Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

madsushi posted:

> wrote a lot of OSX software
> literally can't figure out how to port it to *nix or Windows
> I guess we're filling our rack with waste baskets

To be fair, while OSX sucks at a lot of tasks (and especially a lot of server tasks, and realtime tasks that touch the kernel, etc), Quartz is really good, and it's not trivially portable. If they wanna throw money away, their call

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

madsushi posted:

> wrote a lot of OSX software
> literally can't figure out how to port it to *nix or Windows
> I guess we're filling our rack with waste baskets

This is pretty much my takeaway. "Welp our app has to run on OS X for $stupid_reasons. Guess we have no choice but to waste millions of dollars on insane bespoke racks and machines that do half the work at twice the cost of a normal loving blade server". The is the most apple.txt thing, and I say this as a big Apple fanboy.

Would like to be a fly on the wall at the board meeting where they justify that expense.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

See, this is why I like consulting instead of operations. If I recommend a customer fix something that's obviously stupid and they choose not to, they have to live with it every day, not me.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If anyone cares that much, the article is up on Hacker News. Poster "skuhn" works for the company (and in fact wrote the original blog post) and has thrown up a shitload of responses about their reasoning for going with the iTrashcans.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

evol262 posted:

To be fair, while OSX sucks at a lot of tasks (and especially a lot of server tasks, and realtime tasks that touch the kernel, etc), Quartz is really good, and it's not trivially portable. If they wanna throw money away, their call

It just seems strange to write a web service for something that locks you into Apple hardware.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Inspector_666 posted:

It just seems strange to write a web service for something that locks you into Apple hardware.
Until Apple decided to discontinue the quad-core Mac Minis (and until the Intel NUC really took off), it really was one of the absolute cheapest and most power-efficient ways to get CPU power into a datacenter. I'm skeptical of the value behind the Mac Pros, though.

Honestly, write whatever's cheapest and gets your product to market fastest. You can always rewrite later, and it's not like a dumb image processing pipeline is some multimillion-dollar rewrite.

Docjowles posted:

This is pretty much my takeaway. "Welp our app has to run on OS X for $stupid_reasons. Guess we have no choice but to waste millions of dollars on insane bespoke racks and machines that do half the work at twice the cost of a normal loving blade server". The is the most apple.txt thing, and I say this as a big Apple fanboy.

Would like to be a fly on the wall at the board meeting where they justify that expense.
The racks are standard-ish 46U racks. The enclosures are custom, but it's not like sheet metal fabrication with a couple of wires attached is something that's absurdly difficult to contract out. Most people just don't know where to start. Blade chassis are cheap, but the blades aren't really cheaper than pizzaboxes. The benefits are in density, which is only an issue if you're space-constrained, and in ease of cable management. At my last job, we avoided blades entirely because they created awful hotspots in the datacenter, complicated power distribution by requiring 60A Russellstoll pin-and-sleeve connectors from every breaker we wanted to install one onto, and were more expensive than comparable 1U/2U servers.

Given their image quality targets, and the fact that Core Image is GPU-accelerated and can produce really great quality images with very minimal CPU usage, it's entirely possible that they were able to deliver significant cost savings at scale by doing this.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 7, 2015

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Docjowles posted:

If anyone cares that much, the article is up on Hacker News. Poster "skuhn" works for the company (and in fact wrote the original blog post) and has thrown up a shitload of responses about their reasoning for going with the iTrashcans.

From what he's saying it kinda makes sense. It just seems like the stupidest thing ever out right, but given that Racklive did the design and build of the holders (so they didn't have to care about that part) and that this has to last just for a depreciation cycle (2-3 years), you can get some good value and money out of it for the time being, especially if

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9502091 posted:

Here's the quick math on cost per gflop, including all network and datacenter costs:
Mac Pro: $5/gflop
EC2 g2.xlarge: $21.19/gflop

You can get a lot further ahead of your competition if their costs are 4x yours (he mentions later down that all their competitors are in EC2).

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Will scaring the hell out of someone by yelling "NO WAIT DON'T" when they say they're rebooting something, ever stop being funny? My sources say no.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Will scaring the hell out of someone by yelling "NO WAIT DON'T" when they say they're rebooting something, ever stop being funny? My sources say no.

