Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I used the Linkedin guy and it was instrumental at getting a lot of recruiters - legitimate ones with legitimate roles that mostly match my background and location - to contact me via Linkedin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MJP posted:

I used the Linkedin guy and it was instrumental at getting a lot of recruiters - legitimate ones with legitimate roles that mostly match my background and location - to contact me via Linkedin.

The one through RTI? I think it's only something like $50 for past customers, so I've thought about doing it to increase my signal to noise ratio for InMails.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Quick question, first time doing a real interview process and salary talk. Is it kosher to ask about salary range before a 2nd interview? I already met with the hiring manager and desktop team. I am now meeting with their CIO.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

jim truds posted:

Quick question, first time doing a real interview process and salary talk. Is it kosher to ask about salary range before a 2nd interview? I already met with the hiring manager and desktop team. I am now meeting with their CIO.

Absolutely. It is better to be on the same page regarding compensation early rather than wasting people's time if you are not in the same ball park.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I am hot garbage at cover letter writing so I've considered just posting a job description on Craigslist and letting the cover letters come to me.

psydude posted:

The one through RTI? I think it's only something like $50 for past customers, so I've thought about doing it to increase my signal to noise ratio for InMails.

I gave the LinkedIn service to my girlfriend and after looking at it it's just a broken up resume in each of the relevant sections. If you have the money go ahead but I would say it's one of their weaker services

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 23, 2015

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

quote is not edit

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Tab8715 posted:

I knew a few of you have but I'd like to get a little more detailed. How many of you have used Resume2Interviews? Is it worth ~$300?

I used them, got the first job I interviewed for. I am terrible at resumes, so I basically just let them drive it.

I don't send cover letters.

Spend the extra scratch for the fast turnaround. It's all a negligible amount of money against what you're hoping to earn.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

SaltLick posted:

I am hot garbage at cover letter writing so I've considered just posting a job description on Craigslist and letting the cover letters come to me.

I gave the LinkedIn service to my girlfriend and after looking at it it's just a broken up resume in each of the relevant sections. If you have the money go ahead but I would say it's one of their weaker services

That's all it is, plus signing you up for groups. Not worth it.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

SaltLick posted:

Im glad Im not the only one who considered this. During my last job search I honestly considered posting a job description for what I was trying to apply to to gauge the current level of competition and get ideas on cover letters/resumes. I ended up not because it felt kind of sleazy.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I have considered doing the same a bunch of times but it feels super sleezy.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I feel like you might regret this given that I'm also interested in this, even though I'm happy where I am and think I will be for some time.
Alternatively, this is a clever plan for you to get a bunch of resumes and be like "Your resume looks great! Also, I have a position you might be interested in..." :getin:

I am happy to give these a once over and will do it as quickly as possible as long as you understand I can't promise 2 hour turnaround. But I can typically review/critique a resume in a matter of minutes.

As far as placing you goes, I only really work on roles in Richmond/DC so unless you're in those areas I probably can't help.

Alexander, send it over too. And got your email, Wu.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dark Helmut posted:

As far as placing you goes, I only really work on roles in Richmond/DC so unless you're in those areas I probably can't help.
Sure, I was not being completely serious in case that didn't come across. In all seriousness it's very cool of you to take a look for people.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

In all seriousness it's very cool of you to take a look for people.

Seconded! Also, I sent you a PM, Helmut :v:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

jim truds posted:

I have considered doing the same a bunch of times but it feels super sleezy.
I usually enlist recruiters to do sleazy things for me since they're used to it.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

psydude posted:

Negative, there's another goon that does it. He's in SA-Mart somewhere.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

evol262 posted:

You're a smart guy, and don't you have military experience? And a clearance? You can do better

Yeah what the gently caress? Go be a contractor in a skiff somewhere. Rake in money/free training. Put that clearance to work.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yeah what the gently caress? Go be a contractor in a skiff somewhere. Rake in money/free training. Put that clearance to work.

My current job and my last job were both contracted positions requiring a clearance. Being a direct-labor contractor for the Federal Government leaves you with most of the negative aspects of being a federal employee (coworkers that are overwhelmingly risk averse or stagnant, glacial decisionmaking and procurement by management, and odd union rules) with none of the positives (you have poor job security, you run into odd contractual boundaries prohibiting you from doing the best thing, and you have no protection against workplace abuse perpetrated by feds and contractors from other companies). My company isn't too bad (they offer decent benefits and provide opportunities to move between assignments), but there's also the fact that many government contractors (General Dynamics, Lockheed, etc.) are notorious for treating their employees like cattle. That being said, your pay is usually much better than your federal counterparts.

