Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thanatosian posted:

Never take the counteroffer.

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sepist posted:

What are you guys using for reverse proxies on windows? Just using IIS with rewrite or is nginx solid on windows?
HAProxy on a pfSense VM back when I had to do this

IIS is fine if you literally don't need it to do anything besides rewrites, but the server-layer flexibility just isn't there for a lot of complex use cases

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sepist posted:

IIS with rewrite

I use this.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Sepist posted:

What are you guys using for reverse proxies on windows? Just using IIS with rewrite or is nginx solid on windows?

I use IIS.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sepist posted:

Web Application Proxy

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Haha motherfucker, the network is being blamed again. Now the surveillance company (axis) is blaming the wireless bridge, saying the increased latency is causing the camera to buffer it's UDP streams! What!!!!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm not even a network guy and know enough to laugh at that bullshit

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
People tend to know the least about networking. As such, all problems are the network and you are the wizard that knows how it works.

Seriously though I hate the attitude of "it's not my problem" with no troubleshooting done to substantiate that claim. gently caress right off.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I work primarily in networking with a heavy emphasis on wireless and that is the most infuriating part of my job, which I otherwise really enjoy. Very few people who don't work in networking understand it at all past the extreme rudiments, and wireless is even worse because it's so much more complicated, as well as being more difficult to gather and interpret information on. Everyone just assumes it should work perfectly even though it's basically black magic that it works at all. The worst part is that when you do waste a ton of time visiting a location to test, despite the fact that nothing has changed from the setup that has worked well for years except for the user devices, and provide evidence that all of the wireless infrastructure is doing what it's supposed to, they come back and say "... well, it MUST be the network." That's not how this works, guys. If you have something that you think I forgot to test, great, I'm all ears. But you don't just get to blame me with no evidence at all.

Lots of things look like wireless network problems but aren't. But everyone likes to blame the wireless network because it's easier to point fingers than to fix the real problem.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I was being blamed for months up until a few days ago for wireless clients losing connectivity at all kinds of different sites with zero proof besides 'they cant access internet,'. That turned out to be something in windows causing people's laptops to set the network type as 'unidentified' on random days. Shockingly, no mobile devices were ever affected. I have no idea why Windows does that poo poo but at least in W7 you could manually change the network type, but I guess in 10 you can't do that :psyduck:

dont get me wrong, our wireless network is a piece of poo poo that has all sorts of random problems, but we're also using out of support WAPs because we have a bunch of 7925 phones that don't support WPA, so we need to use WEP for the voip network lol.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Back when we where first building out our IP cam systems (using Vivotek cameras). Obviously we tried to use UDP with the thought of slightly less traffic. Right away started having issues with the NVR software saying the camera had no video randomly, but you could clearly see the camera spewing UDP packets towards the server. After many rounds of trouble shooting, we switched all the cameras to TCP; problem solved!

Our setups are likely less complicated than yours. We typically have 30 to 45 2MP IP cameras per branch location and they all eventually end up on a dual gigabit link to the NVR server. Each location has its own NVR, we don't feed back to a central location or anything.

To save headaches however we stick to a single brand of IP cams, and use the manufacturer's provided software. Our preferred manufacturer provides their NVR software (https://www.vivotek.com/vast2) free of charge if only used with their cameras. And their software is actually quite good.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Does AWS have full remote positions?

I got contacted by a recruiter for a position that sounds interesting but it seems to be for a team in a different country. I’m not in a position to relocate so I was wondering if full remote is common or pretty much a no go.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tetramin posted:

I was being blamed for months up until a few days ago for wireless clients losing connectivity at all kinds of different sites with zero proof besides 'they cant access internet,'. That turned out to be something in windows causing people's laptops to set the network type as 'unidentified' on random days. Shockingly, no mobile devices were ever affected. I have no idea why Windows does that poo poo but at least in W7 you could manually change the network type, but I guess in 10 you can't do that :psyduck:

It's right here to change the network type:

Thing is when you get the "unidentified network" error it almost always means the computer failed to properly configure itself via DHCP, or that it was properly configured but has lost the ability to communicate with the gateway. So the network type is unrelated to that error. Windows will default to treating an unidentified network as you have set it to deal with "public" networks i.e. disabling file and printer shares, but normally in that case you're not able to access any file and printer shares you wanted to get at in normal conditions.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

I got contacted by a recruiter for a position that sounds interesting but it seems to be for a team in a different country. I’m not in a position to relocate so I was wondering if full remote is common or pretty much a no go.

I think some of the TAM / Solutions Architect type customer facing roles can be remote. But involve a bunch of travel within your assigned region which may or may not be any better than having to relocate. Just search their career ports, there’s hundreds of jobs labeled “work from home”.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
It really depends on the team.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

It seems like most of the Sales Engineers and Professional Services consultant type people I deal with all work from home. They also all have dogs. Dogs that bark on conference calls and WebEx meetings. So many dogs. They also never have good headsets or speakerphones.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Guilty on all fronts. My dogs only bark during conference calls

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

LochNessMonster posted:

I go into the office maybe once a month and we have folks working where there are no offices at all, so yes 100% remote is possible.

Go ahead and apply. Multiple times if you are rejected the first time. Tenacity is rewarded here.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Like, I understand that sometime being muted when you try to talk is an issue, but not being muted when you're not trying to talk causes everyone else so many more issues. Mute your poo poo.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Mute should be your default position. Start the call on mute. Unmute to introduce yourself. Back on mute until you need to speak.

