Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

There sure are a lot of people in a comedy forum taking things at face value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Alternative Racks

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Counterpoint: I worked from home and it was loving terrible. I felt like I was on a desert island, isolated from everyone else. I had no ability to influence anything and I had no idea what direction the company was taking. Some of this is directly caused by bad management, but for the most part just not being in the same office as most of the company put me in a bad position.

I'm loving stoked to be in an actual office with other people again.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

jaegerx posted:

Ugh. I'm out. Do you run ubuntu on your servers? Rhel is the default for every major company.

Wrong. It's Centos and AWS Linux. :smug:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Here's the thing, yes it's mostly going to be negative experiences. And yes some people do actually write a nice review of previous employers. But just because it's mostly negative doesn't mean it's not useful. A lot can be gleaned about company culture by reading those reviews.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

There's some really good advice about that sort of thing when you look at agile software development practices (regardless of how you feel about agile as a whole). Basically a story should never be written as "i need you to do X" because you shouldn't be requesting how something is implemented. Rather you would write a story that says "we need to accomplish Y goal" which is very different because it leaves the "how" up to the implementer.

I'm my mind tickets should be written this way because as the owner of systems I know better how things work than the people making these requests. My first question when someone submits a ticket for a technical request is usually "why? What is the expected result here?" And more often than not there's a better solution than what they were asking for.

tldr don't let users tell you how to run your systems.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Vargatron posted:

Just got word back from the hiring manager. He met with a HR rep this morning and is going to try and get some information as to the hold up on the offer. They're fine with pushing back the start date if the offer doesn't come today.

It just sucks waiting around for so long and I'm hoping this doesn't fall through at the last minute.

Some places are just really bad at HR. I've been in your exact position. Just keep checking in with your contact to see where the process is. There's not much else to do.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

The last few companies I've worked for have used lucidchart.com and I've had no problems with it.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

If you get an AWS account you can have all the VMs and simultaneously teach yourself another valuable skill.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

My monthly aws bill is less than a dollar. I'm only using it for s3 and some lambda functions that invoke SES. But even when I was using ec2 my bill was still negligible. And that's if you run your instances 24/7.

Even if the free tier isn't what it once was it's still cheap as poo poo to prototype giant systems that you just can't do at home.

Edit- and again, the experience that you gain from doing it on AWS provides another skill that is much more valuable.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 24, 2017

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

Get your company to get an MSDN deal with your MS volume agreement like me, and enjoy 200 bucks of Azure credits per month for whatever you want :smug:

But then you have to use azure...

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Can you guys drop some specific AWS free or cheap tier suggestions for labbing?

First figure out some service you want to learn. Using the Jenkins example that you posted earlier, set up an ec2 instance and install Jenkins on it (using the community AMI is cheating). Then build a custom VPC and deploy it there. Then script the whole thing using terraform (because cloudformation is a pile of garbage).

Just start small. There are a ton of labs here: https://aws.amazon.com/start-now/?sc_ichannel=ha&sc_icampaign=start-now&sc_icontent=2235 and here https://amazon.qwiklabs.com/catalog?locale=en (but these are a bit more in depth) I literally started off watching the videos here: https://aws.amazon.com/training/intro_series/ which are short and pretty easy to follow.

Now I'm an AWS Architect and I drink myself to sleep every night.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

the supreme ability to jerk off directly into Jeff Bezos' waiting maw

So you've also been to re:Invent?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

JHVH-1 posted:

I don't have much of a social network and not much family life (plus single), and found remote wasn't good for my mental health.

This is a lot of the reason I gave up my 100% WFH gig. My physical and mental health were seriously suffering when I'd go months between visiting client sites. I did all the things people say you're supposed to do in order to create a healthy WFH environment (create an office space that's separate from your living space so you have a real separation between when you're working and when you're off, get out of the house and work from other locations for a few hours, etc) but none of it worked for me. It can be awesome for a lot of people, but for some of us it just isn't a good fit. I knew I needed a change when I realized my life had been reduced to "wake up -> open laptop -> work until exhausted -> fall asleep in front of the tv -> repeat". I finally hit a point where I hadn't showered or left the house in 3 days and that's when I knew something had to change. It's weird that it even got to that point because I really value my work/life balance. There was just something about WFH that threw everything out of wack.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Punkbob posted:

The cloud isn’t magic and if you forklift your legacy stuff in there it’s a Superbad idea.

