Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

pram posted:

I just got this email

lol.

To be fair 15 years Linux sysadmin is quite possible. that's around when Linux hit the mainstream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Danith posted:

So last week I was sitting around doing things and my boss came up and said our remaining AIX system is now my baby, here's the root password, and the AIX admin has been let go.

Uhh.. so just being thrown in there, my current role being more of a computer operator/dabbling in a bunch of other things position, any tips on what I should look at on the system?

Check that it doesn't have telnet and ftp enabled by default in inetd in TYOL 2014 like the one I just set up a few months ago did :sun:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Che Delilas posted:

At the end of the day, it's your call of course. But I'm telling you a Master's is a waste of time and money for breaking into this industry. You need basic ability to code and some basic knowledge of fundamentals, and you will learn specific poo poo on the job as you go. Try to get some more opinions of people who are actually working in the industry, and not just academics, too (in other words, don't just take my word for it).

For what it's worth, I'm a senior software engineer and I have a (somewhat crappy) BA in History. I got here via networking and a part-time job at uni.
(Easier when the industry's hot like in 1998 when I got my first job, but on the other hand we have a tech boom right now, soooo...)

Once you've got that first job and have a bit of an industry track record, your degree doesn't matter at any place you'd actually want to work. Seriously.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Sql script works great on server - Push to git! Puppet agent grabs the file and tries to run it - fails! Copy file from local machine to server, run from powershell - fails! Errors out the rear end. hosed up invisible characters. IBM437 encoding? Copy raw text from git and save new sql query, run from powershell - success! Turns out git was changing our line endings by saving files with CR and not a CRLF. This did the trick https://help.github.com/articles/dealing-with-line-endings/ Just wanted to share this a-ha moment.

In related news git is native to Linux rather than Windows. :science:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ChickenWing posted:

Hey, are application developers allowed in this thread or is it haraam for me to come in here and start talking about my Spring middletier and how vexing our backend guys are some times. I can't seem to find a "working in software development" megathread and i pine for a sense of community.

If it helps once upon a time I was in best buy geek squad, that's basically IT right? :yayclod:

Well, we do kind of have our own whole subforum in the Cavern of Cobol :shobon:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

When I saw "RFC 1918" my first thought was "Maybe it's the Treaty of Versailles!"

Thanks, history degree. :eng99:

That was 1919, fellow history degree haver :colbert:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Dark Helmut posted:

I'm 40 and played Q2 with my cube neighbors over IPX at a Fortune 500 company. And we had a dedicated gaming LAN behind a locked door where we played all the early halflife mods like CS and TF. :smug:

Yeah - bear in mind a 40 year old now was born in 1975 and has therefore quite possibly been playing video games since they were a toddler. :corsair:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh I'm pretty sure this depends on where you are. If you terminate an employee here under normal circumstances, labour law requires you to pay them potentially a significant amount of severance if they've been around for a while. If they quit of their own accord, no compensation is required.

Shocker, America is a dystopian corporate hellhole. I'm not sure I ever heard 'severance' in an American-company context.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sickening posted:

One guy for example has his associates at a community college for an IT thing. Great! His graduation date was in 2011 and he doesn't have a job on his resume from then on. What did you do in that time? Were you chilling with the parents? Did you backpack Europe? Did you get locked up for smoking the green? Did you do work you weren't proud of?

Jail?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

KillHour posted:

So ~the future~ is Unix jails that have been around for decades?

Except jails have never been completely isolated, the idea is containers can be. Run ps in a chroot and you see all processes on the system, not just stuff started within the chroot. If you're root in the chroot you can kill off non-chroot processes, etc. Containers do namespace magic so it really looks to a process like nothing exists outside its container.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

For that have worked or are working at Amazon has anything changed since the the NYT Article-Fiasco?

Debating if I should make the jump, Glassdoor for the positions is strongly negative.

To be fair, Glassdoor for anywhere tends to be negative because people will only post there if they want to bitch (except when company management 'encourages' people to post positive reviews there, but that tends to be obvious ;))

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

adorai posted:

While I do not advocate age discrimination, I do believe that hiring a 20 something for senior anything is worth at least some additional scrutiny. I remember when I was 26, and while I didn't exactly have poor judgement then, I know that it has only gone up from that point. Honestly, hiring a manager in a diner shows poor judgement on its own. At least do it in a formal setting so that the future subordinates know the interview wasn't just a sham.