That old chestnut is right up there with saying "Rebooting (production) server now" when the dev guy asks to bounce a similarly-named QA box. Panicked looks are like gold, man...

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Anyone here (or have ever been) a Help Desk/Tech Support Manager? I just figure that to be a sort of missing link between Network Admin and Helldesk

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Inspector_666 posted:

So this company called imgix is very proud of their rackmounted Mac Pros.

Am I wrong to be very confused at pretty much every decision they made that led to this?

This is hilarious and I can tell that the guys who run this company are ~~~ MAC GUYS 4 LYFE ~~~~~ just by the design of the website.

Seriously does OSX even have clustering capability these days?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
have we covered that this new design of one extremely long web page is loving horrible

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

go3 posted:

have we covered that this new design of one extremely long web page is loving horrible

http://www.eskaustin.com/

I think this is the worst one I've found yet. I cannot figure out a drat thing from this website. I just want to see what the gently caress you're about and how delicious your food is.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Race Realists posted:

Anyone here (or have ever been) a Help Desk/Tech Support Manager? I just figure that to be a sort of missing link between Network Admin and Helldesk

Ehh...not really. The Manager bit means that while you're still on the hook for any sufficiently large technical issue (though that varies with environment/company) your job is primarily herding cats. Depending on the competency of your helpdesk personnel your job will be easy or a living goddamned hell where every other manager+ in the company who has a service complaint rolls downhill into your front door.

A more bridge-y position is Senior/Level 3/whatever Tech Support, then if you're friendly with the network guys you can generally sit them down and ask if they need a Jr Admin. It can be difficult to make the shift, to be honest--helpdesk is end-user support and lap/desktops, network is servers, infrastructure, and other back-end bits. Depending on the environment, helpdesk is expected to solve the problem NOW, whereas unless its actively on fire most network stuff is supposed to be done in a more methodical manner during maintenance windows, possibly with a fleshed out rollback plan.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Thanks for the answer. back to learning PowerShell I guess

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 7, 2015

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

hihifellow posted:

Today I had an engineer webex'd in to a computer running an RDP session to a laptop connected to the idrac of a server through a crossover cable so we could get console access.

I have since networked the idrac so I do not have to practice data center inception.

I worked for a while at a company that manufactured a small linux device that had a bunch of cell modems in it that could be used for video broadcasting over IP. The management system was this weird front end that you could log into and send simple bash commands. You could also upload executable scripts. It was a huge pain, since the front end was garbage. So I wrote a small script that I could upload that would open an ssh tunnel back to a server I controlled, and then I'd use reverse ssh proxying to ssh back up that connection into the device. Since the media was encoded via FFMPEG I could also use this to port forward all the video data over the ssh tunnel.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

SaltLick posted:

http://www.eskaustin.com/

I think this is the worst one I've found yet. I cannot figure out a drat thing from this website. I just want to see what the gently caress you're about and how delicious your food is.

"East Side King" sounds like a member of a gang, which is appropriate since that site looks like a wall covered in graffiti.

go3 posted:

I don't think "one long page" is a problem at all. I mean, how long have we (internet users in the general sense) been complaining about unnecessary pagination? When an article could fit on one page with some scrolling but instead is split into 5 pages with two tiny paragraphs each, so that the site could get more ad impressions.

I think the real problem is the way the images are laid out. Giant fuckoff screen-sized pictures, sometimes multiple ones, every other paragraph, spilling over into margins and breaking up the flow of the article almost as completely as the old pagination poo poo did. I find THAT incredibly annoying. But a single page per article? Gimme dat.

Edit: The image spanning is probably a consequence of designing for phones. I'm sure it makes a lot more sense with a small, vertically-oriented screen. But on a widescreen desktop monitor, they suck.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 7, 2015

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Race Realists posted:

Literally as of today, I am. And like OAquinas said, not necessarily. My job (every place is unique) is going to largely consist of vendor relations, ordering equipment, being the liaison/contact for VIPs that our department services, and escalation for desktop support issues that my team can't resolve on their own. Add in hiring/firing (I hope not), employee evals, approving time off, and all that, and you see where things start to diverge.

My team supports a subset of a much larger organization, so any infrastructure and/or enterprise services are handled elsewhere which limits what I get exposed to / am responsible for. Which is good and bad.

