Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

mayodreams posted:

I've done two O365 tenancies with ADFS here and it is really not hard to do.

Side point/rant:

I've decided I'm tired of this company's approach to running infrastructure into the ground, and I'm looking elsewhere.

I get a message from an internal recruiter for a place and job that looks really good. I respond back and we arrange an interview for this morning, and he/she asked that I complete the 'candidate cover sheet' with some bullshit questions like '3 things that make you tick' and my overall GPA. I gave an N/A for current compensation and 'negotiable' for desired range. She/he responds back that I need to provide the the compensation answers, so I gave a range that I am looking for, and declined to give my current pay.

I get a response that the interview is cancelled and 'good luck with my search'.

I was furious because I took time off to have an interview in quiet (I work in a cube farm so it is impossible for me to do this at the office) and I get blown off? I wrote the following reponse:

I know it is snarky and angry, but what utter and complete bullshit.

Good for you. Hopefully your response makes that guy think twice before harasing potential employees. Its hard enough to go through the interview process without giving out past/current salary details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Dark Helmut posted:

As far as dress, I'm not a stickler, especially if you are coming from work or something, but if possible I would always suit up. Leaves your recruiter confident you will represent their company well and makes the best possible impression on someone you could be working for. At the end of the day, when you're on contract with me, you're my employee and you're representing my agency so just be mindful that in order to submit you we need to feel comfortable that you will make a good impression both during the interview and beyond.

Does this also apply to the West Coast? I will be looking for a more system admin type job in the next year or so, but I grew up with the honest belief that ties were for weddings and funerals.
Are suits really desirable over here? I have never worn one to an interview, always went well.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Race Realists posted:

Just got a call from my school wanting me to come in for an interview for a part time IT job on wednesday.

nervous as gently caress because 1. i dont have ANY certs 2. im just now finishing up CBT Nuggets Network+. THAT'S how much of a greenhorn i am to this 3. This would be my first IT job

What kind of part-time IT job?

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
Always take as much money as you can get. Your company would(and many do) fire you in an instant if they could save a few bucks a year. 'Company Loyalty' is a scam to keep timid people in their jobs for less money.

A new hire at my company worked for 5 years at a large retail company with no raises. While they let go 3 employees because he worked so hard(and cutbacks). When he went back to school and was offered a new job with us, they offered him a massive raise(like 50%). He finally realized they had been screwing him the whole time.

Get what you can from your job, because otherwise you will be walked on.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

stubblyhead posted:

I can only speak for myself, but I think for me it's been about 5% being pretty smart, about 10% personal networking and a solid 85% pure loving luck.

This is accurate for nearly everyone in a good job, even if they don't believe it themselves.
I had a horrible job until the father of one of my friends recommended me to a position, and I moved up from there.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

RoryGilmore posted:

50k/year in NYC. No formal job description, it's a startup so it's basically 'do whatever is needed to help the company grow' now, which is being the main support for multiple clients both remotely and on site (it's just me so I'm doing everything from the low level support with users to maintaining the servers/backups/etc), developing our presence online, training new hires for the lower level work, and now setting up clients in additional offices (so setting up the networks/servers there and working with vendors to get the things we need).

He told me 50k/year is generous in the first place for what I'm doing, but he tends to bullshit a lot, so I came here to ask if that was a good number for what I do. I did say "sure sounds great" for the time being, but I think I'll start to look for other work.

50k in NYC for all that? You are getting screwed. Oh, and since they are moving you to salary without any negotiation, get ready for 80 hour weeks until you resign!

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Not really, it was a miracle my boss didn't make me take two more tickets after my 13 hour day yesterday. We've always been understaffed. I think it's because the people doing bean-counting see our call volume and think it's fine, but they don't realize that our calls are frequently an hour + drive apart. I regularly make a 3 hour drive each way for two of my sites. It's funny, we lost our biggest contract because the parts weren't available and we had too many tickets for our number of employees nationwide, but they really haven't learned anything.

I'll make sure to use words like crushed and nervous breakdown when I ask for access to the internal job postings. Should be even more effective since I'm actually being seen and medicated for an anxiety disorder.

Are you salary, or just getting absurd amounts of overtime?

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Bhodi posted:

It sounds like you hate working, don't worry in a few more years you'll barely even feel it anymore

Just going to empty quote this...

