Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

psydude posted:

Do you work out of one of the corporate offices, or on a client site? It seems like the corporate offices offer a bit better mobility just due to the variety of projects they undertake and the contact that the various teams have.

Client site. They used to be excellent at internal apparently and they're trying to get back into it (I was involved in the recent workforce planning surveys and they showed us tons of stuff in the follow up regarding it). If their plan works it'll be better in the next year but it's promised results with zero mechanisms to achieve their goal. Doesn't mean they can't, but it's underpants gnomes right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

I find this pretty fascinating. I've seen bits and pieces of this trend from gluster and nutanix and glance/cinder and hdfs and whatever, but I don't see enough of the picture to realize it was an industry trend. I'd assumed that some workloads (let's say SQL) still fit best into a traditional storage model, and it's a little amazing to hear that relatively unoptimized ssd arrays can outrun I/O heavy applications. I'm so used to disk being the bottleneck, or at least the trickiest optimization

Definitely a 5 star post.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

evol262 posted:

I find this pretty fascinating. I've seen bits and pieces of this trend from gluster and nutanix and glance/cinder and hdfs and whatever, but I don't see enough of the picture to realize it was an industry trend. I'd assumed that some workloads (let's say SQL) still fit best into a traditional storage model, and it's a little amazing to hear that relatively unoptimized ssd arrays can outrun I/O heavy applications. I'm so used to disk being the bottleneck, or at least the trickiest optimization

Definitely a 5 star post.
Just like with spinning disk, the capacities are increasing an order of magnitude faster than the read/write speeds, so I'm sure the performance need is going to be unmet again half a decade down the line.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MJBuddy posted:

Client site. They used to be excellent at internal apparently and they're trying to get back into it (I was involved in the recent workforce planning surveys and they showed us tons of stuff in the follow up regarding it). If their plan works it'll be better in the next year but it's promised results with zero mechanisms to achieve their goal. Doesn't mean they can't, but it's underpants gnomes right now.

Biggest shift I heard in the teleconference is that they're going to consider internal applicants before external applicants, which is the right move. The biggest shortcoming I noticed (to bring it back to the careers thread in general), is that they want to establish this sort of "career track" system without appointing career managers. Having someone at HR to act as a liaison and advocate for people would probably do a lot more for retention than anything else. Bigger organizations like Microsoft, Accenture, and the military do this, and it seems to work. But as it stands right now I'm fairly certain we're going to lose the recompete for this contract, and corporate hasn't discussed any kind of contingency plan for options on movement post-contract.

psydude fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 25, 2015

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

psydude posted:

Biggest shift I heard in the teleconference is that they're going to consider internal applicants before external applicants, which is the right move. The biggest shortcoming I noticed (to bring it back to the careers thread in general), is that they want to establish this sort of "career track" system without appointing career managers. Having someone at HR to act as a liaison and advocate for people would probably do a lot more for retention than anything else. Bigger organizations like Microsoft, Accenture, and the military do this, and it seems to work. Because as it stands right now I'm fairly certain we're going to lose the recompete for this contract, and corporate hasn't discussed any kind of contingency plan for options on movement post-contract.

There's supposed to be a track manager under each of the job categories, but how the management actually works is still ??? to me, at least.

If your contract is large, finding a new position success works better, because the recruiters focus more on major contract drops. But smaller projects (mine) are basically you on your own or your PM bothering HR for your team.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Misogynist posted:

Just like with spinning disk, the capacities are increasing an order of magnitude faster than the read/write speeds, so I'm sure the performance need is going to be unmet again half a decade down the line.

SSD sizes would need to increase 1000-fold to reach the IOPS to capacity ratio that spinning disk is at right now. We probably won't see 1.6 PB SSDs any time soon, so there's still plenty of room to grow without throwing the ratio all out of whack again. SSD performance is also increasing as new generations of controllers are released and new cell technologies are discovered and commoditized. There are still physical limits, but they aren't nearly as hard as the limits on spinning media due to rotational latency.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 25, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
We just need to make really really big rotating disks in the hard drives.

