Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I got a new :yotj: and everything seems suspiciously nice :ohdear: I got myself a mac desktop and everything. Of course, we're probably merging with another company next year so I'm sure it'll all be flushed down the toilet. I know HR has warned us that the current pension is going to be paid out, so I have that to not look forward to! 401k vest is on a 5 year plan 0/25/50/75/100 but hey - could be worse!

It could be in the place I just left... The boss begged me not to poach on my way out and now I've got ex-coworkers messaging me to let them know if there are open spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Misogynist posted:

What's the percentage match?
66% on the first 10% after the first year, nothing for the first. They really, really want you to stay longer term and the benefits are structured to encourage it. Of course, with the merger, who knows what it goes to.

They also have some weird vacation policies, you accrue but cannot use any vacation days for the first 6 months. Like, the system locks you out of it even if managers allow. HR said that what most managers do is let you do it off the record and then once 6 months goes by you go back in and edit it in.

Edit: I'm on that bloomberg list, and the info is either wrong or outdated, placing us far too high. I think the policies have changed downwards since last year, and I don't know how old that data is.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 17, 2014

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Can't you do the same only better by using a credit line or second mortgage secured against your current property to make a down-payment on the other property? The penalty is pretty harsh...

Are you SURE about the ROI? I looked into renting my place out and I decided that it really just wasn't worth the hassle. I can't imagine you making more than the financial hit is worth.

Edit: Wait, this isn't BFC.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
NK has a tech arm of the government that is segregated from the local public and treated like kings. There's also the possibility of someone external finding access and selling a map and how-to to NK. There aren't any details either way as yet.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm pretty new to linux stuff, is that really what regex is all about? Finding ways to transform the text output of other commands into something usable?

It's the ability to transform or capture data into usable data by way of line noise. It's cool, I speak regexp.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Of all the things to get spergy about... Come be in IT! Isn't this wonderful? We have MULTIPLE sections on the forums to be pedantic about this stuff.

Also: spanning tree what what?

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 28, 2014

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I don't disagree with your comments but

Zero VGS posted:

The Windows DCs were so hosed that a CCIE couldn't even figure out

:lol: that you even asked him to try, of course he instantly went "gently caress this gui poo poo" and stuck it on what he knows.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 28, 2014

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
He meant show him the door to the break room so he can sit down and have a casual 10 minute chat over coffee about specialization, usability concerns and a networking department's role in the overall technical landscape.

Like an adult. Obviously.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Where did CF go, by the way? I missed it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
They're the same person. He changed his name / some mod changed it a year or two ago. He was a goon in a well about virtualization a year before that.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Roargasm posted:

I would do it in a second but I was hoping they would find me first :spooky:
Don't do it; it's a really bad idea. I don't mean morally, I mean yeah that too but unless you're really into that sort of culture it's probably a bad fit. Internal morale is really, really bad and has been ever since Colin Powell threw them and the CIA under the bus for the bad yellowcake intel. It's only gotten worse post-Snowden. I guess if you could get a job doing satellite stuff or whatever, that might be cool, but right now is not a good time for intelligence agencies unless you like to labor under a persecution complex.

I once got headhunted by Palantir and I told them that with their software, they should already know I'm not interested in working for their company. Spying on citizens really brings out the snark in me, I guess.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 3, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Agreed. If you can pass it, you're absolutely qualified as at least a junior. I'm not sure about a "Full" (mid-level?) but the problem here is that it's in a timed lab format, so reading a book is only going to be moderate to low assistance on the test itself. Be aware it's going to be tough and if you haven't done linux before you're probably going to fail it the first time. That's why it's both valuable and a good baseline for a linux admin.

The networking and new technology thing is great once you're looking at moving up to mid/senior level; if you're shooting for a low to mid level job I think it's less important beyond the standard "hey there's an open slot at my company" thing so don't dedicate a lot of time to it, I feel that time is better spent playing around on a home lab or learning perl/python/ruby (and bash) to land that first job.

But that's just my opinion, and really it all helps in different ways.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 3, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I have to reluctantly agree. My current job (headhunted off of LinkedIn) is the only one I've never had that was not a personal network referral job. Those contacts were from family, ex-coworkers and personal friends. However, all of those people (excepting nepotism) could vouch for the quality of my work and myself as an individual.

It's definitely a catch-22, as so many things are in the professional world - you need references to get a job but you need to have worked with people to get references. I don't know that joining a local club can short-circuit that, but it can't hurt. Just don't go into it expecting the local equivalent of a job fair.