Oh yeah I forgot that most cloud migrations include a complete redesign of proven, existing processes. Silly me.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Another loving S3 outage in us-east-1... Just what I needed today!

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Thanks Ants posted:

Isn't us-east-1 the duct tape and string AWS region?

Nah, us-east-1 is the most robust region. It's where new services are deployed first and has the most tenants. I try to move services to other regions but it's a pain when you keep getting config errors because some ec2 instance type isn't supported in the availability zone you selected or that the service you want to use doesn't support the functionality available in us-east-1.

What's held together by duct tape and string is AWS as a whole...

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

My current company has 7 single person bathrooms on each floor. Blasting a turd in your own personal poop closet is the best.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What's the best way to pick up Ansible, Jenkins, and other data center automation tools? Looking through job postings and holy poo poo do cloud engineers demand high salaries around here. I'd love to get in on that sweet cloud payday while my career is still young.

Honestly, pick a project and automate it using those tools. Something like a basic elasticsearch stack. Write ansible code to deploy the application. Orchestrate it through jenkins.

You can get as complex as you want.

The current stack I've designed is:

1) packer runs ansible code in ansible-local mode to prebake AWS amis with middleware preinstalled but not configured
2) ansible code that handles configuring an instance when it starts (the deploy code) is packaged and uploaded to s3
3) terraform creates AWS resources with the EC2 cloud-init set to download the ansible deploy artifact from s3 and configure the application when the instance boots

Terraform and packer are kicked off through someone clicking a button in rundeck. All of my code is in github and is hooked up to AWS CodePipeline and CodeDeploy to package the ansible code and dump artifacts in s3.

So basically whenever an instance starts it configures itself based on the code uploaded to s3. You could cut out the entire prebake step but when you're dealing with poo poo like WebLogic or large middleware components that take a long time to install I like to speed up instance boot time by prebaking as much of that into the AMI as possible and just installing config files when the instance boots. (This methodology is one of the reasons I dislike AWS OpsWorks. It installs everything onto a blank AMI when a new instance starts.)

There's a ton of overhead in building something like this but then when it all works it's magical. I ran a rundeck upgrade the other day by uploading a new rpm to s3, changing a variable in an ansible playbook, and running "terraform apply"

I've got my automation automated. It's recursive. And it's beautiful.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 28, 2017

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Tab8715 posted:

Github link?

It's all in the company github. At some point I'm going to write up a skeleton for a lot of the poo poo I've been doing and publish it to my personal account but I just haven't had time.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

You can set your inventory file to localhost and write ansible code that just modifies the local system. Then you don't even need a remote machine.

Also I would seriously suggest to everyone who uses ansible to check out librarian-ansible if you're not already using it. It lets you easily externalize all of your ansible roles so you don't need to keep them tied into a specific playbook or duplicate code in multiple places. It's wonderful.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 28, 2017

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

n0tqu1tesane posted:

My brother and I recently bought a domain name just to have firstname@lastna.me, but I almost think explaining that the last two letters of our last name are the domain, and not lastname.com might get a bit tiring.

I bought lastname.name just so I could have the email and it still confuses people.

"No, it's just lastname dot name. There is no dot com at the end. Yes, that's my real email address. No, you don't need a dot com."

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Stop dating your cousins.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

TheFace posted:

36 and never having children. Nothing against those that want to have kids, just isn't for me

RFC2324 posted:

same but 38. kids are cool but I'm not the guy

Just turned 37. Same.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

This one definitely isn't.

Was gonna post this but decided not to be a jerk. Seems CLAM DOWN doesn't have that problem.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Sefal posted:

Welp, I guess i'm safe.
As I expected there were some casualties (a lot :/) but IT is safe.

Sucks dude. I can totally sympathize. I've been through that situation a few times. Once our entire office gathered for a teleconference in one of the big meeting rooms and what we thought was just a normal meeting turned into an announcement about them closing our office. The CEO couldn't even be bothered to show up on site. And as an added bonus when we left the conference room pretty much the entire sales team had boxes on their desks.

edit - I will also mention that I jumped ship pretty much immediately after that announcement because as a contractor I just didn't feel safe at all. The full-time IT staff ended up having jobs for the next 18 months or so then they were all given severance packages or the opportunity to relocate to Boston. I know every situation is different, but depending on your role, you could be pretty safe for the time being.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 10, 2017

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Sepist posted:

I had something similar at my last job. A born again christian who had a dream that Trump was elected, it made him believe it was God's will that he become president. That whole department was a HR nightmare

"I had a dream that I should receive a 50% raise. It is God's will."

