Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Okay, I'm sorry. Can we go back to arguing about clouds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Apple is in fact at about 7% of the market by unit shipments, but 14% by dollars. The margin is about the same for tablets, and they have a 3:1 ratio for phones.

https://www.statista.com/chart/8883/apples-market-share-phones-tablets-and-pcs/

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Internet Explorer posted:

Okay, I'm sorry. Can we go back to arguing about clouds?

Some clouds exist in harmony.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkeyV6lUwuU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

fishmech posted:

It's just as hard to do it for Windows, but again with so many more people using them there's way more chances to do so.

The main reason why Linux will have a hard time with viruses is the same reason that makes it "hard" to develop proprietary software for it: it's too drat fragmented. If you write and compile your program in your Ubuntu distro, odds are it will not even run on my Fedora, not to even mention CentOS.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

DigitalMocking posted:

One of our clients fell for a spoofed email and sent > 50k to "Our CFO Ms. Lisa" and was mad at us. :confused:

Can you send me his email address?

I think he's about to get contacted by the FBI's anti-fraud division. I'm sure once he gives them all the account info, they'll be able to help!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

DigitalMocking posted:

One of our clients fell for a spoofed email and sent > 50k to "Our CFO Ms. Lisa" and was mad at us. :confused:

This is a good reason to have good DMARC policies in place. If the recipient doesn't have an email service that checks how you want non SPF/DKIM compliant messages dealt with then that's on them. If they got an email from yourceo.company@gmail.com then I'm amazed they'd even try and mention it to you out of shame.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
It’s about 20% Macs in the US, and while writing viruses to spread spam was a big deal back on the day, things are more targeted now towards “juicer” targets. You know who uses Macs? NGOs, security folks, “richer” people. Lots of ”APT” is multi platform.

And the mob don’t want to cryptolocker some old XP machine in Vietnam, they want to target first world countries. So the reason why it still skews so bad is that windows patching is still not super fast and there are a lot of security holes for legacy reasons. And a lot of those system are bootleg anyways that never have seen an update in their life.

I don’t know where I am going with this, but it isn’t the same as it used to be, spam doesn’t drive as much revenue.

Also lmao if people are freaking out about the security of Bluetooth as compared to a windows machine on a network. One I need to be in the same room, the other I can get at from a world away by sending an email with hot “nudes”.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

fishmech posted:

That's really quite meaningless, we have the sales figures for computers going back decades. Like, do you think everybody's just been lying in their computer sales to fake Mac sales being a very low percent of the market, or what?

Sales figures are not directly equivalent to usage figures unless the lifecycle of every computer sold is exactly the same.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Sales figures are not directly equivalent to usage figures unless the lifecycle of every computer sold is exactly the same.

You are aware, that just to match the amount of Windows computers sold last year you would need more than all the Macs ever sold, right? Like literally if Windows computers only lasted for 12 months max and all macs lasted at least 34 years in use, the usage share of Macs versus PCs would still be majority in the favor of Windows machines.

And in the real world, Macs don't last nearly that long as usable machines and Windows computers last much longer. It's hardly uncommon to see people still using 10 year old Windows devices and it being good enough to not be replaced yet. And even if we're randomly going to factor things based on past Mac sales and the idea that they must last longer, that's just going to bring down the percentage we can expect to see in use today even worse. Because again, 12 years ago they were all the way down at 2% share. There simply aren't a lot sold, so there can't be a lot in use.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

And yet here I am having attended I guess 20 conferences in the last 2 years. Worked at 3 separate companies and yet Mac was the majority.

I guess I’m just picking the right conferences and places to work.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

jaegerx posted:

And yet here I am having attended I guess 20 conferences in the last 2 years. Worked at 3 separate companies and yet Mac was the majority.

Yeah your anecdotes don't trump the fact that Macs are a small minority of computers sold and in use. :shrug:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Whatever. Let’s fight over browsers now. Safari for ever.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

fishmech posted:

You are aware, that just to match the amount of Windows computers sold last year you would need more than all the Macs ever sold, right? Like literally if Windows computers only lasted for 12 months max and all macs lasted at least 34 years in use, the usage share of Macs versus PCs would still be majority in the favor of Windows machines.

I didn’t say otherwise. I simply pointed out that your data did not actually answer the question you were attempting to answer.

quote:

And in the real world, Macs don't last nearly that long as usable machines and Windows computers last much longer. It's hardly uncommon to see people still using 10 year old Windows devices and it being good enough to not be replaced yet.

This seems an awful lot like anecdotal “evidence.”

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I didn’t say otherwise. I simply pointed out that your data did not actually answer the question you were attempting to answer.

This seems an awful lot like anecdotal “evidence.”

It does answer it though. The amount sold directly influences how many can still be in use.

It's not. Just as it's not anecdotal evidence that all the original 1984 Macs sold definitely aren't still running.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

jaegerx posted:

When all you can go to is IT Nation, if you're lucky, and the pinnacle is Ignite... You're gonna have some confirmation bias issues.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

fishmech posted:

It does answer it though. The amount sold directly influences how many can still be in use.

It's not. Just as it's not anecdotal evidence that all the original 1984 Macs sold definitely aren't still running.

Yeah, the numbers back up Fishmech pretty well here. I'm willing to buy 20% of personal computers in active use in the US is around 20%, but that's an awful lot of caveats to cut non-Mac use down to only 80%.

For my own anecdotal evidence, I've been customer facing at a rather large MSP (upwards of 15,000 desks under support) and I feel comfortable saying that Windows is vastly, overwhelmingly more common in the corporate world, even just in the US.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

fishmech posted:

It doesn’t answer it. You can’t answer the question of how many currently in use computers are Macs versus PCs from that data. You can guess. You can estimate. But you can’t answer it.

