Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Self-employed..300kish last year, probably around the same this year. I do security consulting for a lot of SMBs and wireless architecture/engineering for one of the big old investment banks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

What aspect of it? I helped introduce k8s here and setup the pipelines we use to deploy to it. Unfortunately I’m not a dev by any means.

Are there positions out there for sysadmins but uh, only for container workloads? Or what?

Knowing what containers and k8s is a start. Redhat is hiring open shift guys like crazy.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sepist posted:

Self-employed..300kish last year, probably around the same this year. I do security consulting for a lot of SMBs and wireless architecture/engineering for one of the big old investment banks

How much of that is overhead like insurance and taxes?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

new job is 95K as an MSP Systems Engineer (official title might be senior systems engineer? I dunno) + bonuses based on personal and team performance every quarter which will likely be a few %, live in Chicago but my office is in the burbs.

Prior to this my job was Network/Systems admin, was at 67.5k

MF_James fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 17, 2019

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

George H.W. oval office posted:

80,000 in Houston. Doing senior admin level work apparently. I'm the most knowledgeable server guy here now. Previous senior guy just left and doubled his salary. I think I'm gonna try and do the same.

Uhh where? I always figured breaking 6 figures for Sr Windows stuff was really hard outside of consulting.

jaegerx posted:

165k San Antonio. Remote. You gotta get in on this container racket. It’s great

Killing it. I make half that and with our cost of living in San Antonio live very comfortably. My wife has a nice career as well so that helps too.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

A bit short of 90k as a senior security engineer for a mssp in Chicago. I feel ridiculous having that title compared to what I read a lot of y'all doing in the thread, but we all know titles are fairly arbitrary.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

The Fool posted:

How much of that is overhead like insurance and taxes?

Very little overhead. I have 2 million E&O insurance which is $1,500 a year. For taxes I put 35% to the side and just let the CPA handle the numbers. My business account ends up in the black after all that is accounted for

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

skipdogg posted:

Uhh where? I always figured breaking 6 figures for Sr Windows stuff was really hard outside of consulting.

Oil and Gas babyyyyyy

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Sepist posted:

Very little overhead. I have 2 million E&O insurance which is $1,500 a year. For taxes I put 35% to the side and just let the CPA handle the numbers. My business account ends up in the black after all that is accounted for

Why did you decide on two million? I have 1 million E&O for my consulting side business (I didn't know that to pick so I chose the default).

Salarychat: I grossed $36,000 from my side business (pre-tax) and my 2019 total comp (salary plus RSUs) was $240,000 as a technical account manager in Seattle.

skipdogg posted:

I was making $120k to start and eventually 150k as a Senior Windows Architect in San Francisco two jobs ago and I was on a team who all made roughly the same (excel spreadsheet mis-email strikes again!). This was a permanent position.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 17, 2019

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I’m a Senior Windows guy focusing on AD and everything that touches it, domain migrations, auditing and backups etc.

I’m at 80k plus 5% bonus right now. A grade promotion this year is likely which would get me to 88k plus bonus.

The perks are why I stay though. WFH, 28 days PTO, paid training, paid trip to MS Ignite, and a ridiculous health plan. Work is very flexible, I’ve never missed a parent teacher conference, doctors appointment or school function for the kids. It’d be hard to leave this job voluntarily for anything less than 100k and 15 days vacation. If I lost it, of course I’d take what was out there.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
I'm at 58k in Chicago doing application support (2yrs experience, in-house web/mobile app with ~50k active users). Which I think is pretty good? But I want to move into product management, just not at my current company because the product group is a catastrophe.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
110k as a security engineer doing DevSecOps. Haven't been here a year so I don't know what raises look like. I'm not in a city so cost of living is cheap.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
$50k + bonuses + profit sharing, MSP + VoIP jack-of-all-trades, Cleveland/Akron area, work from home 100% unless a customer site visit is required. My commute is 36 steps from bed to rear end-in-chair. Underpaid on paper but the owner treats us like literal family which while definitely a double-edged sword has been more beneficial than not over the years.

Part of me still wants to try to find something new, but the other part of me realizes I'm very unlikely to find another job where I have the same leeway with both scheduling and what I can do. I get out of bed at 8:45 AM and basically do nothing but stop at the throne and feed my cat between waking up and starting work. I once cursed out a C-level at Qwest during a conference call and was backed up by all levels of management. I've also done everything from designing a cloud PBX platform to setting up X-ray machines. Anything else seems boring and restrictive by comparison.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 17, 2019

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Windows Systems Administrator for a university in Michigan. Base is ~$68k but I make another $4kish from the on-call stipend. Wish my base salary was higher but benefits are really good: 25 days PTO/yr which is bankable up to 10 weeks, and after your first year of employment they will match your 5% retirement contribution and then double it.

