Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Exactly this.
I thought it was an OK practice to ask for a raise, get denied, then find a new job offer, and come back and ask for more a better salary at your current place before accepting another offer?

Agreeing, with what others have said do not do this. There's always an exception but it shows your employer your actively looking for a new opportunity.

If Joe asks HR for another [$X]because he got a competing offer what's to say he won't do it in another 6 months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Holy poo poo all the audiophile posts.

I've been perusing forums and whatnot trying to put together a decent desk amp and headphone setup as well as something nice to play records on downstairs.
You guys pretty much hit the nail on the head.

In a similar vein, my boss asked me why there was an amp and speakers in the phone room.

My answer:

Because I thought you'd get mad if you saw this in the server racks.

So I put it in the phone room instead.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
DJ GnarlyCharlie4U in the hizzouse!

4U in the racks, 4U in the sack!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Tab8715 posted:

Agreeing, with what others have said do not do this. There's always an exception but it shows your employer your actively looking for a new opportunity.

If Joe asks HR for another [$X]because he got a competing offer what's to say he won't do it in another 6 months?

Speaking of, we have an employee here (not in IT - sales, in fact, which makes this worse) talking about this job at a competitor she's applied for and interviewed at. She's been asking everyone, including her boss and other senior managers, what she should do.

Better hope she actually gets the job, because her days here are numbered.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I've been asked by two managers in my career to give them a heads up if I am looking for another job so they can start planning to replace me.

Will you be extending me the same heads up if you're thinking of laying me off, or will I find out when I walk into the room and HR's there?

Speaking of lay offs, my buddy in QA got laid off last week. For those with strong memories, this is the guy who will just up and ask me what I think of video games I've never heard of. How's this for a kick? When he went into the room, he honestly thought he was getting a promotion they've talked about. How's that for going from one extreme to another?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I've been asked by two managers in my career to give them a heads up if I am looking for another job so they can start planning to replace me.

If your notice period doesn't give them enough time to recruit and handover to a replacement then that sounds like not your problem.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I actually told my boss today that I applied for a position and had an interview. Key information was that it was for an internal (different department) position and they will presumably contact him about it, and we do have a pretty good relationship. He's said multiple times that he knows this isn't my final place, and I just recently got my CCNA so I think he knows what's up.

He was pretty cool about it, but it was nonetheless extremely awkward.

Hopefully I won't be posting about how I was suddenly fired over the next few days!

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I actually told my boss today that I applied for a position and had an interview. Key information was that it was for an internal (different department) position and they will presumably contact him about it, and we do have a pretty good relationship. He's said multiple times that he knows this isn't my final place, and I just recently got my CCNA so I think he knows what's up.

He was pretty cool about it, but it was nonetheless extremely awkward.

Hopefully I won't be posting about how I was suddenly fired over the next few days!

:devil: You closed that last ticket with an overly aggressive click. Because of this workplace violence, you are on probation and no longer eligible for movement within the organization. :devil:

This happened to me over "aggressively" throwing away my garbage after lunch :(

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Arsten posted:

This happened to me over "aggressively" throwing away my garbage after lunch :(

The gently caress?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
To be fair, chaos dunking that balled-up napkin killed thousands.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think the only time I'd try the counteroffer tactic is to say that you've been getting calls from recruiters/headhunters lately and while the jobs they wanted to talk to me about haven't really matched up to my career goals, the amount of money they're offering has started to get 'up there.'

It's easy to say thanks but no thanks when they're offering comparable pay, but you know, I've got an obligation to my family to hear out offers that are above [Amount you want to get paid]

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

GreenNight posted:

The gently caress?

I was looking into moving off of my job and into the NOC back in the days I worked help desk, but I was one of three people that made the help desk look good - another of which had just submitted his two weeks. After I submitted my interest to the NOC manager I told my boss, who wrote me up and put me on probation after the very next lunchtime.

It was keen. :v:

Male Man posted:

To be fair, chaos dunking that balled-up napkin killed thousands.

It's 2277 and Boston still hasn't recovered from my actions.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I would never accept one as a Full Time employee, but I've accepted one as a contractor. It's easier for a boss to throw more money at something that comes out of capex here so it wasn't a big deal. I definitely burned a bridge with my contracting company though by accepting a counter offer, having it retro'd, then finding a new job 2 months later.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Arsten posted:

I was looking into moving off of my job and into the NOC back in the days I worked help desk, but I was one of three people that made the help desk look good - another of which had just submitted his two weeks. After I submitted my interest to the NOC manager I told my boss, who wrote me up and put me on probation after the very next lunchtime.

