Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I was going through some Nexthink training and I LOL'd when they brought up that they have some good instrumentation for Teams, especially video call quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Blurb3947 posted:

FINALLY got a job offer after 10 months of searching for work. It's a level 1 position at an MSP, they said I'd likely move up relatively quickly based on my experience but holy hell am I glad I got something at least.

:yotj:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

On a more serious note, yeah, "PCs that are hooked up to specialized lab equipment" and are only used for that one specific purpose is a perfectly valid reason to use LTSC/LTSB. But how many computers are we talking about here and what portion of your fleet? Anything not hooked up to a mass spectrometer or whatever and just used for normal end-user stuff shouldn't be on LTSC/LTSB.

At my site, about 1500 machines out of around 20,000 total PCs including people's laptops. I do quarterly security patching with end-user control of when the reboot actually happens. Our compliance isn't great, but we do try, and Security Governance knows those machines are snake's nest so we get some latitude. We're rolling out network micro-segmentation this year, so I can start putting more controls in place. Oh, and we found a Win2K system in use last week.

Instrument software can be amazingly bad. I've got one vendor who insists that UAC be disabled. Those machines are super firewalled. In my experience, the Venn diagram between people who are well-versed in Windows software development best practices and people who know what a mass spectrometer even is, is an infinity symbol. You get better control of the instrument by finding a chemist that can code than teaching a programmer how to do mass spectrometry. Your software is, in general, gonna suck, but it will do science.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I've done a good bit of supporting machines that are instrument machines, but not at that scale. I'm curious, what percentage of those would you say use LTSC? And is your group responsible, is there a specific end user computing group assigned at that scale, or do vendors manage their own devices? Always seems impossible to say one size fits all with that stuff.

Micro-segmentation seems worthwhile for sure. Are those machines on their own VLAN now, with less access? Do end users use those machines for general purposes stuff, or is it purely locked down to just running the instrument and exporting results, etc.?

I'm not sure of the percentages of LTSC, probably in the 60-80% range. We are the end-user computing group. Vendor techs have to do a lot of stuff, but day to day support is on my team. The networking situation is sub-optimal, everything is on the general corporate network. I am not at all happy that a malicious thumb drive dropped in a parking lot on a different continent could compromise my lab systems. We do sometimes have vendors refuse to allow a domain join or AV software installation, we put those behind a gateway system - our firewall people won't support that many small firewalls. Microseg is going to be a godsend in security terms.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

We've got a team in Networking that has already installed new switches in campus, and we went live with the first two buildings last week. We should get the next two buildings switched over late April or early May. Then I start writing firewall rules; I've actually got some already built that I can use as templates.

Oh, and Internet access? I'd love to kill that entirely, but there are license servers, remote support from vendors, cloud-based interactions, and just way too much to be able to easily write one set of rules.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

at this point just have the NTs reveal themselves and we'll assume everyone else is on one spectrum or another

<crickets>

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Far from it. We had issues where stacks of Meraki's management plane would crash and the only fix is to reboot the entire stack. There is no command line. If there is no GUI, you can't config anything on the switch.

If it's Cisco it could be some of their bullshit rebranded Logitech switches from a decade ago! Those pieces of poo poo were my first introduction to modern networking with VLANS and all that. It's a good thing I've forgotten most of that, the Cisco consultants my employer had had set it up had not only got us to buy bullshit, but they had us buy bullshit that had memory leaks when spanning tree issues came up because they managed to create an actual loop with the physical cabling. They also couldn't diagnose it, so we had recurring network outages until I rechecked their wiring diagram with where the cables actually went. I wish I could name and shame, but I killed those brain cells years ago.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

The Fool posted:

Do you mean Linksys or did I black out?

I probably did, bullshit that starts with an L.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Silly Newbie posted:

One time I enabled Windows firewall on an RRAS server. That I was remoted in through. It was fun.

I did that by screwing up an iptables rules update. While remote. On a Saturday.

Sometimes in interviews I talk about my experience in terms of mistakes. "Unix? Let's see, I've done an rm -rf * at the root level of a machine, etc., etc." That should show that you have hands on experience in the real world, and you're not just parroting exam material.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

There's a policy for disallowing connecting to a Domain network if an unknown network is connected, that might be in play.

I found that when I got a ticket for a laptop on a cart that had its wifi turn off whenever you plugged in the barcode printer it existed to support. It turns out the barcode printer connected via USB, but it was using a USB-Ethernet adapter for some bizarre reason. So you plug it in, there's a new 192.168.0.0 network connected, and wifi gets turned off. That took a while to figure out.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

Does anyone here use IPAM? Ive asked around and having trouble finding anyone who does!

We use it. I get some value out of it when troubleshooting network issues.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

Gotta replace this Thursday. Director ordered ~200 one-foot ethernet cables... but its like 2+ feet across.

Im JUST new enough to the industry be more excited than annoyed.

Goonspeed! And share the After photo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

One of the functional levels gets you the AD recycle bin which I have no idea why it wasn’t a thing up until that point.

We went from 2003 to 2016 in one project, staged I think 2003 -> 2008 and 2008 -> 2016. I once commiserating with a friend over his woes trying to set some policies that were introduced with Win10. Poor guy, the DCs had no idea what he was trying to do.