Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Got an interview tomorrow for a helpdesk support role and I'm trying to decide on questions to ask them at the end. In the past I've mostly asked about trivial things like dress code. The careers sites recommend asking about training opportunities and whether there is scope for promotion. Of course I am interested in those things, but it sounds a bit ballsy; IT training being as expensive as it is and wanting a better job before I have this one. Is it a good idea? Has anyone got any questions they think have helped them in an interview?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Thanks for that everyone. I'll definitely use some of those. :)

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Thanks for everyone who gave me advice for that interview the other week. I got invited for a second interview and now have a new job! :toot:
The same morning they told me, someone else offered me interview for another job. Guess my latest CV re-write was an improvement as I hadn't had anything but recruiters calling me for months.

Nice pay bump (I pushed for a little more than I normally would and got it). Briefly met the team and they seem like a good bunch. Got invited to their Xmas night out, but still get to go to my current works' do. I really like the company I'm working for just now, but there was no scope for advancement and I've honestly been here too long because I was comfortable.

It's also in Edinburgh, which is one of my favourite cities, but I'm looking for flats and it's frighteningly expensive. There was a one bedroom flat with a combined kitchen/living room charging £1300 a month in rent. :stare:

Still, all going to plan I should be sorted out in time for the hogmanay street party.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

adorai posted:

Those aren't the norm, there are social programs in america too. Just like there are poor and homeless in europe. I know most goons have probably already made up their minds on the matter, but if you look at real numbers, when adjusted for taxes and social benefits, an American (read: US citizen) at the poverty line still has a better standard of living than many OECD countries, including much of southern europe. The simple fact is that we are wealthy enough as a whole to complain of going to a "crappy" free clinic which is probably no worse than the free clinics in Canada that CLAM DOWN is celebrating.

https://mises.org/blog/poor-us-are-richer-middle-class-much-europe

From the mises institute, so if you are a liberal you will probably dismiss it outright.

Honestly, I'm just tired of our most vocal canadian constantly talking poo poo about the US.

Why would we dismiss it outright..?

wikipedia posted:

the Mises Institute, is a tax-exempt libertarian organization located in Auburn, Alabama, United States.[5] It is named for Austrian School economist Ludwig von Mises [...] Austrians argue that logical positivism cannot predict or explain human action, and that empirical data itself is insufficient to describe economics, which in turn implies that empirical data cannot falsify economic theory, and that logical positivism is not the proper method of conducting economic science
:lol:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

lampey posted:

The ideal candidate for many entry level jobs is a related degree, 3 years of experience, and a recent related certification.

Surely by definition entry level applicants don't need years of experience?

e: although I guess an overqualified candidate working for less than they're worth is 'ideal' for an employer

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 3, 2016

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Not mine.

But topical.

Flush DNS.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

How can you get fired for attending an interview (assuming in your own time)? Is that remotely legal?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

What's up IT people and grooming themselves on the job?

Nail Clipping, Filling and even bushing their teeth...

I've never seen this unless nose picking counts as grooming

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

A colleague asked if his son could do work experience with us and my manager agreed.
I've given him an overview of our systems, had him set up a new user and computer and watch some support sessions. Now I'm out of ideas and he's here for another two days. Poor kid's going to be bored out of his skull.

Also I can't browse the forums all day with him sitting there.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

alg posted:

It's also super easy to wear a suit, everyone should own one that fits really well

Agreed,.
A couple years ago I forked out on a nice fitted suit for an interview. It felt like a huge indulgence (I never normally wear a suit) but my old one was a cheap, shapeless polyester thing and I would have felt self-conscious wearing it.

I got that job and another less than a year later, so it paid for itself very quickly.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Xmas bonuses have been pushed back to February. And they'll be lower. And they're pushing us to take it in stock options.
This was announced today in an unexpected meeting.

How red is this flag?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

Is it a culmination of other "cost cutting measures" (i.e. gently caress your benefits)? If so, time to :yotj:

This is allowing them to defer costs to a later fiscal reporting cycle. The option part lets them divert the bonuses from drawing cash-on-hand. Are they actual options or RSUs? Also, I'd bet they don't vest fully until 2 or 3 years.

If this is isolated, it's still a hell of a warning sign.

I don't know much about how options work, but the phrase "3 years" was present.
It's isolated as far as employee benefits go, but our budget is also less than we'd hoped (in particular not getting the extra team member we need) so now questioning the motive for that. :(

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Avenging_Mikon posted:

win+p gets you monitor replication options, win+arrow keys moves windows, ctrl+p for print, etc etc.

Knowing shortcuts isn't a big deal. Hell, ctrl+shift isn't great, as I can just double-click the word in most things to highlight it for copying, and triple-click gets me the whole line. My hand's usually already on my mouse so it saves having to move a hand to the arrow key.

Knowing shortcuts that fat fingered users might hit is useful. Looking at you, ctrl+win+C :mad:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

When I was strictly 1st line and never got to do anything interesting, it's was very hard to frame my CV in terms of accomplishments.
Certs are good for getting off the bottom rung.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Does the no mean they don't need the skill for that position? Why would they put them in the job description then? This makes no sense.

Antirequisites
Strictly no communications skills allowed.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

What are people using for network monitoring these days? We're using an old version of Whats Up Gold but we need to update to a newer version or we'll lose vendor support. Figure we should look at other vendors while we are at it.