How is this so hard?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Imagine a walkie talkie with a push-to-listen button.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sepist posted:

Guilty on all fronts. My dogs only bark during conference calls

It’s probably them hearing dozens of ghosts and trying to warn their masters?

We don’t deserve dogs.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

My dogs bark on calls too but I don’t mind it cause it informs people on the call that I’m probably laying in bed without pants on and they’re stuck in an office.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
good meeting clients let you start everyone on mute when they enter the room

also i encourage my dog to bark because i am passive-aggressive

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

There are tools in Skype for Business, Team and that other client by LogMeIn that will mute the audience by default. Of course, they are buried in sub-context menus!

If only the developers would make it where for large groups it auto-muted everyone by default!

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
My dogs explicitly wait until they hear the webex unmute sound to bark

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sepist posted:

An goode dogges.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
my bosses wife came in and yelled at him last night during some after hours work, then it was just constant sound of crickets on the conference call... i guess she made him go outside in like 35 degree weather? do crickets even come out this time of year?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Tetramin posted:

my bosses wife came in and yelled at him last night during some after hours work, then it was just constant sound of crickets on the conference call... i guess she made him go outside in like 35 degree weather? do crickets even come out this time of year?

What (who) had he done?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone have a particularly good idiots guide to SNMP? I have to make a script to make a PDU do stuff, and have never messed with SNMP before.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I have a phobia of dogs, and appreciate their efforts to occasionally inject a tremendous amount of adrenaline into the druggery of a conference call.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
Nothing more infuriating than hearing someone breathing into their mic, let alone hearing the open office chatter. Luckily, anyone in SfB can mute others (at least in our setup). But then they fumble with the physical mute switch while people are trying to tell them they're muted on Skype instead.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Defenestrategy posted:

Anyone have a particularly good idiots guide to SNMP? I have to make a script to make a PDU do stuff, and have never messed with SNMP before.

The S part of snmp is a lie

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Sepist posted:

Pavlov would be so proud.

Defenestrategy posted:

I've never seen a guide, but typically the hardest part of any SNMP is actually finding the right OID that does what you think it does.

GetIf is a thousand year old tool for windows that really helps walk SNMP trees and there are zip files of MIB collections out there.

What are you trying to do and in what language are you doing it?

FWIW: SNMP in general, and write communities specifically, are notoriously insecure. If you are planning on using a script to manipulate hardware, or do anything other than pull monitoring data, you should find another way to do what you are trying to do.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 21, 2019

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I don't think I've ever thought about manipulating things via SNMP, only used it for data collection.

Fortinet can eat a bag of dicks (I otherwise generally like their products!) for changing the layout/context of their SNMP randomly. Upgraded some firewalls a minor revision and a fuckload of my monitoring blew up because they decided to no longer use certain OIDs and instead use other ones; it was a major annoyance.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Ps. I’m still not wearing pants

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Agrikk posted:

What are you trying to do and in what language are you doing it?

FWIW: SNMP in general, and write communities specifically, are notoriously insecure. If you are planning on using a script to manipulate hardware, or do anything other than pull monitoring data, you should find another way to do what you are trying to do.

Boss wants me to make a script to turn a PDU off and on repeatedly for testing a widget or something, hopefully I could use bash or something, but again I have no clue what I'm doing and google fu'ing using SNMP for thing yields not great looking tutorials.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Defenestrategy posted:

Boss wants me to make a script to turn a PDU off and on repeatedly for testing a widget or something, hopefully I could use bash or something, but again I have no clue what I'm doing and google fu'ing using SNMP for thing yields not great looking tutorials.

Use GNU expect if you can SSH into these things or they have any sort of interact cli.

Here's something I do to control PDUs

code:
    while IFS=$\n read -r line; do
      echo $line

/usr/bin/expect << EOF
        spawn  ssh -v -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -o KexAlgorithms=+diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 -o HostKeyAlgorithms=+ssh-dss admn@${powerbar}
        expect "assword: "
        send "password\r"
        expect "Switched PDU: "
        send "off ${line}\r"
        expect "Switched PDU: "
EOF
      sleep 2
    done < ${switch}.txt

Methanar fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 21, 2019

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

Have you checked to see if the PDU has a command line utility somewhere? or an API?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Methanar posted:

The S part of snmp is a lie

A good post. Also the "L" in LDAP.

SNMP is anachronistic in 2019 in how it works but it's also not THAT bad and is unfortunately still super common. See if your vendor publishes a MIB file, which will make it slightly easier to find the info you want. From that MIB, figure out what series of bullshit numbers (OID) the thing you want to access lives under. Create the script to read or write from it, and then never think about it again.

There's SNMP libraries for whatever language you prefer to script this in. Or just do it from Bash with snmpset / snmpget / snmpwalk.

This post is in no way an endorsement of SNMP; merely acceptance that it exists and is often the only way for interacting with terrible embedded controllers like PDUs. I spent a lot of time writing automation for a WISP to program both customer and backbone devices via SNMP writes because it was better than their APIs so I have some PTSD around this.

Edit: I'd also argue that "expect" sucks rear end and is roughly on the same level as snmpset in terms of fragility and inscrutability. So pick your poison. This take comes from the same WISP automation job heh.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 21, 2019