Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

siggy2021 posted:

DHCP server is on the DC at HQ. We theorized that the old router had something in it's config to be a helper. We rooted through the old config files and found them. Unfortunately we have no control over our previous or current routers. The configs were supposed to be copied over, the new isp had the old ones. Someone hosed up.

Every time I've done a managed router cutover the ISP has forgotten the DHCP helpers, even when they were supposed to be copying the config from the previous router. It got to the point where we had to force them to give us our own admin credentials so we could check before cutovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

Every time I've done a managed router cutover the ISP has forgotten the DHCP helpers, even when they were supposed to be copying the config from the previous router. It got to the point where we had to force them to give us our own admin credentials so we could check before cutovers.
This is why i refuse to use a managed router. It's not that they are incompetent, but the institutional knowledge is critical and they just don't have it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

siggy2021 posted:

new cyber roam firewalls

:gonk:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Is it unusual to get a full-time offer that has lower pay than the contract-to-hire rate you were already on? The overall compensation package is probably more or less comparable, but a ~10-15% pay cut is a bit disconcerting.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is it unusual to get a full-time offer that has lower pay than the contract-to-hire rate you were already on? The overall compensation package is probably more or less comparable, but a ~10-15% pay cut is a bit disconcerting.
Were you W-2 or 1099 before? Going 1099 to W-2 almost always results in a pay drop because of benefits, FICA taxes, and other costs to the employer.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Common, but bullshit

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The overall compensation package is probably more or less comparable

During the contract period you are typically paid a bit higher to compensate for lack of benefits/vacation. The conversion salary (or at least the range) should be discussed and agreed upon before you ever set foot in the building as a contractor.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

:ohdear: That worries me. I didn't realize that, and I'm going to have to pay for health insurance for the first time coming up in a few months. If I don't get a raise going to full time, I won't be able to afford health insurance. I'm at a fairly small company, so hopefully I can get a raise on that justification.

E: And I have too many health problems to not have insurance. Maybe I'll have to look into what sort of income level for two people gets subsidies. That's the main problem, I'm 90% of our income.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 18, 2015

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

Were you W-2 or 1099 before? Going 1099 to W-2 almost always results in a pay drop because of benefits, FICA taxes, and other costs to the employer.

W-2, with some health insurance benefits but no days off or anything like that. My math indicates I'm going to come out even or ahead on overall compensation, but the drop in the top line figure is what worries me. Not like I'm not going to take it, but I wonder if this is a good indicator to look for alternatives.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

W-2, with some health insurance benefits but no days off or anything like that. My math indicates I'm going to come out even or ahead on overall compensation, but the drop in the top line figure is what worries me. Not like I'm not going to take it, but I wonder if this is a good indicator to look for alternatives.

This is pretty normal for us. If we convert a former W-2 contractor to a FTE usually the cash compensation will be less than before. Overall compensation package is usually higher, but cash usually comes down.

Our benefit package can easily be worth 20K or more, most people take the entire compensation package into account. Personally cash is the 3rd thing I consider when looking at an employment offer.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I just converted from a contract to hire to full time employee and knew up front that was going to happen. That's pretty standard from what I understood before, and what the people have been saying here since you asked.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I was on a one-year contract that was about to convert, but the numbers were looking like a 50% drop in pay, and lovely, lovely benefits. So I :yotj:'d out to a new place that offered me the pay I was making on contract AND better benefits.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I was on a one-year contract that was about to convert, but the numbers were looking like a 50% drop in pay, and lovely, lovely benefits. So I :yotj:'d out to a new place that offered me the pay I was making on contract AND better benefits.

Funny how that works out! Pretty much same thing happened to me. -15% cut in pay + benefits? No thanks I'll take +30% raise + wayyyyy better benefits to go somewhere else.

There are other opportunities out there.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Anybody have any recommendations for offsite / cloud backup solutions for a mac mini our dev's are using that's just sitting here on their desk? At the moment their backup is just to an external on the same desk and they're wanting something offsite. I'm going to have a meeting with them on Wed so we haven't had any technical talks yet, but from the sounds of it they need to be able to backup their whole environment, create snapshots, etc.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Anybody have any recommendations for offsite / cloud backup solutions for a mac mini our dev's are using that's just sitting here on their desk? At the moment their backup is just to an external on the same desk and they're wanting something offsite. I'm going to have a meeting with them on Wed so we haven't had any technical talks yet, but from the sounds of it they need to be able to backup their whole environment, create snapshots, etc.

I just started Carbonite for my MBPro at home and have been satisfied so far (I spent a weekend deleting/restoring test files of various sizes without an issue). The business class is bit more expensive but still seems fairly cheap.

Another option is to use a scheduled rsync with Dropbox/Box/OneDrive if you just need data files backed up.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone ever constructed a videowall before? I have 3x3 HDTVs and a stand to hold them picked out, but I'm looking for a videowall controller that's not going to be rocket science to set up at a convention. Maybe something that takes in a 4k feed from a laptop and stretches it across all the 1080p HDTVs.

