Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You can get a fully loaded macbook pro for way less than that and it's significantly more powerful. Or an air, or any other apple product.

I don't even know what the target market is for that thing, other than people who really only want desktop, have far too much money, and don't want any space taken up under the desk or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
The last Mac Pro release was Dec 2013, at which time it was sorta impressive but still slightly overpriced. Now they have other machines out with better performance.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

evol262 posted:

AFAIK, the examination doesn't check your command history at all, just whether or not the system is configured correctly, and ifconfig still handles almost everything iproute2 can do (network namespaces aside), and service transparently does "systemctl enable ...", so it should be fine.
There's also that cool thing where you waste hours trying to troubleshoot your Corosync/Pacemaker config just to discover it's been working fine all along but your ocf IPaddr2 virtual address doesn't show up in ifconfig

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

KillHour posted:

I like Ubuntu better, TBH. Actually, I like WIndows 8 better, too.

Windows 8 is incredibly jarring and I was really disappointed the whole "metro" theme failed. Windows 10 is better but I still prefer OS X. I don't mind Ubuntu but I'm still stuck with Microsoft because computer games :v:

JHVH-1 posted:

The last Mac Pro release was Dec 2013, at which time it was sorta impressive but still slightly overpriced. Now they have other machines out with better performance.

I'm shocked with how long Apple goes on selling older hardware for such a premium when pc's already have the next chip.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Tab8715 posted:

I'm shocked with how long Apple goes on selling older hardware for such a premium when pc's already have the next chip.
They're still cruising along on that "but Macs are so much more stable and trouble-free" line from back when VIA KT133 chipsets were standard in bargain-basement PCs.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

KillHour posted:

I know that people have a thing about Macs, but it's going to be obsolete in 3 years, just like any other workstation, anyways. I just don't see it.

What are the specs?

Xeon E5 12 core 2.7 with 64 gigs of RAM. User was demanding MORE POWERRRRR so I specced out an HP desktop that supported dual CPUs. I was going to get him something like 24 cores for barely more money and he decided it would be too loud so he went for the Mac.

His stats work is critical so the CEO had already gotten involved to say "Get him whatever he wants" and he wasn't kidding. Paid for the Mac Pro and dual displays on his own credit card.

Having recently revived three of the old Mac Pros that weigh a goddamn ton it was a pleasure dealing with this new one.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
They're still a pretty neat piece of kit but overpriced as all hell. I never want to hear a Mac office say "we can't afford that".

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I think it would be interesting if Apple had put the ports on the bottom of the case, so that you could drill a hole in the desk and have it really be seamless.

EDIT: You could also countersink the case and oh man that would be pretty.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 19, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

I think it would be interesting if Apple had put the ports on the bottom of the case, so that you could drill a hole in the desk and have it really be seamless.

You may as well just strap the bare motherboard to the bottom of the desk, at that point.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Just make a desk that is a desktop. The iDesk.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Bhodi posted:

I don't even know what the target market is for that thing, other than people who really only want desktop, have far too much money, and don't want any space taken up under the desk or whatever.

Early adopters? :colbert:

IIRC when I was shopping for PC cases they had a pyramid-shaped ones. Is it supposed to be more space efficient? I kinda understand the basic cube mini-cases but not so much the other one.

My friend bought his GF's macbook and I asked him if noticed any significant improvements. He did say they had a nice touchpad. Later on he confessed it cost too much for him to develop iOS apps and now it's a glorified 2nd screen. idek.

Apple is already a Lifestyle brand nowadays no need to be competitive.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm pretty shocked nobody's done a custom skin of *nix and created their own boutique brand, yet.

Seems like something Lenovo or ASUS would do.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.

Inspector_666 posted:

Can't counter sink it too deep, the usb/power/peripherals are all located near the bottom of the case.

mewse
May 2, 2006

KillHour posted:

I'm pretty shocked nobody's done a custom skin of *nix and created their own boutique brand, yet.

Seems like something Lenovo or ASUS would do.

Asus tried back around the eeePc days and it was as clunky and horrible as you might imagine

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mewse posted:

Asus tried back around the eeePc days and it was as clunky and horrible as you might imagine

Yes, but they tried to actually put it on the eeePC, which was the biggest (okay, littlest, whatever) piece of poo poo.