SolarWinds looks OK but I dont want to deal with their sales people. PRTG also looks promising. Either way its going to be a ton of work getting migrated to any new system I suppose.

I find PRTG pretty intuitive and user friendly

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

Anyone got recommendations for OCR software?

For small or bulk jobs?
I'm in the process of evaluating some OCR systems for our legal team (thousands of printed contracts)

ABBYY does the job and is easy to set up, but it's pretty expensive
Autostore by Nuance has some additional features like add-ons for our MFPs and you can put filters in the workflow, but it's the least intuitive thing I've used and the documentation is shite.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Had a client at my last job where everyone was a domain admin. They had a shared drive they wanted certain folders have restricted access to.
Also everyone was a schema and enterprise admin because why not

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

An internal position has opened up and I'm dusting off my CV for the first time in three years. Man is it badly written, how the hell did I get my current job?

Now I have to frame minor projects as grand accomplishments when one of the interviewers was there and will smell any bullshit. I hate justifying my existence.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Methanar posted:

You don't need to. You already know some of the interviewers. Let it be a friendly discussion about whatever they want to talk about to show that you're comfortable with the subject matter; you don't need to rave about how important it was that you set up the wifi enabled coffeemaker.

Thanks, that is a much more sensible way to approach this.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The internal position I applied for hadn't been mentioned for a while, so I figured the interviews would be pushed back til after xmas. Nope, just got told by my boss they're tomorrow morning. :stare:

He did say not to worry about getting dressed up, so hopefully it will be somewhat relaxed.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

A team lead position for our helpdesk opened up and I was encouraged to apply. I didn't get it, and was at first bummed out, then confused.

Nobody got it because after the interviews it was decided that the role would be changed to a full management position, requiring years of management experience. Our new structure will look like this:

code:
                head of IT
                    |
                IT Manager (current boss)
                    |
               Helpdesk Manager
             /                \
          me                  1 other tech
More Chiefs than Indians now (is there a more PC term?)

Me and the other tech are speculating our current boss is hiring his own replacement because he's planning a coup. He doesn't get on with the head of IT, who since a big row about a year ago is his manager in name only.

Head of IT has been with the company since it was under 80 users - it's now over 1000. He's a nice guy but would be the first to admit he's not technically knowledgeable, and I honestly don't know what his responsibilities are (he works in a different city to the rest of us). He's not involved in IT strategy and the company has obviously outgrown him. He is old university friends with the CFO however.

I don't know whether to find this amusing or just frustrating. The chance of promotion was dangled in front of me for the better part of a year (there were several delays) and another opportunity won't come along at this company.

I think I've reached the point where I have to decide between being comfy where I am and moving some place I can advance.

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 19, 2019

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Why do some employers insist on lengthy application forms?
Why are you making me fill in page after page of stuff that's covered in the CV and cover letter you also asked for?
Why are you making me add, line by line, the dates and grades of every subject I took in frickin high school?

Maybe they're filtering out people like me who end up going "gently caress it, maybe my current job's not so bad after all :effort:"

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Most of our userbase were already set up to work from home occasionally and only a small portion need to access anything over a VPN so so far (touch wood) it's been quiet for us.
Our sister company though has a culture of nobody ever working from home and everything is on-prem. Most people don't have laptops and it seems like there's a run on Dells just now and you can't get a Latitude for love nor money anywhere in Europe. So glad it's not my problem.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Recruiters messaging on linkedin are so cagey about salaries. Would it be rude of me to just outright ask what the job pays before I agree to take a phonecall only to find it's less than I make currently?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Is it a bad idea to include expired certs on a CV?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

cum jabbar posted:

When I'm hiring, any signs of self education are good and expiration isn't important

thanks!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

One time I did support for a company where everyone was a domain admin.
It was a workaround the previous MSP did for reasons forgotten. That worked well with the windows file share permissions.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

We have ~300 users worldwide, of which ~25 are nominally based at the same office as me, of which 5-10 will be in on any given day. None of our server infrastructure is at that site.
What a waste of 2 hours of my day the commute is.

e: only in myself 2/5 days. Was very much considering leaving when they were pushing for 3/5

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 25, 2023

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

My company's been floating the idea of oncall for a while and I hate the thought of it, even if it came with a good raise (I'm sure it won't). It wouldn't be a huge amount of work, but I can't relax if I can't fully disengage with work.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

sup bitches, just got back from Iceland, I don't miss working in IT whatsoever

Neat!
I'm also recently back from Iceland. Unfortunately it was to do IT. And the part I was in looked like Mordor

Still, more interesting than normal for a work trip

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The Fool posted:

whomst among us has never found an unlabeled and undocumented box in a closet and preformed a scream test

I've never heard the phrase "scream test" before. I love it

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

We just ditched zoom this month. Lot of people who loved zoom and hate teams are very pouty about that but at least the CFO has made it clear it's her decision not IT's

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

What are people here using for server and network monitoring?
I've been using PRTG for years and it's fine, but ahead of our maintenance renewal my boss has asked to explore other options (especially if they're cheaper). Am I missing out on a much better product?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I used Migrationwiz years ago and it was smooth as butter. 400 user migration was a piece of cake.

I used it again last month and it was garbage. 8 users took two weeks to migrate. Errors all over the place, data trickling and stopping completely, support was no help.
Then it randomly picked up the pace and completed.

Would definitely try a different product in future