Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

What spice level are you

Poblano, Jalapeno if I'm feeling adventurous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

xzzy posted:

I had enough trouble memorizing seven layers, they added more??

There’s definitely an eighth layer that you find a lot of problems at

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Guys why are you buying a SAN with enterprise support when this 2U ProLiant full of disks is cheaper??? Think of how much of someone else's money you will be saving by rolling your own and taking on all the liability for it being a huge piece of poo poo.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Lots of people already said it, but spiceworks hasnt been good for at least 5 years, maybe longer. Use literally anything else.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

xzzy posted:

I had enough trouble memorizing seven layers, they added more??

This isn't the OSI model?

Open spicy index

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Thanks Ants posted:

Guys why are you buying a SAN with enterprise support when this 2U ProLiant full of disks is cheaper??? Think of how much of someone else's money you will be saving by rolling your own and taking on all the liability for it being a huge piece of poo poo.

Oh god, who was that spiceworks guy who's every post was basically this?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Scott Miller something something or something something Scott Miller. Dude was very loud and very dumb.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

skipdogg posted:

Oh god, who was that spiceworks guy who's every post was basically this?

Scott Alan Miller

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm desperately trying to get local NAS arrays axed in favor of the research data being put on our campus-wide network storage array. Having 5 years worth of research data wiped out because a NAS failed or a fire burnt down a building just isn't acceptable to me.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

No, but if you've made the risks clear and they're acceptable to the stakeholders, sometimes you just need to move on.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yup. Cover Your rear end and move on.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

skipdogg posted:

Yup. Cover Your rear end and move on.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
From the infosec thread, rip

https://twitter.com/jacobian/status/1522068542157246465

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

man, I haven't been keeping a close eye on that but every time I look its gotten worse

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

This isn't the OSI model?

Open spicy index

Oral Spice Index. It's a common mixup.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The Fool posted:

No, but if you've made the risks clear and they're acceptable to the stakeholders, sometimes you just need to move on.

I mean this is no real extra effort for me and my argument has already been made. If they're fine with blowing 5-10k for data recovery services every time a NAS dies then that's on them. Just something I'm trying to push as we update our backup and recovery strategy for the research labs.

To be clear, there is no official policy and I'm trying to move it away from a free for all system where every lab manager decides their own DR setup.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The only useful thing I remember coming out of Spiceworks was this guy who wrote some good WSUS maintenance scripts, who then tried to pull all copies of it from the forums and spin up a company. FlyingJ or J-Dude or J-something or other.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I posted it before in here and he had it taken down with a c&d.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The only useful thing I remember coming out of Spiceworks was this guy who wrote some good WSUS maintenance scripts, who then tried to pull all copies of it from the forums and spin up a company. FlyingJ or J-Dude or J-something or other.

AdamJ. It's extra funny because he tried to monetize it like two years before WSUS became deprecated market-wise (yeah OK before the people still using it get shirty, I know it's still out there and in wide use, but my meaning is "it's no longer something someone would use by default or if they could avoid it"). I mean I guess if he gets money out of it congrats to him, but hitching your wagon to a product that's been around for 20 years just before it becomes a white elephant is pretty amusing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I just had the first phone call in the Amazon TAM interview process and apparently I had done well enough on the tech / leadership assessments to skip the first round of technical interviews. Has anyone else who interviewed there had that happen? I'm just kind of confused because I felt like I barely scraped by. I guess I'll be taking half a day off for the 4 hour interview panel sometime soonish. I didn't expect to get this far at all.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just had the first phone call in the Amazon TAM interview process and apparently I had done well enough on the tech / leadership assessments to skip the first round of technical interviews. Has anyone else who interviewed there had that happen? I'm just kind of confused because I felt like I barely scraped by. I guess I'll be taking half a day off for the 4 hour interview panel sometime soonish. I didn't expect to get this far at all.

Imposter syndrome.

You rock. You can do this!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
4 hour interview?! Jfc

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Bob Morales posted:

What spice level are you

Is this an HR quiz or some new Agile Framework method?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Congrats!

I just had my final round for an internal job that I've been gearing up for.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

4 hour interview?! Jfc

FAANG life baby, they know they can get away with it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
https://support.google.com/docs/thread/162510194/including-and-and-and-and-and-in-a-google-doc-causes-it-to-crash?hl=en

ahhahahah it works

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Canadians have the worst english

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
whatever bitch i broke google

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What the actual hell was the root cause of that

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's a feature.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
being interpreted a SQL query maybe? lmao who knows, it's google

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
wait no it's this

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Just more proof google watches everything you do

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

wait no it's this

That seems logical, or it was solar flares

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I have a second round interview on Monday for a job, passed the initial HR hurdle. More pay, more PTO, management title (with no direct reports) and a career path ... I'm pretty stoked!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just accepted an offer so today is my :yotj: moving on to taking a TAM role as a SaaS company. Significant pay bump, bonus structure, stock options. I'm taking a gap week to just lay in my hammock and read Hemmingway, but I'm excited to move from doing the things to talking about doing the things and making 30% more.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Talking about doing things: :agesilaus::clint:

Doing things: :(:smithcloud:

You made the right call my friend

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I thought the inverse was supposed to be true?? I'm so goddamn tired of people at this job I started 8 months ago talking about doing work, or talking about setting up a time to talk about doing work, instead of actually doing any work. It's so frustrating.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I thought the inverse was supposed to be true?? I'm so goddamn tired of people at this job I started 8 months ago talking about doing work, or talking about setting up a time to talk about doing work, instead of actually doing any work. It's so frustrating.

Really depends on the person. The worst just comes down to being in a spot where the work:people-stuff ratio is way off your personal liking.

I personally really enjoy tech strategy and people leadership; with enough technical hands-on to keep myself current and confident. Often the last piece is on my own time, and driven by like 70% interest / 30% professional relevance (thankfully there's a lot of overlap).

In summary: people like different things and it's important to know what you personally like and how to get there.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

We are looking at this from only who gets paid more, and from that vantage point talking is better than doing. My career goal is to be a commissioned sales engineer for a SaaS, and this is a step in that direction.

I interviewed for a toooon of SE, TAM Roles, and Senior DevOps roles, I went with a TAM role because it's a good 50/50 split of technical and customer facing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think there's a difference between "endless talking about work at an organizational level without results" and "talking out work and seeing it executed (or flying off to the next customer)". It's that pit where you talk and talk but there's no forward movement that's demoralizing to everyone.