Edit: I just realized I was describing a Chromebook.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

KillHour posted:

They called it "Mac OS 10"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

evol262 posted:

poo poo, I was going to make this joke.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

evol262 posted:

I meant nobody else.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

KillHour posted:

I meant nobody else.

It's a lot of work. There are lost of complaints you can make about walled gardens, but Apple's is really goddamn nice inside. ASUS makes good money now without having to worry about all of the software headaches that they get to shove off onto MS.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

It's a lot of work. There are lost of complaints you can make about walled gardens, but Apple's is really goddamn nice inside. ASUS makes good money now without having to worry about all of the software headaches that they get to shove off onto MS.

I never claimed it was a great idea. I'm just surprised nobody's tried it. I guess Microsoft kind of is now, with their self-branded hardware. And Google, with their Chromebooks. And Amazon.... Alright, fine.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

KillHour posted:

I meant nobody else.

NeXTStep had a couple of enormous advantages as a base. They controlled the kernel, most of their frameworks had/have no equivalent on other operating systems (NS*), the language was obscure, and it already had some uptake from vendors (mostly Adobe at that point).

When combined with the extremely simple structure of Carbon and Mac OS Classic applications (which also didn't run anywhere else), Apple could write a pretty small compatibility layer and bring everything from their old ecosystem in. And nobody else could.

When you talk about skinning *nix (I'm assuming you mean Linux here, since nobody would want to skin AIX, and BSD isn't actually "UNIX" at this point anyway, but we can lump it in anyway because that's just not paying money), there's almost no API or framework you can use which locks users into your particular boutique. And it's licensed in such a way that you'd have an extremely hard time doing that even if you wanted to. In theory, you could base off FreeBSD and make noncompatible changes to BSD libc (or some other core component) that link into your compiled, obfuscated library, but this isn't a thing on Linux. So users could just copy your files off and run them on any non-boutique distro they wanted. It's a losing proposition, and none of the (Windows) applications you want to use run anyway.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

evol262 posted:

NeXTStep had a couple of enormous advantages as a base. They controlled the kernel, most of their frameworks had/have no equivalent on other operating systems (NS*), the language was obscure, and it already had some uptake from vendors (mostly Adobe at that point).

When combined with the extremely simple structure of Carbon and Mac OS Classic applications (which also didn't run anywhere else), Apple could write a pretty small compatibility layer and bring everything from their old ecosystem in. And nobody else could.

When you talk about skinning *nix (I'm assuming you mean Linux here, since nobody would want to skin AIX, and BSD isn't actually "UNIX" at this point anyway, but we can lump it in anyway because that's just not paying money), there's almost no API or framework you can use which locks users into your particular boutique. And it's licensed in such a way that you'd have an extremely hard time doing that even if you wanted to. In theory, you could base off FreeBSD and make noncompatible changes to BSD libc (or some other core component) that link into your compiled, obfuscated library, but this isn't a thing on Linux. So users could just copy your files off and run them on any non-boutique distro they wanted. It's a losing proposition, and none of the (Windows) applications you want to use run anyway.

I don't mean carbon copy the walled garden approach from Apple. I mean skin a Linux distro to be as idiot-proof as possible (*cough* Ubuntu *cough*) and leverage the existing ecosystem from that with a nice application storefront. There's no reason to lock people into your kernel if you just want to sell the hardware for beaucoup bucks to people that are too cool for Windows, or whatever.

Google did it with the Pixel.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Just make a desk that is a desktop. The iDesk.

I was going to make fun of this, but then I thought why isn't this actually a thing? (Sans Apple)

A purpose built desk with self contained modular components rather than a metal box kicking around, interface and power ports ingrained above and below the desk material. It would be pretty bitchin' compared to stuffing boxes and cables all over the place.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Super Slash posted:

I was going to make fun of this, but then I thought why isn't this actually a thing? (Sans Apple)

A purpose built desk with self contained modular components rather than a metal box kicking around, interface and power ports ingrained above and below the desk material. It would be pretty bitchin' compared to stuffing boxes and cables all over the place.

FYI this is already a thing

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bhodi posted:

You can get a fully loaded macbook pro for way less than that and it's significantly more powerful. Or an air, or any other apple product.

