Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Misogynist posted:

But you're out of your fuckin' gourd if you think there's less people on the business side to impress and not more, or that the soft skills associated with a degree are becoming in any way less important in the workplace.

No one really cares what specific subject matter you learned in college; you probably forgot most of it the second you graduated. A college degree is a piece of paper that says for four years you worked with others, you met deadlines, and you accomplished a reasonably complex and stressful goal without giving up. Walking in to an interview and saying "well I taught myself how to code" tells me that you can code, not that you can do the job.

E: Thants

wicka fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

evol262 posted:

The current "climate towards higher education" is a lot of young people who got degrees because they had been told a degree in anything at all will get you 6 figures and a corner office, then they all got law degrees because that would get you six figures". The world doesn't work that way. But now they have a ton of loans and no good way to pay them back, so they're railing against it.

You are EXACTLY right. When I finished school I had no idea what I wanted to do or even if I wanted to stay in IT, so I ended up working data entry for about a year and a half. Every single person I worked with had at least a bachelor's degree (a couple had or were working on master's). But they all had degrees in fields that had no defined career path, at least at the bachelor's level (e.g. biology, anthropology). People think they're against higher education, but they're really just against poor planning.

Plus, it's not a coincidence that all this angst over student loans sprung up at the same time that states are being pressured to lower taxes and thus reduce higher ed funding.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

JHVH-1 posted:

Unless you already know the ins and outs of whatever tech they use they probably won't hire people just because they have a college degree.

This would be a good point had even one person suggested hiring people solely because they have a degree. Unfortunately, literally no one ITT has said that.