My second job out of college, I was a 'senior software engineer' at 22. Because everyone at the company was a senior software engineer, because it helped when dealing with people at other companies sometimes who might get snooty about talking to a junior guy. Granted, the company was only like 14 people so it's easier to do that kind of thing.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

This technology company doesn't allow .docx resumes to be uploaded. On a scale of 1-10 how much should this concern me?

Is it a Linux-oriented company? Is so thats a good sign :colbert:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

nielsm posted:

Only accepting the old, binary OLE compound document formats, and not the newer at-least-kinda-open ones, that's a good sign?

I was thinking more 'ASCII', actually.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Half the servers I manage are named after condiments. I was forbidden to call one of them gentlemans-relish :smith:

The other half are mostly warships. Again, erzherzog-franz-ferdinand was apparently not going to fly.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Is putting your minimal accepted salary on your resume normal now? Last 5 resumes that came in for an open position all had it.

That seems a terrible idea if so because you have now told the company youre applying to the maximum they have to offer you.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Note that Cylance turn off live lookups for their competitors for those tests. I.e. intentionally cripple them.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

https://access.redhat.com/security/vulnerabilities/drown

Why is SSLv2 still a thing? That hasn't been a thing since it came out. (Well, 2 years later, in 1996.) Why didn't OpenSSL strip support for it like a year later? Or a decade later?

Probably 'compatibility'. -no-ssl2 has been a build option for OpenSSL for ages, though, so if you're sensible (like me!) and you're shipping your own version of OpenSSL for some reason you turned that poo poo off as soon as it became clear SSL2 was broken-by-design and don't have anything to worry about right now.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

Plenty of places in the world where oil companies aren't the dominant employer in the area.

Yes, but 'the entire country of Norway, most of which's wealth comes from North Sea oilwells' is a bit more than 'local'.

(though Norway does, I believe, have reciprocal freedom-of-movement stuff with the EU so he's not as hosed as he would otherwise be)

Edit: btw 'I call HP Elite support and they tell me they only support HP m.2 drives which of course are 40% more expensive.' is obviously not surprising at all. That's not the same as HP saying other drives physically won't work, they're just saying they're not motivated to help you with that.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 8, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Methanar posted:

Alberta spotted.

I already posted this, but he said 'Also, gently caress you recruiter calling from London asking me to move from Norway to Sweden'.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sprechensiesexy posted:

You don't have contracts that cover this kind of poo poo? Under influence on the job = fired.

Surely committing literal felonies on the job also = fired.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Had the interview with the law firm for the "Lead Exchange Admin" today. Bullet dodged, although I wouldn't be a good fit either. They're doing an Exchange migration from 07 to 13 and want someone with firsthand experience doing that before. I've only ever done an 03 to 07 and that was at a simple one node site.

The current IT team is definitely a beaten down bunch too. There was a crusty old lawyer/HR hybrid (I think)

My limited understanding is that the partners at law firms often do all the management stuff themselves (poorly, because they've had a career as lawyers, not managers). So you probably got 'the lawyer that happens to handle all the HR stuff on the side'...

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

E2: I'm going to drink this whole bottle of Glen Fiddich, and then write Cover Letters, hopefully someone will get a laugh or something I don't know. I'll print them out on 220lb card stock, that way you can't fold it, bend it or shred it.

Come now, that should be fold, spindle or mutilate :corsair:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

psydude posted:

Speaking of America, how different is the British version of a CV from a resume, aside from length? Got contacted by a multinational based in the UK and they requested one.

Not very? At least I've written both (British guy who's worked in both the US and Britain) and it's been the same structure.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

alg posted:

Workers rights actually own.

Yeah...assuming you're the worker in this scenario and not, like, a CEO, why is 'this country has more workers' rights' bad? :psyduck: Having rights is good.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

lampey posted:

If you are printing it use A4 paper instead of letter. Because it is longer on a CV it is normal to include high school information even for people with advanced degrees, and to include hobbies. A CV can include references where a resume would omit them. It is not unusual for a CV to include a photo even for jobs that have nothing to do with physical appearance. A lot of personal information that would be inappropriate on a resume is expected on a CV, age, marital status, number of kids, nationality.