Also proud of all you goons sharing salary info. :shobon:

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
60k In Northern NJ doing high tier helpdesk. Def not the norm but I negotiate well

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
Solutions Architect, financial services, remote. I travel between 10-20% to clients and the main office.

~130k base + bonus, yearly or so I get about $70k of RSUs thrown at me.

I do hybrid cloud things, and for the last half a year I've been cosplaying a developer on a skunkworks project that is about to come to fruition. It's going to be a gamechanger and I'm very excited about where things are heading.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Zotix posted:

So I'm looking to switch careers into IT, and I just got my A+ cert Friday. Before I go for net+ or security +, I'm thinking of really learning powershell. However, that seems a bit challenging on a non domain version of Windows. Is my best bet setting up a VM with an Enterprise copy of Windows?

Stand up an O365 Tenant for yourself, buy one E5 account (20/month) and go to town. Exchange online, Skype, Teams, all of it, right there in your powershell world.

pre:
Step 1: Follow the instructions here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/enterprise/powershell/connect-to-office-365-powershell to connect to the office 365 PowerShell by installing the following modules:

(Open PowerShell as an Administrator)
Install-Module -Name AzureAD
Install-Module MSOnline

Step 2: Download and install the "Microsoft Online Services Sign-In Assistant for IT Professionals RTW" (make sure you get 64 Bit)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=28177

Step 3: download and install the "Skype for Business Online Connector Module"
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/Sk...nline-connector

Once you've done that, now it's time to connect to connect to AzureAD, then connect to SkypeForBusiness Online, then import the SFBO commands.  This must be done with a tenant administrator account that has rights to AzureAD as well as Teams and Skype for Business Online.
(use your Azure domain admin account you made for yourself) 
You can get super lazy and just use a script like this to get access to all of the main commandlets at once:

code:
$orgName="contoso.onmicrosoft.com"
$credential = Get-Credential
Connect-AzureAD -Credential $credential
Import-Module MSOnline
Connect-MsolService -Credential $credential
Import-Module SkypeOnlineConnector
$SFBOSession = New-CsOnlineSession -Credential $credential -OverrideAdminDomain $orgName
Import-PSSession $SFBOSession -allowClobber
$exchangeSession = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri "https://outlook.office365.com/powershell-liveid/" -Credential $credential -Authentication "Basic" -AllowRedirection
Import-PSSession $exchangeSession -DisableNameChecking
Also: Network and Security Manager, $122k + 7% of salary profit share, Pacific Northwest

DigitalMocking fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 17, 2019

sinequanon01
Oct 20, 2017
Architect/Automation Lead downtown Chicago $125k

Small data center design, network architecture, puppet, ansible. I help our devs with application architecture and do a lot of datacenter consolidation projects. Severely understaffed team where I routinely work 55hrs/week.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
We're 80% done with integrating the company we bought in January.

Board is in the office today, CFO is in Texas with the bankers, bunch of new suits I don't know walking around with the CEO.

gently caress.

We just needed 30 more days and we'd be ready(readier?) for the next one.

Ah well, I'm going to mexico for a week, I'll deal with it when I get back.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

DigitalMocking posted:

We're 80% done with integrating the company we bought in January.

Board is in the office today, CFO is in Texas with the bankers, bunch of new suits I don't know walking around with the CEO.

gently caress.

We just needed 30 more days and we'd be ready(readier?) for the next one.

Ah well, I'm going to mexico for a week, I'll deal with it when I get back.

Hah. I support like 7 legacy domain environments that we can’t decommission for reasons

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

skipdogg posted:

Hah. I support like 7 legacy domain environments that we can’t decommission for reasons

We went scorched earth this last one, it was a smaller company, 70 people, 3 offices.

Tore everything they had out, all their infrastructure, replacing 80% of their laptops/desktops in May. Last step is retire their domain in May when I kill their Shoretel system.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
SRE, work from home. Regular trips to the US for work things is a nice benefit, especially in the winter.