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

evol262 posted:

The boot camp apprenticeship/internship seems to be "we pair you with an experienced dev with a company and work you to death for a few weeks. Now you're a developer!

It isn't A+

E: I missed it earlier, but what bearing is " being a child of the internet age" supposed to have on anything?

It probably means like most people in their late teens/early twenties, they think they know a lot more about IT then they actually do.

My issues with the older generation revolve around not knowing where the power switch is or giving up when something unexpected happens. With younger people its more frequently "Well, it did this, so I googled it and tried this. And now it won't turn on!"

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Knight posted:

Today was a nightmare. Internet connection down and spotty network problems lead to finding the router had a hardware failure, and replacing it took us through a circus of poo poo because neither of the groups who had installed our new phone system bothered to record how the vlan was configured, the owners's decision to daisy-chain the PCs through the phones and save money instead of running separate lines to avoid a common failure point proved disastrous, meaning we had neither phones nor PCs working at those stations until the vlan was reconfigured, and our company's history of just adding switches, cables, and panels on top of old redundant ones sufficiently sent everyone on wild goose chases while doing this. 6 hours of downtime. Tomorrow I get to start pushing out 30+ VPN logins and clients.

I have seen this at a few places I work with. When I took all my CCNA courses, Cisco spent a few chapters screaming 'BACK UP YOUR drat ROUTER/SWITCH CONFIGS!!!', is it really that common to not keep backups of configurations?

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

SaltLick posted:

The key to being a success in hell desk is not being the stereotype of a grumpy, smelly, IT guy. If you can talk to people and not make them feel like an idiot while helping them you will go far.

This is the key to almost every job.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Che Delilas posted:

Honestly, my message is to the people inside the industry. Imposter syndrome was discussed on the last page, and people come into these threads with cases of it regularly. Again, because it's so second nature to us, many of us don't step back and think about what the troubleshooting process really entails, and how much work our own experience and knowledge do for us automatically. I like to point this out explicitly so IT people, especially the newcomers, will hopefully feel less anxious about it, or at least think about it.

Sure, if there's an error message to work with :v:. Of course then you have all the remaining steps, like evaluating the answers and discarding useless and/or harmful information and on and on. My point being that when an IT person thinks, "I just Google the problem am I really getting paid for this?" they aren't accurately representing the steps they actually take.

This is very true. If my wife went on Google to try and fix an error message that popped up, it would take her hours as she would have to look up referenced terminology, figure out which solution actually applied to her situation, etc.
It's also about knowing how to search. If my computer is crashing with an error message, searching for 'my computer is crashing' won't help much. 'error 0x00452' is better. The best would be attempting to identify what seems to be occurring when it crashed, perhaps a time or a specific program. 'word crash error 0x00452' should quickly find the problem.
And while I'm sure many of you think that is common sense, you probably don't deal with non-technical people often enough.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Methanar posted:

Well I got treated like an equal today and it was pretty nice. Until they told me I'd be cleaning the yard (raking loving dirt) for the next 4 days. I had already set up my own desk and build my own computer, put it on the domain and then I was pulled away to be told lolyourrakingdirt. I was given a tour, told about the AD structure, projects, shown the server room; then dirt.

If I wasn't so spineless I'd have immediately said "No. There has been a misunderstanding here. I am here for a reason and that reason is not cleaning your yard."

This is either a hilarious joke or you have zero self respect. Or possibly both.
Truly a computer janitor.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

ElGroucho posted:

Did you accidentally join the military, RakeGoon?

Mods, you know what you have to do.

metavisual posted:

And "RakeGoon" is the best name ever....RakeGoon should change his username to that!

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

A lot of IT people tend towards arrogant and selfish conservatism/libertarianism so it's actually a good thing to make sure the kind of stuff Vulture Culture mentioned is brought up and not smugly dismissed.

It has less to do with 'I'm too good for this' and more to do with 'that isn't my job, I wasn't hired for this'.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Methanar posted:

I lied. I didn't have a rake. So instead for 8 hours today I picked up this trash by hand and all the other trash on whats maybe 500 acres.

I thought about this. Then I realized it didn't excuse anything.

lol

This actually made me feel better, until my back got sore.

I hope it snows so the land is extra miserable so I can finally force myself to go talk to someone.