It was keen. :v:
Cool, so a very similar situation to me. :v:

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Cool, so a very similar situation to me. :v:

Look on the bright side, I have advice!

Kill them and wear their skin to take their power

I in no way condone the killing or skin wearing of any living person - note that politicians are not recognized as people as stated in the Magna Carta.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Colonial Air Force posted:

Speaking of, we have an employee here (not in IT - sales, in fact, which makes this worse) talking about this job at a competitor she's applied for and interviewed at. She's been asking everyone, including her boss and other senior managers, what she should do.

Better hope she actually gets the job, because her days here are numbered.

:lol: What did senior management have to say about that?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 31, 2016

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Tab8715 posted:

:lol: What did senior management have to say about that?

Well, I'm not privy to that, but they had a brief meeting this morning with her boss. I'm sure I'll figure it out soon enough!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I found the bugs! in my own computer :downsowned:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:gonk:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Arsten posted:

It was keen. :v:.

How did your manager not realize that ends up with you leaving anyway?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I took a counteroffer in 2012 or so, and it was a great decision. In my case, my boss who is the CIO, went to the CEO who approved a promotion and large pay raise. He would not have been able to create the new position for me without some kind of leverage.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How did your manager not realize that ends up with you leaving anyway?

Because I was young and dumb. I stayed. :downs:

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
career development question: I am a system admin by experience, manager by business need, and a problem solver all around. I can write simple programs and scripts in numerous languages, including perl, php, powershell, bash, etc.. I never learned c++, though I wanted to when younger. Is it worth it, in the year of our lord 2016, to pick up c/c++? I feel I have the necessary scripting skills and management experience to weather the future slaughter of IT jobs, but I don't want to just weather it, I want to flourish. Is learning c++ going to open any future doors, or is there something better to gently caress around with in my limited spare time. For reference, I have made it through lesson 12 of learn c the hard way without learning anything that was not extremely apparent from my powershell and php experience.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

adorai posted:

career development question: I am a system admin by experience, manager by business need, and a problem solver all around. I can write simple programs and scripts in numerous languages, including perl, php, powershell, bash, etc.. I never learned c++, though I wanted to when younger. Is it worth it, in the year of our lord 2016, to pick up c/c++? I feel I have the necessary scripting skills and management experience to weather the future slaughter of IT jobs, but I don't want to just weather it, I want to flourish. Is learning c++ going to open any future doors, or is there something better to gently caress around with in my limited spare time. For reference, I have made it through lesson 12 of learn c the hard way without learning anything that was not extremely apparent from my powershell and php experience.
In my career, I've professionally written a couple hundred lines of C, a few small patches in C++, but read a few tens of thousands of lines of C code. It's worth knowing for the reading more than the writing, IMO. More and more of the systems programming is moving towards higher-level systems languages like Go.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Vulture Culture posted:

More and more of the systems programming is moving towards higher-level systems languages like Go.
I'll often drop down to node.js if I really need to be close to the metal.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

anthonypants posted:

I'll often drop down to node.js if I really need to be close to the metal.
don't trigger me

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

adorai posted:

Probably not. I'd focus on cross platform scripting languages like Python, Ruby, and Tcl, s well as how to write SOAP/REST queries in XML. These are all going to be far more useful in IT.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

psydude posted:

Probably not. I'd focus on cross platform scripting languages like Python, Ruby, and Tcl, s well as how to write SOAP/REST queries in XML. These are all going to be far more useful in IT.

I would also suggest a familiarity with SQL in general. It's useful when you need to quickly check on many things that link to a database of some sort, most of them use a SQL-like syntax so you can troubleshoot them fairly quickly.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

The new cool poo poo is written in GOlang. C is universal though

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

I took an counteroffer and so far its good. I even got a perm contract with the counteroffer.

Key things were i think;
I wasn't flat out denied when I asked for the raise. But was told to wait a few more months until I was working here for 1 full year.
I made it clear that I liked working here but that it was financially better for me to work at the place that offered me a better salary.

I'm reading all these horror stories about taking an counteroffer. I don't need to be afraid right?They made me permanent with this offer. Thats a good sign, I hope?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Did ask politely for raise, promotion or Full-Time employment?

A counter-offer is presented when you've formally told your employer your leaving the company.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

Did ask politely for raise, promotion or Full-Time employment?

A counter-offer is presented when you've formally told your employer your leaving the company.

I Politely asked for a raise.
I said; I have migrated the AD, WSUS and DHCP servers to windows 2012R2. I have done a great job at Tier 1. Management is getting compliments about me frequently. I got MCSA server 2012 certified. But in terms of salary, i'm at the lowest of the low, can we change that?
Was told to wait a few months.
Got an offer from another company, Messaged my boss and told him that I got an offer from $_otherplace and asked if we could talk.