120k USD. 160k in CAD which is less exciting than it sounds because I don't magically get 1.3x as much money just from the currency exchange. I'd actually be better off if I lived in the US

Everything you'd buy in Canadian dollars is going to be closer to 1.4x the price of the American equivalent. Having a big number of weak money is mostly a bad thing because it just means I pay an absolute poo poo ton of personal income tax. :canada:

I also own like 350k shares of stock because ground floor baby. Its not worth much today, but maybe one day

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 17, 2019

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

60k in Seattle as a Senior Support Technician for an unnamed company. But I am working on leaving and my resume coach says I am rather underpaid so that number should be going up soon.
It is good to talk about salaries, and healthy. It helps people understand how much their bosses are screwing them.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

SRE, work from home. Regular trips to the US for work things is a nice benefit, especially in the winter.

120k USD. 160k in CAD which is less exciting than it sounds because I don't magically get 1.3x as much money just from the currency exchange.

Everything you'd buy in Canadian dollars is going to be closer to 1.4x the price of the American equivalent. Having a big number of weak money is mostly a bad thing because it just means I pay an absolute poo poo ton of personal income tax. :canada:

I also own like 350k shares of stock because ground floor baby. Its not worth much today, but maybe one day

You should spend some of that income on classes about personal finance, so you stop idiotically thinking of your income solely as relative to a foreign currency. Add some tax classes to that too.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

You should spend some of that income on classes about personal finance, so you stop idiotically thinking of your income solely as relative to a foreign currency. Add some tax classes to that too.

maybe

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I would give up a pretty healthy chunk of income for some not hosed healthcare

while true
Apr 17, 2019
$100K base (with benefits, $125K), Senior Linux admin and niche SME, light management. Large public university, Midwest. 40 days PTO.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
60k a year as a NOC tech, doing nothing but generating 2-3 tickets a night and having other people do all the real work because the NOC isn't allowed to assist for fear of "missing an alarm while troubleshooting".

At least I have plenty of free time to study with. :smith:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

skipdogg posted:

The domain that far too many of the research systems are on is a set of amazingly legacy Server2k3 VMs. Microsoft has told us in no uncertain terms that if any of those DCs don't come up from a reboot to not call them. Some things even premium support dollars can't buy.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

mllaneza posted:

$60k, Bay Area (rent control !) doing OpsEngineering (scripting and virtualization projects) at a biotech. I could be making more money (lovely MSP between my pockets and theirs), but they leave me alone to play with kvm, Powershell, and bash all week.

I'm right outside of San Jose and I'm making 10k more than you as a Sr. Helldesk guy.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
65K GBP perm public sector devops 27 days holidays and all overtime is at least time and half 0 on call

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

while true posted:

$100K base (with benefits, $125K), Senior Linux admin and niche SME, light management. Large public university, Midwest. 40 days PTO.

how you do spend 40 days pto

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

39K GBP, mix of cross-platform sysadmin stuff (using a home-brewed Linux CM system, JAMF, and AD) and development. Large university in Scotland, 35 hour weeks and 40 days holidays (including public holidays), no overtime or on-call.

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 17, 2019

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Man, all this wage chat makes me feel like poo poo. £34k a year in the NHS as a senior network engineer. Imagine being able to own a house :negative:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
A recruiter sent me this unbelievable offer:

Oh. So, your company earns at least 20% on a placement, working out to $28,000 on an SRE with a $140k salary. You want me to open up my network, expose my credibility for an employer I don't know and can't vouch for, while you have nothing to lose in this equation. You want me to do that for <7% of your employer's take at the till.

Even at their most well-intentioned, headhunters are scammers.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Man, all this wage chat makes me feel like poo poo. £34k a year in the NHS as a senior network engineer. Imagine being able to own a house :negative:

Wage stagnation with ever-spiralling property prices is the situation in the UK, it sucks. I'm not living there any more, but I still get emails from recruiters with offers that would have been only OK 10-12 years ago, no joke

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 17, 2019

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

About €50k, public sector helpdesk in Denmark. 30 days of vacation a year, 37 hour work week, paid lunch break.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Agrikk posted:

Why did you decide on two million? I have 1 million E&O for my consulting side business (I didn't know that to pick so I chose the default).

2 million was a requirement from the bank, I originally had 1 million E&O

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Ditto. 37.5K GBP here as a Senior Application/Informatics Analyst for a major EHR in a South East (not London) NHS hospital. In plus side, 33 days PTO plus public holidays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
95k/year, 4 weeks PTO and 2% 401k match, general IT problem solver at a public institution. All of my coworkers are on ~120k/year, but I don't particularly mind since the job is pretty cushy.

I also do consulting for my last place and that varies wildly based on how often I want to work, I think it totaled like 8k last year maybe? I worked just enough to say that I made six figures, basically.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 17, 2019