Edit: Maybe I should just whip together a desktop with 2 or 3 graphics cards and Eyefinity or something instead of paying $10k for a videowall controller which will still probably be more of a pain in the rear end.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 20, 2015

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

:yotj:

Just signed an offer, getting about 70% more in pay, and more like double once you factor in the additional compensation. Not significantly farther than my current commute, and has a stop possibility of moving me to the Pacific Northwest in a year or so(Yay for getting the gently caress out of Texas!)

For all those stuck in a lovely job, Linkedin really is the answer. I wasn't even looking(my current job isn't bad, just underpaid) and they reached out to me and made an offer.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Zero VGS posted:

Has anyone ever constructed a videowall before? I have 3x3 HDTVs and a stand to hold them picked out, but I'm looking for a videowall controller that's not going to be rocket science to set up at a convention. Maybe something that takes in a 4k feed from a laptop and stretches it across all the 1080p HDTVs.

Edit: Maybe I should just whip together a desktop with 2 or 3 graphics cards and Eyefinity or something instead of paying $10k for a videowall controller which will still probably be more of a pain in the rear end.

The first company that comes to mind is Shuttle, it's been a while since I looked up their prices but I'm pretty sure they have controllers for what you're talking about.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

RFC2324 posted:

For all those stuck in a lovely job, Linkedin really is the answer. I wasn't even looking(my current job isn't bad, just underpaid) and they reached out to me and made an offer.

Congrats! Especially on the possibly getting out of Texas part, heh.

I'm pretty much in your same situation - good job, just pretty underpaid. Did you do anything special on your LinkedIn to generate responses? I keep mine updated and have all my certs listed, but I don't get a ton of traffic.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Did you do anything special on your LinkedIn to generate responses? I keep mine updated and have all my certs listed, but I don't get a ton of traffic.

Make connections with recruiters. Make connections with former coworkers. Make connections with people you barely know. Make sure your profile is public. Make sure there's a word-salad of skills somewhere, so random searches will pop you up. Make small changes regularly. I'm torn on "broadcast activity", but that will definitely pop you on recruiters more often. I personally don't make LinkedIn connections to coworkers until after I leave, so they don't realize how much I'm moving around when I'm doing it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I'm pretty much in your same situation - good job, just pretty underpaid. Did you do anything special on your LinkedIn to generate responses? I keep mine updated and have all my certs listed, but I don't get a ton of traffic.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531540

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Zero VGS posted:

Professional displays (as opposed to TVs) will frequently have a DisplayPort In and a DisplayPort Out for daisy-chaining them to make a video wall. It's unlikely to give you the full resolution from each display but for 3x3 there's no point spending thousands.

To be honest that's the sort of thing you should be hiring at each convention and letting someone else put it together for you.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I literally have an almost blank linkedin profile, just a job history and my endorsements, as well as being a member of like 2 or 3 groups(that I never post in). I have quite a few endorsements, tho, and thats what I like to attribute, in part, to why I get hits.

Also, I currently do work for a fortune 500 tech company, so that may help too.

EpicCareMadBitch
Dec 20, 2008
I'm currently in my mid-20's and want to pursue a career in the IT field (My fields of interest being Net Security or Web Developing. I entertain the idea of Sys admining sometimes. However, I am a novice in all of these subjects). As of right now I have no marketable skills, professional experience or degree/Certs in any IT field. I have been studying (sort of) for my A+ exam but I don't even know if that is the route I should be taking as of right now. I have been entertaining the idea of going back to school for a degree but that would set me back a lot of dough that I just don't have. Can anyone steer me with some guidance on what my first move should be? What steps should I take to get the ball rolling? My mind has been on this all weekend and I want to put something into action this week.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

oaok posted:

I'm currently in my mid-20's and want to pursue a career in the IT field (My fields of interest being Net Security or Web Developing. I entertain the idea of Sys admining sometimes. However, I am a novice in all of these subjects). As of right now I have no marketable skills, professional experience or degree/Certs in any IT field. I have been studying (sort of) for my A+ exam but I don't even know if that is the route I should be taking as of right now. I have been entertaining the idea of going back to school for a degree but that would set me back a lot of dough that I just don't have. Can anyone steer me with some guidance on what my first move should be? What steps should I take to get the ball rolling? My mind has been on this all weekend and I want to put something into action this week.
Every job has fun parts. What's going to determine the right career for you is how passionate you get about the dumb, boring parts. Find some local people who are involved with the areas you'd like to be involved with, and network, intern or shadow some people, and get a feel for what the position is really like. Unless you're in a huge metro area with a thriving corporate IT market, early on you're probably going to start out on helpdesk and end up a jack of all trades, getting exposure to a lot of different things as a junior generalist.

What's your coding background (or openness to programming if you don't have one)? What is it about any of these roles that makes you think you'd like to do that as a career?