Many consulting firms, resellers, and vendors that deal with the government in a non-direct-labor capacity still require security clearances because of the nature of their relationship with clients. And they generally pay better.

psydude fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 23, 2015

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Yea, I made more working for vendors and resellers than I ever did working as a cleared contractor. People here seem to overestimate how lucrative those positions are, in general. They can also be deadly dull, and the perks vary wildly from contractor to contractor. You may have a great training budget or none. Some of the subs on the last contract I worked in required employees to pay for their own certification exams required to keep their jobs, which is asinine.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

evol262 posted:

Let me know how to turn on RDP from a VMX so I don't need the console, pls.

Only the VMX? Attach a bootable DVD that has a network/remote access enabled, flip the setting. Can I touch the VMDK? Attach the VMDK to another VM that you already have RDP access to and turn it on. Use a group policy in AD. Enable it in the provisioning process. Turn it on in the node's Puppet manifest. Use the Windows EMS and the CLI. Use WinRS. SSH in using the cygwin sshd. Use vmware guest console out of labs to run the command to enable it.

(most of these are terrible.)

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
I'm still feeling my way around my new job and the limits of what I can really do on my own authority, but the CFO of the bank I work for just dropped a bomb on me today with asking me to just not go over $10k a piece for two new Windows 2012 standard servers for an application our bank uses. I'm not particularly experienced with administration positions like this or anything, but that number seems amazingly high. I have a vendor I know to talk to for ordering new hardware/software and their prices are significantly under that number so I'm just kind of at a loss as to why he's giving me such a huge budget to spend on something that isn't that expensive? Unless I'm really misunderstanding something or something else is going to trip me up later that I'm not aware of?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

FaintlyQuaint posted:

I'm still feeling my way around my new job and the limits of what I can really do on my own authority, but the CFO of the bank I work for just dropped a bomb on me today with asking me to just not go over $10k a piece for two new Windows 2012 standard servers for an application our bank uses. I'm not particularly experienced with administration positions like this or anything, but that number seems amazingly high. I have a vendor I know to talk to for ordering new hardware/software and their prices are significantly under that number so I'm just kind of at a loss as to why he's giving me such a huge budget to spend on something that isn't that expensive? Unless I'm really misunderstanding something or something else is going to trip me up later that I'm not aware of?

Why are you inferring he knows how much it'll cost?

Edit: Have you added in all the extras you might need, ILO/DRAC, CALs etc?

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Why are you inferring he knows how much it'll cost?

Edit: Have you added in all the extras you might need, ILO/DRAC, CALs etc?
He worked in IT for several years as a DBA of some sort and he approves all of our orders for any hardware. He also did the job that I have now for around a year on top of his current job, and only hired me because his son was born and he wanted to spend time at home in the afternoon.

From what I understand the vendor handles all of our licensing needs and I get regular audit reports every 4 weeks for any changes in licensing that we need to pay for/approve.

vvv
Okay. That does sound sensible.

FaintlyQuaint fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 23, 2015

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

FaintlyQuaint posted:

He worked in IT for several years as a DBA of some sort and he approves all of our orders for any hardware. He also did the job that I have now for around a year on top of his current job, and only hired me because his son was born and he wanted to spend time at home in the afternoon.

From what I understand the vendor handles all of our licensing needs and I get regular audit reports every 4 weeks for any changes in licensing that we need to pay for/approve.

Just because he was a DBA doesn't mean he has any idea what hardware costs. Also, he may want/expect any support contracts to be up-front (as opposed to monthly) so they can be written off as cap-ex instead of op-ex.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Also, do you know what the requirements of this app are? Maybe it's some behemoth SQL DB that needs half a terabyte of RAM. Probably not, but it's another option.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
Have a quick ethics(?) questions when it comes to accepting jobs offers.

I have a standing job offer I accepted back in November but I am still in the middle of a very convoluted background check and have received very little feedback on its status. I found another job that is closer to home (1 hour vs 10 mins) with similar pay in the same field. I have an interview scheduled with this second job. How bad would it be if the second job made me an offer and I retracted my acceptance from the first job?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Are they paying you?

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Docjowles posted:

Also, do you know what the requirements of this app are? Maybe it's some behemoth SQL DB that needs half a terabyte of RAM. Probably not, but it's another option.
The requirements are very modest.

vvvv
Alright. This feels kind of silly taking notes and everything, but it seems like good advice and I can always talk my way through everything I need with the vendor/Google until my eyes bleed to make sure I understand everything I need. Thanks!

FaintlyQuaint fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 24, 2015

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

FaintlyQuaint posted:

The requirements are very modest.

Over-spec the build but not excessively so. Make sure you get all the support for as long as you expect it to hang around, get all the ILO/Drac licenses.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sacred Cow posted:

I have a standing job offer I accepted back in November but I am still in the middle of a very convoluted background check and have received very little feedback on its status. I found another job that is closer to home (1 hour vs 10 mins) with similar pay in the same field. I have an interview scheduled with this second job. How bad would it be if the second job made me an offer and I retracted my acceptance from the first job?

This is all my personal opinion, but -

In a normal offer-to-hire window (about a month), I'd say that no, doing something like this isn't really kosher and should only be done in extreme circumstances.

