive.

Yes. This. See, I still can't keep this poo poo straight.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If I were to take a job in DT San Fran hows the commute etc from affordable areas?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

If I were to take a job in DT San Fran hows the commute etc from affordable areas?

From Sacramento? Hell.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Define affordable. Feel free to ask in the SF thread, but with some more details: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032519

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Will do but a little shy of 6 figures

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Will do but a little shy of 6 figures

You can live in a dorm!
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/04/technology/dorm-living-grown-ups-san-francisco.html

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is the first week on my new job, things I have learned so far: ServiceNow is a powerful, unwieldy monster. They take information security seriously here: Leaving your screen unlocked, printing out confidential poo poo and leaving on your desk? One friendly reminder and after that straight up disciplinary action.
Also a nice touch, only managers can book meeting rooms, so far less issues with meeting room availability.

Only downside so far is the lack of plants in the office, I wonder if I can get a small bonsai tree for my desk here. Our parent company is Japanese so I'm sure they would appreciate it.

Sprechensiesexy fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 7, 2018

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

oof that's worse than hong kong

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

It's pretty amazing how they got rid of all of the SROs in San Francisco because they were full of poor people and then turned them into... SROs full of middle-class people.

oof that's worse than hong kong

I know several people who moved out to the Bay Area and they tried to talk me into doing it too because you can make "so much money" working in tech but gently caress no. I live in NYC and it's a shitshow here but it's so much worse in SF.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Aren't the dyn trunks ones that are created automatically, rather than a trunk with LACP turned on?

http://h22208.www2.hpe.com/eginfolib/networking/docs/switches/RA/15-18/5998-8161_ra_2620_mcg/content/ch04s07.html

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

I know several people who moved out to the Bay Area and they tried to talk me into doing it too because you can make "so much money" working in tech but gently caress no. I live in NYC and it's a shitshow here but it's so much worse in SF.
That's what I'm thinking. I'll ask if the salary can be bumped up to 150k but at that point we might as well just hire some homeless tech dude who's already there. I'm always saddened when I see my brother's kitchen in NYC and I can imagine not even having one wouldn't set me off into depression.

A very nice HK apartment with a good kitchen was only 3.5k a month. I don't get the bay area prices.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
lol you don't need 150k to live comfortably in the actual city of SF and have a super short public transit or walking commute....

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Look I need 150k to live comfortably with the coke and hookers I require.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

GreenNight posted:

Look I need 150k to live comfortably with the coke and hookers I require.

not empty quoting.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Ranter posted:

lol you don't need 150k to live comfortably in the actual city of SF and have a super short public transit or walking commute....
you don't need to worry about salary in any job market if you're planning on ODing at 35 and don't have any plans for the future

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vulture Culture posted:

you don't need to worry about salary in any job market if you're planning on ODing at 35 and don't have any plans for the future

That's what Jesus did right? And can you name a better example to follow than Jesus?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Sprechensiesexy posted:

That's what Jesus did right? And can you name a better example to follow than Jesus?

Dr. Rockso, but he might be an animated version of Jesus, who knows.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Interviewing at a Debian shop next week. I’ve always used Red Hat. Any tips on the major differences and possible trick questions the interviewers might throw at me?

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LochNessMonster posted:

Interviewing at a Debian shop next week. I’ve always used Red Hat. Any tips on the major differences and possible trick questions the interviewers might throw at me?

Didn't you :yotj: last week?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Didn't you :yotj: last week?

I did, I’m moving to a consultancy company and it’ll be my first interview at a client.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Imagine paying $2000 a month to live in one of these closets, and you are next door to someone with one of those yappy dogs.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Bigass Moth posted:

Imagine paying $2000 a month to live in one of these closets, and you are next door to someone with one of those yappy dogs.

"But I have to warm my leftover fish somehow," says the mousey guy over his shoulder as he moves towards the microwave.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I genuinely wonder what the suicide rates are like in San Francisco

I know if I had to deal with that poo poo I'd be doing my part to drive them up

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LochNessMonster posted:

I did, I’m moving to a consultancy company and it’ll be my first interview at a client.

Sounds like detachering. How did your no raise boss respond to your resignation?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Sprechensiesexy posted:

This is the first week on my new job, things I have learned so far: ServiceNow is a powerful, unwieldy monster. They take information security seriously here: Leaving your screen unlocked, printing out confidential poo poo and leaving on your desk? One friendly reminder and after that straight up disciplinary action.

Why would they not just policy or automate that screen-lock nonsense, rather than bait users into disciplinary action?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

hatelull posted:

Why would they not just policy or automate that screen-lock nonsense, rather than bait users into disciplinary action?

Setting the screensaver timeout to 1 minute would be pretty annoying. Telling people to lock their computers when they step away is hardly "baiting users into disciplinary action."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Inspector_666 posted:

Setting the screensaver timeout to 1 minute would be pretty annoying. Telling people to lock their computers when they step away is hardly "baiting users into disciplinary action."

I set ours to 5 minutes. The people who are going to police locked screens that closely are going to the kind of micro-managers I am not going to want to work with or for. A culture that encourages each other to mind their own loving business and staying off each others computers is more my jam. Deal with social issues when they pop up and then investigate if you need to.

I refuse to have a disciplinary meeting with an employee because he forgot to windows + L the day before and someone with nothing to better to do saw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I did a stint at the Aussie Department of Defence. They don't enforce 1 minute screensavers because that decreases productivity and is super loving annoying. We learned very quickly to lock our computers. Not locking and leaving your workstation is a Security Breach. 3 breaches and you're fired.