Something else that hasn't been mentioned specifically in this case is building yourself semi-professionally via github or stack exchange. It's a fairly new idea but It shows an ongoing record of engagement while providing hands-on experience with real-world problems and tools. You also might learn a useful thing or two, and contributing to the greater whole is a good thing to do anyway.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Just the same reason people used it before; if you need sub-millisecond near-real-time control over processes.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
So speaking of RH, how much fun do you guys make of the cloudforms team? It's a pretty awful product and even our RH contractor can't get the thing to work well. RH can't / won't guarantee data integrity with a 3.0 -> 3.1 upgrade and every test upgrade we've tried has mangled the database. It's seriously half baked. We find bugs in the thing constantly and have currently open tickets where it's escalated up to the devs who are just sort of like "uhhhhh well it was never designed to work at that scale, we'll see what we can do". The internal thread/messaging model makes errors a total bitch to track down, and it just seems like it's got way more than a normal slew of problems for a product of that complexity. I get that it's less than 2 years old, but I'm having flashbacks to the old spacewalk satellite server.

I only assume you threaten people with "Be good on your next review, or you get sent to the cloudforms team!". Even my boss reconciles his cogitative dissonance with "Well, we've paid more for worse!".

Edit: Some of the stuff about it is just comical; because of how the caching / presentation was coded, you can't have more than one window open with the same login or it gets all confused. In TYOL 2015. Seriously. It even warns you about this when you log in, even they know it's dumb. It seems to be getting better, especially with the newfangled REST API (new in latest version!), but it feels like it really needed a bit more cooking time before you start selling it as an enterprise product.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 4, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Danith posted:

the previous admin had deleted his 2 directories that held all his scripts
The reddest of red flags.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I've been waiting for any excuse to post this:

Also. Please. No clipart.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

jaegerx posted:

When I did interviews, a guy I interviewed had "grep -r $hisemail /usr/src/linux" on his resume. We hired him.

Ballsy AND impressive!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Bladelogic optionally offers agent RPMs but you can't update remote agents with them, so they recommend you use their tarball format instead so it's more centrally managed.

I wish I were joking. Of course, VMware does the same thing with vmware-tools. I think Splunk does as well?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Who needs reproducibility, change tracking, or version control? Not you, I guess.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If you want something a little more gui oriented or are looking for a good release framework that does version control and spits rpms out the other end, I recommend checking out http://openbuildservice.org/ . Builds packages for whatever linux flavor you like. Really nice, full featured, new job uses it and I am pretty damned impressed.

FTR, I use gem2rpm for all my ruby packaging needs.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I've often thought a good barometer to a software's quality was their install procedure and scripts. If the software sprays poo poo all over the place, has a mandatory command-line interactive install (lookin' at you, HP) or some other obvious anti-enterprise layout, I'm probably going to give them a pass without even configuring the thing. This goes double for software that requires root to run or disabling UCS or any other similar issue.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
What's that? You need a 4gb of /tmp space to install your package? Wonderful!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
With the gradual move to ssh keys over passwords, thanks to EC2 and general cloud platforms, and since the new place doesn't have LDAP auth in all places, what kind of good internal escrow / consolidation / management programs are there these days for enterprise systems for things like ansible, jenkins, and rundeck to use?

Right now it's all manual, half ssh keys and half passwords with no centralized management or administration and that's just not acceptable. But I've never worked in a place that hadn't already "solved" this basic issue so my info is pretty outdated.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Whitelisting is pretty much non-existent due to overhead and management constraints. But then again, it's in healthcare so who knows. I'm long past being surprised at what that sector gets up to.

Something that's a little sideways, but if these are physical connections onto a managed switch you can use something like Cisco's CDP to get mac addresses on specific ports. Even if it's not Cisco, if you can just plug it into a specific network port, you'll be able to read / pull the mac address without needing a DHCP lease. You just might have to log into the switch to get the info, but all the switch needs is link up to read - doesn't need an OS.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Ahdinko posted:

CDP will give you nothing if its a PC on the other end.
Err, I used this exact method to track down rogue PCs a bunch of years ago. Unless I'm remembering what I did wrong, which is possible I guess?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Walls. WALLS. Open floor plans are productivity killers. But you may not be able to change that, so the next best thing is noise generators in the ceiling. It's pretty much mandatory if you want anyone to get any work done at all. Read/forward this unless you hate your co-workers:

http://www.hermanmiller.com/MarketFacingTech/hmc/solution_essays/assets/se_Sound_Masking_in_the_Office.pdf

As to actual hardware, it pretty much doesn't matter as long as you have enough access points to cover the space, enough electrical outlets, and two cat6 outlets (one for phone) to the desks. Velcro is fine, cable management for end-users pretty much isn't worth worrying about as long as the outlets are in sane places. You aren't going to be moving stuff around enough for it to matter.