“Macs don’t last as long as PCs as usable machines” is, well, completely made up, so I guess I was being generous calling it an anecdote when it’s really a fabrication.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
my personal laptop runs ubuntu. no gui.

lynx is all I need

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I code on an iPad.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Edit: Worldwide

That’s percentage of web use which is probably a pretty good metric for devices actually in use. Just because a million windows poo poo boxes exist doesn’t mean people use them.

And we’re being fishmech-ed

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 25, 2018

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

MANime in the sheets posted:

Yeah, the numbers back up Fishmech pretty well here. I'm willing to buy 20% of personal computers in active use in the US is around 20%, but that's an awful lot of caveats to cut non-Mac use down to only 80%.

For my own anecdotal evidence, I've been customer facing at a rather large MSP (upwards of 15,000 desks under support) and I feel comfortable saying that Windows is vastly, overwhelmingly more common in the corporate world, even just in the US.

Windows is overwhelmingly the desktop OS of choice in the US and around the world. I don’t think anyone argued that it wasn’t.

Im just tweaking Fishmech because he’s congenitally incapable of letting anything go and is the master of trying to win on mostly irrelevant technical detalia, and turnabout is fair play.

But my gut feeling is that Mac use is a little higher than its sales numbers indicate because Macs tend to hold their value well and be resold and reused for much longer than throwaway 400 dollar windows notebooks that make up a sizable portion of windows PC sales.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I mean if you want to be really pedantic the most common computing platform is Android.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

freeasinbeer posted:

I mean if you want to be really pedantic the most common computing platform is Android.

Uh. Nope. Busybox. Go look at your tv.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Actually I bet it’s Alpine right now thanks to containers.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It doesn’t answer it. You can’t answer the question of how many currently in use computers are Macs versus PCs from that data. You can guess. You can estimate. But you can’t answer it.

“Macs don’t last as long as PCs as usable machines” is, well, completely made up, so I guess I was being generous calling it an anecdote when it’s really a fabrication.

Yes it does answer it. It puts a hard cap on the figures. Again, even if we assumed every Windows machine broke within a year, and all Macs from all time were still around and functioning, Macs would still be a minority. You start even dialing things back so Windows PCs last 2 years and that's nearly half a billion out there vs all time Mac sales and Macs are already down to under a third out there. Say Windows PCs last three years and Macs of all time is under a quarter etc.

Congrats on getting angry at something you just made up, but it should hardly be controversial that not all Macs from literally 34 years ago are still functioning. Nor does that implicitly say that PCs last longer or whatever you think you were saying.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

But my gut feeling is that Mac use is a little higher than its sales numbers indicate because Macs tend to hold their value well and be resold and reused for much longer than throwaway 400 dollar windows notebooks that make up a sizable portion of windows PC sales.

Your gut feeling is wrong, because again, the sales numbers indicate they can't possibly be much higher than their current sales numbers. Because they were selling less Macs the year before last than last year, and they were selling less the year before that all the way back to 2006.

And well, if you before 2006 you're talking machines on PowerPC that struggle to load the modern web half the time dude to raw lack of power and paucity of updated browsers et al.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Have y’all ever gone to Burger King and had them tell you that you can’t have it your way? Apparently I can’t add 30 slices of cheese to my burger.

This is false advertising

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Im just tweaking Fishmech because he’s congenitally incapable of letting anything go and is the master of trying to win on mostly irrelevant technical detalia, and turnabout is fair play.

Yeah OK, carry on.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

fishmech posted:

Nor does that implicitly say that PCs last longer or whatever you think you were saying.

You literally said that Windows machines last longer than Macs as usable machines in the real world. You said that explicitly.

quote:

Your gut feeling is wrong, because again, the sales numbers indicate they can't possibly be much higher than their current sales numbers. Because they were selling less Macs the year before last than last year, and they were selling less the year before that all the way back to 2006.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3262974/apple-mac/macs-now-account-for-10-of-active-personal-computers.amp.html

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I work entirely in the cloud and my endpoint device is as meaningless as our existence on this earth

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

jaegerx posted:

Actually I bet it’s Alpine right now thanks to containers.

See but containers share a kernel, so it’s all one computer. Why you can’t trust em.

Also dammit don’t make me actually scrape dockerhub for some rough figures. Im now intrigued at how widespread it is.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
lol at this thread getting fishmech'd

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

SeaborneClink posted:

lol at this thread getting fishmech'd

I’m waiting for Alaska to throw some people off our overbooked flight so we can take off, so it’s a useful diversion.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

jaegerx posted:

Chances are if you are in a job where they pay you to go to conferences, you’re a dev/manager/exec and you can buy whatever laptop you want

Accounting departments and warehouses and call centers don’t run on Macs

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

CLAM DOWN posted:

I work entirely in the butt and my endpoint device is as meaningless as our existence on this earth

Cloud to butt extension wins again.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’m waiting for Alaska to throw some people off our overbooked flight so we can take off, so it’s a useful diversion.

Walk up to the counter, ask for the voucher and take the next flight.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

SeaborneClink posted:

Walk up to the counter, ask for the voucher and take the next flight.

They’re offering 800 bucks, so I wish I could, but I need to get home tonight and the next flight is tomorrow.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You literally said that Windows machines last longer than Macs as usable machines in the real world. You said that explicitly.

No I didn't. You seem to have issues comprehending text. You might want to try to quote it, but you're going to have a hard time quoting the voices in your head.

Those sorts of stats are just estimates, and as the article mentions they vary widely between vendors. Most of them derive their stats only from placing tracking things on a small selection of websites.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Ive got a goldfish

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

As long as we’re talking about poo poo that doesn’t matter i thought I’d let y’all know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Why would anyone want a goldfish?