Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx posted:

Did we have a office chair thread? I need a new one.

Autonomous chairs are amazing. I'll send you my referral link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

jaegerx posted:

do we ever!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243

Bought a Gesture ~6 months ago, wife just bought a Leap. I am super picky about my setup and a good chair is high on the list.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

jaegerx posted:

I have the same question but with the important caveat "resistant to cat scratches"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Iron Rose posted:

I have the same question but with the important caveat "resistant to cat scratches"

I got this due to my chair peeling and poo poo:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W8LSZ3N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works amazingly well, surprisingly.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Autonomous chairs are amazing. I'll send you my referral link

Ended up with the ergo 2 as co workers also swear by it. My HM isn’t cutting it anymore.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I want to stick myself into a big vat of goo like in the Matrix. gently caress chairs.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

jaegerx posted:

Ended up with the ergo 2 as co workers also swear by it. My HM isn’t cutting it anymore.

This is exactly what I just bought for my wife; again, I think the dumb arm rests don't lock in place, they're also hard as gently caress plastic so get a cover.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

MF_James posted:

This is exactly what I just bought for my wife; again, I think the dumb arm rests don't lock in place, they're also hard as gently caress plastic so get a cover.

Meh. I don’t think I even use arm rests but I’ll check them out. 30 day return sold me.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Zoom in on the monitor in the bottom. He’s making a GitHub issue. Closed/wontfix works on my Mars helicopter

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The way the window is positioned it looks like he moved it in place to hide console window contents

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jaegerx posted:

Zoom in on the monitor in the bottom. He’s making a GitHub issue. Closed/wontfix works on my Mars helicopter

Are you talking about the screen that's mirrored on the projected display? Or the laptop?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
For budget chairs I picked up the Hyken from Staples last year and it is A+. I can’t compare it to HM or Steelcase but it’s also like ~$150.

https://www.staples.com/staples-hyk...KwaAvj3EALw_wcB

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I got a La-Z-Boy big and tall executive chair. I think its spiffy as gently caress. I recommend it for tall people and people who like sitting in soft chairs.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
How about desks? My home office was intended to just be maybe once a day or if I had to do a change or PD call at night. So we got a fancyish wooden desk with a hutch. Needless to say, multiple monitors are a pain and I'm sick of working around them.

Suggestions for something for two laptops, 2-3 monitors?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Bonzo posted:

How about desks? My home office was intended to just be maybe once a day or if I had to do a change or PD call at night. So we got a fancyish wooden desk with a hutch. Needless to say, multiple monitors are a pain and I'm sick of working around them.

I have a piece of garbage cardboard desk and need to replace it. I've been looking at Uplift V2 but am having trouble justifying like $700+ for a good size.

Gotta say for a chair I am considering the Aeron though, I'm tired of mediocre sits.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jaegerx posted:

Doing some real ballsy testing in production.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm a big fan of Uplift V2 desks. The wife and I have 3 of them, 2 reclaimed wood and 1 butcher board. We are very happy with them. Can't recommend enough. But spring for the solid wood, laminate desks in general just don't hold up.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
my biggest mistake ever (in context of particleboard desks) was trying to attach a vesa mount clamp to a particleboard desk

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I got my desk from an office that went out of business. 200 bucks and electric adjustment up to standing desk level, it's fantastic.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For desks you just need as large a flat surface as you can fit into the room, and it needs to have a solid frame under it.

I was eyeing up the Herman Miller Nevi sit/stand desk but that seems to be an OEM job with perhaps the desk surface sourced by HM, so I'm looking at a supplier that lets you pick your own surface/frame and actually tells you what actuators and controls they are using, and these guys seem to be the best https://www.linak.com/products/lifting-columns/deskliftsetpack/

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm a big fan of Uplift V2 desks. The wife and I have 3 of them, 2 reclaimed wood and 1 butcher board. We are very happy with them. Can't recommend enough. But spring for the solid wood, laminate desks in general just don't hold up.

The V2 C-frame is where it’s at. I got one of the laminates and it works great for my needs. The stuff in general is top notch. You’ll pay a premium but it’s worth it.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Goddamn that shits expensive. I just bought one of these cheapo frames from Amazon and a piece of butcher block from Lowes and got the same thing. Spent less than 300 bucks and got something that exactly fit the space I needed.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Bonzo posted:

Similar thing here. I had a corner desk w/ hutch and it wasn't doing it for me with 2 monitors and laptop. Replaced with a 60 inch standing desk and couldn't be happier.