I insinuated that I woud leave the company and take the offer that $_otherplace offered me. They then finally buckled and offered me a raise + perm contract.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Sefal posted:

I Politely asked for a raise.
I said; I have migrated the AD, WSUS and DHCP servers to windows 2012R2. I have done a great job at Tier 1. Management is getting compliments about me frequently. I got MCSA server 2012 certified. But in terms of salary, i'm at the lowest of the low, can we change that?
Was told to wait a few months.
Got an offer from another company, Messaged my boss and told him that I got an offer from $_otherplace and asked if we could talk.

I insinuated that I woud leave the company and take the offer that $_otherplace offered me. They then finally buckled and offered me a raise + perm contract.

I will never understand Tier 1 managing AD...
Then again, I'm currently in the process of digging Tier 1 out of several systems at my new job as well.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

SEKCobra posted:

I will never understand Tier 1 managing AD...
Then again, I'm currently in the process of digging Tier 1 out of several systems at my new job as well.

They don't here. The other tier 1 coworkers don't migrate/ deploy servers. The senior who let me do that, only did it because he trusted that I would do it right. And to help me develop. I'm always naggin him about projects. every time I'm done with something I ask him if I can do X or if he has something else in mind.
I'm glad he lets me do these things because it does help me learn alot.

Sefal fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 1, 2016

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If you're updating your resume, don't put Tier 1 on it. Say you're a Jr. Enigneer or Sysadmin, include those accomplishments on your resume.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If you're updating your resume, don't put Tier 1 on it. Say you're a Jr. Enigneer or Sysadmin, include those accomplishments on your resume.

Oh absolutely. I'm tier 2 now. but I still call myself jr sys admin.

When can I stop calling myself junior?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sefal posted:

Oh absolutely. I'm tier 2 now. but I still call myself jr sys admin.

When can I stop calling myself junior?

You've got an MCSA. Call yourself System Administrator. As far as HR cares you're a Microsoft Certified System Administrator. (I know it's Solutions Associate)

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

psydude posted:

Tcl ... SOAP ... XML

Network engineer spotted ;)

Totally agree with your larger point, but Tcl is a weird-rear end language that nobody really uses outside of the networking world (where it's extremely common). I wouldn't ever answer the question "hey what language should I go learn" with Tcl unless your job is full-time network engineer. Same for SOAP and XML. Much of the world has moved on to REST and JSON data because it's less of a loving nightmare to deal with than XML. That's all just nitpicking, though.

I like VC's suggestion of learning enough C that you can read it and follow what's going on. Due to the manual memory management and static typing, there's a lot of stuff you just don't have to deal with in a language like Python. Which are also the source of 99% of bugs in C programs, so being able to spot them is helpful. But it's pretty rare that you'll ever need to write a line of C as a typical sysadmin in 2016. Maybe to fix a bug in an abandoned Apache module or something. The only doors being a C wizard will throw wide open are game dev and embedded systems programming.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 1, 2016

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Docjowles posted:

Totally agree with your larger point, but Tcl is a weird-rear end language that nobody really uses outside of the networking world (where it's extremely common). I wouldn't ever answer the question "hey what language should I go learn" with Tcl unless your job is full-time network engineer. Same for SOAP and XML. Much of the world has moved on to REST and JSON data because it's less of a loving nightmare to deal with than XML. That's all just nitpicking, though.

I like VC's suggestion of learning enough C that you can read it and follow what's going on. Due to the manual memory management and static typing, there's a lot of stuff you just don't have to deal with in a language like Python. Which are also the source of 99% of bugs in C programs, so being able to spot them is helpful. But it's pretty rare that you'll ever need to write a line of C as a typical sysadmin in 2016. Maybe to fix a bug in an abandoned Apache module or something.

These days I prefer Powershell for my network automation tasks :techno:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW1FpcpiDns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Docjowles posted:

I like VC's suggestion of learning enough C that you can read it and follow what's going on. Due to the manual memory management and static typing, there's a lot of stuff you just don't have to deal with in a language like Python. Which are also the source of 99% of bugs in C programs, so being able to spot them is helpful. But it's pretty rare that you'll ever need to write a line of C as a typical sysadmin in 2016. Maybe to fix a bug in an abandoned Apache module or something. The only doors being a C wizard will throw wide open are game dev and embedded systems programming.

He does a lot of network stuff though, so I figured it's probably a good skillset to pick up. But yeah, it's very much a network centric language.

XML and SOAP just won't die, despite the industry's best efforts.