The target market for the Mac Pro USED TO BE people who needed an expandable Mac. Which it was, since it used to be a regular large case with normal slots and poo poo to put your expansion cards in.

This latest model on the other hand? Your expansion opportunities are pretty much "choose some custom graphics cards and ram configuration at purchase, and everything else has to be expanded using thunderbolt peripherals".

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

KillHour posted:

I don't mean carbon copy the walled garden approach from Apple. I mean skin a Linux distro to be as idiot-proof as possible (*cough* Ubuntu *cough*) and leverage the existing ecosystem from that with a nice application storefront. There's no reason to lock people into your kernel if you just want to sell the hardware for beaucoup bucks to people that are too cool for Windows, or whatever.

Google did it with the Pixel.

Google did not do it with the Pixel, or any other Chromebook. Google took a distro (which distro doesn't matter, but it's currently kind-of Gentoo, though it wasn't always) and wrote their own non-X11-compliant compositor which breaks every fundamental tenet of X and runs Chrome directly on top of it with hardware compositing. Every single application you can use is rendered with Chrome, because they're all webpages. They are not "leveraging the existing ecosystem" in any way, and virtually nothing from the Linux ecosystem (nothing that relies on X, anyway) will work on ChromeOS even if you enable developer mode, unless you install something like crouton which puts a compliant X-server on and runs it outside of ChromeOS's compositor, which is way too jarring for users.

This is great for Google, because they want a platform which only needs to run Chrome. This is a terrible strategy that doesn't work for any company which isn't also an application vendor.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

evol262 posted:

Google did not do it with the Pixel, or any other Chromebook. Google took a distro (which distro doesn't matter, but it's currently kind-of Gentoo, though it wasn't always) and wrote their own non-X11-compliant compositor which breaks every fundamental tenet of X and runs Chrome directly on top of it with hardware compositing. Every single application you can use is rendered with Chrome, because they're all webpages. They are not "leveraging the existing ecosystem" in any way, and virtually nothing from the Linux ecosystem (nothing that relies on X, anyway) will work on ChromeOS even if you enable developer mode, unless you install something like crouton which puts a compliant X-server on and runs it outside of ChromeOS's compositor, which is way too jarring for users.

This is great for Google, because they want a platform which only needs to run Chrome. This is a terrible strategy that doesn't work for any company which isn't also an application vendor.

I didn't mean they did exactly that, I mean they took Linux and customized it to their needs for a high-spec flagship piece of hardware. My point is just that I'm surprised there isn't more competition in the "High end PC that doesn't run Windows" market.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

KillHour posted:

I meant nobody else.

BeOS didn't fair to well, but it could have been big man.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

KillHour posted:

I didn't mean they did exactly that, I mean they took Linux and customized it to their needs for a high-spec flagship piece of hardware. My point is just that I'm surprised there isn't more competition in the "High end PC that doesn't run Windows" market.

I'm just trying to make the point here that "taking Linux and customizing it to their needs for a high-spec flagship piece of hardware" is done all the time, especially in embedded stuff you never see (even if it's "high end" kit in the datacenter), but also Rokus, every Android phone, and a bunch of other stuff. But that's using the kernel and glibc.

But putting a "skin" on top of Linux, where Linux implies something like a distro that users may actually use and the associated applications (Spotify, gaming, CAD, etc) to make it usable is something that nobody has done.

SteamOS is exactly that, but I'm not sure if I consider a beta project with no shipping hardware and which will only be used to play games anyway derivative or not, since it's not really "putting a skin on and making their own boutique brand" if (like ChromeOS) it's just an appliance which only runs one application.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

KillHour posted:

Because Windows owns? And any self respecting very high end Linux user just builds poo poo themselves or is customizing heavily from a major OEM.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

evol262 posted:

AFAIK, the examination doesn't check your command history at all, just whether or not the system is configured correctly, and ifconfig still handles almost everything iproute2 can do (network namespaces aside), and service transparently does "systemctl enable ...", so it should be fine.

The instructor runs a script which SSHes into your VM and does some checks, creates an encrypted report which goes to RH for grading. I mention that who know what they look for because if you need to add an ip to a linux system, you can do it a few different ways, and the results may look a little different each time. For example maybe the ifconfig script is formatted slightly different, if you use ip add, ifconfig, or right it manually. The script may run "ip addr con if xXXX" then awk and grep it to find a pattern, or it could just look at the ifcfg file.