Excuse me but this is all complete bullshit do you even know how to British bro

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

What? Even IBM doesn't do this anymore.

I have had a job where I had to wear a suit and tie to work every day, but that was a software/management consultancy in New Jersey.

(I :yotj:'d out of it as soon as I could, mind you)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

My current office's dress code is 'make sure your nerdy t-shirt and jeans don't have visible gaping holes in them, and maybe wear shoes', and I've even been in violation of that.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

DigitalMocking posted:

It was their user database.
In plain text.
Full names, addresses, credit card info and to my :stonk:, a field labeled CVV2, fully populated for probably 80% of the records.

:psyboom:

I immediately got up, locked my office door and tracked down the CTO to show him and wash my hands of that shitshow as soon as I could.

You could probably have got good money for that on Silk Road!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I was under the impression polygraphs were pretty much useless and easily gamed?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Also, uh, 'entry-level' consists of words with meanings, guys. 'We require everyone to have 4-5 years experience in a similar role' is not that meaning because that means you have to have already entered, half a decade ago!

Like, I have to wonder if this was some kind of troll.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

gfsincere posted:

They aren't judges, so...what?

How do they even have that ability legally to say "I don't like your answers, go to jail" when they aren't judges and it isn't a court of law?

e: also I have a felony for assaulting a cop. So talking poo poo to Congress wouldn't be the dumbest nor the most ballsy decision I've made as a black man.

A hangover from the British Parliament, which was/is a court of law (the phrase 'court' derives from the actual mediaeval version, i.e. a king plus his advisors, which is what Parliament is as well) and back in the day could literally pass legislation to have people judicially executed.

This is why Congress can subpoena people too - that's generally a judgy sort of power.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

flosofl posted:

Agreed.

In fact I still don't have one with over 20 years in. Did it slow my progression? Maybe, but probably not. I'm in a senior position and making a competitive wage for my industry, let alone my age group. I'm happy and in a very good place career-wise.

Of course at the time I would have gotten a BS, I would have been limited to either a programming heavy curriculum or one that involved technology already years out of date. Neither of which made much sense, which is why I dropped out of college and just dove in.

Hello fellow non compsci degree haver with 20 years in the industry - its not the mid 90s any more. Just because it wasnt too hard for us in the dotcom boom does not mean its equally easy for todays kids given how everyone and their dog has been pushed to get a degree since. Its like the boomers complaining how people dont have the gumption to work their own way through college and buy their first house at 25 any more.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Langolas posted:

19 credits left on mine with an emphasis on ME history. Yay history

Sup fellow history major crew :sun:

Edit: Oxford University, if we're comparing colleges. Mine was built about half a millennium before your country even existed so suck it :colbert:

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 29, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

I don't want to sound like a prick, but how the hell are you a "senior Linux Systems Administrator" with little Linux experience?

'Linux, Windows, eh it's all tech poo poo and basically the same anyway' - his HR department :shobon:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

PBS posted:

Anyone else have 37.5 hour weeks? Works out to about 120 hours less work than someone working 40 a week over the course of a year.

Standard over here in the UK.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SEKCobra posted:

Nah, you just gotta marry someone and stay with them for - I think - 3 years.

It's going to depend on the individual country - there is no such thing as EU-wide citizenship per se, you are an EU citizen if you are a citizen of an EU member country. Also the Schengen agreement and the EU are not synonyms, though I guess they'll get a bit closer once the UK has left.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Woogles posted:

I can't flipping wait to move to Canada next year (hopefully.) Doing it with my employer's assistance and my wife has a very sought-after skillset so we should be fine.

Once we're over there I should be able to leverage my skillset to do more fun things; the getting over there is the hard part.

I just want to watch the UK burn from a safe distance really.

You will be a very unsafe distance from President Trump, dude.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

Jesus. Coffee is like the business world's equivalent of Mad Max's chrome huffing. Every single study out there shows how it has one of the best return on investments you can make in your employees.

I don't even drink coffee and I likely wouldn't work somewhere that didn't have it.

I worked for a place that stopped providing free coffee. Shortly after they also stopped providing paychecks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I can't believe it took me this long to think of it, and this is going to sound like a weird idea to some. But I've started recording important conference calls with OBS. Just a simple screen and audio capture. 3MB per minute.

Depending on where you live, that might illegal, you know...