Luckily a lot of the things we've set up in the last few months run themselves and our desktop replacement processes are pretty streamlined so I plan on using my downtime to study and practice on VMs before (probably) moving on.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Network engineer I
Requirements: 5 years experience

Kiss me arse.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Race Realists posted:

I am this as well. I'm tier 3 support, but I only manage the three helpdesk guys, not the four tier 2 guys. It's weird, but it works I guess since we're a small department. I'm also doing server admin and network admin tasks, but that's mostly just shadowing and helping the one server admin guy and one network admin guy we have.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Gyshall posted:

This is hilarious and I can tell that the guys who run this company are ~~~ MAC GUYS 4 LYFE ~~~~~ just by the design of the website.

Most major websites have infinite or near-infinite scrolling. In TYOOL 2015 it's standard-op and with most users now sporting Full-HD 1920x1080 displays why not make use of real estate?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 7, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

OAquinas posted:

Ehh...not really. The Manager bit means that while you're still on the hook for any sufficiently large technical issue (though that varies with environment/company) your job is primarily herding cats.

:lol:

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Colonial Air Force posted:

It comes at the cost of the right salary, but not enough that I mind too much.

E: I mean, I work on a loving mountain and I get to ski whenever I want.

I want a pic of you skiing in a revwar getup. For...posterity. Yeah....

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
My new job has turned into: Oh poo poo what were these guys thinking- how are we going to support all this legacy crap.
To: Oh poo poo, we need to rebuild both HQ's core networks/VM environments, setup two colo's worth of gear, and be ready to build out a HW environment for a new web-based product delivery management system in a few months. Welp. Either time to start drinking or hiring. Guess what's going to happen first.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

the spyder posted:

My new job has turned into: Oh poo poo what were these guys thinking- how are we going to support all this legacy crap.
To: Oh poo poo, we need to rebuild both HQ's core networks/VM environments, setup two colo's worth of gear, and be ready to build out a HW environment for a new web-based product delivery management system in a few months. Welp. Either time to start drinking or hiring. Guess what's going to happen first.

Drink while hiring?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

luminalflux posted:

From what he's saying it kinda makes sense. It just seems like the stupidest thing ever out right, but given that Racklive did the design and build of the holders (so they didn't have to care about that part) and that this has to last just for a depreciation cycle (2-3 years), you can get some good value and money out of it for the time being, especially if

You can get a lot further ahead of your competition if their costs are 4x yours (he mentions later down that all their competitors are in EC2).

Well thats all well in good if you just calculate that out like that, but on EC2 you can do reserved instances and if a machine is shut down you aren't paying for anything but the drive storage. You can also easily switch between memory/cpu/cluster/gpu targeted instances to get the one that is right for what you are doing without having to do much more than shut the machine down and start it back up again (or at the worst create an image and spin up a new one). AWS is always going to appear a little higher cost than dedicated machines but they constantly evolve the system and improve the infrastructure and their offerings and the users don't have to deal with too much hurt from it.

Not to mention AWS offers things like hosted databases, load balancers, auto-scaling all of which are easily scriptable. Not to mention the future and form factor of apple hardware is up in the air, so you don't know if you will have to get all brand new mounting racks down the line. I worked for a web host for 5-6 years, and I am just glad I don't have to deal with any of that crap anymore. No more worrying about drive failures, no more overheating machines, no more dealing with customers when you have to RMA their server and do a rush job to put them on something else.

Now my current job has turned into making these cool automation stacks that do everything you used to do by hand, and we plan in fault tolerance and security. It pretty much rules. I went from doing hardware grunt work and installing OS, to prepping servers and configuring domains to full of devopsy stacks and I am quite happy.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
How do you make a switch like that? All the AWS jobs around here want someone with demonstrated experience in ~-devops-~

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Swink posted:

How do you make a switch like that? All the AWS jobs around here want someone with demonstrated experience in ~-devops-~
The market's so hot right now that experience with some kind of configuration management/container system and an account on GitHub with some things in it is really all you need to get recruiters' attention. I keep getting pinged over the Go code I've written and I honestly don't even know Go.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Swink posted:

Mainly just being a good learner and I had a few skills like Mongo and dealing with SOLR already from my last project. I learned to write some python too which might come in handy, but wasn't part of getting the job. Basically, always be learning. If if you aren't learning anything new on a job then its just another job.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Do you put your GitHub account on LinkedIn? Your resume?