Given that it's been almost 3 months, I don't think it's at all outside of the realm of decency for you to try again to get some concrete feedback - you could include something like that you are "attempting to make some financial decisions that will be impacted by my employment status." If they don't respond to that, then I'd say it's pretty reasonable to accept another job. At the very least it's certainly not unethical.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sacred Cow posted:

go3 posted:

Are they paying you?

You can bail at any time. I had an offer that was squandered away because I admitted to criminal behavior on a polygraph examination. Nothing is guaranteed.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

SaltLick posted:

You can bail at any time. I had an offer that was squandered away because I admitted to criminal behavior on a polygraph examination. Nothing is guaranteed.

What job are you applying to that requires a polygraph?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

cryme posted:

I did, albeit briefly. Didn't care much for it.

I'm looking at digging into care alerts a little for my job. From what I've seen so far, it looks clunky and archaic as hell.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Sickening posted:

What job are you applying to that requires a polygraph?

I was going to add to this by asking what place who would use nonsense like that for hiring, but then I remembered that I've been turned down for a job because of my Myers-Briggs personality type. They were going to hire me, but then HR had me take a personality-type quiz. Put a stop to hiring me because they "I.T. already has too many INT-Js on staff."

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Hughmoris posted:

I'm looking at digging into care alerts a little for my job. From what I've seen so far, it looks clunky and archaic as hell.

Nailed it on the head (McKesson?). Limited functionality. Rules engine in our current system is way more powerful.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Hungry Computer posted:

I was going to add to this by asking what place who would use nonsense like that for hiring, but then I remembered that I've been turned down for a job because of my Myers-Briggs personality type. They were going to hire me, but then HR had me take a personality-type quiz. Put a stop to hiring me because they "I.T. already has too many INT-Js on staff."

Serious question: Are you a member of any protected class? That sounds so ridiculous that it sounds more like a way to not hire someone for being Black or Gay or Muslim and avoid a lawsuit.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Hungry Computer posted:

Put a stop to hiring me because they "I.T. already has too many INT-Js on staff."

What's the deal with STEM or IT with INTJs?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Serious question: Are you a member of any protected class? That sounds so ridiculous that it sounds more like a way to not hire someone for being Black or Gay or Muslim and avoid a lawsuit.

Nope. It was a small start-up and the sole HR person had recently taken a course about personality types and took it very seriously. I took 2 different quizes, I assume to confirm the type.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Hungry Computer posted:

Further proof that HR is completely useless

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

PCjr sidecar posted:

Only the VMX? Attach a bootable DVD that has a network/remote access enabled, flip the setting. Can I touch the VMDK? Attach the VMDK to another VM that you already have RDP access to and turn it on. Use a group policy in AD. Enable it in the provisioning process. Turn it on in the node's Puppet manifest. Use the Windows EMS and the CLI. Use WinRS. SSH in using the cygwin sshd. Use vmware guest console out of labs to run the command to enable it.

(most of these are terrible.)

We both know that you should be deploying with answer files (Windows), kickstarts, or templates. But "I just SSH into the hypervisor and use the cli... and the Windows ADK/SIM or a .wim or WinPE or the AD console or install cygwin or..." isn't a real answer anyway :eng99:

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Don't you have a purchasing person? I'd look at the recommended hardware requirements for the app, go to your vendor rep, and give your CFO a quote. Pretty cut and dry.

Sacred Cow posted:

I'm going to take the opposite stance of the goony posters who believe you should treat all corporations as faceless monsters with whom an adversarial negotiation is necessary. Reach out to them and see where the process is. They probably told you it was a convoluted process anyway. See if they can give you a interim clearance. It's not unethical to take another offer, but it's bad form from you which will get your offer rescinded and possibly get you blackballed from that company/recruiter.

On the other hand, it's my general take that continuing to interview in this case is unethical. Three months is long. Much longer than any background check that I've ever had, including working for large financials in sensitive positions. But you accepted a conditional offer of employment. If they called you tomorrow and said "we continued interviewing candidates to see if we could find somebody better, and we're rescinding your offer" you'd be livid. The company you're going to isn't a person (except in the legal sense). But your prospective boss and the hiring manager are, and they're going to think you're a dick, with reason. If you'd started there two months ago, would you still be entertaining offers?

Talk to them and let them know that you're getting antsy and you'd like an update. Let them know that if it's going to take much longer, you may need to back out, because it's way longer than you thought it would be, or whatever. But be as transparent as you can. And don't go interviewing with other companies in the meantime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.

Hungry Computer posted:

Wait, isn't it illegal to turn down someone based on their personality type? I'm not a lawyer but I would think that doesn't comply with the equal opportunity federal laws. I'm assuming you're in the states. Funny because I have yet to work with any INTJs in IT. Most have been ENTJ, ENTP and other types. SA Forums are heavily INTJ. It's not surprising considering that NT types naturally have an affinity for technology. We're the tool makers :)