It's less about what makes your life easier, though, and more about what makes THEIR lives easier. Docking stations, for example.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 16, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Open offices are terrible and everyone hates them, for good reason.

This article has a link to a whole bunch of studies that basically say that they suck, in number form:

http://www.fastcoexist.com/3021713/youre-not-alone-most-people-hate-open-offices

Not that you can do anything about it personally, but hey.

The real benefit of noise generators in the ceiling is that without them, the ambient noise level gets louder and louder because everyone tries to talk over each other and the sound just bounces around the space until people are basically shouting.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I do most of my learning on here, twitter folks, and https://news.ycombinator.com/news. I still check slashdot but honestly I don't know why I bother anymore. Reddit is worthless for deep tech stuff unless it's front page news; too much chatter not enough deep info.

I'm not super behind the times but I tend to consider bleeding edge as noise (I mean just look at this poo poo, who has time to even read a few paragraph blurb about every one of those?)

I like twitter a lot, here are a few I follow. A lot of them are security related, though I don't do it professionally at the moment I find reading about it more interesting than reading about the next killer cloud app.

@SwiftOnSecurity
@badiotday
@RanjibDey
@lusis
@stahnma
@docsmooth
@holman
@matthew_d_green
@infosecjerk
@binarybits
@timoreilly
@adrianco
@trevortimm
@thedarktangent
@csoghoian
@ioerror

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 16, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

X
HN is pretty once/if you know enough to greatseparate the wheat from the "Docker makes VMware its bitch", " JavaScript is awesome because it's the only language I know", "we built a website with 20 customers using this 10 second old framework" chaff.

Hardly anyone on HN has a clue about what it takes to make it past your first 6 months on a 5 man team. There's good stuff every day, but filtering the trash takes effort
The best part about HN is the hundreds of immediate dogpile comments once something like that shows up. Yeah, obviously as I said I have very limited patience for the framework of the second but HN tends to link enough really cool blog articles and such (unlike slashdot) that I still find it worthwhile. Plus, I like the minimalist format.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
hacker news, the site I linked. https://news.ycombinator.com/news

Edit: Note that "hacker" is somewhat a grandiose term for what's on that page and it's hardly news. I feel like it'd be ironic except that there isn't a hint of self-awareness to the entire website.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 17, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If you're massively underpaid, just go somewhere else unless there are a lot of incidentals that make it worth staying. More experience in new places is never a bad thing.

There are so many disadvantages to staying even if you do fight and win for parity - the toes you stepped on, your manager seeing you as either a prima donna or forever devaluing your opinion because you came in low, actually continuing to work for a company who was willing to take advantage of someone, friction from co-workers finding out you got a huge raise and/or were paid peanuts compared to them...

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yes, because presumably it's a temporary password that you're expected to change. I'm not sure if you're angling for some horrible breach of security but that's simply not the case.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
AAAAaaa where did your star go?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Am I misunderstanding, or are they claiming that you get lifetime support and upgrades for the life of any device?

Or is it some sort of "* As long as device meets minimum operating requirements" clause so grandma doesn't sue because windows 11 won't run on her celeron?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You guys know that confusing licensing is a deliberate moneymaker, right? And that it's unlikely to go away because it's so lucrative?

Their per-user license is probably going to be mangled somehow, with different sections for various "sites" as defined by people in different physical floors, and people wearing jeans in a special category or something.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Now if we can just get that cut and paste into the vsphere console we're really see some poo poo!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, there is. It might be in a new version, or at least newer than I've got. I actually interviewed at VMWare and it was pretty interesting to hear the amount of friction between the group responsible for the web interface and the rest of the company (and world) - they got a LOT of flak for what they tried to get people to move to and it made waves pretty high up the chain. They were pretty frank about it too, it's all a big joke even if they can't say it publicly (I can, I never signed poo poo!)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Well, you aren't going to be replaced very easily if they've announced a hiring freeze. That's actually in your benefit since they wouldn't be able to backfill your position and your manager would be screwed if you leave.

It sounds like you're already doing the work but without the pay. You're in a very strong bargaining position considering they've already slotted you for the work. It's time to revisit, aggressively, and if they don't go for it yeah it's new job time. I mean, they strung you along for 2 full years. You might as well ignore any promises they make to you at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Psydude you are wasted in post-sales. You've got the skills to get a way cushier position than that. Your job is to either deliver on the stupid promises sales guys sold the customer or tell them what they bought isn't going to do what was promised. I honestly can't imagine why you'd willingly put yourself into that position.