Just picture something like this, but under your desk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7gKbk0jyyM

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Evidently, being a network admin also makes me the guy who needs to explain how cable tv connections for fitness equipment should work to a lot of people. Has anybody in this thread dealt with cable tv connections (specially Comcast) in a fitness center environment (where it goes to the tvs built-in to the equipment) before? I don't need to install it, I'm just trying to find a good overview of how it works conceptuallyand what a generic installation might look like (like what will the installation company do with the mini mDTAs and where are those installed)? I think the tech who's doing the install had everything he needs and we've ordered all the correct things but I need to say something that is mostly truthful to get people to leave me the gently caress alone and stop asking me about this every 30 minutes.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

tadashi posted:

I need to say something that is mostly truthful to get people to leave me the gently caress alone and stop asking me about this every 30 minutes.

"I am a network admin, you need to talk to someone who works with audiovisual equipment."

(Sorry, no idea about that sort of stuff.)

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Since there's some folks in this thread who aren't in A Ticket Came In, I was at a convention this past weekend in DC that had table flipping for charity. For a few bucks more, they'd set the tables up with laptops amongst other stuff. When I asked them for all the laptops and all the tables they could give me, they offered to give me a hammer and 90 seconds on 'em for a few bucks more.

What followed was the complete venting of 10 years of professional IT.

They should do this at VFW halls or something.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
That would have been better if it had printers instead of laptops.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS8e-oEq0-s

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Haha gently caress me, my master's program is making me retake Data Structures in Java, which I haven't used in any meaningful capacity in like 6 years. I think I'll be living in CoC for the next 4 months.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

psydude posted:

I think I'll be living in CoC for the next 4 months.

Well, if that's the way you swing....

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

psydude posted:

Haha gently caress me, my master's program is making me retake Data Structures in Java, which I haven't used in any meaningful capacity in like 6 years. I think I'll be living in CoC for the next 4 months.

Have you used any other OO language during that same period? If so , I doubt the language minutia is going to give you any problems.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Che Delilas posted:

Have you used any other OO language during that same period? If so , I doubt the language minutia is going to give you any problems.

Well, it depends on whether it's all generics and interfaces.

I guess if you've been using C# or C++ in the middle (maybe Rust) it won't give problems. Even jumping from ruby or python to a typed language might be jarring

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Che Delilas posted:

Yeah, I've been using Ruby and Python.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
:edit: I should really loving read posts before replying.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

MJP posted:

Since there's some folks in this thread who aren't in A Ticket Came In, I was at a convention this past weekend in DC that had table flipping for charity. For a few bucks more, they'd set the tables up with laptops amongst other stuff. When I asked them for all the laptops and all the tables they could give me, they offered to give me a hammer and 90 seconds on 'em for a few bucks more.

What followed was the complete venting of 10 years of professional IT.

They should do this at VFW halls or something.

Live the dream, man. How much did this set you backnet for charity?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
$175. They had the Tech Support package for $40 - a table with a place setting, some cereal and other stuff on it, and the right to flip it. I'd been wanting to do the flipping for months now, and I was prepared to drop a good amount of cash on as many tables that they could set up in terms of quantity. Then I saw the package list and just said "I'd like three of those." They didn't quite grasp that I wanted three individual settings, not a stack of two tables and a third to flip. Then when they figured out I was in it for venting, they said "Tell you what, $175 gets you three fully set tables with three laptops, a hammer, and 30 seconds per table."

It was worth every penny and it's even tax deductible. They gave me some gaming stuff that I didn't really care about and gave to my brother-in-law and some friends at the con. Pins, some kind of light-up d20, and a Portal turret flashlight.

Unfortunately they had no sound system, so "Still" was not on the menu.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

psydude posted:

Yeah, I've been using Ruby and Python.