...should I remove all the VBS from my account? :V

Ok so I should push my administration + scripting capabilities. Which are moderate. Cool.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Swink posted:

...should I remove all the VBS from my account? :V

Ok so I should push my administration + scripting capabilities. Which are moderate. Cool.
My GitHub account has been on my resume for a few years now; it's the first thing many hiring managers will look at past your resume itself for coding-related jobs.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Last month we started using Slack for chat at my company. This week, my coworker set up a bot in our Ops channel. Ostensibly for useful stuff, but in reality it's just used to interject sick burns and image macros.

Current productivity status: zero :hellyeah:

Swink posted:

FWIW I have my github account on my resume.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Getting ready to walk out the door and pick up the kids, when we get calls and alarms. For the second time in as many weeks, the file server shares have gotten hit with ransomware :suicide:

File server itself is fine, but individual users are infected....here's hoping this gives us sufficient ammo to finally remove local admin access

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Swink posted:

Scripting on-prem isn't fundamentally different than scripting in the cloud.

Apply!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

JHVH-1 posted:

Well thats all well in good if you just calculate that out like that, but on EC2 you can do reserved instances and if a machine is shut down you aren't paying for anything but the drive storage. You can also easily switch between memory/cpu/cluster/gpu targeted instances to get the one that is right for what you are doing without having to do much more than shut the machine down and start it back up again (or at the worst create an image and spin up a new one). AWS is always going to appear a little higher cost than dedicated machines but they constantly evolve the system and improve the infrastructure and their offerings and the users don't have to deal with too much hurt from it.

On this note, has anyone had success with using EC2 as a DR/COOP cold/warm site? One of my customers has zero DR aside from some local backups at their administrative office and at their colo across town. They can't really afford to keep spare hardware stockpiled, but they definitely need the ability to quickly spin up essential services in the event of a major outage or failure.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

OAquinas posted:

Getting ready to walk out the door and pick up the kids, when we get calls and alarms. For the second time in as many weeks, the file server shares have gotten hit with ransomware :suicide:

File server itself is fine, but individual users are infected....here's hoping this gives us sufficient ammo to finally remove local admin access

We got hit with Cryptolocker twice in the past few weeks (and almost got hit a third but it nuked the computer before it could do any damage) and it was kind of annoying to watch Sophos detect the files when we went looking but did nothing to stop it from encrypting everything it could.

Today we had our Sophos rep come by, and one of the things he pointed out it is the suspicious behavior detection defaults to "alert, but do nothing" which lets cryptolocker by.

Unchecked that option in a hurry.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

psydude posted:

On this note, has anyone had success with using EC2 as a DR/COOP cold/warm site? One of my customers has zero DR aside from some local backups at their administrative office and at their colo across town. They can't really afford to keep spare hardware stockpiled, but they definitely need the ability to quickly spin up essential services in the event of a major outage or failure.

People have, but EC2 is just as likely to have problems. If they can't automatically reprovision their stuff if an AZ goes down, it doesn't belong in the cloud, and if they can, then they can already spin stuff up fast.

Seriously look at VPSes or "sort-of" cloud solutions like RS/DO which offer a better experience for pets than EC2

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

OAquinas posted:

That's what I love about my users. They might be terrible with computers, but they don't trust strange messages. Some of them still get viruses, but most of them ask us about anything fishy. Most of the time it's nothing, but I'd rather have five tickets about benign messages than one where we have to root out a virus, let alone one where someone gets most of a site's network infected with cryptolocker.

edit: Although I'm pretty sure I get at least one ALL CAPS message per day.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

OAquinas posted:

We got hit with our first known case yesterday. Luckily the guy had access to very little data, and we were able to restore the data from snapshots within about an hour of finding the infected employee. He's exactly the kind of person I would expect to be infected with Ransomware too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Yeah, we were able to contain the damage to a few hundred thousand files and restore from this afternoon, but finding the entrance vector was a bit more troublesome as he had already gone home and his home folder hadn't gotten hit yet. More annoying than anything else.