EpicCareMadBitch
Dec 20, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

Every job has fun parts. What's going to determine the right career for you is how passionate you get about the dumb, boring parts. Find some local people who are involved with the areas you'd like to be involved with, and network, intern or shadow some people, and get a feel for what the position is really like. Unless you're in a huge metro area with a thriving corporate IT market, early on you're probably going to start out on helpdesk and end up a jack of all trades, getting exposure to a lot of different things as a junior generalist.

What's your coding background (or openness to programming if you don't have one)? What is it about any of these roles that makes you think you'd like to do that as a career?

Well I know VERY rudimentary python, CSS, HTML, and php. I have never really put any of those languages into practice because of just how little I know of them. I have played around with SQL creating website forums but never really got deep into it other then knowing how to set databases up. Network security I feel personally would be a job I would enjoy. I played around with pen testing in high school and early college but never really got too deep into it. I did have lots of fun in every aspect of doing it. I put system administrating on there because some of my older colleagues do it for their career and I have talked to them about it. It's probably not something I would pursue. Honestly I feel I would like to get into security the most.

When I look around for entry level computer repair/help desk jobs most of them want 1-2 years professional experience in my area. Would having a cert such as A+ nullify these requirements?

EpicCareMadBitch fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 21, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Where do you live? My experience is you are going to be slogging through applications for way too many months before you find your first job, because people in charge of hiring actually honestly think that AD experience and 2+ years of helpdesk experience qualify as entry level. Once in a while, you'll find an employer without its head up its rear end, or that has just gotten desperate. And then you'll interview, probably not get the job, and try again. Just apply to anything that seems remotely junior level. My rule was apply unless they ask for 3+ years of something, but that could be a lovely rule.

The only upside is that it's a whole hell of a lot easier to get a second IT job than a first.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
If the job description looks like something you believe you could handle, then I definitely agree with the "just apply" suggestion. Worst case your resume gets binned, it's not like anyone you'd want to work for would hold a grudge over resume submissions, assuming you aren't an egregious rear end in a top hat who calls multiple times per week "checking up on the hiring process" or whatever.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone here use any of the collaborative platforms that are out there as a replacement for email, at least within the confines of your own team? I'm looking at things like Slack (actually trying this one now), Basecamp, etc.

I've got a small team - just three of us - but it'd be nice to have a spot to stick little status updates on projects, etc. that don't warrant an email. (I kinda hate email).

Curious if anyone has any experience/opinions on them.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I use Asana for some stuff (my own business, not my full time job)

I like it and it's free up to 15 users IIRC

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Does anyone here use any of the collaborative platforms that are out there as a replacement for email, at least within the confines of your own team? I'm looking at things like Slack (actually trying this one now), Basecamp, etc.

I've got a small team - just three of us - but it'd be nice to have a spot to stick little status updates on projects, etc. that don't warrant an email. (I kinda hate email).

Curious if anyone has any experience/opinions on them.

We use slack at my job and it's pretty good. It's got all the features you'd expect out of a modern day chat client, and integrations such as Screen Hero and others.

Sheep posted:

If the job description looks like something you believe you could handle, then I definitely agree with the "just apply" suggestion. Worst case your resume gets binned, it's not like anyone you'd want to work for would hold a grudge over resume submissions, assuming you aren't an egregious rear end in a top hat who calls multiple times per week "checking up on the hiring process" or whatever.

I agree with this. Also, if you can do everything on the job description, that means you're overqualified.

Experience is different though.

And I completely agree with this:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The only upside is that it's a whole hell of a lot easier to get a second IT job than a first.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

We use slack at my job and it's pretty good. It's got all the features you'd expect out of a modern day chat client, and integrations such as Screen Hero and others.

Don't forget inline gif support!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
God drat. Working for a seasonal business can be great, but it can also suck.

"We haven't spent money on IT in 10 years and it's been fine! You can't spend money now."

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I think Office 365 is having problems again. This hasn't been a good week or two for Microsoft on that front, huh?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I really enjoyed using Slack at my last job. Would definitely recommend it as a communication tool. It also has a ton of really useful (or just fun) plugins and bots available.

Asana is also pretty good for light weight projects management and todo type stuff. Not really the same thing as Slack.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I think Office 365 is having problems again. This hasn't been a good week or two for Microsoft on that front, huh?

I love when Service Health Dashboard won't load.

I've been working all morning in powershell and I haven't heard anything from our user community. What are you seeing?

Edit: The Service Health Dashboard isn't working is the current impact. At least the Office 365 Admin mobile app will show me issues. :golfclap:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

mayodreams posted:

I love when Service Health Dashboard won't load.

I've been working all morning in powershell and I haven't heard anything from our user community. What are you seeing?

Looks like admin/management portal's are having trouble. I haven't heard anything from our users either (we don't have a lot on 365, but we do have a few) so looks like that portion is fine for now. Whatevs.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004

BRB, testing out time travel.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Colonial Air Force posted:

God drat. Working for a seasonal business can be great, but it can also suck.

"We haven't spent money on IT in 10 years and it's been fine! You can't spend money now."

Get your recommendation for new equipment and their refusal in writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Inspector_666 posted:

Don't forget inline gif support!

Of course! Also /giphy comes up with the best (or worst) replies