Okay yeah, those are a bit different, but you mentioned having used Java 6 years ago. May want to go through a quick tutorial to brush up on the syntax but I don't think you're going to be too lost.

And as you said, there's always CoC.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

Did..... did they forget to take out the toner cart?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

CaptainJuan posted:

Did..... did they forget to take out the toner cart?
It wouldn't have been nearly as satisfying without the magic black smoke

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I pity the poor IT guy whose company buys up the scrap and demands it be connected and up and running by EOB.

Vendictus Prime
Feb 28, 2013

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Anyone have an opinion on whether CBT Nuggets or Pluralsight is best for studying up on getting Cisco cert materials?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Vendictus Prime posted:

Anyone have an opinion on whether CBT Nuggets or Pluralsight is best for studying up on getting Cisco cert materials?

CBT Nuggets by far, PluralSight is bored flight attendant.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Do any of the cloudy folks in here have recommendations for cloud conferences to attend? Preference is for something on more general cloud concepts rather than specific technologies. I have a customer that's asking since his work wants to send him to one, but doesn't know which one.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

NippleFloss posted:

Do any of the cloudy folks in here have recommendations for cloud conferences to attend? Preference is for something on more general cloud concepts rather than specific technologies. I have a customer that's asking since his work wants to send him to one, but doesn't know which one.

The only one I've attended is the OpenStack Summit. Which is very OpenStack-specific and I would not recommend unless you really want to go deep down that rabbit hole.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

This is an oddball, has anyone gone through a 8pm to 8am shift? Three days on, three days off, two days on, two days off.

Wondering if this would be possible or if I'd go insane...

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Rotating shifts are TERRIBLE for you. Health, sanity, literally everything

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Is there stuff to do overnight? Or is it like monitoring or something

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Tab8715 posted:

This is an oddball, has anyone gone through a 8pm to 8am shift? Three days on, three days off, two days on, two days off.

Did nearly that exact same shift for a year (7p to 7a instead, same days on/off though) and pretty much never got any decent sleep and working 12 hour shifts meant on the days I worked it was pretty much work, go to sleep, then go back to work. It was terrible.

If you like the work and don't have problems sleeping during the day then it wouldn't be so bad.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tab8715 posted:

Ignore the on/off schedule for a moment and ask yourself: Can I work well for 12 hours straight? I don't know what kind of work you do; if you're just piloting a help desk phone you might be able to do it, but as a developer I know I just run out of mental gas after about 8 hours and get very little done after that.

If you do it, just make sure you keep a consistent schedule on your off days. If you're waking up at 7:00PM for work and sleeping at 11AM, make sure you do that on your off days. Your life will be a night life or you will surely go insane.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Literal death is more significant than spiritual death. Don't work 8PM -8AM on an on/off schedule thanks and god bless

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Seriously don't do it, you will regret it for the rest of your life because it's a time machine, you'll wake up one day and realize a year has past and you have no significant memories of any of it, you're just a year older.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

I started my career this way. In ops. I'm guessing you won't be in dev or admin. I was 4 on, 3 off, 2 on, 5 off, but I loved it. Totally doable. Great schedule.

It helped that none of my friends had "real" jobs and they were all up and out at 2 anyway. And that the job let me touch pretty much whatever project I wanted, starting small, of course. I wouldn't have done it for helpdesk.

YMMV

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Tab8715 posted:

I currently work 8pm Sat to 8am Sun and 8pm Sun to 8am Mon, then I work Midnight on Mon to 8am on Tues and Midnight Tues to 8am Wed.

It loving wrecks you. I had the option of doing 3-12's and then 3-12's and an 8 and I turned that poo poo down immediately. 2-12's are bad enough, but if I had to work a 3rd 12 in a row I'd be a loving dead man. It's nice to have Wednesday evening through Friday evening/Saturday morning, but it's not enough to compensate for the shift.