Services are seamless, but there's a lot of specific things they want you to do. There's a section that allow you to comment on questions, and I commented on each one with how the question left enough vagaries to be open to interpretation.

I'm 100% certain I did everything on the the test correctly, but I still missed a few points. I'd like to see why, because I'm sure that it's just looking for something different to grade, although the actual lab was done correctly.

Oh well.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
There also isn't a market for "High end PCs that don't run Windows" that isn't Apple, period. Unless you mean the server market, in which case the OEMs don't give a gently caress what OS you put on their poo poo anyway, and the people using it definitely don't care about an app store.

If you need a high end gaming rig, your choice is Windows and that's it. If you want something fancy or need to run Quark or whatever, you buy an Apple. There's no use case for anything else on a workstation level.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

There also isn't a market for "High end PCs that don't run Windows" that isn't Apple, period. Unless you mean the server market, in which case the OEMs don't give a gently caress what OS you put on their poo poo anyway, and the people using it definitely don't care about an app store.

If you need a high end gaming rig, your choice is Windows and that's it. If you want something fancy, you buy an Apple. There's no use case for anything else.

You realize you're making the argument that I'm trying to make, right? Apple has a monopoly on "Fancy PCs that hipsters use because it's not Windows." Why is nobody competing for that market?

evol262 posted:

I'm just trying to make the point here that "taking Linux and customizing it to their needs for a high-spec flagship piece of hardware" is done all the time, especially in embedded stuff you never see (even if it's "high end" kit in the datacenter), but also Rokus, every Android phone, and a bunch of other stuff. But that's using the kernel and glibc.

I get your point.

evol262 posted:

But putting a "skin" on top of Linux, where Linux implies something like a distro that users may actually use and the associated applications (Spotify, gaming, CAD, etc) to make it usable is something that nobody has done.

THIS is my point. Why has nobody done this?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Imagine rolling up to the lan party with that bitch

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Imagine rolling up to the lan party with that bitch

I've taken my Fractal Define XL to a LAN party. The case alone is 40lbs. :suicide:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

KillHour posted:

You realize you're making the argument that I'm trying to make, right? Apple has a monopoly on "Fancy PCs that hipsters use because it's not Windows." Why is nobody competing for that market?

I get your point.

Google is. Chromebooks.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

KillHour posted:

Because what's your sales pitch? "Pay as much as an Apple for this computer that runs an OS you've never heard of and doesn't run any of the programs you want to use!"

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
So I interviewed for a "Junior Network Engineer" position and I was told I'm getting a job offer mailed to me, is using snail mail to extend offers pretty commonplace? I'm in my first IT job now and I was offered it over the phone so I don't have much to compare this second offer to

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

Because what's your sales pitch? "Pay as much as an Apple for this computer that runs an OS you've never heard of and doesn't run any of the programs you want to use!"

That's not how you pitch a luxury purchase. That's what it is - nobody needs a Macbook Pro. It doesn't have to be more capable than its competition, it just has to make people smug about owning it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

crunk dork posted:

So I interviewed for a "Junior Network Engineer" position and I was told I'm getting a job offer mailed to me, is using snail mail to extend offers pretty commonplace? I'm in my first IT job now and I was offered it over the phone so I don't have much to compare this second offer to

Was it an in-person interview?

KillHour posted:

That's not how you pitch a luxury purchase. Since that's what it is - nobody needs a Macbook Pro. It doesn't have to be more capable than its competition, it just has to make people smug about owning it.

Then give me the pitch. You're not talking about supercars here. Vertu was the company you're talking about, but in the phone space, and they're in free fall because people would rather have a "plebian" phone that actually does stuff instead of a 10k statement that just makes phone calls.

And does anybody really even care about the software when it comes to luxury purchases. Why would Asus spend the money on making/maintaining some kind of franken-OS when they can just make a really thin laptop out of aluminum and achieve the desired luxury effect?

EDIT: I think the closest thing to what you're talking about is in the SmartTV arena now. "Buy this 70" curved OLED TV with our special OS that lets you control Netflix with your hips!"

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 19, 2015