I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on a $800 uplift desk but decided to buy a VIVO desk off Amazon for $250

I am happy with the sturdiness when it's at standing height but if I were to do it again I would buy one with memory settings for sitting and standing. I would also just buy the frame and buy the 60 inch butcher block from home depot and attach it but overall it was light-years ahead of the old configuration.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bonzo posted:

I have a folding table from Staples

My wife took the 'computer room' over, where I had a heavier, non folding table that I got from an old employer that they were throwing out. Easily fits 3 computers and 3 monitors on it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Current picture of said room/desk

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm glad you have some entertainment for when you're on Zoom calls.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I am glad both the lotion and tissues could be present for the troll post.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

If you're in an area that has startups, like the Bay or NC, there's often pretty good used chairs. I think there's an ironic relationship between the niceness of the chairs and their availability at used stores - i.e., the startups blowing money on the nice chairs (and presumably nice everything else) are more likely to go out of business when the VC rounds end.

I picked up two Embodys a few years ago for about half price (actually it looks like the price has gone up now, so less than half) and they're still going strong. Highly recommend the chair, I just don't recommend spending $1500 on it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SyNack Sassimov posted:

If you're in an area that has startups, like the Bay or NC, there's often pretty good used chairs.

Meanwhile, in the midwest...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Does anyone here use Varonis dat advantage? We just moved to share point and are kinda like trying to decide if there is any reason to keep it around since we no longer use network drives.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Does anyone here use Varonis dat advantage? We just moved to share point and are kinda like trying to decide if there is any reason to keep it around since we no longer use network drives.

If you aren’t using any of the other features deliver your o365 audit data to log analytics and drop dat advantage.

If you’re using any of the ad, group management or datalert stuff that varonis does you should keep it and add the connector for sharepoint online

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
It’s the same crappy on prem mess as it is for anything else and it requires a full blown admin account so I do not like it and think you can probably replace the functionality with built in 365 tools assuming you’re paying for them.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

For budget chairs I picked up the Hyken from Staples last year and it is A+. I can’t compare it to HM or Steelcase but it’s also like ~$150.

https://www.staples.com/staples-hyk...KwaAvj3EALw_wcB
It has a really specific range of human sizes it's good for, and I really wouldn't recommend it for anyone over 5'8" or 180 pounds, but this is a good quality chair for the price. Also, it regularly goes on sale down to $80.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:yotj:

30% increase in salary but since the new company doesn't offer one of the more common benefits here which is sports card that lets you visit a sports/health related facility for free once a day, I had to negotiate for a little extra to compensate for my gym subscription. Also given the tax reform here that they did earlier this translates to a 50% increase in my net salary compared to my old job.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

For those who have the Uplift V2 desk, is it worth it, and what size did you get?

60x30 seems like the most usable size, and with Rubberwood top and buttan that I want it's pushing $800 + tax. That's a mint :(

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Inner Light posted:

For those who have the Uplift V2 desk, is it worth it, and what size did you get?

60x30 seems like the most usable size, and with Rubberwood top and buttan that I want it's pushing $800 + tax. That's a mint :(

I picked up mine a few months ago, 60" bamboo, no complaints. If it fits your budget, I'd say go for it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Inner Light posted:

I definitely think it's worth it, but that's all subjective. I have the 60x30 and it's a good size. Definitely get a monitor mount if you don't have one already, frees up a lot of space and you'll want to be able to move it around when you stand up / sit down.

My thing is that these are pretty well-crafted desks and I could easily see them lasting 10 years. $80 a year, or $120 a year, really isn't much when I spend so much time at my desk. And much more so over the past year and foreseeable future.

But it's also like I said earlier in the thread, I'm pretty picky about my setup and I don't have trouble justifying spending a bunch of money on my computer setup.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Inner Light posted:

I got just the V2 commercial frame, buttans I wanted and used an existing top from my old desk. Long term plan is to build a 72x30 top to replace the existing one. Absolutely no regrets, the build quality is superb. Had to haul it all upstairs to my office, I regret not getting help. It’s frigging HEAVY.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zaepho posted:

I got just the V2 commercial frame, buttans I wanted and used an existing top from my old desk. Long term plan is to build a 72x30 top to replace the existing one. Absolutely no regrets, the build quality is superb. Had to haul it all upstairs to my office, I regret not getting help. It’s frigging HEAVY.

How much weight can the frame and motor(s) handle? I have a 60" x 25" maple butcher block top I've been wanting to make into a desk when I get the time. It clocks in around 65 lbs. Figure a total of around 100-110lbs after monitors and other stuff being put on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Proteus Jones posted:

How much weight can the frame and motor(s) handle? I have a 60" x 25" maple butcher block top I've been wanting to make into a desk when I get the time. It clocks in around 65 lbs. Figure a total of around 100-110lbs after monitors and other stuff being put on it.

Uplift claims 355lbs. Read a review at some point that said 250 they heard some motor strain but it still did it.