Unless they are paying you something like a 50% shift differential/weeknight hardship bonus stay the hell away from it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Aren't you still on the overnight shift?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
So I'm debating temporarily becoming a contractor again. I guess it's best described as a contract-to-hire position. A local firm is picking up ex-coworkers as contractors until their hiring resumes in Q2. They are offering less hours with a 30% pay bump with a promise to hire full time in Q2. (The downside is there's nothing in writing about the hiring part and there can't be due to some issues I can't discuss.) My current job has become insufferable and while stable, it's not looking good and I want out. (We're also in process of being acquired, again.) Our CEO has gone crazy and is taking the business down with him. I'm debating between holding out for the stock options/bonus and then jumping (March), or start contracting Feb 1st. It's a tough choice and honestly, if my math's right I'll make more in the three month interim due to the pay bump then my stock is worth. My ex-coworkers are happy and are trying to get me to leave my current position and join them. One of them has known the CIO for years and trusts him. The company is going through it's own pains though- consolidating offices and growing the local staff base. There's a huge IT audit going on and I think I will try and hold out until that mess is over. They're also the only other local firm who is interested in the HPC work I have spent my last three years specializing in.

So let's say I do something crazy, outside of the following what am I forgetting?
Federal Taxes
State Taxes
Medical/Dental
Parking
Roth IRA

It still comes in at $3k more a month take home then I make now. (No 401K though, not sure I can contribute?)

Hurm....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

the spyder posted:

So I'm debating temporarily becoming a contractor again. I guess it's best described as a contract-to-hire position. A local firm is picking up ex-coworkers as contractors until their hiring resumes in Q2. They are offering less hours with a 30% pay bump with a promise to hire full time in Q2. (The downside is there's nothing in writing about the hiring part and there can't be due to some issues I can't discuss.) My current job has become insufferable and while stable, it's not looking good and I want out. (We're also in process of being acquired, again.) Our CEO has gone crazy and is taking the business down with him. I'm debating between holding out for the stock options/bonus and then jumping (March), or start contracting Feb 1st. It's a tough choice and honestly, if my math's right I'll make more in the three month interim due to the pay bump then my stock is worth. My ex-coworkers are happy and are trying to get me to leave my current position and join them. One of them has known the CIO for years and trusts him. The company is going through it's own pains though- consolidating offices and growing the local staff base. There's a huge IT audit going on and I think I will try and hold out until that mess is over. They're also the only other local firm who is interested in the HPC work I have spent my last three years specializing in.

So let's say I do something crazy, outside of the following what am I forgetting?
Federal Taxes
State Taxes
Medical/Dental
Parking
Roth IRA

It still comes in at $3k more a month take home then I make now. (No 401K though, not sure I can contribute?)

Hurm....
The informal contract-to-hire situation is likely to get your employer flagged by the IRS, unless their intention is to retroactively classify you as W-2 and back-pay the taxes they owe. Without that piece of paper, if the IRS sees someone earn income in the same calendar year for the same company as both a contractor and an employee of the company, it is immediately going to put them on the audit shortlist. Since the rules change a few years ago, the IRS has become very, very aggressive about employees being misclassified as contractors. When that happens, you're likely to be pulled into that, and may be audited yourself.

A 30% pay bump to become a contractor is a slight decrease in spendable income. An average company pays out over 20% of the cost of an employee in benefits, and for decent positions, that number can easily approach 30-35% with fringe benefits like pre-tax flexible spending accounts for healthcare and transportation. You're very likely going to pay far more for your insurance as an individual, and receive far worse coverage, than if you were receiving the group rate of a company that can bargain on behalf of a large pool of employees. Since you said "again," I'm assuming you're familiar with the IRS requirements for quarterly earnings estimates as a 1099 and you're willing to put up with the bullshit to get those filed appropriately.

Have fun, I guess?