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

My manager has never managed anyone before. I'm his only report. He has no idea what he's doing. It's hilarious.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Matt Zerella posted:

Just curious, what is her workflow that she needs both?

Just a guess, but she needs it to send email only.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I worked for a company outside of Philly who named all of the conference rooms after Philly landmarks. In addition to Liberty Bell and Independence Hall we had rooms named Pat's and Geno's, appropriately across the hall from each other. It made me chuckle.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Vargatron posted:

We like to use acronyms here to the point where they lose all meaning.

"Meet me in CAFLS_BICEFS"

Where the gently caress is that???

Calf Biceps makes perfect sense.

orange sky posted:

I had a customer that named all their servers after vodka brands

This is cute until it becomes annoying to work with. I worked for a small company that names all of their servers after Simpsons characters. And it was funny until I couldn't remember if the service that failed was running on Milhouse or Frink. That's when I switched all the names over to something normal and left the old aliases in DNS just in case.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 19, 2017

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Internet Explorer posted:

How.... how else would you know where to meet up? What are they called in Outlook to reserve them? I have so many questions about this post.

They just end up with generic names. The conference rooms in this building are <floor number><letter> which is boring but easy to figure out.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I have a friend at Rackspace who is always up Scoble’s rear end. I had no idea who he was but after a few of his posts showed up in my FB feed I put him on ignore. He comes off as a pretentious self important dick.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

If you do decide to travel for an in-person instead of a Skype interview remember that you should definitely wear pants. The optional pants advice is only for Skype.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

))<>((

Back and forth. Forever.

It’s a metaphor for IT you see.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I always find it weird when people need to draw this line in the sand between personal life and work. They can intermingle, friends. It's all good.

I mean, maybe? But generally I have nothing in common with the people I end up working with so it's just easier to be friendly in the office and stick to just getting my job done. Because I really don't care about how long it took to take your kids to soccer practice.

GreenNight posted:

I'm 36 years old, not married and no children. I live alone. I don't relate to too many of my coworkers.

Basically this. Plus I'm heavily tattooed and I got to a lot of metal shows. The way I spend my free time is very very different than my co-workers and there's not a ton of overlap in interests there. Every once in a while I'll meet another beer nerd though, and that usually works out well.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 9, 2017

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

GreenNight posted:

I have a very hard time faking interest in topics I don't much care about. It's a character flaw.

Probably the worst character flaw ever. I guess we're just poo poo humans because we'd rather not be engaged in conversations about topics we give no shits about. High five fellow lovely human.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

A job offer came in. It was an obscenely high number, the technology stack is loving awesome and the people seemed hella nice. But the commute was over an hour and I just can't do that to myself again no matter how much they're paying. So I tell them I need time to consider it while I finish out my other scheduled interviews.

A few days later I go on an interview with a different company and get an offer from them. Very different job. But they're in a restructuring process so I'd have more say about building out the tech stack. Sounds awesome. During the interview I mention that I had a previous offer on the table and I told them the salary, just to gauge the reaction since it's way more than I would ever ask for. A friend of mine works for the company so I've got him giving me the inside info because their HR department is notoriously slow. He tells me that his boss is definitely working on bringing me in and the offer is definitely coming. It turns out they are actually rewriting the job posting under a different position so they can match the salary from the first offer. I just have to wait for it to go through the process.

Sometimes throwing out big numbers pays off I guess.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Bob Morales posted:

Would you consider moving closer?

I want to stay in a city. I'm currently in Baltimore, which is super cheap. The job is actually closer to DC but DC traffic blows and the city is expensive as gently caress. Basically I'd be trading commute time for higher cost of living. Or I could move to suburbia but.... no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Sickening posted:

I am glad other people aren't jaded by the talk of "restructuring" because that would give me a bad feeling after.

Restructuring the technology stack. Not the company. They are expanding the department and bringing in new people to help them reevaluate the way they do things.

Poor word choice on my part.