I tried to go and talk to the guy who gave me a personal speech on the first day and made me feel somewhat valued, 3 times, but he wasn't around or in his office for any of them.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

psydude posted:

I'm pretty lazy, so I make a point to never work more than I have to.

Exactly this. Work intelligently, automate everything, turn off all devices at 5pm.(and cut out at 4 if possible)

People who work 80/week are either too dumb to do their jobs properly or suckers.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

jaegerx posted:

His name is evol. And despite being a Linux tech I hate him too.

This is what I though of also.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
The guy who keeps working at his abusive job is an idiot who needs to grow a pair and leave. But that certainly doesn't mean that all millennials can be painted with a 'needs to be babied' brush. That's mostly media bullshit and the changing perceptions of (rather spoiled) boomers.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
I get 3 weeks vacation(non-banking), 4 'personal holidays', 6 sick days(that bank) and 7 or 8 holiday days. Not shabby(for :911:) but I have been here for 8 years.

Edit: I'd definitely like more vacation days. I think 5 weeks a year would be a good sweet spot.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

evol262 posted:

I don't think it's possible to have too many vacation days...

I disagree. I like my job(most of the time), and being off for too much time would hurt my knowledge growth, ability to work on long-term projects, and massively contribute to boredom. I hear stories of people taking off months and that is baffling to me.(personal feelings, everyone is different)
But a week off nearly every 2 months? That would be nice.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
Gonna be vague here, but a position has opened up in my company that would be better in many ways, and offer me more of a challenge than my current position(though it would only be a minor pay increase and that section of the company is in flux, it would be more focused on working with servers and not endusers).
However, my company is insane and requires me to ask permission from my manager before we can apply for an internal position, in department or outside of dept. :iiam:
I sent my boss an email asking if he minded if I took a look at the position and... silence. I tried bringing it up and he gave me an odd look and changed the subject.

How does someone approach this? Just... push the issue? I try to be tactful at work, which has helped over the years, and I really don't want to burn any bridges(especially since in most cases, my current boss is an awesome guy). Oh, and keep in mind my bosses' boss is an rear end in a top hat who will undoubtedly attempt to block my transfer.

Mrit fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 21, 2015

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo. At least most sane people will have all in-band management on a separate vlan, which should prevent this from being a big issue.(disclaimer - I'm still working on my CCNA)

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

TerryLennox posted:

That laptop is Methanar's ticking time bomb.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Methanar posted:

Not the email server. Just the only way of interacting with the email server.

This is slightly different.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
Edit: whoops

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I know this is a dumb thing to get excited over, but I just used logmein for the first time. I feel like a wizard, setting up printers by IP (because gently caress WDS) from 1000 miles away.

WDS is horrible, and many printer issues can be traced to Microsoft's class drivers being poo poo.(as that is what WDS will automatically install)

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are the Robert Half IT salary guides worth anything? On Tuesday I'm going to have a meeting discussing conversion to full time. I need a significant raise to be able to stay at this position, because I didn't realize how hard health insurance and a second person's significant medical expenses were going to gently caress my wallet. On the bright side, the amount I need is still within the Robert Half guide's range.

I'm also in a position where within a couple months I'll be providing some T2 support that nobody else on help desk can provide. It's currently being provided by the head of the development department, who has plenty to do without taking tickets. I'm hoping I can leverage that to at least put me at a T1.5 level of pay. It also took them three months to find me, and I'm hoping that their desire to not be drastically understaffed will give me leverage too.

I'm thinking of starting out asking 55k in not-Boulder Northern Colorado. They do pay well by all accounts, nobody has said how much they make to me but everyone agrees on that at least. The problem is that when I got my contract, I was stupid and desperate and only asked for 34k. I know there's a few Colorado goons in here, does that seem reasonable? Does it seem like I could ask for more?

I'm applying for jobs this weekend anyway, I'm nervous. I'd like to stay where I am, but I have mouths to feed.

Almost no company will give a 70% raise. You'd be better off getting a new job.
Disclaimer: I got a 45% raise once, but I was horribly underpaid, the company was desperate to keep me, and it still took 5 months and the intervention of the Sr. Vice President to get it approved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The incoming director of IT has no IT experience. He's just a friend of the CEO.

Is the rats fleeing a sinking ship image appropriate yet?

Managers don't necessarily need to be skilled in the field they are managing as long as the staff is intelligent and he listens to them. But you are probably screwed.