Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Having worked for Microsoft doing premier support, it is all up to how good of an engineer you get on your ticket. They have a huge, private database of solutions to leverage. A bad engineer doesn't know how to search through that and will waste your hours, be ready to raise hell with the account manager. There are also a stupid amount of tickets that get solved from public sources, so exhaust yourself on searching first Guarantee the team will collectively laugh at your ticket if they can Goo.. Bing the answer in a few minutes. Lots of people will share the solutions they get from premier to save other's the cost.

:toot: Accepted an internal IT position today after doing the above stated support and MSP work for a decade.

Phuzun fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 4, 2021

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Docjowles posted:

My favorite bullshit vendor shenanigan is how when you first sign the big contract, you get the red carpet, white glove treatment. Then 6 months in you get the dreaded email from your account manager saying he's been assigned to a different role. But don't worry! Your new account team JUST HAPPENS to be in Bangalore or Romania or whatever, but that is no reflection of their abilities or the vendor's commitment to your success. They are exactly as dedicated and highly trained as the original group and you won't even notice the change. Narrator Voice: you notice the change.

Unless you're a total whale of a client for them, that poo poo will happen like clockwork every time.

Yeah, we'd regularly get the comment "wow, can't believe I got an American in the phone" while working at Microsoft. Gotta offshore most of the help to pay for the staggering amount of middle management at that place.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

The MSP that I worked at previously was sharing Office 365 Business Apps accounts between machines at an elderly, long term facility money (religious non-profit that MSFT won't approve for non-profit prices, so done in spite). They kept a detailed spreadsheet of which account was used on which machine, so as to install on 5 machines each, saved in a OneNote page. The actual users of those machines, which were not shared machines, only had O365 email licenses. This resulted in calls to re-activate the apps often because there were over 50 machines and a few of these users had also clicked on OneDrive to sync items, which i can only imagine is a HIPAA violation since the shared account is what OneDrive used. Shortly after they started this practice, I told the manager how stupid they are and began refusing to take any tickets related to those accounts.

e: thinking on that customer more, none of their take home laptops or any machines has Bitlocker or any encryption happening, which I'm fairly certain is also a HIPAA issue.

Most of the small businesses that they work with were also sharing other accounts. Way to many of the business owners also were super controlling and set the domain user passwords for the employees, keeping their own lists of passwords, typically in a word document on their desktop. Just a staggering amount of bad IT practices because "that's how they want to run their business" or "it's easier for them, make the customer happy" regardless of consequences.

Phuzun fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 5, 2021

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

MrKatharsis posted:

Practice by lying to take a sick day and go for a walk in the woods.

Mentally sick is a thing, taking a nice walk is a treatment. Not really lying except if the company does the "mental health isn't real" garbage.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I just left an MSP as well. A truly awful small family thing. I was looking to leave before covid happened and the interview processes got halted. So stuck it out while I arranged myself as wfh the entire time. They went on living and traveling like nothing is happening, at least a quarter of the 30 person business caught covid. Did the "we care" image while never enforcing masks, distancing, or any other precaution. But I was wfh, so let them be idiots. Then the election happened and the follow-up insurrection, which they fully supported and spread the "Antifa just making us look bad" crap. Told them I wouldn't work another day for them until they explained that position and was let go.

Got a higher paying position with a real job title, top tier healthcare plan, and a few other financial benefits. gently caress family owned business, especially MSPs.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

The position that I was just hired for was something they were moving slow on. I had a phone interview right away, a second with the IT director and several managers, then nothing until I followed up nearly a month later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I recently turned down a job and decided to also throw a match on the bridge due to how awful it was. It was in person and the VP joins with a mask around his chin until I stop the interview 5 minutes in to ask if they take the pandemic seriously. Like, signs on the door day they do, actions in the room clearly say they don't. Pay and benefits weren't great, was also not feeling desperate to work at another MSP. So when I was pushed for a reason that I was turning it down, I laid into them the facts on how bad covid is in our area, how many people that I personally know that died and that I was being polite by not leaving during the interview.